Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

AndyElusive posted:

I dont mean to sound like a dick but the real reason your horse does this is because of you.

Protip: let go of your left thumb stick when you're about to gallop through dense forested areas or near obstacles because your horse will actually avoid these things automatically.

I let go off my RDR2 instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Games not bad, you are.

:clint:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Wolfsheim posted:

(epilogue chat)Also Dutch just kinda showing up seemed really odd and out of place. Like I know he was basically supposed to be a man lost but he just seemed to be doing things and siding with or against Micah at random? I dunno, it felt weird that he would come back at all but like they had to include him because he was such a prominent figure in chapters 1-6.
Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was like 'huh?' when he just appears and then walks away after shooting Micah. Story-wise that was the only thing that really bothered me. Dutch shouldn't have been there at all. Otherwise it was a hell of a story, even if I think the much lower tension during the epilogue kind of neuters some of the great story tension that you get in Chapter 6. I do like how it ties up going into RDR1, even if it's sad to see you building the house and getting John's family back when you already know how things end up from playing the first game.

I'm also glad that characters I liked the most during the game such as Sadie and Charles survived and moved north or whatever, instead of dying like most of the rest of them end up doing. I was pissed when Lenny died, since he was my other favorite character. I really wish we got more Javier than we did; it seems like he and Bill kind of just side with Dutch at the end out of story necessity and not much else.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I'm about to be in Chapter 6 and it's still weird for Dutch to be going on about needing more money and Arthur agreeing while sitting on like $20K

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think we can all agree though that (epilogue again) "HELLO SON" is the best way Dutch could have come back.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

AndyElusive posted:

I dont mean to sound like a dick but the real reason your horse does this is because of you.

Protip: let go of your left thumb stick when you're about to gallop through dense forested areas or near obstacles because your horse will actually avoid these things automatically.

:stare:

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
If you haven't seen Arthur Morgan fly off of his horse while the cinematic camera is on then you have not truly played this game

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
If you go back to that ledge where you meet up with micah in the story, the one above the woodcutting plot near strawberry, there are two things you can grab there and one sorta explains why dutch was there at the end if i remember right.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

turtlecrunch posted:

It isn't really dynamic or anything, the main story goes the way it goes regardless of what you do. The ending has slight flavor differences based on what end of the honor scale you are at I think, and then you do get to make one significant mission choice in that chapter.
Otherwise you occasionally get to choose stuff like "throw dynamite at them" vs. "sneak up and shove a knife up their spine" which has no real story implications.
I kinda figured that'd be the case, just based on how crazy hard it is to do branching fiction. But it seems like a lot of the dialog and conversations could be dependant on player choices earlier on. Like, does the love interest always return the ring at the end, or can that play out differently? Is Arthur always on the "I'm a bad man" lamentation at the end, even if your moral meter is high?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I mean even if you're being a nice guy you're still playing as a thief who kills people

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

First of May posted:

I kinda figured that'd be the case, just based on how crazy hard it is to do branching fiction. But it seems like a lot of the dialog and conversations could be dependant on player choices earlier on. Like, does the love interest always return the ring at the end, or can that play out differently? Is Arthur always on the "I'm a bad man" lamentation at the end, even if your moral meter is high?

The real player choice you have is how deep you want to go into the relationships of the characters. You can really build your day around chores, hunting for camp, a mission, and having dinner and a nightcap. Or, you can ignore all that and plow thru. It's not really choices that affect the world dramatically differently (though the ending does give you a couple different ways to play out) but instead the choice to pursue these NPC friendships and feuds.

What worked for me in this game was how natural some of the story beat progressions were, I felt I had more control than I really did. That doesn't work for everyone but for me it kept my head in the story.

Why won't you be able to play the game?

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 2, 2019

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I tried to help level up some friends and took our posse into PvP mode. This doesn't mean you only get team modes, and we got quite a few modes where we were all enemies.

Rockstar I'm trying to help my pals not murder them :cripes:

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Donovan Trip posted:

Why won't you be able to play the game?

Don't own a PS4, don't have the time for a game this big anyway (still behind on Shadow of the Tomb Raider). I've been watching someone play it on Twitch and curious about just how much the world and characters changed based on player actions. It's an absolutely gorgeous game, and some of the scenes are genuinely great.

