Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Two things.

1) lmao at the fact that the game did a boss fight at the edge of a cliff. they were 100% expecting me to sparta kick this fucker off, weren't they? I don't care, it was beautiful

2) I got 200 helix credits at the end of the quest. Will I be getting more free credits, or is this it and did they deliberately give me not enough to buy anything neat just to get me to look at the store?

edit: and why is my summon lieutenant ability sometimes greyed out?

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Care to elaborate? I really really want to like Soulstorm (come on, Sisters of Battle!), but the campaign is just so loving bad.

A couple of mods:

https://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war/downloads/dawn-of-war-soulstorm-campaign-fixes - Reduces Honor Guard costs a bit, changes Annihilate win conditions in standard maps to be Destroy HQ instead (like Dark Crusade), and changes Hard Difficulty so that the AI has 100% of normal health instead of 120% (again, like Dark Crusade)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/soulstorm-bugfix-mod/downloads/soulstorm-bugfix-mod-version-156 - A general bugfix mod that fixes a mind-boggling number of small details and bugs. Comes with a full readme listing all the changes and version updates, but it's a bit messy and tends to all blend together due to the tiny nature of most of the fixes.

https://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war/downloads/soulstorm-persistent-campaign-bases-mod-v14 - THIS IS THE BIG ONE. Persistent bases for defense maps. No longer will you have to start each defense off with nothing.

Didn't touch the Strongholds or anything outside the bugfix mod itself, but this was enough to make it bearable.

I remember I had to sneak the files for the persistent campaign bases inside the Bugfix folder, since both are considered "mods" that need to be activated through the Game Manager on the main menu, and thus they would be mutually exclusive normally. It worked, thankfully, and because I didn't overwrite any files, I'm pretty sure I didn't break any of the fixes!

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jan 2, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SirSamVimes posted:

Two things.

1) lmao at the fact that the game did a boss fight at the edge of a cliff. they were 100% expecting me to sparta kick this fucker off, weren't they? I don't care, it was beautiful

2) I got 200 helix credits at the end of the quest. Will I be getting more free credits, or is this it and did they deliberately give me not enough to buy anything neat just to get me to look at the store?

edit: and why is my summon lieutenant ability sometimes greyed out?

The helix credits are the "freebie" you get to look at the store and you don't get any more, same as Origins. Everything purchasable there can be acquired in a less deterministic way through the orichalcum merchant in Phokis. Quests that award orichalcum have that little blue spinny icon next to them. You can pick up the weekly and daily quests on the Adrestia or through the local questboard. This week the orichalcum quest is to kill a bunch of Athenian ships and soldiers, so it's worth picking up as you'll probably just complete it passively by next Tuesday. I basically ignored all that stuff until I finished the game, but now I still log back in for the weeklies on the off-chance I'll win something cool.

Summon Lieutenant can only be used from stealth so it won't work if you're already in combat.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

exquisite tea posted:

The helix credits are the "freebie" you get to look at the store and you don't get any more, same as Origins. Everything purchasable there can be acquired in a less deterministic way through the orichalcum merchant in Phokis. Quests that award orichalcum have that little blue spinny icon next to them. You can pick up the weekly and daily quests on the Adrestia or through the local questboard. This week the orichalcum quest is to kill a bunch of Athenian ships and soldiers, so it's worth picking up as you'll probably just complete it passively by next Tuesday. I basically ignored all that stuff until I finished the game, but now I still log back in for the weeklies on the off-chance I'll win something cool.

Summon Lieutenant can only be used from stealth so it won't work if you're already in combat.

Cheers, I'll keep an eye on Orichalcum quests.

while I kick nerds into lockers off cliffs

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Speaking of Odyssey, I'm going to assume that those "choices matter" bullshit is just bullshit, right? The quest with the (tutorial island spoilers) Priests who want to kill diseased people seems mostly cosmetic, because even if you let the villagers live and plague the entire island you have no reason to go back, at least for now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

BlazetheInferno posted:

A couple of mods:

https://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war/downloads/dawn-of-war-soulstorm-campaign-fixes - Reduces Honor Guard costs a bit, changes Annihilate win conditions in standard maps to be Destroy HQ instead (like Dark Crusade), and changes Hard Difficulty so that the AI has 100% of normal health instead of 120% (again, like Dark Crusade)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/soulstorm-bugfix-mod/downloads/soulstorm-bugfix-mod-version-156 - A general bugfix mod that fixes a mind-boggling number of small details and bugs. Comes with a full readme listing all the changes and version updates, but it's a bit messy and tends to all blend together due to the tiny nature of most of the fixes.

https://www.moddb.com/games/dawn-of-war/downloads/soulstorm-persistent-campaign-bases-mod-v14 - THIS IS THE BIG ONE. Persistent bases for defense maps. No longer will you have to start each defense off with nothing.

