Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t think this is something inherent to the Japanese people themselves, it’s just nearly impossible for an entire society to break out of a mindset it’s had for centuries, especially when it’s ruled by right wing oligarchs

that still doesn’t make me feel comfortable being there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

also japan is super loving doomed demographically, nothing goes in, nothing comes out

it’s gonna cloister itself until it’s a ghost town

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i feel bad for all the Japanese queer people, not that the US is much better

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

yeah i don’t think there’s anything wrong with japanese people, it’s just the traditions that they have. now they can’t really put the cat in the box either because a lot have been out of japan and seen the world and how it can be different. of course the main argument is that why should japan change to be like the other countries when there’s all this terrorism and lovely quality of life? why not be safe in tradition and never change anything - let the people who do not fit in suffer for the well-being of the majority?

i don’t think a society with unchanging traditions will develop in any meaningful way though - the last 300 years of isolation did not end up with any remarkable breakthroughs, maybe with the exception of figuring out how to best smell incense and make tea

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

also japan is super loving doomed demographically, nothing goes in, nothing comes out

it’s gonna cloister itself until it’s a ghost town

nah the ruling class is going to have to import a lot of workers because japanese boomers are no different than us boomers probably :)

it’s great though that the biggest problem the Japanese government has right now is how to change the constitution to more easily go to war

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

when you work remote they cant even see your shoes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Skim Milk posted:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

https://youtu.be/M83-stGDR6E

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Skim Milk posted:

lol

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Penisface posted:

nah the ruling class is going to have to import a lot of workers because japanese boomers are no different than us boomers probably :)

it’s great though that the biggest problem the Japanese government has right now is how to change the constitution to more easily go to war

nah the japanese boomers are different in that they'll probably live 20 years more than us boomers

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

florida lan posted:

nah the japanese boomers are different in that they'll probably live 20 years more than us boomers

they'll die around the same time, but their neet grandchildren will quietly bury them in the garden to keep collecting their pension until someone else is caught hauling grandpa's bones around in a backpack and the government decides to do another welfare checks to see just how many alleged 120 year olds are actually still alive

this is a real thing that happened

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Penisface posted:

do you have a presence in Japan?

yep, it’s not huge but we do have one

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Skim Milk posted:

unless you really gently caress up your webcam placement

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Arcsech posted:

yep, it’s not huge but we do have one

where do i send my cv? :)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im updating my resume. it had been longer than i thought so im having to reach and remember a bit.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

PokeJoe posted:

im updating my resume. it had been longer than i thought so im having to reach and remember a bit.

never don't update your resume

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
I worked 90% remotely for a company for a few years; I was a 1.5 hour drive from my office via toll highway ($30 one way) and I had to go in once every two weeks. I would batch up meetings for my office visits, but otherwise it was annoying to communicate with people. Eventually they shut down the Canadian office and I opted to not take an offer to move to the USA. Since I was living well out of Toronto the offers I received were way under what I was used to earning. In the end I took a job closer to Toronto that paid an ok salary and sold my house so my commute wouldn't be poo poo.

I'm going to be looking for a new job very soon and I'll consider remote if the salary is right but I'd rather be in the office if at all possible.

I also have friends that work remote, but they are all Canadians (in Calgary, specifically) working for American companies. I discussed this with one of them and he says he would rather be in an office with his coworkers but he's not willing to cut his salary in half or move back to the USA to do so. Even though they don't all work for the same companies they "co-work" a few times per week at local coffee shops, which probably staves off a lot of the depression/isolation of remote work.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

Even though they don't all work for the same companies they "co-work" a few times per week at local coffee shops, which probably staves off a lot of the depression/isolation of remote work.

I hear this complaint a lot. Do some people have zero social contact outside of their co-workers? I have a wife and friends I'd prefer to socialize with. I like my teammates but can't imagine missing them or feeling depressed because we aren't sitting side by side, lol.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fart Johnson posted:

I hear this complaint a lot. Do some people have zero social contact outside of their co-workers? I have a wife and friends I'd prefer to socialize with. I like my teammates but can't imagine missing them or feeling depressed because we aren't sitting side by side, lol.

sitting in total silence and isolation for 8 hours a day five days a week isn't fun, even if you have other things to do outside of that. you miss out on impromptu shoot the poo poo sessions, having lunch with someone, even just being able to walk over to someone and talk to them if you need to instead of reaching out over slack/webex/phone call. plus, being physically present allows you to possibly overhear things you otherwise wouldn't and not being there makes you feel more out of the loop

none of this applies if this doesn't happen and/or you hate your coworkers though

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I have lots of friends outside of work, and yeah I could never consider 95% of my coworkers "friends". I just prefer being surrounded by actual real humans that I can talk to every now and then even if they are not much more than people I have to share the same piece of carpet with 40 hours a week.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm only able to work at home for a few weeks before I really start to miss being in the office. Just being alone for all of the working day every day has a real impact on my mood.

You enjoy being at home more too, if you're not there 24/7

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

carry on then posted:

sitting in total silence and isolation for 8 hours a day five days a week isn't fun, even if you have other things to do outside of that. you miss out on impromptu shoot the poo poo sessions, having lunch with someone, even just being able to walk over to someone and talk to them if you need to instead of reaching out over slack/webex/phone call. plus, being physically present allows you to possibly overhear things you otherwise wouldn't and not being there makes you feel more out of the loop

none of this applies if this doesn't happen and/or you hate your coworkers though

I get where you're coming from, although I don't share the sentiments. On my team we're spread across multiple states so there's really no "loop" to be left out of. All of our communication is async outside of teleconferencing. I once worked on a team at Wells Fargo (red flag I know) and we were all co-located with no remote work. Having no remote option and people walking up to chat constantly felt like I could never concentrate. Also felt like 90% of convos weren't work-related, it was all just the illusion of looking busy to please management.