Thanks for humoring my questions!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I'm up to Chapter 4 now but I got pickpocketed so I caught & hogtied the thief and realised I was standing outside the police station. So I figured hey why not carry the criminal in to it and see what happens. But... apparently a witness thought I was kidnapping the dude so I had to promptly dump him in the street and split before the cops showed up. :(

turtlecrunch posted:

It isn't really dynamic or anything, the main story goes the way it goes regardless of what you do. The ending has slight flavor differences based on what end of the honor scale you are at I think, and then you do get to make one significant mission choice in that chapter.
Otherwise you occasionally get to choose stuff like "throw dynamite at them" vs. "sneak up and shove a knife up their spine" which has no real story implications.

Some of the 'vision' cutscenes have different animals too. At the end of one mission if you're high honour you see an elk but if you're low honour then you see a wolf instead or something.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
So someone found a shark waaay out of bounds : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkVW4hHBx8

How in the holy hell does someone do that? Seems utterly absurd without some kind of tip off.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Just had a weird bug. Killed a few folks with my shotgun, then it stopped firing. It was locked in the opened position and wouldn't fire, so I got deaded.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Turns out dual wielding sucks with the cattleman's revolver, I feel my rate of fire is way way lower than when I had just one. How do I stop ???

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Sextro posted:

Turns out dual wielding sucks with the cattleman's revolver, I feel my rate of fire is way way lower than when I had just one. How do I stop ???

When you draw it make sure you only pick one of the guns on either side of the wheel, don't draw the dual arrows in the middle.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Sextro posted:

It is slower if you're hip firing but faster if you're aiming.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER
PROTIP: Ride directly into a raider camp with incendiary shotgun ammo and deadeye. Create your own version of Sodom & Gomorrah.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Thank you, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was like 'huh?' when he just appears and then walks away after shooting Micah. Story-wise that was the only thing that really bothered me. Dutch shouldn't have been there at all. Otherwise it was a hell of a story, even if I think the much lower tension during the epilogue kind of neuters some of the great story tension that you get in Chapter 6. I do like how it ties up going into RDR1, even if it's sad to see you building the house and getting John's family back when you already know how things end up from playing the first game.

I'm also glad that characters I liked the most during the game such as Sadie and Charles survived and moved north or whatever, instead of dying like most of the rest of them end up doing. I was pissed when Lenny died, since he was my other favorite character. I really wish we got more Javier than we did; it seems like he and Bill kind of just side with Dutch at the end out of story necessity and not much else.

There was a really good discussion some pages back about this, and I wish I could remember what pages it was around to link you. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about but it gives some good perspective on this scene.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Zoobtro posted:

So someone found a shark waaay out of bounds : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkVW4hHBx8

How in the holy hell does someone do that? Seems utterly absurd without some kind of tip off.

Lots of questions about this one. Also, maybe this is old hat but I thought it was more interesting that you could glitch your way back to Guarma than that if you do that and then keep going on an odd direction, you find a shark.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm about to be in Chapter 6 and it's still weird for Dutch to be going on about needing more money and Arthur agreeing while sitting on like $20K
Well it's two things...

One is has been stated before, but Dutch apparently had over a hundred grand in Blackwater.

The second thing is that Dutch is full of poo poo. There is never an endgame. You are seeing the plan. A lot of this comes out in Chapter 6. The idea that there is nowhere in America for a man to be free is actively bullshit. We see people like Hamish who live the life that Dutch claims requires more money to sustain while Dutch fucks over the only people in the game who the US government actually is trying to stop from having peaceful lives.

What I will say is that the game does a poor job of really establishing the reputation of Dutch and the gang. Like Jesse James was legitimately a celebrity at the time who lived under an alias. I could see before things going to poo poo in Blackwater as the gang living a pretty comfortable live under assumed named before Dutch hosed it up.

But the game is surprisingly vague.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Transmogrifier posted:

There was a really good discussion some pages back about this, and I wish I could remember what pages it was around to link you. Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about but it gives some good perspective on this scene.

Not sure if this is what you were talking about but I really liked TulliusCicero's take on the finale from a couple weeks ago:

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually think Dutch is totally there to kill Micah and is conflicted about revenge, because he knows deep down Arthur was right, and he has been hiding out the last few years tormented by the fact he watched his best friend/son die and did nothing.

John and Sadie being there complicates things, because he deflects everything falling apart to John not being loyal enough. I feel like when Micah dismisses Arthur's death, and John asks Dutch to "say something," that is what makes Dutch get angry and pull the trigger.