Didn't touch the Strongholds or anything outside the bugfix mod itself, but this was enough to make it bearable.

I remember I had to sneak the files for the persistent campaign bases inside the Bugfix folder, since both are considered "mods" that need to be activated through the Game Manager on the main menu, and thus they would be mutually exclusive normally. It worked, thankfully, and because I didn't overwrite any files, I'm pretty sure I didn't break any of the fixes!
Thanks, with a bit of luck my laptop will be able to run this thing now properly and it won't drive me crazy with repetition.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Odyssey, I'm going to assume that those "choices matter" bullshit is just bullshit, right? The quest with the (tutorial island spoilers) Priests who want to kill diseased people seems mostly cosmetic, because even if you let the villagers live and plague the entire island you have no reason to go back, at least for now.

No, your major choices will really have long-term effects on the central storyline. The sidequests are mostly contained to the region that you're in, although they can have multiple resolutions and characters will acknowledge your decisions later on. It's not Alpha Protocol but it's not totally illusory, either.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking of illusory choice I loved the fakeout when (end of megaris) it looks like Kassandra is going to be unable to finish off Nikolaus and I genuinely thought the game ripped me off and denied me the opportunity to murder my not-dad, then he tried to pull the "I loved you and your brother" bullshit and then SKRK :allears:

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I'm thinking about getting Rimworld, but the sheer amount of mods is kinda intimidating. Is it OK to play totally vanilla?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its play til you find poo poo that annoys you then install the mod

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Mokinokaro posted:

Kassandra can be such a raging rear end in a top hat. It's amazing.

Wait til you find the old pirate lady. That quest dialogue goes places.

IDK if we're thinking about the same person, but one of the most endearing conversations/reactions was a pirate lady basically making a dick joke and Kassandra cracking up. No witty zingers, no cool deflections.

Just a snort and a loud laugh. One of the more human moments. :3:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ohhh Rise of the Tomb Raider was the second nu Tomb Raider. I completely forgot that existed.

kater fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 2, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kater posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/391220/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/

Am I reading this right? Rise of the Tomb Raider is $12 with the season pass included? The game that came out this year? Why does the page say it came out in 2016? This seems so much worse than it getting discounted to $30 in October or whenever that was.

shadow of the tomb raider came out this year, rise was 2016

neither of them are worth $12

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Spin-off of the most innovative game in years: SUPERHOT: Mind Control Delete just got an update that just about overhauled everything, from lore to powers mission/loop flow to whatever the hell else.

Just throwing this out there in case anyone had the game but didn't have it installed, because this is a sort of surprise (stealthy?) update.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yeah I was staring at it very confused. It's annoying that Steam reprices everything to $60 during a sale, no loving way that game was $60 three weeks ago.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm thinking about getting Rimworld, but the sheer amount of mods is kinda intimidating. Is it OK to play totally vanilla?

Absolutely. I've played like 30 hours before I even installed a mod and it was perfectly fine and honestly even if the workshop and all the mods got erased by alien forces the game would still be great.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Is SCUM any good? Some of the reviews make me think it still needs some work but it has a good foundation.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

shadow of the tomb raider came out this year, rise was 2016

neither of them are worth $12

This is correct. I bought Rise and refunded it right before my 2 hours were up. It’s pretty, but boring.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alternatively, both Rise and Shadow are worth $12. Though Rise is worth $12 more.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The 'Generic TPS with Generic Stealth and Generic Ammo Crafting' genre is pretty dull in general because its built around overcoming inconvenience through tedium.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Play an older Tomb Raider, they're better

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Temperature check on Cultist Simulator? I've heard so many mixed thing about it but it also sounds like it has a lot going for it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it has good mysterious writing and very trial-and-error & grindy gameplay.

Oh, and it won't tell you how it works, that's on you to figure out.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Songbearer posted:

Temperature check on Cultist Simulator? I've heard so many mixed thing about it but it also sounds like it has a lot going for it?

I've put about seven hours into it, and lost one game and got a fair distance into the next. The initial mystery and atmosphere is incredible, with the writing elevating it - as the gameplay is putting cards into cards to activate timers. It gets grindy if you want to beat it, and I never bothered... but I don't regret it at all, because that initial blaze through was one hell of a ride.

I'd rec it, but if you're not digging the writing or the atmosphere get out and get a refund

BigDaddyDuck
Dec 23, 2018

Songbearer posted:

double nine posted:

it has good mysterious writing and very trial-and-error & grindy gameplay.