At home, I feel like things are far more results oriented. If I have stuff to get done, I get it done and it's obvious if I didn't. If I have some slow days, I just kick back or step away for a bit without feeling guilty. In the office it felt like you had to pretend to be busy if you weren't. Again, these experiences are at non-tech companies, so their software culture is mostly garbage.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yeah, the opposite (constant interruptions, a loud work environment) is garbage but it's nice to have something reasonably in the middle

my ideal would be in the office 3 days per week, wfh for 2

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

caught myself going super technical on a phone screen with an HR person instead of a dev, whoops

I've really got to work on expounding myself to folks who don't do software dev directly, makes it hard to answer "why should we hire you" type queries

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
questions from an HR contact should be whether you can legally and economically work for the company and do you have skills on the JD yes/no/how much, anything more open ended than that is vanity imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

should or not, they're still Obstacle #2 in the process so :shrug:

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Ciaphas posted:

caught myself going super technical on a phone screen with an HR person instead of a dev, whoops

I've really got to work on expounding myself to folks who don't do software dev directly, makes it hard to answer "why should we hire you" type queries
that's a big part of transitioning to a senior dev

understanding the business value of the technical work you provide, being able to talk about it in the abstract without getting hung up on minor implementation details

you *do* this all the time, like a PM is just a casual who wants to know how far your PoE character is but doesn't need the precise % of your cold resist even if that's your #1 priority

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Arcsech posted:

I probably wouldn’t work fully remote on any team that isn’t already >50% remote.

basically this is the crux of it

i've been fulltime remote at 3 tech-co jobs for 6+ years now, literally never going back in office as long as I have a choice. I don't make FAANG money but it's pretty close (basically every job has been ~ nyc tech salaries), and utterly worth the difference to live somewhere cool instead of the loving bay area

by no means do I feel isolated. company is a majority remote, and there is lots of completely remote intra- and inter- team communication and collaboration. you do end up in hangouts/zoom/whatever pretty often. probably helps to be an introvert, and confident enough to do stuff on your own, or confident enough to make noise and actively ask questions/reach out to people

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

that's a big part of transitioning to a senior dev

understanding the business value of the technical work you provide, being able to talk about it in the abstract without getting hung up on minor implementation details

you *do* this all the time, like a PM is just a casual who wants to know how far your PoE character is but doesn't need the precise % of your cold resist even if that's your #1 priority

lol that was a targeted analogy by half :v: but good point anyway

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

what if i'm really good at explaining technical poo poo to HR people and senior devs but then fall apart when trying to explain it to low level techies? does that make me a manager?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

qhat posted:

what if i'm really good at explaining technical poo poo to HR people and senior devs but then fall apart when trying to explain it to low level techies? does that make me a manager?

Yes, here's your pointy hat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Fart Johnson posted:

I get where you're coming from, although I don't share the sentiments. On my team we're spread across multiple states so there's really no "loop" to be left out of. All of our communication is async outside of teleconferencing. I once worked on a team at Wells Fargo (red flag I know) and we were all co-located with no remote work. Having no remote option and people walking up to chat constantly felt like I could never concentrate. Also felt like 90% of convos weren't work-related, it was all just the illusion of looking busy to please management.

At home, I feel like things are far more results oriented. If I have stuff to get done, I get it done and it's obvious if I didn't. If I have some slow days, I just kick back or step away for a bit without feeling guilty. In the office it felt like you had to pretend to be busy if you weren't. Again, these experiences are at non-tech companies, so their software culture is mostly garbage.

that’s my point, some people can do the 8 to 5 alone, others need contact, most fall somewhere in the middle. id probably go insane with an office of one so i don’t seek out full time remote, but my office culture is actually decent so maybe it’s better than being pissed off all day

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my ability to stay motivated is an open question but other than that i'd love to try 100% remote. i try not to be a social pariah but i really really just prefer being left to myself

getting a job that lets me do that is another question tho and i'd rather do it after i get the hell out of vegas :v:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm on the fence about it, I like the face to face when things are good but if I actually have work to do I manage to get a lot more of it done at home since I find the office to be pretty distracting.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i didn't get into this to work in no matrix pod

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
talking to the computers is the easy part y'all

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

i've been working remote for almost 2 years and it's definitely a bit too much to keep motivation going and that's me who's fairly anti-social. It's going to be a shock going back into an office when I land a new gig but I'm actually looking forward to it.

I got a second phone interview with google after I was almost certain I completely bombed the first one. Recruiter said I communicated well and that clearly the thought process and knowledge was there but the actual code writing is what needs to be scrutinized more. Its scheduled 3 weeks out so I will practice no IDE coding for the time being. Have on-sites and other interviews in-between now and then so hopefully I will be a lot less anxious by the time it rolls around.

Still very strange speaking with the recruiter casually because I was expecting rejection to dry mouth and stammering after she said they want a second interview. I guess I only get this way for the FAANG

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I will never change jobs again unless I don't have to do a coding test beyond fizzbuzz

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
you skip lunch?