Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Note that his right side is more a dark grey than a full black. Certainly looks like it could be painted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, I remember Shirokuma said he painted his body white, but then why is there a Monokuma that's all black? Did the kids just conveniently decide to do the reverse?

I've just been operating under the assumption that Shirokuma's a possibly-unwitting mole because of that. Now that the "sacrifice" happened, it's tilting a little more towards unwitting, but still.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Alright, let's have a chat with Haiji.

Um...where are we going?
Didn't I tell you? The place where our trump card is hidden.
And just what the hell is this "trump card" and why didn't you say anything about it earlier?
I'm not trying to be cryptic, it's just... hard to explain in words. It's much easier if you see it with your own eyes. Then you'll understand, I promise.
Jeez, you sound like some manga protagonist from the 90s...

I'm surprised that wasn't followed up with a "not that I would know anything about that".

Anyway, it's our last hope for stopping the kids before it gets any worse. If there's one thing I know for sure... This is our last shot.
Does something like that really exist?
I'm telling you because I trust you guys. And I need you two to trust me as well.
Ah, so not only are you chicken, you're also a narcissistic bastard.
However... Getting there is going to be a problem. Let me think...

Me and Four Eyes will go in the back. It'll be cramped, but you'll have to deal with it for now.
Wh-What do you mean leave it to me?
Listen, it's important that you don't freak out. If you don't...we should be fine.
That's not an explanation!
Didn't he just say not to freak out? I don't really get it, but...you should prepare yourself.
W-Wait, I haven't mentally prepared myself yet...
Enough with the complaints, let's just go.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

Gyaaa!

♪ BGM: DSO_Junk Food for a Dashing Youth

Enough with the complaints, let's gooo!
Haha, I thought you'd be the one freaking out, Komaru!
I've never ridden one of these before! This is so fun!
Wh-Why is Komaru the one driving!? She doesn't even have a license!
I can't drive with my arm like this! And it's not like cops are gonna pull us over or somethin'!
Y-You're right, but!
Hey listen, we never know when the Monokumas might attack next. Let's speed it up!
Rogeeer!
Gyaaa!

A-Are you...taking us to a secluded spot to... To do "stuff" with us!? If that's your plan, hurry up and get it over with! I won't resist!
...Um, no. That's not what I was thinking at all. Especially not with *you*. I...I like 'em younger. As young as possible.
...Actually, can I leave now?
Anyway! It's time. Careful of where you stand, if you talk you might bite your tongue.

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

You'd never expect such an elaborate machine here, right? That's how you know it's important. This is Towa Group's secret factory, after all.
Secret factory?
This place was restricted to top executives only. During emergencies, the restrictions get tougher. Now, the only ones who can move this elevator are me and my old man.
I see... So not even the brats can get into this place...

I've told you already. It's our last hope. And it's deep inside this factory. However, we do have a bit of a problem.
It's the reason I was hesitant to come here in the first place.
Wh-What? Just say it.
...In order to deter intruders and thieves, our family uses Monokumas to guard the area...

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

...Monokumas!?
Ever since the riot, we haven't been able to contact the office that controls them. To what I can guess, the Monokumas here had their control functions broken. I bet they would even attack *me*, like I was any other adult.
Okay, j-just wait! Slow down a sec! Why are the Monokumas here in the first place!? Didn't the kids bring them?
Yeah, I expected this reaction... But you'll know the answer to that question as well once we're through here.
Y-You... You're being awfully suspicious...
Yeah, probably. I even think so myself.
But for now...will you please trust me? I'm begging you, you two are the only ones who can make it through here. You have to help! There's no way I can do it alone, but I'm not just going to abandon the hope that's in here. I took your words to heart... That I need to fight back, no giving up.
Haiji...
Toko, why don't we just try going there for now? I mean, we've gone this far already...
If he does anything I don't like along the way... I'm turning around and leaving.
That sounds fair to me. The trump card is deep inside this factory. We need to take the elevator to the bottom floor.

♪ BGM: The Forbidden Playhouse

Alright, so here we are in Towa Group's secret factory.

It has this strange thing in the middle that rotates with red lasers. It's probably not good if we touch them.

So of course nobody even considers not touching them, and an alarm goes off.

