Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

I'm going to be in Bratislava and Vienna in a few weeks for work and I'll have two days free. Thinking about skiing, but unsure where. I will be in Vienna when I get free, so looking more at skiing in Austria than Slovakia. I have absolutely no idea what is feasible, but wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable about that part of the world.

I'd definitely do Austria, skiing in Austria is just super cool in a "this is where this sport is the most insane" sort of way. Vienna is still like at least 100km from the alps, so you'd be best off taking a train the night you first get off so you can sleep where you want to be and start skiing straight away the next day.

If you're going to be there the weekend of Kitzbuhel, 100% go to there, ski and watch the greatest spectacle in ski racing. Seeing WC races in Europe is just so different to doing it in America.

Other than that, I don't really know where to suggest, sorry. Hintertux is a pretty cool valley, but it's also very far from Vienna and you'd probably have a number of other places that are closer and easier to get to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Eejit posted:

I'm going to be in Bratislava and Vienna in a few weeks for work and I'll have two days free. Thinking about skiing, but unsure where. I will be in Vienna when I get free, so looking more at skiing in Austria than Slovakia. I have absolutely no idea what is feasible, but wondering if anyone here was knowledgeable about that part of the world.

Vienna isn't super close to the mountains but you can get to Semmering in an hour or the bigger Annaberg in an hour and 45 minutes.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Hello thread! I married into a skiing family from the Seattle area, and over Christmas, we visited Snoqualmie a twice to teach me skiing, in part to prepare me for new years 2020, when they got a timeshare cabin at tahoe and I don't want to spend the whole time sitting in the lodge. My father in law gave me lessons, and I'm at a point where I can stop reliably and turn by shifting to my uphill ski and riding it around , though the faster I'm going the more I have trouble keeping control/not falling while doing those things. I'm not at a point where I'm really using the poles much at all yet. Unfortunately, I'm now back home in a place where there's snow aplenty, but the land is completely flat for hundreds of miles. What, if anything, can I do at this point to try and keep practicing or learning while I don't have access to real skiing? I don't expect to be joining my wife and her dad on black diamond runs, but I'd like to at least be competent enough to get off the bunny slopes and do runs with them that won't bore them.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Rope tow on a snowmobile?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I think doing some cross country skiing would help in terms of balance and maybe lose a few holiday pounds!

Fair warning, I can't imagine a less fun way to ski. Also don't let your in laws teach you how to ski, take a legit class.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Got a late start to the season but got in 4 days this week. I'm more than 95 lbs lighter than last season so my burly freeride boards are pretty interesting to ride now. I can't be lazy about loading them up now but I can still drive them pretty hard even at this weight. I also ordered a left over 2017 Nitro Pantera SC because I'm a glutton for punishment.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

I think doing some cross country skiing would help in terms of balance and maybe lose a few holiday pounds!

Fair warning, I can't imagine a less fun way to ski. Also don't let your in laws teach you how to ski, take a legit class.

Good advice, but it sounds like they’re not teaching snowplow turns, so that’s good.

Cross country is useful, but ice skating is even better for flatland training. If you “get” edges on ice skates you’ll get edges on skis fairly quickly. If you go with cross country don’t get duped into thinking classic is easy and skating is advanced. Skating technique is not hard to pick up and it’s way more fun to be a mediocre skate skier than a mediocre classic skier.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Good advice, but it sounds like they’re not teaching snowplow turns, so that’s good.
I mean sure but also stopping by shifting to the uphill ski screams "LESSONS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE A LESSON!"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Had a fun day up at Mammoth, didn't get to do anything too excited since we were skiing with a family friend. I think my dad and I are gonna be on our own tomorrow, so should be able to hit some of the tougher stuff

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I mean sure but also stopping by shifting to the uphill ski screams "LESSONS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE A LESSON!"

I read that as two distinct things, 1) stopping, and 2) initiating a turn by committing to the uphill ski, but yeah lessons will help everyone.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I read that as two distinct things, 1) stopping, and 2) initiating a turn by committing to the uphill ski, but yeah lessons will help everyone.

