Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

I remember it happening at least twice before Resolution (the woman racer in The Ghost Monument had a dead wife and the one lady working with Robertson in Arachnids who got killed by spiders was his niece's wife) but that random gay security guard getting it not 20 seconds later was a bit much.

Like, the character literally introduces himself, says he has a boyfriend, remarks in character about how it's a little weird that he's just stating that apropos of nothing, and then there's a smash cut to his severed arm. I don't think it's malicious or anything, and as others have said, the body count is particularly high this season, but that scene is going to be in some analysis videos as the dictionary definition of the trope. It was very clumsily handled.

Jerusalem posted:

I thought the "We'll have to have a conversation! :gonk:" scene was funny, but it was also incredibly redundant considering the far superior,"What a monster..." joke immediately preceded it.

Yeah, the previous joke is better and feels a little less "those millenials and their screens, get out and have a real interaction, live." And the original one-liner joke didn't really need a follow-up.

I think the actor playing Ryan's dad did a great job of portraying someone who is emotionally overwhelmed by... just about everything. His movements and speech really make him feel like someone who lives with such constant anxiety that he's managed to bury the full panic under the surface. That he's so afraid of hurting and letting people down that he retreats from them and ends up doing exactly what he was afraid he would do is an identifiable character trait. The way he mostly just endures the fairly harsh criticism from the team with nothing but a kind of resigned mopyness is great. I don't feel like he actually redeemed himself (he's shown up once, was helpful, and made himself available to Ryan when for when he comes back, it's hardly father of the year), but he's started to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I think the actor playing Ryan's dad did a great job of portraying someone who is emotionally overwhelmed by... just about everything. His movements and speech really make him feel like someone who lives with such constant anxiety that he's managed to bury the full panic under the surface. That he's so afraid of hurting and letting people down that he retreats from them and ends up doing exactly what he was afraid he would do is an identifiable character trait. The way he mostly just endures the fairly harsh criticism from the team with nothing but a kind of resigned mopyness is great. I don't feel like he actually redeemed himself (he's shown up once, was helpful, and made himself available to Ryan when for when he comes back, it's hardly father of the year), but he's started to.

I think the point where I really started enjoying the performance was when he was all "oh poo poo I sound like a grifter don't I" when he was talking about that ridiculous super-microwave oven he was trying to hawk.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

docbeard posted:

I think the point where I really started enjoying the performance was when he was all "oh poo poo I sound like a grifter don't I" when he was talking about that ridiculous super-microwave oven he was trying to hawk.

I'm really confused by how he kept pushing that microwave/oven as something revolutionary. I have one of those in my kitchen, it has a grill in it as well, it was less than a hundred quid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I was worried at first that he was trying some kind of pyramid scheme, and it was going to turn out he was a sort of a Pete Tyler sort, but that it's actually a thing that he helped design and really believes in makes it totally different. He's kind of sheepishly trying to hawk them because he thinks he made something cool, and only just realizing he's going to spend the whole time sounding like he's selling CutCo knives (and already thinking of quitting). Chibnall's writing for characters almost makes up for his third act issues. Maybe with the time they're taking between seasons, they can polish up the writing a little.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

I'm really confused by how he kept pushing that microwave/oven as something revolutionary. I have one of those in my kitchen, it has a grill in it as well, it was less than a hundred quid.

*sadly, ready to give up*

But this one is the best microwave/oven. It just... It's really the best designed, just a feat of engineering! I'm not just saying that, I use it myself, and.... I... it's... :smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Bicyclops posted:

*sadly, ready to give up*

But this one is the best microwave/oven. It just... It's really the best designed, just a feat of engineering! I'm not just saying that, I use it myself, and.... I... it's... :smith:

Bless him, he really WAS trying, wasn't he?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And of course the New Year's special was called "Resolution"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Davros1 posted:

And of course the New Year's special was called "Resolution"

Yeah, I only got that yesterday.