Wh-What?
Be careful! If you touch the lasers, an alarm goes off!
You should've said that earlier!

A Siren shows up at the top of the big thing in the middle...

...the doors and elevators lock down...

...and unpainted Monokumas show up.

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

So now we need to take out the Siren.

Since I still had a powered-up Break shot stored, this wasn't exactly difficult.

Taking out the Siren automatically takes out all the other Monokumas. I'm not entirely sure about this, but I think that you actually get the experience points for the other Monokumas, which in theory means that this would be a pretty effective place to get experience points.

After taking out the Siren, the lasers turn back on and everything else goes back to normal.

Pictured: Me, not realizing that I'm about one or two frames away from tripping the lasers again. This happens a few times - it took me a bit to get a hang of exactly where you can stand and not get hit by the lasers. I'll just skip the constant "trigger lasers, shoot Siren, lasers turn off".

Our first stop is a room over to the right.

It has a save spot, and a collectible!

So can I assume that you haven't really experienced that incident?
Well, by the time I was abducted, the world was already pretty messed up. The crime rate was high, the war had started... 7 of my classmates had died...
...Do you mean they were killed by despair?
I'm not really sure if they died, but one day, all 7 of them went missing. And a little while after...someone mailed a package to the school... 35 fingers were inside.
Th-That's horrible...
They never ended up finding them... There's no way they're still alive.
Because I went through that... I'm worried about my parents...
If your brother were here, I'm sure he'd say something like this: "Do not lose hope."
Hope...
Yeah, you're right! It's not like I know for sure Checko or my parents are dead!
...Checko?
Oh, my friend who disappeared. Her name was Chieko.
Oh, you had a nickname for her.
Yeah, she was a pretty close friend, after all.
...Your friend...Checko...
Are you...jealous?
What!? Of course not! Don't even think it! Why would I be jealous of a girl with a big brother complex like you!
I told you, I don't have a big brother complex!
I'm sure you're just hiding it from me. Your favorite thing to say is "I wuv you big bro." I also can't abandon the idea that you two eat all your food by mouth-to-mouth...
Jeez, that's *way* past a big brother complex at that point!

Our next stop is a room on the other side. There's a gate blocking our path, but there's also a button to press, so let's press it.

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

Alright Four Eyes, step on the switch. Then, Komaru and I can go through.
Th-That would leave me behind!

Suddenly, a Monokuma!

drat, here they come! We gotta run for now!
Ah, hey!

And that's exactly what we do. Now that the concept of putting Monokumas on buttons with Link has been introduced, I'm sure it won't show up like five minutes from now in a Monoku-Man room.

Next up, we have a collectible.

This factory seems to have been working on something groundbreaking.

I wonder what it is they're making.

Next, we find another room with a MonoMono machine, a save spot, and a collectible.

Ha, world domination... Sounds swell. If we could completely control all the brats in the world *and* the adults... That'd be nice.
So it's just as I thought!
I'm just kidding... Towa Group isn't some evil corporation straight out of a movie. It's a financial group with a simple policy and reasonable assets. "Normal" to a T. Aside from all the greed driving me to make this company the largest in the world, of course.
Don't joke with me! A no-good corporation like yours is no match for Togami Corporation!
Hm? Are you from the Togami family?
W-Well, not yet... But I'm planning to become one!
...What the hell is this chick talking about?
...It's a long story. Just let it go.
Well anyway, there's no dangerous ulterior motives behind Towa Group...currently.
H-Hold on, "currently"!? So it *used* to have dangerous ambitions?
Well, we may be nobles now, but that doesn't mean we didn't start at the bottom like everyone else. I'm sure Towa Group was rather ambitious when they were still a startup.
I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about when your father was chairman, before all this happened.
...Who knows? I wasn't exactly deeply involved with the business side of Towa. I have no idea. But it is true that Towa was working to put the incident in the past.
That's why they made the air purifiers, right?
We also detoxify sea water and replant forests. We're honestly pretty good people.
Good people? The moment you started using Monokumas as guards, you stopped being "good."
Jeez, you're a pushy one aren't you? I already told you, you gotta trust me on this one.
And we should trust you just because you say so?
Toko, I know how you feel, but now's not the time for this.
Hmph... I know.
But Komaru, you can't trust this guy. The moment you let your guard down, he'll touch your butt!
On my honor... I promise I'm not into her! ...Specifically. What I'm tryin' to say is, the younger they are, the better it is for me!
That is a hardcore lolita complex! The real deal!
But I mean, the fact that he *admits* it... It's kind of attractive.
...You are really *terrible* at picking men!

