Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Dad chat: I’ve spent the evening building the LEGO Saturn V rocket. Wife has been helping, stage 1 complete. How’s your holiday times working out fellow dads and moms and childless uncles? (me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I’ve been playing Operation non stop since Christmas and I gotta tell ya, gently caress writers cramp.

E: Charlie horse too

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm watching the Demon House specials on travel channel while hitting the oil rig.

It's gonna swing below 0°F tonight and I wanted brain candy.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm watching the Demon House specials on travel channel while hitting the oil rig.

Same except while sober

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Took the brood to the Seattle Pacific Science Center and chased them around all day. They had a great time and the behavior was not bad. Good start to the year.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.
Best holiday season I’ve had in many years. As much as I like to joke about how being a new parent is awful, it really is wonderful to have this little tiny baby be so happy to see me in the morning.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Dad chat: I’ve spent the evening building the LEGO Saturn V rocket. Wife has been helping, stage 1 complete. How’s your holiday times working out fellow dads and moms and childless uncles? (me).

I'm insanely jealous.

It's loving great when kids are young enough that you can shop for toys just by looking for cool poo poo. Transformers, Legos, Hot Wheels...those were the days. Now my kid is 18 and in college but still lives with family so he doesn't need (or have room for) a bunch of the practical grown up stuff yet. Which means I need him to provide ideas besides books and gift cards. So I've started giving a warning: if you don't come up with any ideas, your presents will be things you would've loved 10 years ago. BAM I'm back to browsing Transformers and Legos and all that.

I came within an inch of buying the G1 Devastator set for myself for like $80. So this tactic could backfire.

Edit: Nah I'm paying off debt. No hobbies for me.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jan 2, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You know you can have a hobby, right?

The world has changed, you no longer have to hide your autism through childrens gifts purchases. This isn't the 80s and model trains.

I used to do jigsaw puzzles at/near the height of being unhinged. Now I just don't own a big enough table to do one on.

Damnit, now I kinda want to look at legos.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 2, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yo, just finished mine tonight. Also a wife gift. Pretty solid.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Is that the one where Zack buys the house in the hood? That episode is hilarious. He rolls up with his camera crew and starts interviewing the squatters living on his property about their ghost experiences.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jan 2, 2019

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Got to take my old man to see They Shall Not Grow Old last week. The joy on his face when he picked out some of the tunes in the background was priceless: "You hear that? I think that's... Mademoiselle from Armentieres!" (he was right!).

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Naked Bear posted:

Got to take my old man to see They Shall Not Grow Old last week. The joy on his face when he picked out some of the tunes in the background was priceless: "You hear that? I think that's... Mademoiselle from Armentieres!" (he was right!).

Is your dad like 103 or something?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Met the gf's family for the first time.

Didn't die.

I'm as shocked as anyone.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Just don't drop her down any mountains.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fallom posted:

Is that the one where Zack buys the house in the hood? That episode is hilarious. He rolls up with his camera crew and starts interviewing the squatters living on his property about their ghost experiences.

Yep

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Is your dad like 103 or something?
Nah, he's just a big ol' mil history nerd. :)

Kind of a spoiler, here is the version of Mademoiselle from Armentieres that was recorded for the film. It's probably the most tame version you'll hear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtiynnETOlM

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Watched Bird Box or whatever with Sandra B. Not bad, a little Deus Ex Machina but it had decent character development. My wife loving called it halfway through too where are the loving blind people at?.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

Yeah, it was a side project and released a couple years ago as a documentary, independent from his travel channel schtick because he did it with his own money and didn't have the entire band of idiots with him, just most of them.

It's fascinating and terrible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Soulex posted:

Watched Bird Box or whatever with Sandra B. Not bad, a little Deus Ex Machina but it had decent character development. My wife loving called it halfway through too where are the loving blind people at?.

It was alright.

I didn’t really get what the bad thing was besides spooky.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Banging the poo poo out of the mother of my youngest.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

504 posted:

Motherfucker

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

504 posted:

If you're gonna do a play-by-play, at least work on the frequency of your announcing.

doogle
May 24, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

It was alright.

I didn’t really get what the bad thing was besides spooky.

I don’t think it was meant to be known, I think that they were supposed to look like whatever is the worst/scariest thing the individual can imagine. The scriptwriter guy that dies in the grocery store said they were demons, so maybe that.