(I've got a cold, brain not work)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I also really appreciated that they let him in on the whole Doctor and TARDIS thing. It would be impossible for him to build any kind of relationship with Ryan without knowing about it but I could see the show having the secret be a plot point for a while, and I'm glad they got it out of the way so he can be honest about his life to his dad.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Organza Quiz posted:

I also really appreciated that they let him in on the whole Doctor and TARDIS thing. It would be impossible for him to build any kind of relationship with Ryan without knowing about it but I could see the show having the secret be a plot point for a while, and I'm glad they got it out of the way so he can be honest about his life to his dad.

I want him to be a companion, and to keep trying to sell his microwave to various aliens.

"WE MUST SURVIVE"

"But is it really survival if you don't have a decent way of cooking your...look, sorry, that was a really rubbish pitch but it really is a very good-"

"WE MUST SURVIVE"

"-combination device, I use it myself, and-"

"WE MUST...FINE WE WILL TAKE THREE OF THEM."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
RESOLUTION OF THE DALEKS

GOD DAMMIT

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

RESOLUTION OF THE DALEKS

GOD DAMMIT

Turns out?

It was "Exterminate"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

I want him to be a companion, and to keep trying to sell his microwave to various aliens.

"WE MUST SURVIVE"

"But is it really survival if you don't have a decent way of cooking your...look, sorry, that was a really rubbish pitch but it really is a very good-"

"WE MUST SURVIVE"

"-combination device, I use it myself, and-"

"WE MUST...FINE WE WILL TAKE THREE OF THEM."

"YOU WILL BE PURGED OF EMOTION. YOU WILL BE UPGRADED."

"You know what could use an upgrade, is your oven and/or microwave. Please. Please."

"... WE WILL BE UNABLE TO PURGE YOUR SADNESS. PLEASE GO AWAY. YOU HAVE REALLY LET US DOWN. YOU JUST HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH."

"Oh, not again!" :smith:

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
I was hoping the Dalek was heading over to a Dr. Who museum to steal a prop Dalek travel machine.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I was hoping the Dalek was heading over to a Dr. Who museum to steal a prop Dalek travel machine.

They missed an opportunity to have it hiding in a William Hartnell wax statue.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

RESOLUTION OF THE DALEKS

GOD DAMMIT

RESOLUTION

OF THE DALEKS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

"... WE WILL BE UNABLE TO PURGE YOUR SADNESS. PLEASE GO AWAY. YOU HAVE REALLY LET US DOWN. YOU JUST HAVE NOT BEEN GOOD ENOUGH."

"Oh, not again!" :smith:

Oh my God :xd:

But yes, count me in as pleasantly surprised about how they handled Ryan's dad. Sure he's made terrible mistakes but you can see that he's a self-sabotaging guy with real self-esteem issues and a fear of confrontation and it makes him pretty understandable. Though it doesn't forgive or excuse how he left Ryan high and dry all these years, he's certainly nowhere near the worst dad of the year stakes compared to, say, Erik from It Takes You Away.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2019

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Oh my God :xd:

But yes, count me in as pleasantly surprised about how they handled Ryan's dad. Sure he's made terrible mistakes but you can see that he's a self-sabotaging guy with real self-esteem issues and a fear of confrontation and it makes him pretty understandable. Though it doesn't forgive or excuse how he left Ryan high and dry all these years, he's certainly nowhere near the worst dad of the year stakes compared to, say, Erik from It Takes You Away.

It's kind of nice to have that subtlety without the show demanding that we let him off the hook. It would have been easy to play his sad sack routine for all our sympathy and make Ryan out to be the one who needs to get over it, or for him to be some hopeless grifter that deserves all of the scorn he gets. As it is, none of the characters make it easy for him, but they do try to work with him, as long as he can accept that he has to do it on their terms and that he's going to hear some hard truths about himself. So many of these situations on other shows are played with all of the other characters saying "Oh, come on, give him a chance!" so I was glad Team TARDIS had Ryan's back.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think being an occasional guest-companion might do Ryan's dad a lot of good with their relationship, because it will give them time together while distracting them from the baggage involved, so they'll have more time to be more genuine. Both of them will see that Ryan's Dad can go the distance in some ways, which could give the dad some confidence and help with the self-esteem issues a bit.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

I think being an occasional guest-companion might do Ryan's dad a lot of good with their relationship, because it will give them time together while distracting them from the baggage involved, so they'll have more time to be more genuine. Both of them will see that Ryan's Dad can go the distance in some ways, which could give the dad some confidence and help with the self-esteem issues a bit.