I really do wonder if this is implying what I think it's implying, or if Haiji is just really, REALLY bad at wording. On the other hand, I shouldn't be wondering this.

We continue making our way across the factory floor, finding collectibles.

It's another Hit List entry! Thinking about it, I haven't actually checked out any of the ancillary stuff for Danganronpa, except this game I guess.

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

Next stop, a Monoku-Man room.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

This one isn't too difficult. We have a regular Monokuma that we can shoot with Link through the open part of the wall. That Monokuma then gets moved onto the button in such a way that it doesn't look at the gate the button opens (otherwise it'll spot us coming in), then we can walk through, circle around behind the Ball Monokuma and then hit it with Knockback to take out all the other Monokumas.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

Like so!

After that, we find an elevator and make our way to the second floor.

Don't you think this is strange? It's just like I thought, this place is fishy... Monokumas guarding the place, what they're making at this factory...

Let's hurry up and get the trump card. I can finally show them hope...
Toko... What do you think?
We've come this far, there's no choice but to go for it. I'll be the judge of this "hope."

The second factory floor is mostly more of the same. Dodging lasers, finding collectibles, and Monoku-Man rooms. So let's get to it!

I'm sure it's nothing.

Collectible!

...I... what? Am I misreading this, or are we looking at a slut shaming sock? This is weird.

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

Let's do a Monoku-Man room instead.

This is another fairly easy one. We use the hologram to attract the regular Monokuma, then Link with it to move it to that little water area that links up to the area with the eight Guards. Then we stand on the button to open the gate and shoot the regular Monokuma with Paralyze, taking them all out.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

Like so!

After crossing the factory floor one more time, we're once again dumped into another Monoku-Man room. This is the last of the chapter.

I'm not sure how to do this one. I thought the idea was "Link with regular Monokuma and push button, Link with Bomber and move him into a good position to blow up the others, use Knockback on Ball Monokuma to take everybody out". I guess I should have assumed that was wrong since it didn't involve the hologram, which was probably there for a reason.

So I do exactly that...

...and am left with a regular Monokuma in its original position. Well, we'll figure it out in the second playthrough. Or rather, I'll read a walkthrough.

One more trip across the factory floor, and we're at another safe room, with another collectible for us!

Does it really matter?
Well thinking of you as a celebrity makes me want to act more formal...
Being famous for something like this doesn't make me happy at all. I wish I never had the other me.
But why did Genocide Jack get into you in the first place?
...Get into me? What are you talking about?
I mean, identity disorders are like that, right? Was there a reason for it? Like, maybe your souls switched when you got hit by a truck or something?
There's no way something that ridiculously Sci-Fi would ever happen in real life.
It's true that she's inside me, but... She didn't come in from the outside. She's more like...a personality I created out of suppressed emotions.
That sounds kinda "Sci-Fi" to me... But if that's the case, what was the reason you suppressed your emotions?
...My mother. It's my mother's fault that she was born inside me. I never thought of them as my real mothers, not even once.
Wait, "them" as your "mothers"? Don't you mean your mother and father?
I'm a novelist, I wouldn't misspeak like that. I said "them" and I meant it. ...I have two mothers.
Oh... Did your dad remarry or something?
No, he wasn't married to begin with.
Sounds complicated...
At the hospital where I was born, a baby born the same time as me died from a medical accident. That's not so uncommon. However...
Through some mix-up, the hospital wasn't able to determine which mother's baby had died. And that's why I have two mothers. You get it now?
But wait, wouldn't they be able to find out which child was which with a blood test?
...Both mothers declined the exam. A loving mother wouldn't want to face the possibility that the baby who died was theirs. But both of them...wanted their child to die.
They also discovered that both women had slept with the same man. Of course, that would be my father.
I mean, who could have thought an ugly, impure woman like me would have a player for a father...?
Th-That was a prime opportunity! You were supposed to object to the "ugly" and "impure" part! You making that face is just making me feel worse!
Sorry...I just can't even imagine...
Anyway, because of all that, my daily life was full of stress. For a while, I turned my negative feelings into novels, but it got harder and harder... To release the feelings that I couldn't bury with my novels, Genocide Jack was born.
Wow, that's...a pretty amazing story.
Well, I'm sure my extraordinary birth helps a lot with writing extraordinary novels... But thinking back on it all now, I don't think it was that big of a deal.
...Um... Toko...
Oh don't you dare get weirded out by my story and try to change the subject now! Y-You're the one who asked, so you're gonna wallow in these bad memories with me, dammit!
No, it's not like that... How should I say it? I like you, Toko.
H-Huh!? What the hell are you talking about!?
Oh, sorry, that came out a little wrong.
I like you as a friend, Toko. So what did you wanna say?
...F-Forget it. I was going to keep going on about my misfortunes, but I seem to have forgotten...

