Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

10 second walk into home office after breakfast, shower and taking care of pets.

Work in sweats and T-shirts.

It's very nice

And that's the winter wardrobe. Summertime, if I happen to be certain my kid won't be around, it's sometimes just underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I left a 100% WFH but fairly stressful job for a 25k raise to a laid back 100% office job with a 10 minute commute and in retrospect the extra money is only marginally worth it. It's really hard to put a number on the quality of life that WFH offers if you are able to swing it, but it's a big number regardless once you figure in things like not needing the car/insurance/gas/wasting away in a cubicle/etc.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 29, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
You're capable of wasting away in a home office too unfortunately.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We're all wasting away from the moment we're born.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’d prefer to waste away in my underwear than office attire.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I really don't want to hear about waste in your underwear, thank you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Bunch of prudes in this thread.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I actually enjoy the social aspect of working in an office. Crazy I know.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I lived a 20 minute walk from the office I wouldn't be fussed about working from home at all

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I get so much less work done in an office. I calculated like 30-40% less because people were always asking me questions and interrupting my poo poo.

Now I can just turn off slack and blast through projects by ignoring everyone.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

spankmeister posted:

I actually enjoy the social aspect of working in an office. Crazy I know.

Ban this sick filth

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I work from home when the weather makes driving in difficult (snow), and I kind of hate it. I think if I had an actual home office I could work from (with a hard phone instead of a poo poo VoIP app and a door I could shut) itd be better. As it is my PC at home is sort of in the living room because this place we're renting doesn't really have the space for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sheep posted:

I left a 100% WFH but fairly stressful job for a 25k raise to a laid back 100% office job with a 10 minute commute and in retrospect the extra money is only marginally worth it. It's really hard to put a number on the quality of life that WFH offers if you are able to swing it, but it's a big number regardless once you figure in things like not needing the car/insurance/gas/wasting away in a cubicle/etc.

Also not needing to go out to eat because you forget your lunch 90% of the time like me.

I would still end up having two cars between the two of us, but I’d be spending a fraction of the money on gas and I might be able to get cheaper insurance by virtue of not driving nearly as many miles. I’m also going to be driving a real beater as soon as I get it inspected and retired, so dropping down to a couple hundred miles a month rather than five-six hundred would be good for its longevity.

I feel like some posters in bigger cities / different countries underestimate the necessity of having a car in a lot of the US.

I would definitely still be wearing real clothes, though. Putting on jeans or khakis is part of my self-care for the day. PJ pants or sweats leave me feeling like a lazy poo poo.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm mostly WfH and still won't properly start the day until I've showered and have jeans on. That said, I will occasionally take a work call first thing.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stable paycheck, relatively low-stress job without much responsibility, and a life that's probably focused outside of work.

While you are correct, it doesn’t apply in this case. The guy was passed over for a promotion and immediately went gently caress it. The change in his quality of work was immediate.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Save the planet, wear less clothes

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

Save the planet, wear less clothes

Save the pedants, wear fewer clothes

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Farking Bastage posted:

While you are correct, it doesn’t apply in this case. The guy was passed over for a promotion and immediately went gently caress it. The change in his quality of work was immediate.

Funny how that works :v:

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Live 20 minutes from work with the bicycle. Not complaining.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Working from home, week 2, thanks to broken ankle. Not commuting is nice. Having to deal with my rugrats underfoot (even with grandma around to help corral them) sucks. At least it's quiet at work aside from the new weird political struggle going on.

TL;DR version of power struggle: my boss is not technically my listed supervisor. Boss has been feeding me a combo line of "We're too busy as a team to work on projects that you actually want to work on" and "OK maybe you're twiddling your thumbs but just keep doing that until I come up with something else you won't want to do." My actual supervisor who is typically a distant VP just gave me a really nice project and said, "If your 'boss' tries to tell you not to work on this, ask her to take it up with me because you don't actually report to her." I guess this is good?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Save the pedants, wear fewer clothes
I love you, Jaded Burnout.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
My first two jobs I worked in a pseudo-cube farm (low walls at desk, but no one was crammed in and foot/conference traffic was minimal) and a straight up govt cube farm and for the most part never really felt the need to WFH. I always felt more stressed out by the fact that I was goofing off and not accomplishing anything in those times I did WFH then I did actually working in the office.

