Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i would like the top honorable mention to be converted into a full MOTY with all the same perks and security clearance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think the problem with increasing the number of nominations needed is that the list will end up being exclusively WWE/NJPW matches

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I think the problem with increasing the number of nominations needed is that the list will end up being exclusively WWE/NJPW matches

Yeah, that's a good point. If I could give everyone the free time to watch every HM nominated, I would, but without that, the only chance small promotions have to make the list, especially if they don't have day and date VOD or streaming services, is that threshold.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

And I kinda feel like most of the NJPW matches that made the list crossed the 7 threshold easily?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I've been futilely shouting Dragon Gate matches into the void all year with zero feedback, so it's not like making it even harder for a match to get on the list will realistically affect me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I barely have time to watch NJPW as is, I wish I could watch DG

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I can see the concern about smaller promotions not being able to hit the threshold, but we did have over 100 entries over 2018 in the MOTYC list and I think bringing that down a bit would be helpful.

Howabout adjusting the threshold but having a second post after the OP where I list the current nominations (pre-crossing the threshold) and their vote numbers so people can see which matches are close and how many votes they need? That might also encourage more discussion/“campaigning” in the thread - I could allow something like a month for a match to get discussed, seen, voted on etc before removing it from the list or (if it has the numbers) put it on the HM list?

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I feel that a 3 tier system works well. when browsing the lariato spreadsheet I tended to watch the High Reccomend's/MOTYC first and then if I took a shine to a wrestler then I followed their reccomended/worth a watch matches on the list.

So we could go Recommended/HM/MOTYC, Though I would understand if you didn't want to add any additional work for yourself.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I think the HM category should just be the category that exists for matches nominated but only get between 3 and 6 MOTY votes, instead of it being a separate process. This thread has enough active posters, especially with varying tastes and watch histories, that 7 shouldn't be too hard to break for exceptional matches.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bring back HMOTY

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
If you want change things while keeping smaller promotions relevant, you could always do weighted voting for the bigger promotions. Everyone's watching Wrestlemania and Wrestle Kingdom so you can require 7+ votes for those shows, 5 for like a Raw or G1 Climax match and maybe just 3 for promotions like DDT and Dragon Gate which are more niche.

It wouldn't be a perfect system, but for my money I'd rather watch a match that is hyped by a large percentage of the few that have seen it, rather than one that just manages to get 4 votes out of like 30 potential voters.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MOTYC - Great Space War 2018 6 vs 5 Handicap Tag Match - Michinoku Pro Wrestling - 12-21-18

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The higher threshold means the list will be even more inundated with every above average Fed match.

Dimebags Brain posted:

I've been futilely shouting Dragon Gate matches into the void all year with zero feedback, so it's not like making it even harder for a match to get on the list will realistically affect me.

I just want you to know your DG recommendations mean the world to me, I've seen some very wonderful matches over the years with your help.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I appreciate the Dragon Gate recommendations and when I do get a chance to watch some I usually enjoy them, it's just that there is SO MUCH WRESTLING nowadays :stare:

Evil Badman posted:

I think the HM category should just be the category that exists for matches nominated but only get between 3 and 6 MOTY votes, instead of it being a separate process. This thread has enough active posters, especially with varying tastes and watch histories, that 7 shouldn't be too hard to break for exceptional matches.

I quite like this idea: keeping an HM list but only populating it with matches that don't quite make the MOTY threshold, and making nominations only for MOTYC and WMOTYC. The thread can also be a catchall recommendation thread where people point out matches they dug or really enjoyed with no other intention other than wanting people to be aware of them and maybe watch them when they get a chance (which also frees up some recommendations for pre-2019 matches).

My only concern is keeping it from getting too complicated. The system as it currently exists actually works pretty well, but the density of great wrestling has just increased to the point that actually maintaining the list is becoming a bit burdensome. In a worst case scenario, I'll just go with a slightly modified version of what we already have, but I wouldn't mind a little experimentation.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Dimebags Brain posted:

I try and watch them!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe a two-tier system for MOTYs? 7 votes for the big groups like WWE and NJPW, 4 for your Dragon Gates and MLWs?

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

We need more categories, not less. I want HMWMOTY

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

NienNunb posted:

:hmmyes:

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

NienNunb posted:

:agreed:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The most logical way to do it is when a match is nominated everyone else on the forum who saw the match must rate it.

If the rating is above ****1/2, it becomes a MOTYC. If the average rating is between **** and ****1/2 it is a HMOTYC.

If the average rating falls below ***1/2 the person nominating it is probated. If it is below *** they are banned.

However if someone who rates the match is proven to not have seen the match but is attempting to get the nominating party punished, they must be banned.

If they saw the match and rate it more than *** lower than the average rating they will be probated for attempting to have the nominating party punished.

For WMOTYC the line starts at DUD. If the match is th

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

MassRafTer posted:

The most logical way to do it is when a match is nominated everyone else on the forum who saw the match must rate it.

If the rating is above ****1/2, it becomes a MOTYC. If the average rating is between **** and ****1/2 it is a HMOTYC.

If the average rating falls below ***1/2 the person nominating it is probated. If it is below *** they are banned.

However if someone who rates the match is proven to not have seen the match but is attempting to get the nominating party punished, they must be banned.

If they saw the match and rate it more than *** lower than the average rating they will be probated for attempting to have the nominating party punished.

Please send all ratings in the mail to Jerusalem. Include cut outs of the appropriate number of stars. If it's winter send paper snowflakes.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MassRafTer posted:

It should be class action rules where everyone on the whole forum who sees the match, including people who do not lost in this sub-forum, need to be found and polled by the matches proponents.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

either keep the system as it is, or do all of this

MassRafTer posted:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Or how about we just do a "recommendations" thread since Cagematch lists 95% of the cool matches that happen anyway

https://www.cagematch.net//?id=111&view=list

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Jenkem Delivery posted:

MOTYC - Great Space War 2018 6 vs 5 Handicap Tag Match - Michinoku Pro Wrestling - 12-21-18

2nd. Hell yeah

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Venomous posted:

Before the thread closes for the new year, I want to give this another mention since Disco just released the match online:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZndfiojDkhI

Didn't translate to tape for me. But still a hot match. Would have marked out live for everything for sure.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jenkem Delivery posted:

3rd

Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

4th. Sasuke finally kinda sorta connected on the barrel dive. This is the Charlie Brown kicking the football of pro wrestling.

For what it's worth, I rely on this thread for lucha recommendations so by all means keep at it. I generally watch every Dragon Gate tag/trios match, since those are basically always great (and most Dream Gate matches become pretty great too, I guess), so recommendations beyond those are welcome.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Added it to the MOTYC list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

But what if someone gets thrown out of the ring into the electric panel?