And that's all there is for us on the second level, and that'll be it for this update. Next time, we go through the rest of the factory and finish up this chapter.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

hm yes, what this game really needed was an ostensibly sympathetic character to repeatedly confirm that he likes underage girls :hmmyes:

(Haiji is the worst character in Danganronpa)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheMcD posted:

I...I like 'em younger. As young as possible.
...Actually, can I leave now?

Same, Komaru.

TheMcD posted:

On my honor... I promise I'm not into her! ...Specifically. What I'm tryin' to say is, the younger they are, the better it is for me!
That is a hardcore lolita complex! The real deal!
But I mean, the fact that he *admits* it... It's kind of attractive.

No, it really isn't.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 2, 2019

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I am actively looking forward to his inevitable gristly demise.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
Are they just trying to make Haiji as bad as possible so that the brats (and Toko in my opinion) look okay by comparison? Komaru is the only character I like in this game so far, and even she is slowly sliding due to Toko's influence with that coward and normal bullshit.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

over/under on discovering his trump card is handing the protagonists off to the kids in some kind of plea deal?

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

FoolyCharged posted:

over/under on discovering his trump card is handing the protagonists off to the kids in some kind of plea deal?

My bet is that he's the one that has the other Warriors of Light and intends to hold them hostage, and he's also been molesting Kotoko. Because that is the worst possible result of this whole 'Haji likes 'em young' angle, so that's what's going to happen.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm starting to think Toko had Haiji pegged from the word go.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

SSNeoman posted:

I'm starting to think Toko had Haiji pegged from the word go.

Literally? :)

Guess we found the monokuma factory. Maybe it has 1000000 monokumas we can use to fight the kids. Or maybe a remote control for the others.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So yeah, this is where Haiji loses any and all sympathy from everyone, there is maybe a silver lining in that he’s confirmed to not actually partake in his perversion and is only so candid because of the apocalypse. But yeah it’s not much of a silver lining and Haiji being an awful person is well, a thing we are now having to deal with.

What makes it extra lovely is the little motorcycle scene is actually great, and is one of the best little moments in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It doesn't help that "Actually I'm an implied pedophile" is a "gag" coming after a chapter about a sexually assaulted child.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheMcD posted:

...Both mothers declined the exam. A loving mother wouldn't want to face the possibility that the baby who died was theirs. But both of them...wanted their child to die.

This line is a little confusing. Is she saying that her mothers wanted their own child to be dead or the other woman's child to be dead?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

What makes it extra lovely is the little motorcycle scene is actually great, and is one of the best little moments in the game.

Can we all take a moment and appreciate Komaru's :getin: face

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

No, Komaru, there is NOTHING attractive about that. :stare:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Mraagvpeine posted:

This line is a little confusing. Is she saying that her mothers wanted their own child to be dead or the other woman's child to be dead?

It seems like they both wanted their own child to be the one that had died, because her dad had cheated with both of them.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Huh, I always saw Haiji's comment in more of a "I want a girl who literally just turned 18 today" way, which is still kind of bad, but not as bad as... well, what you see it as.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Toko and Komaru are both younger than 18. Haiji's complaint is that they're not young enough for him. Do the disgusting math.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It doesn't help that "Actually I'm an implied pedophile" is a "gag" coming after a chapter about a sexually assaulted child.
And it's met with a brief "ew, gross" before moving on. DR: UDG, everyone.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If taken in that way, Komaru's follow up remark becomes less creepy.

