Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I'm glad that it alleviates your motion sickness but motion smoothing is the ugliest thing I've ever witnessed for watching shows and films.

yeah i know other people hate it but for people with motion sickness it really is awesome! I can definitely see how it can be ugly as hell tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jedit posted:

High Rise is also horror. And here in the UK movie magazines can't stop slobbering over him despite the fact he can make a drug-fuelled riot look boring. (They loved Sightseers too, BTW.)

That's really weird, my source of horror hype and news is basically this thread and I don't think I've ever seen him mentioned. If he's really billed that highly then lol because I don't see it.

Kvlt! posted:

yeah i know other people hate it but for people with motion sickness it really is awesome! I can definitely see how it can be ugly as hell tho

What about film with quick cuts or just mindless action scenes, like the fight scenes in Batman Begins where you can't understand what the gently caress is going on. Even that is headache inducing for me, I assume the smoothing wouldn't do much for that.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

I never heard of A Field in England but I guess I'll give it a go.

i like Kill List and A Field in England a lot! but Field in England feels way less like a horror movie and more like a drug film

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's really weird, my source of horror hype and news is basically this thread and I don't think I've ever seen him mentioned. If he's really billed that highly then lol because I don't see it.

What about film with quick cuts or just mindless action scenes, like the fight scenes in Batman Begins where you can't understand what the gently caress is going on. Even that is headache inducing for me, I assume the smoothing wouldn't do much for that.

I think they really missed an opportunity in those movies with how Batman fights. Like the first two times in Begins (the scene at the docks and the scene where he first takes out some of Scarecrow's guys before getting gassed) were good because the cuts were quick but they shot it like Batman was a xenomorph or a horror movie slasher. With lots of guy is moving around/distracted, gets a glimpse of Batman and then gets dropped with one power move with Batman doing stuff like just slamming a guy's head into a mirror/wall full force or hitting a guy's arm so he shoots himself in the foot.

Batman's an agile martial arts master blah blah blah in the comics but it's generally laughable when they try to do that in the movies in the suits/conditions they make. But they actually came up with a style of shooting Batman that worked. Then everything after that we just get the super fast cuts of folks flailing with the :laffo: Keysi Fighting Method.

A huge mistake because of those quick cuts. They continue to shoot everything in that get the drop on someone fast and then drop them fast way but then make him fight in a way that looks like random flailing with the quick cuts.

For all the talk of ~~~THE POWER OF FEEEAR OF WHAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND~~~ that was so emphasized throughout the movie (and so much so that it gets brought up even in Justice League there's a big THAT'S FEEEAAAR moment) and for how his training went in Batman Begins - One of the first thing Bruce learns is "This is not a dance" and to be efficient - they had a really cool way of having Batman fight that fit that and then....had him not fight that way for the rest of the movies.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

s.i.r.e. posted:

Hmm I don't really watch a lot of action movies but I watch a lot of old martial-arts and wuxia movies and it definitely helps. For super-quick cut horror like 31 it helps a little bit but not very much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

i watched this movie at someone's house who I couldnt yell at for having motion-smoothing on and it ruined the film for me. im waiting for enough time to pass so I can revisit it anew.
Did you show them Tom Cruise's PSA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCZpcy0eAk

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jason X is now available on Netflix.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just watched New Year New You. It was pretty good, and I’m a big fan of Carley Chaikin.

I liked how for the beginning you aren’t sure who you’re supposed to be rooting for in the beginning because of how psycho and jealous the main character is. And I like that in the end the answer is: pretty much no one except Kayla, who’s dead. I really like the dynamic of Danielle as a cult leader type of personality.

I didn’t like how they just had to kill the two queer women of color first. I get that the writers wanted to get rid of the main voice of reason so poo poo could go off the rails, but then bringing her girlfriend in just to get killed less than a minute later seemed a little unnecessary.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Huge thanks to whomever recommended that Supercontext podcast. I'm really digging the Lake Mungo episode and it made me interested enough to checkout Nameless which im also pretty happy with.

You're welcome :). Glad to recommend Supercontext to more people. They do good work and deserve the recognition for it. One of the guys is in the business of doing horror comics too, which I have been curious about checking out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think Nameless is whatever became of Morrison's unmade film script, Sinatoro.

I am still not sure what I think of James Gunn suppousedly making a Nameless film. Seems like a weird choice for the material. Did that fall apart?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I feel like I've made an rear end out of u and me, horror thread, I assumed Bloody New Year had been suggested while folks were discussing New Year's Eve horror movies and so didn't take the time to mention how you should all see this utterly batshit 1987 holiday film. But CTRL+F has revealed that it wasn't brought up so that has to change right now:

Anyway, BLOODY NEW YEAR, it's not super gory, but it's basically the Pieces of holiday horror movies in that all of the best parts of it are completely out of nowhere things that make zero sense even with the explanation given for why things are happening and it owns because of it. The movie's plot is very much an incoherent mash-up of Shockwaves and The Shining.