Definitely worth watching, also definitely not worth going out of your way to do so.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Last day of 12 days off (one good thing about being a teacher because it sure isn't the pay or low stress environment).

Built a simple wood toy box for my daughter and she's very good about putting her things away.

Going to start building a small hinged-top desk for her (and the youngest when she's old enough to use it) that she can keep her crayons and fingerpaints in.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Bird box was kinda lame, they didn’t put any thought into what it would look like for a bunch of people to live in a house for a few weeks after the apocalypse. There’s still electricity, everyone is clean and showered and always wearing the same pristine outfit. The loving grocery store dude continues to wear his red grocery store vest for his whole part in the movie lol

Kinda took me out of it. Everything once sandy leaves the house is more interesting.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Eh, A Quiet Place had some holes, Annihilation had some holes, still really decent movies.

Not as absolutely loving stellar as the buzz would suggest, but yeah

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Godholio posted:

I'm insanely jealous.

It's loving great when kids are young enough that you can shop for toys just by looking for cool poo poo. Transformers, Legos, Hot Wheels...those were the days. Now my kid is 18 and in college but still lives with family so he doesn't need (or have room for) a bunch of the practical grown up stuff yet. Which means I need him to provide ideas besides books and gift cards. So I've started giving a warning: if you don't come up with any ideas, your presents will be things you would've loved 10 years ago. BAM I'm back to browsing Transformers and Legos and all that.

I came within an inch of buying the G1 Devastator set for myself for like $80. So this tactic could backfire.

Edit: Nah I'm paying off debt. No hobbies for me.

Not a bad thing. My grandmother insisted on giving me a Lego set every Christmas until she passed in my late 20's. She always said that she loved watching me spend Christmas day putting them together. Plus, gently caress yeah Lego.

Gifts can be as much for you as it is for the person you're giving them to. And Shim, I'm jealous of the Saturn V.

Holidays were good. Hung out with family and friends. Got to see another old friend get engaged the same night another old friend asked me to DJ his wedding. It's good to be out of that college town and away from my crazy ex and her crazier friends.

:edit:
Empire Records is on Netflix. I forgot how nonsensical that movie is, but the music is great. Also, Season 2 of The Orville started and Hulu got the rest of Letterkenny.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
current job status: surprise offsite visit to see the marine corpse tomorrow morning, goddamnit poo poo

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Vasudus posted:

current job status: surprise offsite visit to see the marine corpse tomorrow morning, goddamnit poo poo

Bring some crayons to butter them up

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Better yet bring some butter to butter them up and a green sharpie for your dilz.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
nobody likes it when we visit the different offices

we're like the grand inquisition

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just constantly and casually drop the "well y'all are just navy anyhow" line. Bam, mad marines with dip drool pouring out there maws.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Surprise! Oil check!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
it was hilarious listening to my boss, who is a 5-foot-nothing jewish lady scream at a major from the marines over the phone and ended the call with 'are you in your office tomorrow? block off some time then, we'll be there at 10' <hangs up phone> 'bitch'

it was like the scene from snatch, except ten billion times lamer

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

poo poo. That Lego Star Wars Star Destroyer is still on my "eventually buy this for yourself" list. I really liked the Imperial starships and how strangly angular they were. Better than Mon Calamari bullshit blobs.

Millenium Falcon? gently caress that. Gimme that YT-2400.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Soulex posted:

poo poo. That Lego Star Wars Star Destroyer is still on my "eventually buy this for yourself" list. I really liked the Imperial starships and how strangly angular they were. Better than Mon Calamari bullshit blobs.

I wish Legos did combat aircraft.

And the SR-71.

Just imagine, 1960's technological achievement collection
SR-71
Saturn V
X-15
XB-70

Flikken fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 3, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I would absolutely buy a lego A-10

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Got a roll of Cinestill 800T 35mm back. Boy this looks good. Definitely not cheap because the roll + development was about 26 bucks all told.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Soulex posted:

I got the Star Destroyer set many years ago. It's a fun one. The assembly instructions are a pair of giant coffee table books.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Flikken posted:

I wish Legos did combat aircraft.

And the SR-71.

They had one submitted on their website, and it got the 10k votes to be considered, and they decided against production. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013
I put together the Saturn V and VW Camper Van kits a few months back and they were great. The van set bags didn’t come in specific steps like the Saturn V though.

Anyone thinking about putting it together should know it’s just about 4’ tall when finished.