Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

Wasn't there a variation where Jonah's wife was killed by a masked mugger as well? That's how I heard it a few years ago.

At one point it was because his stepfather was a decorated war hero that everyone loved but was also abusing the poo poo out of him and his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At one point it was because his stepfather was a decorated war hero that everyone loved but was also abusing the poo poo out of him and his mother.

how does that translate to "masked men with no accountability is bad"? which has always been at his core for hating spider-man in most media I get get the KKK origin and the masked mugger but not decorated stepfather= Spider-Man: Threat or Menace

MrJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jan 3, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MrJacobs posted:

how does that translate to "masked men with no accountability is bad"? which has always been at his core for hating spider-man in most media I get get the KKK origin and the masked mugger but not decorated step-father= Spider-Man: Threat or Menace

At a guess, he doesn't like people who can get away with things because everyone loves them.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just hope no one missed out that NAZI MADE OUT OF BEES is an actual character

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_(comics)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Samuringa posted:

I just hope no one missed out that NAZI MADE OUT OF BEES is an actual character

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_(comics)

" Intrigued by their intelligence and passive nature, von Meyer attempted to enslave the queen bee but failed and the bees devoured him, leaving only his skeleton."

Nazis: Even poo poo at beekeeping.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

What the Nazi bee skeleton did was whack. But

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I forget, but is there a Turner D. Century reference?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

Wasn't there a variation where Jonah's wife was killed by a masked mugger as well? That's how I heard it a few years ago.
Yeah, in the 90's cartoon, though it was a mob hitman because JJ got too close with his reporting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIDk_BcU_ek

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jan 3, 2019

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

MrJacobs posted:

how does that translate to "masked men with no accountability is bad"? which has always been at his core for hating spider-man in most media I get get the KKK origin and the masked mugger but not decorated stepfather= Spider-Man: Threat or Menace

It wasn't so much "masked me are bad" it was "nobody's a hero all the time," and so hero worship, whether for the Troops or for Spider-Man, is just a way of giving them cover for whatever selfish or evil motivation everyone secretly has.

I think it's the best Jameson motivation because it gives him a central paradox: it's a virtuous attitude for a journalist to never assume that anyone is above suspicion, but it also reflects Jameson's vices, that he refuses to believe that anyone can be selfless because he's personally a selfish jerk and can't imagine people who are better than him. If Spider-Man is what he seems to be, then he's proof that people can be heroic, and then Jameson has to admit he's just been a selfish jackass instead of a reasonable cynic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Precambrian posted:

It wasn't so much "masked me are bad" it was "nobody's a hero all the time," and so hero worship, whether for the Troops or for Spider-Man, is just a way of giving them cover for whatever selfish or evil motivation everyone secretly has.

I think it's the best Jameson motivation because it gives him a central paradox: it's a virtuous attitude for a journalist to never assume that anyone is above suspicion, but it also reflects Jameson's vices, that he refuses to believe that anyone can be selfless because he's personally a selfish jerk and can't imagine people who are better than him. If Spider-Man is what he seems to be, then he's proof that people can be heroic, and then Jameson has to admit he's just been a selfish jackass instead of a reasonable cynic.

Well, Jameson himself isn’t even really that much of a selfish jackass, in the comics he has a temper but he also put Peter Parker through college and fought for equal rights for mutants and all that. His freak outs are as much a mask for him as Spider man’s is. He’s one of my favorite side characters in comics.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
He might see Spider-Man appearing carefree and fun-loving while performing vigilantism, and think that would be more dangerously seductive than an objectively worse vigilante like the Punisher.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just played this really cool and inventive Indie game made by a Digipen student as a school project, called Perspective. It's got interesting puzzles that are initially based on movement of the character and camera but end up requiring you to understand exactly how the mechanics work by the end on a more fundamental level, like that in camera movement mode the character is incapable of interacting with anything, which means hazards also don't affect him. You need to get tricky knowing that and it's really fun. also the ending has a really funny trippy moment when you realise what's going on.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
jameson was bullied by spiders as a child, giving him a lifelong