Plus, by the time the next season airs, Ryan's dad will be a great grandfather, so he'll have had some new chances to be there for someone young.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Google keeps recommending poo poo like this to me in an apparent attempt to get me to hyperventilate to death https://www.vulture.com/article/best-doctor-who-christmas-specials-ranked.html

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Resolution gifs:

Hey Graham, there won't be any new Doctor Who till 2020!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Anyone else think why didn't the sewer builders notice there was a skeleton when they were laying the floor?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You could report a skeleton, but then you'd have to stop work, and there'd be officials coming around to visit, and inspections, and who wants all of that? Better just, you know, ignore the thing.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I see skeletons all the time, big woop.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
I love the new vortex effect because I imagine every light wizzing by as a single event in time they can fall into at any moment.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

SimplyCosmic posted:

I love the new vortex effect because I imagine every light wizzing by as a single event in time they can fall into at any moment.

It feels really violent to me the way it's all moving. It's almost kind of unsettling.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Harlock posted:

It feels really violent to me the way it's all moving. It's almost kind of unsettling.

Do you think it might... make you go mad?

da-da-da-dun
da-da-da-dun
da-da-da-dun
da-da-da-dun

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Also, Twitch are doing another Classic Who marathon from Jan 5th!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
This is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU94xJteCdk

rvm
May 6, 2013

Just this once... everybody dies!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
As perfect as the Daleks as a design and a fascist/ethnosupremacist allegory are, I do occasionally wonder what it's like for a Dalek on Skaro. Like... there's no non-Daleks to exterminate, so what do they do? Are there Dalek chat shows? Dalek shopkeepers?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From Lance Parkin:

quote:

The Daleks’ Master Plan (1965/6) was a story set in the future where a politician became the most powerful man on Earth. He had a weird skin tone and fake-looking hair, and surrounded himself with bald cronies. He was secretly colluding with the Daleks and had come to a wide ranging ‘grand bargain’ with various foreign powers.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

As perfect as the Daleks as a design and a fascist/ethnosupremacist allegory are, I do occasionally wonder what it's like for a Dalek on Skaro. Like... there's no non-Daleks to exterminate, so what do they do? Are there Dalek chat shows? Dalek shopkeepers?

Develop plans and devise ways to exterminate those who aren't on Skaro.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

An alien named Sylvester McMonkey McBean lands on the planet every couple hundred years and offers some Daleks more superiority by painting them a different color for the low price of 20 credits each, resulting in a Dalek class war that lasts until his next visit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Develop plans and devise ways to exterminate those who aren't on Skaro.

Look, I just want to imagine Dalek Trevor Noah mocking the Supreme Dalek on the Skaro Daily Show.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Look, I just want to imagine Dalek Trevor Noah mocking the Supreme Dalek on the Skaro Daily Show.

I do like to imagine that when they get bored, they decide to go find Davros wherever he's hiding just to bully him.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

DAVROS-HAS-CONSISTENTLY-REAPED-A-MASSIVE-SHARE-OF-ALL-SKARO-RESOURCES
BUT-THE-FIRST-BLACK-DALEK-IS-NOT-PERMITTED-TO-DO-SO?
EXTERMINATE-THAT-AND-EXTERMINATE-YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dalek comic: GREETINGS, EVENING ESTABLISHMENT. HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT IN OTHER SPECIES, THE MALES WALK LIKE THIS: *slides back and forth a little* WHILE THE FEMALES WALK LIKE THIS: *glides a little more slowly*

Dalek heckler: THEY ALL WALK THE SAME INFERIOR WAY! YOUR MATERIAL IS A LIE! YOU WILL BE EXTERMINATED! EXTERMINATED!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The most successful Dalek comic is a prop comic who just throws dolls of Thal children up in the air and yells "EXTERMINATE!" while he shoots them.