However the way the group of characters gets to the location is, uh, okay so like it opens up with them all at an amusement park having fun, one of them gets into a situation where a group of local toughs are endangering her life by standing around the teacup carousel ride she's on and spinning the seat to make her turn far faster than normal, driving her into a huge panic. Except that, like, the ride is just going at the same speed as all the others, everyone's acting is very bad here, it rules. Some of her friends and the guy running the ride jump on to help her out and there's this like, teacup carousel tug of war as the ride is just going at its normal speed, then one of the friends smartly shuts the ride off, but then he also keeps it shut down by yanking a part out of it. His other friends immediately act in horror as if the guy just desecrated something sacred, and suddenly the local lowlifes and the guy running the ride TEAM UP to try to chase them to ends of the earth over this carousel part!!!! Smash cut to the friends lost at sea in a sailboat they stole to get away. :wtc: :laffo: :wtc: :lol:

This movie has a scene where folks are watching a movie and then out of nowhere a person jumps OUT OF THE MOVIE into the real world and claws at the guy's face once, which instantly kills him. The rest of the characters freak out and bolt out of the room and notice a toy Santa Claus has been wound up and is walking around doing its wind up toy thing, which they find humorous, and then the movie continues. The spoilered bit happening to someone is completely unacknowledged and forgotten about the second the characters leave the room until...he return as a zombie! And then just when the movie reaches a point where you learn what's going on and it seems about to wind down... THE GUY THAT WAS RUNNING THE AMUSEMENT PARK RIDE RETURNS! YESSS!!!

These were among the more mundane events in the film so don't miss out. It's a must watch it if you haven't yet, fortunately you can see it on YouTube for free right now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TPL4ZqL50

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 2, 2019

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Levantine posted:

I'm trying to watch as much slow burn stuff as I can get my hands on right now. I'm not big on gore or (unearned) jump scares, but I like a movie that either sets a mood or ramps up the intensity. Lake Mungo is probably one of my favorite, but I watched Savageland today which was pretty brilliant considering how so much of it was told through still photographs. I finally got around to The Invitation as well and I thought that was just a fantastic film from start to finish. I love the documentary style film so what else should I look for? I've seen Hell House LLC recently too which was just fantastic. I'm pretty late to the party on a lot of these movies so any suggestions would be awesome.

Hereditary

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Kvlt!, Mr. Wan would like a word with you.

https://twitter.com/creepypuppet/status/1079518577147822081

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I don’t like James Wan, and it’s personal!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Levantine posted:

I'm trying to watch as much slow burn stuff as I can get my hands on right now. I'm not big on gore or (unearned) jump scares, but I like a movie that either sets a mood or ramps up the intensity. Lake Mungo is probably one of my favorite, but I watched Savageland today which was pretty brilliant considering how so much of it was told through still photographs. I finally got around to The Invitation as well and I thought that was just a fantastic film from start to finish. I love the documentary style film so what else should I look for? I've seen Hell House LLC recently too which was just fantastic. I'm pretty late to the party on a lot of these movies so any suggestions would be awesome.

You're looking for a little flick called Thoroughbreds, which was my favorite movie of 2018.

Also, Unsane, which I just talked about in this thread yesterday.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Watched Cam last night and thought it was ok, kind of like a long ep of Black Mirror with different accents. Good call not over explaining the villain, I think it would of veered into cheese if they had included a bunch of exposition.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol it's like he wrote it just for kvlt!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I did not expect to have a tangent conversation about the Paul Reiser tv movie, The Tower, in a meeting today.

2019 coming in strong.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

I did not expect to have a tangent conversation about the Paul Reiser tv movie, The Tower, in a meeting today.

2019 coming in strong.

"Listen, we've all had our chance to put our thoughts towards Reiser's vehicle The Tower. Let's table that for now so we can move on to more pressing matters, an important topic that has gone unnoticed. I talk, of course, of Tower of Terror, the made-for-TV film Disney theme park tie-in, starring Steve Gutenberg and up-and-comer Kirsten Dunst, directed by 'Are You Afraid of the Dark' himself, DJ MacHale. I see Diane already has her hand up with a question."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol it's like he wrote it just for kvlt!

The Horror Thread: There Is A Personal Need To Attack James Wan

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Neo Rasa posted:

I feel like I've made an rear end out of u and me, horror thread, I assumed Bloody New Year had been suggested while folks were discussing New Year's Eve horror movies and so didn't take the time to mention how you should all see this utterly batshit 1987 holiday film. But CTRL+F has revealed that it wasn't brought up so that has to change right now:

Anyway, BLOODY NEW YEAR, it's not super gory, but it's basically the Pieces of holiday horror movies in that all of the best parts of it are completely out of nowhere things that make zero sense even with the explanation given for why things are happening and it owns because of it. The movie's plot is very much an incoherent mash-up of Shockwaves and The Shining.

