Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
edit: derp I'm an idiot and misread, leaving this here so the page starts with a picture at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ah, so is "unit" slang for something in England or is the joke just he is a really fat dude and "Absolute Unit" is a pretty funny way to describe said fat dude? Just wondering if it's working on any different level besides the obvious one.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

jesusssssssss

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Ah, so is "unit" slang for something in England or is the joke just he is a really fat dude and "Absolute Unit" is a pretty funny way to describe said fat dude? Just wondering if it's working on any different level besides the obvious one.

what the gently caress lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it means buff but was used ironically in that tweet because the dude is fat and not buff

it's funny

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's england, so "unit" probably has something to do with the Great War

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

gey muckle mowser posted:

edit: derp I'm an idiot and misread, leaving this here so the page starts with a picture at least

Wow. Ya know, this is not what I was expecting for my first time seeing a space marine out of armor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
Worm. Worm never changes

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

it means buff but was used ironically in that tweet because the dude is fat and not buff

it's funny

Might be slightly different in NZ, but AFAIK it never specifically meant muscular, just big, bulky, solid, etc. So fairly applied to the dude in that meme

however I'm 99% sure that poster was just trolling and not asking sincerely

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
oh lawd

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I didn't know Wilson Fisk knew the queen, but in retrospect it makes perfect sense.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

Learn some measurement, goddamn

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is my favorite one

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

absolute unit is a meta commentary on the kelvin vs. celsius debate which is absurd because we all know rankine is a more intuitive system of measurement and furthermore comma

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

losers the lot of you, real men use the skin burning test. You simply hold your finger in the liquid in question and judge it's temperature on how long it takes the blisters to form.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

lmfao

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Drone_Fragger posted:

losers the lot of you, real men use the skin burning test. You simply hold your finger in the liquid in question and judge it's temperature on how long it takes the blisters to form.

Real men absolutely use their unit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Did someone take a picture of their phone, print it on dry-wall they then busted up, and take a picture of that?

manderson
Aug 12, 2005

Human Extraordinaire

marshmallow creep posted:

Did someone take a picture of their phone, print it on dry-wall they then busted up, and take a picture of that?

not to mention, scratch the names out with a knife?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Anybody who can't appreciate Guy Fieri's boundless enthusiasm for delicious garbage has no soul

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

He eats things that we crave, but are too hungover to eat. He eats these things so that we might live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELPKuKvo44k

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
At least Guy Fierie never paid an underage sexual assault victim to keep quiet.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ferrule posted:

How would you know if she kept quiet?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ferrule posted:

We've been over this in another thread, that was made up

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Paladinus posted:

How would you know if she kept quiet?

It was a boy

hawowanlawow posted:

We've been over this in another thread, that was made up

No it wasn't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Thanks everyone that answered. I now know exactly how funny the "Absolute Unit" joke is.

For those that skipped over it, it is funny because the guy was fat and "Absolute Unit" means something is big in England. That also explains why it was getting used on other large round things as well.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Ferrule posted:

It was a boy

No it wasn't.

What was/wasn’t made up?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Randaconda posted:

This is my favorite one

How can it be anyone's favorite? They misspelled Ewenit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ferrule posted:

It was a boy

No it wasn't.

No, how do you know if Fiery paid anyone, if they actually kept quiet? He might have, we're just not aware of it yet.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

Paladinus posted:

No, how do you know if Fiery paid anyone, if they actually kept quiet? He might have, we're just not aware of it yet.

Freedom of Information

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

How can it be anyone's favorite? They misspelled Ewenit.

it's clearly a ram, you buffoon. you complete wally.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I have it in record that Guy cooks and eats hookers.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

bike tory posted:

"
Might be slightly different in NZ, but AFAIK it never specifically meant muscular, just big, bulky, solid, etc. So fairly applied to the dude in that meme

however I'm 99% sure that poster was just trolling and not asking sincerely

I'm not so sure that "absolute unit" is not a variant of a term started back in the 90s. Seattle Mariners pitcher, Randy Johnson, was referred to as "The Big Unit" during the baseball World Series against the Cleveland Indians.

I like Great Lakes ships, btw, pics related:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"Absolute" is a British slang term used in so-called "lad culture" to mean "total" (e.g. Absolute Madman). The tweet gained over 3,500 retweets and 13,000 likes (shown below).

Thanks, knowyourmeme!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Like someone earlier in the thread said, just do a GIS for "oh lawd" cuz it doesn't matter if the older southern generations use it regardless of race in polite society, words mean what they're used for, it's how language works, and apparently these days in the context of memes it's being mainly used on Mammy memes and at least one meme of a black dude holding a bunch of watermelons going OH LAWDS IS I IN HEAVEN

that's the hill some of y'all are choosing to die on

Walling off the N-word and making it so no one was allowed to use it without being an rear end in a top hat DIDN'T WORK. It remained powerful and damaging decades after polite society stopped using it.

Reclaiming the N-word so only black people could use it without being an rear end in a top hat also hasn't worked. It has muddled things so everyone is getting their feelings hurt about having a word only some people are allowed to use. And when the racists use it it is still as powerful as ever.

The N-word remains toxic waste to this day, and into the foreseeable future. It's an ugly word and we'd all be better off if it didn't exist. It's going to sit there with F****t and a few others super toxic words until the end of time.

Moving more words into the toxic waste dump won't reduce racism or the hurt experienced by vulnerable populations. I firmly believe that letting 'marginal' words fade into general slang does more to drain the power from then than walling them off so only the racists and their victims are allowed to use them. Slapping a "THESE ARE THE RACIST WORDS" label on them makes them more powerful, not less powerful.

Example: oval office. 20 years ago I would have only referred to that as the C-word because it was a super toxic slur . . . in North America. The along comes the internet and the auzzies and brits throwing around oval office like it's nothing. Because to them it is nothing. I still wouldn't use it myself, but now it is a lot less shocking and powerful than it was 20 years ago.

But this is the funny pictures thread not the pedantic language thread, so here's some offensive pictures of Jesus.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I WANT TO BELIEVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001