Unfortunately, they are high school age. I can't imagine Toko is older than 20ish, and Hajii is saying WAY younger.

Edit: The DR artbooks have character evaluations given by other characters in the game, whether they meet or not (Chihiro is terrified of Syo, for instance), aside from the real Junko.

Here's what Haiji (and everyone else) has to say about Kotoko.

I believe a different translation mentioned his issue was her personality.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 3, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, yeah, that's pretty disgusting.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

Feed Haiji to the monokumas and then the writer of this game

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If taken in that way, Komaru's follow up remark becomes less creepy.

Unfortunately, they are high school age. I can't imagine Toko is older than 20ish, and Hajii is saying WAY younger.

Edit: The DR artbooks have character evaluations given by other characters in the game, whether they meet or not (Chihiro is terrified of Syo, for instance), aside from the real Junko.

Here's what Haiji (and everyone else) has to say about Kotoko.

I believe a different translation mentioned his issue was her personality.

Apparently Komaru is in his strike zone. His preference is for child like girls that are just at the age of consent. But he does not engage in his fetish cause he knows it's creepy. Still not great and very creepy.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 3, 2019

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

It's quite remarkable how quickly and nonchalantly this game took me from "Haiji's a fuckhead, but mostly it's cause he's stuck with a leadership position when he really isn't a good leader" to "Haiji needs to die in three separate fires". Immediately following the child sexual abuse chapter.

Dangan Ronpa!

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently Komaru is in his strike zone. His preference is for child like girls that are just at the age of consent. But he does not engage in his fetish cause he knows it's creepy. Still not great and very creepy.

Yeah as I said he doesn't practice his perversion, this does not make it any better that he has it as a character trait or that it comes up literally the chapter after the child sexual abuse chapter. I presume before the apocalypse he just didn't tell people and after he's just stopped giving a poo poo.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

curiousCat posted:

It seems like they both wanted their own child to be the one that had died, because her dad had cheated with both of them.

I guess that makes sense, but then why did the two women raise Toko? Why not give her to someone else?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mraagvpeine posted:

I guess that makes sense, but then why did the two women raise Toko? Why not give her to someone else?

Cause they did not want the other mother passing her off on them I guess.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Now it's time to check out the third level.

This area doesn't have moving lasers - instead, there's a whole bunch of lasers focused on one area, preventing us from progressing.

At least that means we can grab collectibles in peace.

Some more stuff on what they're building in here. I wonder what it is?

...oh.

Don't worry, if you input the password in the Management Room, the lasers will shut off.

Just a bit more... If we can get to that elevator, we can get to the deepest area. Once we're there...the trump card is ours.
Jeez, this sucks. I'm starting to wish I just left...

Well, let's go and check out that room then.

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

...Just like I thought.
What, you expected this!? Explain!
This guy wasn't killed by a kid. He was killed by a Guard Monokuma that went haywire. But this is a problem... He's the only one who knows the password to turn off the lasers.
Then what are we gonna do!?
We gotta find that password somehow... I'm sure there's a clue or something in here. We can't just give up...
Oh, c'mon, don't start complaining... Let's just do this.

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

So, did anyone expect a password puzzle? Because that's what you're getting. Let's check around for clues.

We put the password in here to stop the lasers.
B-But there's no way we could possibly know what it is...
We've got to look for a hint, there's no other way. After getting a good look around, let me know. Maybe I can think of something...
I don't really expect a punk like you to come up with a bright idea, but thanks anyway.

The fact that I'm starting to get used to this kind of thing...disgusts me.
Huh, what's this?

A passage is written in the bloodstained notebook. "The 3rd Saturday is my son's birthday this year. I can't wait to spend time together." "I can see my son and my wife's smiles in my mind. What should I buy for a present?"

I wonder if he was able to spend time with his son on his birthday...
...No time for tears right now.

Something's written on the bloody photograph. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY! 69 8"

With the blood on it... It doesn't feel like a happy birthday picture at all...

It says, "The password is my son's birthday."

Wow, actually writing down a password like this? How technologically impaired are you? Should I use this to log in to some shady mail order website?
Toko... Why do you know about shady mail order websites?
Sh-Shut up! That's not important right now!
Anyway... We get the password if we can figure out his son's birthday, right?

