Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

2019 already better than 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

quote:

Surprised to see this here? Bet you were expecting us to take a break until the final tankobon was released, after meeting our initial goal of catching up to the releases by New Year’s. Well, honestly, that was our plan, too, assuming that volume 27 would be released in mid-December or mid-January. But we couldn’t put you guys through a month-and-a-half-long cliffhanger, not to mention that this would put us far behind for the sequel, or even risk some other group finishing it off with sub-par raws/translations/typesetting while we took some time off. So we had our redrawer/martyr Fog procure some quality raws (which we’d need for the sequel anyway), and we’re going to release the final seven chapters over the next week, same pace as before, only this time we’re going to give each one their own post, to give them the attention they deserve. Then in February, we’ll translate the extra content from the volume and put out a volume release and replace the chapters on Mangadex with that extra content (and if you’re reading this from anywhere but our site or Mangadex, that sounds like your problem gently caress you). So get ready to get hyped, cry, and just be blown out of your seats by the finale of this amazing manga. Regular releases will return next week, don’t you worry! Kazu still needs a bit of time to get his sea legs back, but we’re prepping some new stuff and the return of the old stuff this year.

Hokuto No Gun is a good group.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RatHat posted:

Hokuto No Gun is a good group.

Blessed. Also lol @ the jab at the Wild Fang Project

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Saw Paing in full on disbelief and observation on the first page is aces

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
omg the final page

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/512317

Ohma has so many loving death flags

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is anyone looking forward to his ultimate technique in the sequel being combining the advance with that ultimate niko technique setsuna used?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
You can't perform ultimate techniques when you're dead, though.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

The Lord of Hats posted:

You can't perform ultimate techniques when you're dead, though.

perhaps doing so is the true ultimate technique

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Castle Kuroki hasn't left his feet even once in the entire tournament, right? Dude is terrifying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Setsuna made him do a flip i think. lol that apparently Niko was able to perfectly mis-align ohma's spine perfectly to weaken him somehow and setsuna knew enough to somehow fix it without a simple tap on the chest

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tonfa posted:

Castle Kuroki hasn't left his feet even once in the entire tournament, right? Dude is terrifying.

I think Setsuna flipped him once.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, chill Ohma is really the best. "I figured this out a few minutes ago, I'm sure it'll be fine. Probably." :allears:

The fact that it's not a mid-match revelation is important, though. Kuroki has proved that he's completely immune to such shenanigans. That few minutes of lead time could win Ohma the match!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ohma's been real wasteful with his flashbacks so far, he even used one up on something that happened a few minutes ago. Gensai's got this in the bag

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Adamantine Kata Ultimate technique - "Bone Binding": Being able to puppet your broken limbs through sheer muscle control. Essentially formless since it can be applied to any part of the body and is only a form of movement.

Water Kata Ultimate Technique - "Mirror of Water: Formless choke move that uses any part of the opponents body to incapacitate them in addition to any limb you have available.

Niko-style Ultimate Combined Technique: Perfect counter that has no set form and redirects the opponents power back at them while adding your own.

I'm not going to say none of these are illogical or that the story hadn't built them up. But christ the Niko style is bullshit. the biggest swiss army knife of skills every
To finish this off

Flame Kata Ultimate Technique - "Earth Shrinking": Footwork based on shifting your center of gravity rather than muscle mobility.

Redirection Kata Ultimate Technique - "Marionette": Utilizes and amplifies the bodies internal power to allow for movement through minimum strength.

Looking at it all together, the Niko Ultimate techniques seem geared towards the user being heavily injured or partially incapacitated. Not saying you couldn't be healthy and still get use out of them but things like Bone Binding could only be used if you suffer any serious injury and Marionette wouldn't make sense to use if you only were engaging in a single encounter where going all out wouldn't bit you immediately afterwards.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Niko style fits very well with the idea of it being specifically designed for use in a persistently dangerous environment while under duress, like "the inside".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brought To You By posted:

To finish this off

Flame Kata Ultimate Technique - "Earth Shrinking": Footwork based on shifting your center of gravity rather than muscle mobility.