Oh yeah I think my reading comprehension skills are balls today whoops.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I spent the day at mt Baker and it was p crowded, but at least less crowded than cypress. 1-2” of fresh. B++

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Rated PG-34 posted:

I spent the day at mt Baker and it was p crowded, but at least less crowded than cypress. 1-2” of fresh. B++

How much are the lift tickets there?
Whistler is like loving $140 for a day lift ticket.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Dogeh posted:

How much are the lift tickets there?
Whistler is like loving $140 for a day lift ticket.

65 USD, which kind of sucks for CAD havers since it just tanked further recently

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

Crap. Thanks.
Manning is CAD$59 and Sasquatch is CAD$64.
Guess I will stick with Manning.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Yeah it’s this. As much as learning from my father-in-law might sound like a nightmare, it actually went pretty well. Lots of focus on keeping my weight forward properly, not leaning back with my shoulders, keeping my weight on my downhill ski to ride an edge and shifting uphill to turn, looking downhill to better lean my knee/ankle into my edge. That being said, I’d be open to lessons if they were an option where I live, but they aren’t. I was hoping there were some at home exercises or something I could do, but I understand if there’s no substitute for experience.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I didn't do this because of skiing but after doing squats with weight while balanced on a half bosu ball my stabilizing muscles became much stronger and my balance and therefore skiing ability increased. I highly recommend them.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Out at Sunshine Village today. The snow is "ok" but the lines are short and the weather is great.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Out at Sunshine Village today. The snow is "ok" but the lines are short and the weather is great.

p jealous, even if the snow is merely ok

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

I didn't do this because of skiing but after doing squats with weight while balanced on a half bosu ball my stabilizing muscles became much stronger and my balance and therefore skiing ability increased. I highly recommend them.

Yeah, I've been doing every kind of squat known to man over the past year and I'm at the point where my calfs are getting fatigued before everything else

Man, it was loving cold at mammoth today. Probably single digits when we got onto the mountain and still in the low teens before we called it a day. What kind of face and glove stuff do you guys wear? My fingers were freezing in my gloves and my face was still kinda miserable even with a mask (especially since the part around my mouth was doggy with breath condensation)?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I've been doing every kind of squat known to man over the past year and I'm at the point where my calfs are getting fatigued before everything else

Man, it was loving cold at mammoth today. Probably single digits when we got onto the mountain and still in the low teens before we called it a day. What kind of face and glove stuff do you guys wear? My fingers were freezing in my gloves and my face was still kinda miserable even with a mask (especially since the part around my mouth was doggy with breath condensation)?

On the cold -15C days, I wear mitts so I can throw those little hand warmers in there.
Disclosure: I ride so no need for poles!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, it was loving cold at mammoth today. Probably single digits when we got onto the mountain and still in the low teens before we called it a day. What kind of face and glove stuff do you guys wear? My fingers were freezing in my gloves and my face was still kinda miserable even with a mask (especially since the part around my mouth was doggy with breath condensatn)?

Mittens and more mid layers. If you keep your core warm the blood will get out to your limbs.

For my face I just go with a high collar and a buff. I keep my mouth free of cloth.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, it was loving cold at mammoth today.

It got down to 30 in Burbank Saturday. It's cold in this state.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dogeh posted:

On the cold -15C days, I wear mitts so I can throw those little hand warmers in there.
Disclosure: I ride so no need for poles!

You can still definitely wear mittens and carry ski poles.

I just throw those hand warmer things in the palm of my gloves since I don't have race mittens, and yeah what Sprowzek said. Soggy breath condensation that then freezes is the loving worst, so just do not put anything around your mouth.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I loving love mitts. Mine have a hand warmer pocket that actually sits over the fingers since that what gets cold.

Mostly I keep it open for a vent.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

HookShot posted:

You can still definitely wear mittens and carry ski poles.

I just throw those hand warmer things in the palm of my gloves since I don't have race mittens, and yeah what Sprowzek said. Soggy breath condensation that then freezes is the loving worst, so just do not put anything around your mouth.

Apparently what ice climbers do is put hand warmers on the inside wrist, since that's where the vessels are. heating the blood up = warmer blood into capillaries and fingers. Not sure if that's how it works though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Oh that makes sense, I might try that next time.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking to put together an AT setup for this winter. I live in washington state so there's no lack of places to go touring, and I need an aerobic winter activity.