We should be able to guess the son's birthday from all the information we've got.
Hm, his birthday is the 3rd Saturday, with the numbers 69 and 8 on the photo... ...Argh, that's not enough info at all!
Hey, don't give up now!
I can't think of anything yet... But talk to me later. I might think of something.

So, we should now have enough information to solve this puzzle. And, well, I don't have a loving clue.

Thankfully, the game allows us to get some hints, and eventually it will just outright tell us the answer. So I'll just do that!

Like, the 1st day of the month can never be the 3rd Saturday, right?
Right! The 1st can only be in the 1st week of any month! Then a 3rd Saturday, that could be... Toko, from what day to what day would it be?
Don't ask me, I'm liberal arts to the core!

So that's the first hint.

Maybe you should think of it as something other than just a number...
Not a number...?

That's the second hint.

The 3rd Saturday should be between the 15th and the 21st for any month.
Which means, problem solved if I just input 7 days worth of each month!
Hey, wait! Are you seriously gonna stand there and try 84 combinations!? Think about it along with the number on the photo, and then you should get the password.

That's the third hint.

Sign of Cancer...?
It's a thing used in horoscopes. If you think of it that way, the star makes sense. It's definitely Cancer's sign.
So the 8... Is that August?
...Are you really a high school student? Cancer is from 6/22 to 7/22.
Meaning the 8 has to be a date. That would make the most sense.
Either the 8th, the 18th, or the 28th...
If you think of that and the 3rd Saturday, that should give you the answer.
The 3rd Saturday?
You already forqot?
The 3rd Saturday is between the 15th and the 21st for any month.
You're right! Now we know the answer!

That's the fourth hint. And finally, if you tell the game to just outright tell you the answer:

The birthday is on a 3rd Saturday, under the sign of Cancer. All good so far?
Yeah but...I can't figure out anything else...
Well think about it like this... Regardless of the month, the birthday has to be between the 15th and the 21st. And it's got to be between 6/22 and 7/22.
To fulfill both requirements, it's some time between 7/15 and 7/21, so 7 days.
And within those 7 days, the correct date has an 8 in it.
So that means... 7/18?
Yeah, I think that's it. It's got to be. The correct password is 0718.
Hurry up and input it so we can get out of this room...

Alright, let's do that.

And that turns the lasers off!

You sure talk big, you couldn't even look us in the eye a while ago!
N-Now now...

Now we can take the elevator, but first, collectible!

Huh. Well that's just rude.

Also, there's some sparkles in front of the giant... spinning... Monokuma ball thing?

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

Now, with that done, let's head down.

The fourth floor doesn't have a lot.

There's an area where discarded Monokuma parts get smashed up and scrapped.

There's this "Monokuma Maker", which apparently takes palm trees and spits out Monokumas.

Occasionally, these two guys also come out over the assembly line. They're a sort of mascot for Sony / Playstation in general.

Revolutionary!

We have one more collectible.

Looks like Nagisa was harboring a lot more doubts than he was letting on. Well, there's probably nothing left of that now that Monaca, uh, set him straight.

We have a skill shop, but it's still all sold out.

Our last hope...
We've come this far, but... This is just too suspicious... Komaru, open the door...but be careful.
...So *I'm* the one who has to open the door.

Well, let's do it.

Upon entering the door, Komaru doesn't know what the gently caress.

Toko is pretty shocked as well, though Haiji doesn't really look surprised. What is it they're seeing?

Oh, nothing special, just A GIANT loving MONOKUMA.

♪ BGM: DSO_Weekly Despair Magazine

Th-This is...a Monokuma?

This Monokuma is the last hope...?
It's not just an oversized Monokuma. It's a secret weapon that was built by Towa Group in case we ever needed to defend the city. If we use Big Bang Monokuma now... We can put up a fight and take back the city.
I-It's just as I thought... This is wrong! Why did Towa Group make such a thing!? And not only that, this whole factory! You were building Monokumas here!?
What's the meaning of this? Why are they being built in Towa's factory?
Oh, don't tell me... You better not turn out to be the mastermind or some bullshit like that.
Hey c'mon, if I were behind it all, why would I make Monokuma break my arm?
Then you better start talking.

