Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
are you trying to tell me the collection of limited edition collectible 50 states quarters book I ordered off the TV won't pay for my future child's college education?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

yeah I eat rear end posted:

are you trying to tell me the collection of limited edition collectible 50 states quarters book I ordered off the TV won't pay for my future child's college education?

It will if they take all the quarters out, put them into a sock, bludgeon someone with the quartersock and take their money.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tubgoat posted:

It will if they take all the quarters out, put them into a sock, bludgeon someone with the quartersock and take their money.

Just like the good ole' days before Elvis came out with that damned song, "Please stop hitting me with quarter-filled socks"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

spit on my clit posted:

Just like the good ole' days before Elvis came out with that damned song, "Please stop hitting me with quarter-filled socks"

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A man gets beat with a sock full o' coins
In the ghetto (in the ghetto)

And he softly cries
'Cause if there's one thing that he don't need
It's bein' mugged for his cash & weed

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 19:45 on Jan 1, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No. Literally everything that's marketed as collectible that comes out right now isn't and won't be an investment. It'll be overproduced until it's effectively worthless. The only reason certain old things are collectible is that they're uncommon. That particular Honus Wagner baseball card is insanely valuable because only a few hundred ever existed and only a few dozen have survived and he's considered one of the best players to ever live. It's pretty unlikely that any action figure that exists now will be particularly valuable in our lifetime.

A few have snuck by in the past couple of decades by just being uncommon. There are a few highly sought after Star Wars figures that are way more valuable than you'd expect but only because relatively few were made. They aren't even popular characters but weird background characters that only got a limited run because nobody thought they'd sell. Then it turns out that die-hard fans that collect as many things as possible were seeking the things out like mad to complete their sets.

I don't even have any of them but high end action figures (like $2-300 hot toys/sideshow) often aren't a bad investment. Neither are Lego but I don't know if that really counts as action figures.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
LEGOs are more action-packed than any "action" figure and are valuable because you can arrange them in literally any configuration in which you can snap them together.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

My problem with nerd collectors are they are cheap as gently caress. I have probably one of the most complete NES game collections out there, at least one that was assembled naturally as a kid (~190 games), and I tried selling it a few times and I get lowballed to hell. No, you don't get a bulk discount. You can't find this many games still in their box with the manuals anywhere else for sale. Pay me a premium or gently caress off, I don't need to sell it, I'll just keep playing them. And screw trying to sell it piece by piece. That would take forever.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to like Lego but then when I got to be about 12 my dad told me I was too old for Lego and said I could have books instead, so I haven't had any Lego since then.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I used to like Lego but then when I got to be about 12 my dad told me I was too old for Lego and said I could have books instead, so I haven't had any Lego since then.

I'm sorry your dad is a jerk. :(

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I got back into Lego and went apeshit with it like 5 years ago. No regrets. They are awesome and building with them is zen as hell.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

We had like an entire closet full of those big plastic tubs full of legos, and I told my parents we should probably sell them but they said only if I sort through them and post the ads. That would have taken forever so I said gently caress it and we donated it all to goodwill. I hope some kids actually got to enjoy them instead of being scooped up by a collector and resold for a massive profit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Collectors aren’t looking for tubs of Lego anyways. You could have probably sold them bulk for around 6-8 bucks a pound though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

veni veni veni posted:

I got back into Lego and went apeshit with it like 5 years ago. No regrets. They are awesome and building with them is zen as hell.

:yeah:

Building with Lego is hella relaxing. It's really nice being able to just chill out with some music in the background snapping bricks together.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Collectors aren’t looking for tubs of Lego anyways. You could have probably sold them bulk for around 6-8 bucks a pound though.

We did have full sets including the boxes, but it would have taken ages to put them back together.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

We did have full sets including the boxes, but it would have taken ages to put them back together.

People will pay a lot just for certain figures, if you want an easier buck.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, one of the reasons you can always resell LEGO for at least a reasonable price is because loving everybody likes to play with those little bricks.