I've been skiing sporadically over the years but always on borrowed or rented gear so I'm starting from scratch besides clothes/gloves/goggles. And I really need to find an avalanche safety class asap.

Is it possible to have a basic ski/binding/boot setup that can be used at groomed resorts and offtrail too without being miserable for either? I'm not planning on doing any crazy long distance tours or hitting triple black diamonds right away so its OK if my gear isn't the bestest for either.

I've done background research on ski/binding/boot systems so i know some basics, but nothing out there gives specific gear recommendations. I'm not afraid to spend money but I don't want to just go buy all the most expensive poo poo available straight away.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I put the Salomon shift binding on my GFs skis and they have been pretty killer in and out of bounds. They are heavier than some g3 or dynafit bindings but if you are not a crazy cut weight person I am not sure you will notice. She loves them.

Also on my opinion doing get the lightest carbon bc ski it there, get a ski you can actually ski and have fun on

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Heading to Jackson on Sunday to be riding Mon-Fri. Hope the forecast improves as it looks like a total of 2-6 inches the whole week.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
Heli skiing was great and my worries about skill were unfounded. I had to call the day short after my chronic illness flared during lunch, but the morning was exceptional and I’m glad I went.

PSA for men in your 30s: If something seems wrong, don’t waste time before getting your butt checked: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIIHy8kGvM

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
There were so many people out today. I actually had to stand in lift lines and I didn't care for it. Go get jobs.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

bringer posted:

Heli skiing was great and my worries about skill were unfounded. I had to call the day short after my chronic illness flared during lunch, but the morning was exceptional and I’m glad I went.

PSA for men in your 30s: If something seems wrong, don’t waste time before getting your butt checked: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIIHy8kGvM

My best friend would be dead if he hadn’t gotten his butt checked. It’s good advice.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

fknlo posted:

There were so many people out today. I actually had to stand in lift lines and I didn't care for it. Go get jobs.

I've skied so much the past few weeks, I want to quit my job and become a full-time skibum

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Got a leftover Nitro Pantera SC 163 (from 2017 the last year for the SC version). It is 1.5 cm of pure uncut camber and super stiff with tons of rebound. Can't wait to get it out this weekend.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i want the nitro board all the pros use that are bendy as hell to do weird pop tricks like marcus kleveland does out of nowhere

on a side note, i got invited to a breck trip with a bunch of skiiers. i'm not on epic this year so i checked how much the tickets are... 160 a day LOL.

Well, I'll ski with them for like a day-- maybe 2 if someone lets me use their buddy passes.

Otherwise my cheap rear end is going to Copper for free laps!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
We got 40cm of snow overnight, but literally snow at 0 - +1 degree celcius, so it's thick af, the winds are high, the mountain isn't opening, and a whole bunch of people are whining on Facebook that Vail won't let them go up and die in an avalanche in the world's thickest powder ever hahaha.

Like, I'm not one to defend Vail, but it's really not their fault they can't open much of the mountain right now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HookShot posted:

We got 40cm of snow overnight, but literally snow at 0 - +1 degree celcius, so it's thick af, the winds are high, the mountain isn't opening, and a whole bunch of people are whining on Facebook that Vail won't let them go up and die in an avalanche in the world's thickest powder ever hahaha.

Like, I'm not one to defend Vail, but it's really not their fault they can't open much of the mountain right now.

If Vail wouldn’t get sued to oblivion then I’d say just let them naturally select out of the population.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kazak_Hstan posted:

My best friend would be dead if he hadn’t gotten his butt checked. It’s good advice.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YALLS BUTTS?

Tell me what rear end cancer signs I am missing :ohdear:

I also adjusted my stance significantly for the first time in like 15 years. Noticed a touch of knee discomfort last year so I narrowed up a bit and adjusted the angles to +18/+3.
First run was kind of weird but then I ripped the place up the rest of the night. A+ first runs this year. I'm attributing it to great conditions rather than the changes but it's a good sign :)

Math You fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If Vail wouldn’t get sued to oblivion then I’d say just let them naturally select out of the population.

That was my suggestion on one of the Facebook posts, too.