Oh, and it won't tell you how it works, that's on you to figure out.

Agree completely with double nine - it was interesting figuring out the story and gameplay, but losing the game after making a good bit of progress and having to grind through the early game all over again was a slog. If that doesn't bother you then I'd say it's worth checking out.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Okay, cool. I liked Pathologic so grindy/slow gameplay doesn't bother me if the core behind it is strong enough and that seems to be the vibe. Thanks!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

for my own sanity I made copies of save games so I could bypass the early game. Yeah there's supposed to be metaprogression but I'm not sure there's a lot of it and I also don't care enough compared to skipping the tedium.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cultist Simulator is poo poo to actually play. It's pretty miserable.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Someone on the gift train gave me Hero U: Rogue to Redemption I'm a huge Quest for Glory fan, and put 37 hours into it over the course of the sale. I wrote my impressions at length in the adventure games thread but in short - it's not awful, but it's definitely not the next QFG I've been waiting for.

It has a fair share of bugs and gameplay problems, but the most important issue is the lack of ambition - it feels like more of a budget QFG knock-off than Heroine's Quest (which is free, and outright better).

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Since this got missed: Any impressions on Frozen Synapse 2? Heard it was very buggy upon release.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

h_double posted:

How? I didn't think Origins used any preexisting assets, or anything from SC 1/2 except the name.

My understanding is that Wardell got trademark rights to the Star Control name through weirdness with Accolade, and I thought he still has the right to make games named "Star Control" as long as they don't use trademarked IP of the Reiche/Ford games.

I understand that Wardell is using his position to try to unfairly leverage Reiche/Ford, and I'm completely sympathetic to Reiche/Ford. I just am not sure if there is a legitimate copyright dispute over Origins, or if Reiche & Ford are mostly going the DMCA route because it's cheap and easy way to exert pressure back at Wardell?

If Origins has poached assets or code, it makes total sense, I just am not sure of that piece?

This is such a mind blowing thing to say when court proceeding are underway, motions are being heard and at least one injunction has been heard. Like, a loving judge says “it is reasonable to conclude copyright issues are involved.”

And your response “well I guess we just don’t know!l

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
This one weird trick drives bad game developers nuts!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

The 'Generic TPS with Generic Stealth and Generic Ammo Crafting' genre is pretty dull in general because its built around overcoming inconvenience through tedium.

This is what pushed me over the edge in Rise. I really enjoyed TR2013’s light collectible hunting, puzzles, and linear levels. I wanted more of that. Once RotTR made it clear I was going to scrounge materials for crafting I noped out.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Thinking about pulling the trigger on Battle Brothers and the expansion even though I have a bunch of complicated strategy games I still need to learn.

Any opinions one way or the other?

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Meridian posted:

Thinking about pulling the trigger on Battle Brothers and the expansion even though I have a bunch of complicated strategy games I still need to learn.

Any opinions one way or the other?

Battle Brothers is great.

If you're on the fence about it, I would buy the base game and see if you like it before you pick up the expansion, which is still full price anyway. Beasts and Exploration adds a lot of new early/mid-game encounters against new enemy types that disrupts the original progression curve and makes the game more difficult as a whole as a result, especially if you're trying to just learn the game in general.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

In case anyone was wondering after my post about the Messenger yesterday, I got closure on the cabinet

It was everything I could have hoped for, yes

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Mill Village posted:

Is SCUM any good? Some of the reviews make me think it still needs some work but it has a good foundation.
It’s barebone and not exactly in the Fun Zone yet, but if the dev can deliver what they promised, it will be a great obesity simulator.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This one weird trick drives bad game developers nuts!

I wish I were incredibly rich and could donate enough to the ACLU through humble that Wardell would notice that I had shafted him

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

BlazetheInferno posted:

I'm bored and couldn't decide who to play! I've been bingeing Dawn of War stuff lately, I've gone through Winter Assault, and I did Soulstorm as Orks (I found a couple tweaks that make the Soulstorm campaign bearable).

So I sure as gently caress ain't doing Dark Crusade as ORKS. I'm all Ork'd out.

I was under the impression it was just identical to DC's campaign, what's bad about it? And what'd you do to fix it?

edit: Whoops, just saw that I wasn't the only curious soul and you answered.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
While were on the 40k topic, anyone played inquisitor martyr?

Been binging 40k games, having just finished mechanicus (great but really needs a hard mode) and replaying dow2.

IM seems interesting, but the very mixed reviews makes it sound like it fell on the bad side of the 40k spectrum.