You're never too old to play with LEGOs. Ever. You can be too young for them but Duplo exists for that.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

There's nothing wrong with celebratory gunfire as long as you fire straight up or close to it. A proper celebratory bullet goes straight up into the air and only begins falling when it has expended all of the energy imparted by the explosion of gunpowder. Since it's propelled down only by gravity, the falling bullet is no more dangerous than a pebble.

The problem is irresponsible people don't fire straight up, they fire at an angle. Instead of going up in a straight line and then falling because of gravity, the bullet describes a parabola in the air, and still has a great deal of it's initial energy when it starts returning to earth.

Irresponsible celebratory shootists who don't know what they're doing give a bad name to law-abiding people who just want to celebrate events with gunfire.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Considering the effects of wind/drag and imperfections on the surface of bullets it's practically impossible to fire a bullet straight up.

If you're going to celebrate by shooting, make sure the bullets go in to something/someone, don't just do it in the air because you think you can defy the laws of physics.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I recently reassembled a small, 250 piece set that I had parted out into my (sorted) bins and it took me almost a full day to find the parts and put it back together. And even then I couldn't find all of them. It's the last time I ever do that. Either the set stays on display, gets torn down and stays in it's own separate bag. or it gets put into the parts bin and it's as good as gone at that point as far as I'm concerned.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BOOTY-ADE posted:

As the snow flies
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin'
A man gets beat with a sock full o' coins

And he softly cries
'Cause if there's one thing that he don't need
It's bein' mugged for his cash & weed

Whole 'lotta shakin goin' on! (in my cerebellum)

Wait, that was Jerry Lee Lewis..

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgoat posted:

I'm sorry your dad is a jerk. :(

I don't mind. I preferred books anyway.

Unfortunately they were mostly really bad books like Star Wars EU novels but we all must start somewhere.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Shoot the earth because it is the foundation of all our problems.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Celebrate by shooting bullets at your enemies

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Celebrate by blowing something up in a slightly unsafe way and burn some of your hair off. Preferably with alcohol involved somehow.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Celebrate by blowing something up in a slightly unsafe way and burn some of your hair off. Preferably with alcohol involved somehow.

This is a really fun thing to do. Yeah it's dangerous but that's the point. Me and my dad would dare each other to do idiotic things like "see who can make the campfire biggest", or "who can get closest while setting these gasoline soaked logs on fire". Making knockoff homemade napalm was also pretty fun. Getting your eyebrows a bit singed is just part of the fun.

I think it's just part of human nature to find giant fires of your own making both hilarious and also exciting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

There's nothing wrong with celebratory gunfire as long as you fire straight up or close to it. A proper celebratory bullet goes straight up into the air and only begins falling when it has expended all of the energy imparted by the explosion of gunpowder. Since it's propelled down only by gravity, the falling bullet is no more dangerous than a pebble.
Because drooping a rock on someone from a great height is perfectly safe? :confused:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like the crossover between people who like to shoot guns into the air to signal that they are happy, and people who think about the possible consequences of their actions, or just think about anything at all, is relatively small.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My problem with nerd collectors are they are cheap as gently caress. I have probably one of the most complete NES game collections out there, at least one that was assembled naturally as a kid (~190 games), and I tried selling it a few times and I get lowballed to hell. No, you don't get a bulk discount. You can't find this many games still in their box with the manuals anywhere else for sale. Pay me a premium or gently caress off, I don't need to sell it, I'll just keep playing them. And screw trying to sell it piece by piece. That would take forever.

I tried to sell a few of the Super Famicom games I bought for my own amusement back in the Netherlands and got guys messaging me all like "nobody in Holland speaks Japanese anyway, why don't you sell this game to me for 3 euros instead" and stuff.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

I tried to sell a few of the Super Famicom games I bought for my own amusement back in the Netherlands and got guys messaging me all like "nobody in Holland speaks Japanese anyway, why don't you sell this game to me for 3 euros instead" and stuff.

Lolololol! "Pirate dubloons? Pfft, those are so old they aren't legal tender anymore, they're basically jewelry in a shape you can't wear! I'll give you $4 a piece for them because I'm feeling exceedingly generous."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum posted:

Because drooping a rock on someone from a great height is perfectly safe? :confused:

That really depends on the size of the rock

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tubgoat posted:

Lolololol! "Pirate dubloons? Pfft, those are so old they aren't legal tender anymore, they're basically jewelry in a shape you can't wear! I'll give you $4 a piece for them because I'm feeling exceedingly generous."