Redirection Kata Ultimate Technique - "Marionette": Utilizes and amplifies the bodies internal power to allow for movement through minimum strength.

Looking at it all together, the Niko Ultimate techniques seem geared towards the user being heavily injured or partially incapacitated. Not saying you couldn't be healthy and still get use out of them but things like Bone Binding could only be used if you suffer any serious injury and Marionette wouldn't make sense to use if you only were engaging in a single encounter where going all out wouldn't bit you immediately afterwards.

It makes sense considering the plan its creator had, which was just continuous fighting to unify a warzone. Techniques that make you more durable and don't rely on having a certain limb usable are probably very useful when you're not gonna be fighting in a tournament setting.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
They're "ultimate" as in last resort techniques rather than trump card moves.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dias posted:

It makes sense considering the plan its creator had, which was just continuous fighting to unify a warzone. Techniques that make you more durable and don't rely on having a certain limb usable are probably very useful when you're not gonna be fighting in a tournament setting.

Zerilan posted:

They're "ultimate" as in last resort techniques rather than trump card moves.

for magical manga techniques this is p cool imo rather than being actual supermoves

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
gently caress yes dude. Chill Ohma + Advance is the sickest poo poo and I can't wait for tomorrow

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I never expected to like Gensai as much as I did but he's incredibly appealing to me. I guess I just really like no-nonsense characters who hone their skills to superhuman perfection.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fantastic Flyer posted:

I never expected to like Gensai as much as I did but he's incredibly appealing to me. I guess I just really like no-nonsense characters who hone their skills to superhuman perfection.

In a series full of people with limit breaks, super-mode transformations, and freakish physiques, Gensai's gimmick is just "really, really good at karate". It's refreshing in how down-to-earth it is.

Also, the fact that Gensai is a tsundere about being a teacher (to Rihito and Rei), and that despite being a stoic loner type he still has many friends (the soldier on the American base who shot at him, Lemmy, Tokita Niko, Taira Genzan, the priests at the monastery where he trained), helps to humanise him.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 4, 2019

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
This is the first fight/shounen manga that has me doubting if the main protag is going to win. That's crazy.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Either he wins and immediately dies or dies immediately before winning

Or maybe Gensai owns him (but he still dies), that'd be pretty crazy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The craziest would be if he doesn't die at all, probably

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

El Burbo posted:

The craziest would be if he doesn't die at all, probably

WRONG The craziest turn around would be if Gensai were to Devil Lance the death right of out him and then kick his rear end.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ohma remembers the ultimate ultimate technique of the Niko style that reverses the negative effects of the advance and grants him the strength and skill of ten Kurokis

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!

tweet my meat posted:

Ohma remembers the ultimate ultimate technique of the Niko style that reverses the negative effects of the advance and grants him the strength and skill of ten Kurokis

Kuroki then punches him in the face, saying "None of that poo poo"

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

gensai destroys ohmas heart, which is what was killing him in the first place so he comes back to life at full hp

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

confirmation of what some predicted

https://mangadex.org/chapter/513011/1

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Jose posted:

confirmation of what some predicted

https://mangadex.org/chapter/513011/1

i was right he can devils lance with his foot

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think I saw an error in the translation. At one point Gensai used his left elbow, not the right one.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They also said he dislocated his shoulder when it was pretty clearly his elbow

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

What can you say, the man's made out of elbows

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm catching up on the last couple weeks of this and I loving LOVE how the fight between Kanoh and uh devil Lance guy is an actual back and forth

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Goodness this fight is a lot more one sided than I thought it would be. Ohma is spent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

El Burbo posted:

Goodness this fight is a lot more one sided than I thought it would be. Ohma is spent

Yeah as impressive as Gensai's win against Agito is he had a far easier set of opponents the rest of the time to get to the final compared to Ohma who faced 2 of the 3 biggest physical freaks in the tournament and also had to fight Setsuna on top of that