My current job though is full blown open office, with folks crammed in like sardines with not even a cork board to separate the desks. I WFH at least once a week just to get poo poo done and take a little breather from the chaos my office is. I still like this job more than the previous two, but I feel a lot more anxiety and stress in the office than I did before. Part of that might be a co-worker on my team who is a great dev and a decent person, but was also loud and prone to starting bullshit conversations about nothing with anyone in earshot. Or worse, just sticking their nose into any conversation happening that they happened to hear.

Not having a commute is always a nice QoL bump for the day though, plus being able to run errands, make lunch from my fridge (since I always forget) or just dink around on my PC at lunch.

I think my ideal job would involve having a personal office that I walk to everyday (maybe shared with one or two other people) open my email & slack, crank out tickets for 6 hours, and then walk home.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"<Location> is experiencing high lag when executing normal operations, can someone take a look at the infrastructure to see if there is any issues.

I personally notice the lag on Aos1 and Aos2 servers."

No, there's no problem with the servers.
No, there's no problem with the storage.
No, there's no problem with the network.

There's never been a problem with the servers, storage or network. Maybe it's your monolithic, poorly programmed piece of poo poo ERP system.

But please, open another loving ticket asking if it's the network or servers again.

please.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
A ticket came in for a known VPN issue with a select few devices. It sucks, but the fix is to go in to the nearest office to get on the network so SCCM can sort poo poo out. Dude says he's an hour away from the nearest office and decides marking the ticket high priority will somehow make us fix it without him having to go in.

Sure thing friend. I'll get right on that.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

A ticket came in for a known VPN issue with a select few devices. It sucks, but the fix is to go in to the nearest office to get on the network so SCCM can sort poo poo out. Dude says he's an hour away from the nearest office and decides marking the ticket high priority will somehow make us fix it without him having to go in.

Sure thing friend. I'll get right on that.

Just run a network cable to his house, what's the big deal?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I dunno, if I'm that guy I'm not driving two hours over broken company equipment unless it's on the clock.

This assumes he's doing WFH or otherwise has a reason to be an hour from any office, if he's just camping and expects his poo poo to work then lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Javid posted:

I dunno, if I'm that guy I'm not driving two hours over broken company equipment unless it's on the clock.

This assumes he's doing WFH or otherwise has a reason to be an hour from any office, if he's just camping and expects his poo poo to work then lol

Cross ship a working laptop. My company does this all the time.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
His drive into the nearest office is 100% on company time. I would offer to trade devices but he wants it working 5 minutes ago and not tomorrow.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Didn’t check my emails for twelve days while out on vacation. Showed up this morning to expired licenses. :suicide:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
Thread title checks out

Edit: mods please do the needful
Edit2: no actually it's funnier that they've been expired for a year now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ElehemEare posted:

Didn’t check my emails for twelve days while out on vacation. Showed up this morning to expired licenses. :suicide:

Are they solely your responsibility?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We did a good thing and updated a bunch of SSL certs before they expired! YAY

except the person making the change didn't swap to actually USE that cert in the config on a bunch of our firewalls so people couldn't access VPN and other poo poo; easy fix but man.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
*checks cert expiry dates*

phew

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

No reason to update the thread title, unless it really triggers someone...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Getting it updated requires a ticket to be filed. I'm a busy person, I don't have time to fill out tickets

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iospace posted:

Getting it updated requires a ticket to be filed. I'm a busy person, I don't have time to fill out tickets
Aka. :effort:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I still need you to fix my problem though

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iospace posted:

I still need you to fix my problem though
I have received no ticket. Maybe you should check your network settings?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

DigitalMocking posted:

A ticket came in:

"<Location> is experiencing high lag when executing normal operations, can someone take a look at the infrastructure to see if there is any issues.

I personally notice the lag on Aos1 and Aos2 servers."

No, there's no problem with the servers.
No, there's no problem with the storage.
No, there's no problem with the network.

There's never been a problem with the servers, storage or network. Maybe it's your monolithic, poorly programmed piece of poo poo ERP system.

But please, open another loving ticket asking if it's the network or servers again.

please.

It’s DNS

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Agrikk posted:

It’s DNS

There's no way it-

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have received no ticket. Maybe you should check your network settings?

Here is my ticket

code:
Need root access to prod

Priority: maximum

I need root access to prod to do testing.  Thanks!