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jameson's uncle was shot by a spider in a botched mugging.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's this.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm kinda behind the curve on this one, (so basically I'm pulling a mini-BioEnchanted :v:) but I finally finished season 1 of Life is Strange. Holy poo poo, what a game. I could be gushing about it for a couple of pages, but for now I'll restrain myself to just one fun little bit that stuck with me:

Early on, as part of tutorialising, you repeatedly run into situations where you try to reach something high up, accidentally knock it over, and then use your time rewind to go back and actually use something as a step to reach it easier. Then in episode four, you once again find yourself having to get some chemicals from a high shelf. So you go there, take the option to take them and already prepare yourself for rewinding once again, when the protagonist goes "Oh I already know I'm clumsy and I'm just gonna knock this thing over, I'll just get a step the first time around", and proceeds to do exactly that.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I bought the kid some nudie mags and everything about it was hilarious. probably the funniest side story i've seen in yakuza 0. I like that kiryu writes letters to the radio station and expressively forbids his secretary from reading them

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Mikl posted:

It's this.

those are obviously beetles, not spiders

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

I bought the kid some nudie mags and everything about it was hilarious. probably the funniest side story i've seen in yakuza 0. I like that kiryu writes letters to the radio station and expressively forbids his secretary from reading them

The side content of Yakuza 0 really is stunning. I think the VISA sidequest almost killed me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

The side content of Yakuza 0 really is stunning. I think the VISA sidequest almost killed me.

My favorite is the ending of the password sidestory, because it's just so Kiryu.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

ilmucche posted:

the best part is the kid's title changing from Innocent Lad to Sophisticated Lad.

Also the dominatrix is amazing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like how mixing the various skills can work out in Morrowind. For a bit I played as a punch mage, had all magic skills and hand to hand. I would damage or absorb their stamina to 0 it out, where they will easily get knocked down by my fists. Since unarmed combat's damage is only based on the skill itself and not strength, my noodle armed mage had no problem punching demons and cliff racers. I created a spell called "heh im goku" that fortified my hand to hand skills so I can punch harder.

I'm now playing a thief character who is also a part of the monetary great house. Since in Morrowind it doesn't have the dumb Oblivion and Skyrim system where you cannot sell stolen stuff to anyone who isn't a fence, I used my early funds to bribe all the shopkeeps in Balmora and sell all my ill gotten goods to them, their higher dispositions giving me better prices. With all this wealth I don't bother carrying weapons, I simply enchanted 2 rings to summon a bound sword or a bound bow. No worries for repair costs!

So I'm running around as a thief using my bling to pull out weapons and buff myself up in fights.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You're a person who runs around at night beating people up through the power of money. Technically I think that makes you Batman.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Or Kiryu.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I miss the old systems you could mess around with. I remember I got through most of Oblivion by making a spell that made me invisible for one second. The cost was lower than my regeneration rate, so while I had to spam the button literally every second, doing so would make me permanently invisible.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Retro Futurist posted:

I miss the old systems you could mess around with. I remember I got through most of Oblivion by making a spell that made me invisible for one second. The cost was lower than my regeneration rate, so while I had to spam the button literally every second, doing so would make me permanently invisible.

This is such a huge part of why I consider Oblivion my favorite Bethesda game, because it has just the right balance of 'mechanics complex enough to mess with' and 'a world just realistic enough to feel it'. Morrowind is a lot more complex and has a lot more of that to play with, but it feels so much more special when you're doing it around at least modestly intelligent and interactible NPCs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Retro Futurist posted:

Look at this scrub who didn’t put 20 percent chameleon enchants in five pieces of armor