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

The Monokumas that are built here were supposed to be introduced to the world as Maid Robots. They were developed to assist daily life and also to help with dangerous labor tasks. But...those kids ended up taking over...
In wh-what way would this giant thing be a maid, exactly!?
This one's special. Didn't I tell you? This was built to protect the town from danger.
Then why make it look like a Monokuma? If these things were supposed to be maid robots...
Don't blame me, I didn't pick the design. The one who developed them chose that on their own.
"Don't blame me" is a classic excuse for dodging responsibility... Typical.
It is what it is. At the time these were being made, I wasn't even aware of it.
Ah, wait... About the one who developed them...

Suddenly, an interruption!

Wh-What is it now!?

♪ BGM: Sortie! Its Name Is Robot

A robot crashes through the ceiling!

What the hell happened?

It's Nagisa's robot!

And where Nagisa's robot is, there is also Nagisa.

He's, uh, not looking so good.

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

That kid... He's the one who wanted to let us go, right?

Found you... Demons... I can't believe it... Hiding something like this...
Let me guess, did she tell you about this? If she can't control it, she wants you to destroy it?
Well, I won't let it happen! This is the hope we've finally got for ourselves...
You want to crush our paradise...with something like this... I won't let you... Everyone expects so much of the Warriors of Hope... And of me...

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

I'll work harder! I'll do it, anything, just please don't abandon me... Father... Mother... Big Sis Junko! Monaca! More, more, more! Expect more from me!
Wh-What's wrong with him!? He's batshit crazy!
How did he get like this...?
I can do it... I can really do it... Because out of all the Warriors of Hope... I'm the best at controlling these robots!

♪ BGM: Sortie! Its Name Is Robot

The robot starts blasting away, having Komaru running for cover.

poo poo! This is bad!

Toko! This way!

Whether they're Demons or not... anyone who gets in the way of paradise... I'll defeat each and every one of them!

So please! Give me high expectations! Expect more of me! More! Please expect the best from me!

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

What do we do? Should we just run?
...But... Haiji said... The big Monokuma is the last hope for everyone back at the base...
If we run now, that Monokuma's gonna be destroyed, right? The last hope for the adults will be gone...
Y-You... Are you actually going to protect that thing!?
D-Do you realize what you're doing!? It's too dangerous...
...But then again... Maybe we have to fight.
Huh?

♪ BGM: DSO_New World Order

Maybe a certain someone's speech actually influenced me a little... That's so unlike me...
But it's going to be alright. Look how far we've come already...
Yeah, you're right.

The two step out in front of the robot. It's boss battle time.

♪ BGM: The Warriors Of Hope

Well. Nagisa's robot represents a step up in difficulty. There's a large amount of cover in this arena, and Nagisa's robot will slide around the arena, taking aim at Komaru and taking shots.

After the shots, you're given an opportunity to snipe its eye, which is its weak spot. After hitting it once, it's stunned and you can get a few shots off.

After getting hit, it jumps up to the three higher pillars in the arena and does a surrounding shot that hits you regardless of cover. This shot it's doing right now will hit me in a few frames, and I never figured out how to dodge that particular one. I assume you have to just be far enough away or hide behind the other large pillars, though I never managed that in this fight.

Getting caught out in the open and getting sniped is surprisingly easy.

Thankfully, the game drops health pickups when you're low on health, and thanks to our plentiful amount of skills, they heal 3 HP instead of 1, and I have 5 HP instead of 3. So that helps a lot. I think I take somewhere around 8 HP damage in this fight.

After a few hits, the Monokuma shield on its eye breaks and the core is exposed, leading to the second phase. Here, the robot swoops around in the windows and occasionally stops to take a shot at us.

It also throws grenades, which was an unwelcome surprise to me.

When it takes a shot, there's a chance it'll stop to reload, giving you a chance to take a shot yourself, or it'll swoop around again and take another shot. Assuming it'll reload without making sure that it's doing that will lead to getting shot.

From that point on, it's just about taking shots when you can get them until the boss goes down.

Finally, after defeating the boss, it has one last trick up its sleeve - it'll jump onto the central platform and scatter grenades everywhere, which is pretty much guaranteed to get you if you're not prepared for it.