Same but confederate money

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

This is the case with selling anything. Buying used is a minefield of people trying to rip other people off, both buyers and sellers. It's the reason "no lowballers, I know what I have" is a meme.

Relatedly, PHOU: Craigslist sucks and I wish it wasn't the preferred way of buying/selling certain items (motorcycles).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thing that drove me nuts when I used to sell poo poo on CL wasn’t the low ballers. It was people that would offer you full price and then lowball you once you met in person. That’s not low balling that’s not living up to your end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's hosed up that Quigley Down Under isn't a sequel to Quigley

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

1 should be a prime number and it's totally hosed up that it isn't considered one any longer. Basically the only reason why is that there's something called the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra that would have had to include an asterisk for "except 1" and instead of just revising the rule or writing a better theorem, some math nerds back in the 1800s decided to demote 1 to not being prime. But 1 IS prime! It's literally the most prime integer you can have! That's burnt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that drove me nuts when I used to sell poo poo on CL wasn’t the low ballers. It was people that would offer you full price and then lowball you once you met in person. That’s not low balling that’s not living up to your end.

Even giving stuff away for free isn't good enough for some people. I had a bar fridge I didn't need, so I offered it to anyone who'd come and pick it up. A woman said she'd take it and agreed to come get it the next day. An hour after she was supposed to be there I messaged her and she said she was on her way, but she needed to know if it would fit in her car. Not knowing anything about her car, I couldn't tell her anything more than the dimensions of the fridge, which I'd already mentioned in the ad. She asked if I could help her get it into her car and I said I could, but when she showed up about an hour after that it turned out she actually meant could I lift it into her car single-handed because she couldn't possibly assist in any way.

Next time I'll just put it out for hard rubbish.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

There's always a sob story too like "I thought I had the full amount but I forgot about this or that bill, please I need this man", or flat out lies like "*gestures at nothing in particular on the item* oh poo poo I didn't see that on the ad, you trying to screw me over bro? I can fix it but that's coming out of your end *offers 25% of the agreed price*".

Even though I understand that sometimes you just want to get something sold, the people who enable people like this are almost even worse. More people should be willing to hold firm and shut the door in the face of people who haggle after the deal is agreed on. That includes the people who don't give in and sell it for the full price after the guy realizes their scheme didn't work. Sell it to someone else that doesn't gently caress around out of spite even if it adds more inconvenience for you.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Haggling is the most bullshit concept I hate that other people seem to love. If i want your product and I'm happy with the price then I'll get it. If I'm not then i just won't. I'm not playing some game of personality x charm divided by stubbornness to save me 5%. I'm just not going to to buy the thing that you are pricing too highly.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

Haggling is the most bullshit concept I hate that other people seem to love. If i want your product and I'm happy with the price then I'll get it. If I'm not then i just won't. I'm not playing some game of personality x charm divided by stubbornness to save me 5%. I'm just not going to to buy the thing that you are pricing too highly.

I always thought haggling was disrespectful/hostile, like when you go to buy a car and haggle - that is such an unpleasant experience and at least when I did it a few months ago I felt violated and insulted after, and the salesman (yeah I know it was just the acting they are trained to do) was pissed at me for being so "difficult" because I didn't want to pay 895 dollars on top of the dealer fee for "reconditioning" which he couldn't/wouldn't explain what it actually was. It was a 2018 car, what the hell needed reconditioning?

I should have just gone with those no-haggle places I guess.

I get that in other cultures it is viewed differently, but i'll never be able to understand why you would choose to have every purchase be hostile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
sometimes I remember that people in our own society used to haggle for literally everything they bought and that we established the system of set pricing as a way to become more efficient and super appreciate it as a Thing That Exists

It has only been just over a hundred years since the advent of the modern grocery store as we know it, and it's like we've forgotten all other systems before it.

Just imagine having to wait at a counter and haggle about amounts FOR EVERY ITEM/TRANSACTION