However the way the group of characters gets to the location is, uh, okay so like it opens up with them all at an amusement park having fun, one of them gets into a situation where a group of local toughs are endangering her life by standing around the teacup carousel ride she's on and spinning the seat to make her turn far faster than normal, driving her into a huge panic. Except that, like, the ride is just going at the same speed as all the others, everyone's acting is very bad here, it rules. Some of her friends and the guy running the ride jump on to help her out and there's this like, teacup carousel tug of war as the ride is just going at its normal speed, then one of the friends smartly shuts the ride off, but then he also keeps it shut down by yanking a part out of it. His other friends immediately act in horror as if the guy just desecrated something sacred, and suddenly the local lowlifes and the guy running the ride TEAM UP to try to chase them to ends of the earth over this carousel part!!!! Smash cut to the friends lost at sea in a sailboat they stole to get away. :wtc: :laffo: :wtc: :lol:

This movie has a scene where folks are watching a movie and then out of nowhere a person jumps OUT OF THE MOVIE into the real world and claws at the guy's face once, which instantly kills him. The rest of the characters freak out and bolt out of the room and notice a toy Santa Claus has been wound up and is walking around doing its wind up toy thing, which they find humorous, and then the movie continues. The spoilered bit happening to someone is completely unacknowledged and forgotten about the second the characters leave the room until...he return as a zombie! And then just when the movie reaches a point where you learn what's going on and it seems about to wind down... THE GUY THAT WAS RUNNING THE AMUSEMENT PARK RIDE RETURNS! YESSS!!!

These were among the more mundane events in the film so don't miss out. It's a must watch it if you haven't yet, fortunately you can see it on YouTube for free right now!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1TPL4ZqL50

Huh. I really thought I brought this up here. Must have been in the discord. I have the vhs with the box art featuring a knock-off Crypt Keeper with googly eyes covered in party streamers.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Huh. I really thought I brought this up here. Must have been in the discord. I have the vhs with the box art featuring a knock-off Crypt Keeper with googly eyes covered in party streamers.

Hell yeah.

Googling it now it seems like it had some crazy covers, there's a 3D one and everything. :O Also found this very relevant gif:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
There was a really good book two years ago about paperback book covers and their contents called Paperbacks of the Damned and I really hope they eventually do one for VHS covers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was a really good book two years ago about paperback book covers and their contents called Paperbacks of the Damned and I really hope they eventually do one for VHS covers.

i got that, it's good as heck.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i got that, it's good as heck.

It turned me on to Michael McDowell and especially Blackwater which I randomly shout at everyone in TBB to read because its so loving good

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

There's several books on VHS art work. I don't think there's like a comprehensive guide but I know there is two or three dedicated to Horror covers of the 80s.

I think it was Corman who use to do a poster and title first then the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Paperbacks of the Damned is awesome because until I saw it I was too stupid to realize Stigma: The Life After Death was based on a book despite liking that movie.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Cannon Films also did poster and name before the movie

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Windows 98 posted:

Yeah they were pretty fast and loose with things. iirc right before closing down they had announced they were going to do a spider-man movie. There was zero work put into this beyond that announcement.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Isn't there a Canon film documentary about their downfall.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Hollismason posted:

Isn't there a Canon film documentary about their downfall.

Yeah, Electric Bugaloo. It's dope as gently caress, and I can't recommend it enough.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

There is indeed. It's called Electric Boogaloo

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Theres also the go go boys

Because in true cannon fashion when they found out there was gonna be a doc about them the founders made their own to beat it to release

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah they were pretty fast and loose with things. iirc right before closing down they had announced they were going to do a spider-man movie. There was zero work put into this beyond that announcement.

The Cannon Spider-Man went through a bunch of different scripts (the infamous James Cameron one was actually heavily based on an existing script) and about as many directors too. I'm not confident that any of them actually got to the point where they actually did work though. It seems more likely that they were all just names so Cannon could sell the movie to other markets. This poster has Tobe Hooper listed:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Friday the 13th started as a magazine ad. Sean Cunningham saw Halloween and decided to get in on the action but he was worried the title might already be taken so he bought an ad in a Variety

Since they weren't sued they went ahead with the project under the new title.

I think the original title was something along the lines of "Long Night in Camp Blood".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Windows 98 posted:

I have the spider-man one

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/umcornell/status/1080181533753966592

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Almost Blue posted:

The Cannon Spider-Man went through a bunch of different scripts (the infamous James Cameron one was actually heavily based on an existing script) and about as many directors too. I'm not confident that any of them actually got to the point where they actually did work though. It seems more likely that they were all just names so Cannon could sell the movie to other markets. This poster has Tobe Hooper listed:

Spidey swinging through outer space, as he usually does.

(He has a small pocket of air under his mask)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

This world just wasn't good enough for a Tobe Hooper Spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Tobe Hooper Spider Man Space Opera would have been amazing.