♪ BGM: Punishment Of The Sage

Nagisa's robot is not having a good time.

Nagisa just keeps trying to control it, which isn't a particularly good idea...

...particularly given the way that one arm is leaning.

And, well, uh...

...things end poorly.

But what about that kid...?

...Sorry, that wasn't funny.
Now's not the time! We gotta save him!
Just leave him...
...Huh?
If we save this crazy-rear end kid, he'll just end up doing the same thing again. He probably got crushed anyway. We can't save him even if we wanted to.

♪ BGM: DSO_Welcome Despair Academy

Hahahaha... The hope... We've finally got our hope...
H-Hope...
Alright, let's ride this right to the enemy's HQ!
Ride? On the Monokuma?
Oh, don't worry, you aren't driving this time. You wouldn't be able to, anyway. The only ones who can control this are me and my old man.
So I've gotta move this myself...
Now, let's begin the counterattack! Once the others see this, they'll be pumped for sure! Haha...hahahaha!

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

Meanwhile...

Just as Monaca expected.
Ufufu, it's just like I thought. He met my expectations to the letter. Now then...I should get started on the final preparations.

♪ BGM: Like I Would Become A Monster

You too, Mom and Dad.

Your child will be born again as The Successor to Junko Enoshima. Aha, ahahaha.

Well, that's not foreboding at all. As an aside, "Let's open the gates of Hell with Monaca" is one of my most favorite lines in the game. It's delivered with the kind of cadence that you would expect a kids' educational show character to say "Let's count to ten" with. But instead of that, it's opening the gates of Hell. That kind of sums up one of the reasons I love Monaca so much - pitch-black evil wrapped in a saccharine shell.

So that's the end of the chapter, and, uh, yeah. That didn't go well.

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

I already know you're useless, but maybe you can at least be useful as a garbage can.

Our bonus here is a pathetic 50 Monocoins.

♪ BGM: Chapter End

And with that, Chapter 4 comes to a close. Next time, we'll redo this chapter and do it right, and then, it's the final chapter. poo poo's gonna get real.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Those pictures of Komaru getting shot are funny for some reason. You can see the weariness in her eyes.

What is it with characters named Monaca making inappropriate puns about people's untimely demises?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Haiji you are getting more sketch by the second.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I think he can only go uphill from the last update, really.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What about you talking about? I'm sure nothing bad will come of giving a giant war machine to a bunch of child haters. :v:

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm not sure where Operation "work with (probably) Monaca to make Monokuma Maids so I can turn into budget Nagito" ever seemed like a good plan.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about you talking about? I'm sure nothing bad will come of giving a giant war machine to a bunch of child haters. :v:

I'm looking forward to it. The Monokuma Kids are still up in the air as to whether or not they are actually willingly going along, but the Warriors of Hope can go and get squished. I'm sure those bastards aren't dead given how the game is currently progressing.

Do it Big Bang Monokuma. Wreck the Warriors of Hope's poo poo. Even though I know that won't happen because there's going to be some stupid warped moral at the end. I can dream though. I can dream.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If it isn't obvious at this point, all of the Warriors of Hope's robots are named after movies.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OK, here's a random question I just thought of because I'm not sure if there is basically one answer to this question or more than one right now.

That question is: "Who is going to become The Successor?".

Because I know the answer, I might be seeing hints towards answers that others might not be seeing or something, so I'm curious.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TheMcD posted:

OK, here's a random question I just thought of because I'm not sure if there is basically one answer to this question or more than one right now.

Because I know the answer, I might be seeing hints towards answers that others might not be seeing or something, so I'm curious.

I originally thought Kotoko, but that's out the window with that last Monaca scene.

So it's got to be Komaru. Monaca says 'Your child', so it doesn't seem like it's herself that she's referring to. Toko just talked about how her moms didn't want her or some poo poo, so I don't see how Monaca taking them captive or killing them would do anything to her. Komaru is pretty much the only one that fits the bill, especially since she's apparently being strung along by Nagito for some mysterious purpose.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 4, 2019

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Oh, I was partially still under the impression that Monaca was going to perform necromancy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

freshlybaked posted:

Oh, I was partially still under the impression that Monaca was going to perform necromancy.

Given everything else in Danganronpa I would not be surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Hiro Hagakure.