Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You sure give a whole lot of shits about maintaining this dude's affair.

It appears to be equivalent to the number of shits you give about ruining a stranger's marriage for no reason and without knowing any context or details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Hang on I got mixed up, is the OP a waiter or a marriage counselor?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

You sure give a whole lot of shits about maintaining this dude's affair.

Nah, I just don’t talk about my guests or interfere in their business. I’m a professional bartender, not a middle aged gossipy housewife/husband.

pile of brown posted:

It appears to be equivalent to the number of shits you give about ruining a stranger's marriage for no reason and without knowing any context or details.

Also this

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

pile of brown posted:

Perfectly healthy marriage relying on the discretion of wait staff to keep the affairs under wraps.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Perfectly healthy marriage relying on the discretion of wait staff to keep the affairs under wraps.

So if you saw him one night with who you knew to be his wife, and then again a few nights later with who is obviously a mistress, you would say something? How do you envision that playing out?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
That man? Albert Einstein. And the whole bar stood up and applauded, and I was promoted with a big raise.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You seem strangely protective of the person having an affair. :raise:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

So if you saw him one night with who you knew to be his wife, and then again a few nights later with who is obviously a mistress, you would say something? How do you envision that playing out?

I certainly wouldn't give a poo poo about blowing his cover. He shouldn't be cheating and it isn't up to me to keep his secret.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You seem strangely protective of the person having an affair. :raise:

Yea, I would be protective of my guest’s affairs, whether that be literal or in general. It’s none of my business - my business is providing hospitality. Some people here seem overly eager to jump into their guests’ business. Let me be clear, I don’t care about the dude, if I knew him outside of work and had a personal relationship with him then I would feel differently, but the relationship is professional. It’s not about enabling his affair, it’s about giving him good service so he comes back and keeps spending money.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I certainly wouldn't give a poo poo about blowing his cover. He shouldn't be cheating and it isn't up to me to keep his secret.

It’s not your place to blow his cover either. I don’t consider it keeping a secret, I consider it keeping my head down and doing my job.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Merry real Christmas restaurant goons! Holiday season is over, we did it!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you're having an affair you're a raging rear end in a top hat and I don't really give a rats rear end about your privacy :shrug:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
though to be honest I should have remembered that a great deal of people in the industry are morally bankrupt shitheads also so whatever

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Perfectly healthy to expect waitstaff not to pretend to be private dicks and instead act as waitstaff

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
I hope that outing some dude who may or may not be cheating on his wife (polyamory/open relationships are a thing) is worth your job I guess, because whether or not that guy has any personal repercussions, at a country club he's 100% telling your boss that you're loving with his personal affairs and you're 100% getting fired for it. I don't have a whole lot of experience with private clubs like that, but I know that members pay good money so they can go to a place that makes their life easy and enjoyable. (this isn't aimed at the person who originally posted, it's aimed at all the internet heroes who would Protect The Lady From The Bad Man)

I'm also super against cheating and affairs, I think anyone who engages in that kind of lovely behaviour is a lovely person. That said, I've got a couple restaurants that I go to fairly often, but not often enough to be personal friends with the staff. I go to them with lots of different people, including both my primary partner and my girlfriend (who are two different people and who both know about each other). If a staff member at a restaurant tried to "out" me in front of my girlfriend about me being there the week before with someone I was obviously loving (or whatever), she'd laugh about it and tell them they're a moron, but I'd be pissed that someone went out of their way to try to gently caress with my personal life in a place where they're being paid to provide service? Just another perspective I guess.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 2, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ApolloSuna posted:

Seat everyone by the shitter.

Install a shitter next to every table.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

Install a shitter next to every table.

Turn every seat into a toilet so you don't have to stand up to poo poo. Every table is now the best table.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I thought this thread was for arguing about the morality of tipping and wage inequity, not about what interventions into the lives of others are justified by casual observation of their behaviour in a private establishment

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
OP, seduce his wife.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Discendo Vox posted:

OP, seduce his wife.

Does the wife Get Down?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Constantly.

Posted in the chat thread. I'm at my hrt appointment. So hype aaaaaaaa.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Manuel Calavera posted:

Constantly.

Posted in the chat thread. I'm at my hrt appointment. So hype aaaaaaaa.

Congrats!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

JawKnee posted:

though to be honest I should have remembered that a great deal of people in the industry are morally bankrupt shitheads also so whatever

Hey rear end in a top hat, gently caress off. I’m not morally bankrupt. You’re an idiot if you think context doesn’t matter. I don’t cheat and I don’t condone it, and me not jumping in there M’Ladying all over myself doesn’t mean I do.