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The ability to mod out the bits you didn't like or add new functionality is what makes those games so great. The possibility of that disappearing in the future destroys my interest in the series completely. I'd say most of my favourite games have involved community modification, starting with the UT99 map maker which was easy enough to get into at 11 or 12 years old with a few tutorial articles. Same for Half Life. Some of the most popular games today started as mods.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
I'm sure someone must have mentioned this in here already, but in Smash Bros. Ultimate when you play Classic mode with Ryu or Ken (where you go through arranged fights and at the end face a boss) it took me until the green Donkey Kong before I realized that they used Smash characters in different costumes/colors to represent Street Fighter characters (Meta Knight for example is Vega , Zero Suit Samus is Chun Li, Little Mac is Balrog, the aforementioned green Donkey Kong is Blanka etc.) and they play the actual theme of the character. Even the stages they chose bear some resemblance to the original ones. I can't remember the last time I had such a huge smile on my face while playing a game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The final boss of Mega Man’s classic mode is Dr. Mario followed by Mewtwo, mirroring the fight with the fake alien after Dr. Wiley in Megaman 2.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

TheMostFrench posted:

I got This War of Mine in a sale recently, that's a game that really communicates being a victim of war really well. You have your party living in a bombed out house, and each night one of you can go out looting. This is where you come across other survivors, and may have to steal from people. One night a guy saw me going through his things and shot me, I lost all the stuff he was carrying (tools and things for trade) and my party was down by one man. I kept going with them for a few days, but they have to balance sleeping, eating, etc with watching guard for the night (there is a chance you will be raided and be injured/killed/have things stolen). After several nights of struggling with two hungry, tired guys, they start getting depressed and do things more slowly, or get fed up halfway through a job (like picking apart electronics) and lament about how hopeless things are, and how they miss their friend/s who have already been killed. A few more nights and one of my other guys got shot. Trying to do everything with the final guy was tough, I had to sacrifice a whole day so he could rest through illness, so I wasn't able to make anything that could be traded. While he was out getting medical supplies that night all the food got stolen. After a while the situation feels really hopeless, and I haven't been able to play to a point where everyone dies.

I really like the mechanic they included to dissuade against playing as a standard videogame psychopath.

With some exceptions, every person you kill will take a serious toll on the mental health of your characters. You'll often have to make some hard choices about killing and looting people in order to save your house. Doing so makes your characters severely depressed and even suicidal.

It gives a lot more weight to its morality system than something like Fallout or Mass Effect, where the consequences of being an rear end in a top hat are more arbitrary.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

The final boss of Mega Man’s classic mode is Dr. Mario followed by Mewtwo, mirroring the fight with the fake alien after Dr. Wiley in Megaman 2.

Wolf’s Classic mode is all returning characters. That is, characters who were in Melee but not Brawl or 4 and characters who were in Brawl but not 4. The final boss of Wolf’s classic mode is Galleom, who was introduced in Brawl but did not appear in 4.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think you can get characters with a psychopath trait that means they kill without feeling - but the other survivors feel increasingly nervous around them.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Look at this scrub who didn’t put 20 percent chameleon enchants in five pieces of armor

15% on 5 armor and 2 rings means you don’t need grand souls, so you can do it earlier without needing black soul gems.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TheMostFrench posted:

The ability to mod out the bits you didn't like or add new functionality is what makes those games so great. The possibility of that disappearing in the future destroys my interest in the series completely. I'd say most of my favourite games have involved community modification, starting with the UT99 map maker which was easy enough to get into at 11 or 12 years old with a few tutorial articles. Same for Half Life. Some of the most popular games today started as mods.

Bethesda will never take out the ability to mod their games, otherwise how would the community make their games playable?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So in Morrowind I'm now refining my bling merchant by putting in a mod that lets me bring any NPCs who like me as a follower. I use my vast wealth to bribe people into liking me, thus "hiring" them, and give them souped up equipment while I sit back and use my bling to sling spells at my enemies. Whats crazy is that transportation services actually account for followers and increases the prices of transportation accordingly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Biplane posted:

Bethesda will never take out the ability to mod their games

Fallout 76 is not moddable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Boy they really don't know why people play their games huh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Lone Badger posted:

Not quite true - People broke the game clean over their knee within five minutes of playing the B.E.T.A. and modded it because it's mostly Fallout 4 with lovely netcode slapped on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite true - People broke the game clean over their knee within five minutes of playing the B.E.T.A. and modded it because it's mostly Fallout 4 with lovely netcode slapped on the side.

Then they banned them IIRC?