He even tells John when he asks him what he is doing there "same as you I suppose." He knew exactly why John was there.

Hobo Clown posted:

I like your read of that final scene a lot better. Dutch would likely be allowed in and could walk past the rest of the gang, and probably assumed he was going to be killed as soon as he shot Micah. Dutch got his revenge but John & Sadie robbed him of his suicide.

TulliusCicero posted:

I didn't think about the suicide angle myself but it makes sense to me with context about the first game. Dutch seems conflicted about Arthur giving up his life to save John's, who he now hates (or at the very least dislikes), but he is willing to let John go about his life because Arthur wanted that. When John tries to thank Dutch for saving him and Sadie, he just gives that dead, blank stare at him.

Dutch never goes after John directly, and even in Red Dead Redemption, never seems to want to actively kill him (until he goes after him directly) or hurt his family. Dutch not putting up a fight and committing suicide spares John from having to pull the trigger, and gives Dutch the peace of death he wanted from killing Micah and dying there, and dying on his own terms.

Dutch in RDR seems like a man lost without purpose, fighting back against a society he sees as destructive with no real plan and it makes now, because Dutch wanted to die on that mountain after killing Micah.

Dutch and Arthur are such well written characters; just amazing levels of detail and pathos.

As for the coincidence of Dutch and John visiting Micah at the same time, I always figured it was Dutch hearing the same rumor or tip that Sadie had heard about where Micah's gang was holed up and just managed to get there first. Not that far fetched.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Zoobtro posted:

What the gently caress. That's cool but...that is some Game Genie level bullshit right there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Really? Seems more like Game Shark to me.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

:golfclap:

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt

DogonCrook posted:

If you go back to that ledge where you meet up with micah in the story, the one above the woodcutting plot near strawberry, there are two things you can grab there and one sorta explains why dutch was there at the end if i remember right.

Any chance you could explain this, since I don't really remember where you're talking about.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Does it matter in which order I do the stranger/white cloud missions? Like, can I get all the way to the end of the game and still do stuff for the Professor, or is it done once I move chapters?

pech
Jul 19, 2004

End spoiler i thought Dutch was just laying low with Micah? Was Micah surprised to see him? I thought it was like he had grown to deeply resent Micah and the path he chose

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Whenever I need to craft more split points I just find the Jew harp guy and trip out while crafting

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
RDR2 is a good game because it made me like God's dumbest loving creature, the horse

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just spent nearly all my money on clothes in the Not New Orleans town.

Though since I'm only in chapter 2 it was only like a 100 bucks and it was some pretty nice clothes.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

I just spent nearly all my money on clothes in the Not New Orleans town.

Though since I'm only in chapter 2 it was only like a 100 bucks and it was some pretty nice clothes.

Grab yourself a perfect elk hide, the trapper makes white gloves out of them

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

pech posted:

End spoiler i thought Dutch was just laying low with Micah? Was Micah surprised to see him? I thought it was like he had grown to deeply resent Micah and the path he chose

I swear there's a newspaper article about the police suspecting the remnants of the van der linde gang are hiding in the mountains, I agree they were rolling together.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've just hit a bug in the opening for a mission in chapter 4. It's the Sadie one you get from the basecamp.

Basically the cutscene starts but none of the vocal audio tracks start. I can see them talking (and the subtitles) but can't hear them. Then when Dutch shows up and you go into the house with him, the cutscne just sorts of hangs on an outside view of the building.

I've tried reloading my save with no effect and i've gone off to do other things just now (as well as restart the PS4), but is this a known type of bug and is there a way to fix it?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Mantis42 posted:

:coolfish:

Calaveron posted:

RDR2 is a good game because it made me like God's dumbest loving creature, the horse

this but the drunk priest

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

ICMB posted:

Any chance you could explain this, since I don't really remember where you're talking about.

Seconding this, I don't remember this part either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Donovan Trip posted:

I swear there's a newspaper article about the police suspecting the remnants of the van der linde gang are hiding in the mountains, I agree they were rolling together.

When John & Sadie finally disarm him, Micah says "Just like old times. All manner of folk making social calls!" and points to the cabin as Dutch walks out. To me that implies Dutch got there recently, not that they'd been riding together for years.

I don't remember the newspaper quote exactly but I'm pretty sure it refers to the gang as the Micah Bell gang or similar, which it wouldn't do if the Van Der Linde of the Van Der Linde gang was running it.