It’s simple: people expect a certain level of privacy, even in a public setting. As a GOOD bartender, I’m going to give them that. If you want to be a lovely bartender, cause a scene, lose repeat guests, alienate other guests, and get fired, feel free.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Appointment done. And she recommended that I speak with a therapist about it more before making such a big decision. Because I don't present with the dysphoria about my body. There's things I'd like to change, but things aren't causing me stress and discomfort. :shrug:

It makes sense. I'll be a good girl and follow the advice. Because it's a good idea.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

The Maestro posted:

I don’t condone it

This is what exactly what you've been doing though. You're basically saying that you'll help perpetuate that dude's lie but you don't approve of it. And if the customer is thrusting the responsibility of keeping his secret on me he can go gently caress himself.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 2, 2019

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

pile of brown posted:

Perfectly healthy to expect waitstaff not to pretend to be private dicks and instead act as waitstaff

You're shifting goalposts again.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Maestro posted:

giving him good service so he comes back and keeps spending money.

dude if it's about wanting to trade your labor for money, why are you giving this guy valuable extra service for free? You could get a few extra hundo outta this situation, easy

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

dude if it's about wanting to trade your labor for money, why are you giving this guy valuable extra service for free? You could get a few extra hundo outta this situation, easy

who says he's not getting tipped hundos for being a discreet and charming bartender at an upscale and elite location?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

This is what exactly what you've been doing though. You're basically saying that you'll help perpetuate that dude's lie but you don't approve of it. And if the customer is thrusting the responsibility of keeping his secret on me he can go gently caress himself.
Oh I forgot where this was a sitcom where he was running interference.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Mezzanon posted:

who says he's not getting tipped hundos for being a discreet and charming bartender at an upscale and elite location?

in such establishments tipping is expressly forbidden

i get health, dental 401k, decent hours and ok to medium pay for my family and an inside angle for when the guillotines start to fall

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Shabadu posted:

in such establishments tipping is expressly forbidden

i get health, dental 401k, decent hours and ok to medium pay for my family and an inside angle for when the guillotines start to fall

better than tips

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Maestro posted:

By being out in public? Sure, I guess. Hospitality is also about discretion. Why would you out them and create a scene thus ensuring they don’t come back when you could just serve them like normal and make money off of them? It’s really not that hard to not say Welcome Back or whatever. If they aren’t causing a scene or breaking any rules or laws, then who cares? It’s their business, and if they’re coming to a country club and not a normal restaurant or bar, then I guarantee the wife already knows. By making a scene you’re just taking a customer away from yourself.

I mean, the ideal of service at that level is staff that is graciously anonymous, but know the guest's habits unobtrusively because that is what the House does as an organization.

In any case, unless its you they're cheating on, its not the waitstaff's problem. Maybe that's just a client they're buttering up, either way you're about to stick your dick in the mashed potatoes to white knight for someone without knowing the situation.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

times that are correct and ethical and moral to intervene: when someone is suffering physical violence in your establishment, or as a result of imbibing too much alcohol will potentially cause bodily harm to themselves or others, or when patrons are physically ill and in need of first aid

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shabadu posted:

times that are correct and ethical and moral to intervene: when someone is suffering physical violence in your establishment, or as a result of imbibing too much alcohol will potentially cause bodily harm to themselves or others, or when patrons are physically ill and in need of first aid

I'd add verbal abuse or harassment to that, but otherwise, but otherwise, yeah, that's about it.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Its harder to discern and much less legally clear, but as a human being it's moral if not always correct for the circumstances

Your actions are also much more constrained in what you can and should do in those circumstances. Just noticing it and making sure it doesnt escalate into physical abuse, and keeping tabs on the victims are about all you can do most of the time.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
What about if you see a guy drop a pill into his date's drink? I mean it could be alka-seltzer. You don't want to be a white knight drama queen or hurt your tips. Maybe she forgot her medication and he's taking care of her

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Anne Whateley posted:

What about if you see a guy drop a pill into his date's drink? I mean it could be alka-seltzer. You don't want to be a white knight drama queen or hurt your tips. Maybe she forgot her medication and he's taking care of her

Yeah, I reckon I'd find a discreet way to let the date know about that one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

hey, the more money a guy has, the more valuable the confidentiality is to him.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

hey, the more money a guy has, the more valuable the confidentiality is to him.

trump doesn't seem to value confidentiality much :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hauki posted:

trump doesn't seem to value confidentiality much :thunk:

how much did he pay the national enquirer to kill those stories?