Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Then you could go prospecting for gopros and selfie sticks buried all over the mountain in the spring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ante posted:

Then you could go prospecting for gopros and selfie sticks buried all over the mountain in the spring

Imagine the barely used gear you could get after you peel it off their popsicle like appendages

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Math You posted:

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YALLS BUTTS?

Tell me what rear end cancer signs I am missing :ohdear:

He went to give blood and was too anemic to donate, and instead of ignoring the problem he got a full work up done which detected the butt cancer early enough to treat it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If Vail wouldn’t get sued to oblivion then I’d say just let them naturally select out of the population.

Weird overlap in the Venn diagram between people who would never venture into the backcountry and people who don’t respect inbounds closures.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Math You posted:

I also adjusted my stance significantly for the first time in like 15 years. Noticed a touch of knee discomfort last year so I narrowed up a bit and adjusted the angles to +18/+3.
First run was kind of weird but then I ripped the place up the rest of the night. A+ first runs this year. I'm attributing it to great conditions rather than the changes but it's a good sign :)

How do you like a positive back foot angle? That just seems weird to me.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
it's awesome, i ride +21 +9 on my ride alter ego. doing deep toe side carves is a lot of fun

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

spwrozek posted:

How do you like a positive back foot angle? That just seems weird to me.

Don't a lot of the racers use positive angles?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Weird overlap in the Venn diagram between people who would never venture into the backcountry and people who don’t respect inbounds closures.

I think it's more the people that don't understand that avy control is a thing that's done every single day and is most of the reason why people don't die every year going down The Saddle and instead just want to get in MAH POWDAH on blue runs straight away.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

HookShot posted:

I think it's more the people that don't understand that avy control is a thing that's done every single day and is most of the reason why people don't die every year going down The Saddle and instead just want to get in MAH POWDAH on blue runs straight away.

I had to think about this for a second since I'm from the east coast where every inbound closure is due to too little snow, not too much.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dogeh posted:

Don't a lot of the racers use positive angles?

All do.

I probably ride 40% of my time switch so just not sure I could do it.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

spwrozek posted:

All do.

I probably ride 40% of my time switch so just not sure I could do it.

I'll stick with my +16/0
I have bigger concerns with my boots right now.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Terje rides switch better than any of us ride regular with some ridiculous stance angles like 25/15.

I've moved back to a positive rear angle on my directional boards after years of duckfootedness. I keep the 15/-15 on the twin though because I like to pretend I'm still in need of a park specific twin in the spring at Timberline.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah but terje is loving terje. Maybe I should try it out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Razzled posted:

i want the nitro board all the pros use that are bendy as hell to do weird pop tricks like marcus kleveland does out of nowhere

on a side note, i got invited to a breck trip with a bunch of skiiers. i'm not on epic this year so i checked how much the tickets are... 160 a day LOL.

Well, I'll ski with them for like a day-- maybe 2 if someone lets me use their buddy passes.

Otherwise my cheap rear end is going to Copper for free laps!

Uh, it's 189 now.....

If you need it I should be able to let you use my buddy pass pricing. I never use em.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I've skied so much the past few weeks, I want to quit my job and become a full-time skibum

:same:

I took some family who were visiting from Central Canada to Lake Louise yesterday. The snow was so-so but they had a great time.

Of course today it dumps snow there when I have to work. :suicide:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I don't ride switch at all. I can, because I forced myself to learn it, but something about moving right foot forward seems so wrong to me. I decided to just give up on it a couple years ago, so it was kind of laughable that I was still riding duck.

I was pretty worried about it myself which is why I started at 18/3. I couldn't really wrap my head around how it would even work until I was moving. Felt natural right off the bat! I think I'll give it a few more runs before trying 21/6

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Math You posted:

In your 20s and 30s, a little blood from your butt is usually assumed to be hemorrhoids and doesn’t seem to be taken seriously. I had that plus chronic stomach aches and irregular poops. My doctor thought that was a bad combo and sent me for further testing where they found and removed a bunch of pre-cancerous growths in two surgeries.

It’s still an ongoing thing I have to deal with but it’s a drat sight better than finding out after it had metastasized into cancer. Knowing is half the battle. ~GI JOEEE~

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Having surgery on Thursday!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Holy gently caress you hosed yourself up

highme
May 25, 2001

:drat:

That didn't happen when you were trying to be Terje did it?

All joking aside, WTF mate? Was that today or a previous injury?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is what my collar bone looks like after 9 days of healing. Doesn't look good so time for surgery. My first x-ray doesn't look near as bad. It didn't really stay in place like we thought it might. But glad it is now and not 6 weeks from now.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

That is what my collar bone looks like after 9 days of healing. Doesn't look good so time for surgery. My first x-ray doesn't look near as bad. It didn't really stay in place like we thought it might. But glad it is now and not 6 weeks from now.

Yikes, heal up fast!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not a doctor but I think it's broken.

Good luck, dude.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but look at all those bones that are intact.

So many bones!

There’s always a bright side.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Having surgery on Thursday!

That shouldn't be there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Yeah but look at all those bones that are intact.

So many bones!

There’s always a bright side.

Silver lining is where it is at.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Silver lining is where it is at.

The more bones the better, and it looks like you’re running a surplus!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Heal up soon spwrozek! Hope that you are back out there soon.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s about to come out of the skin isn’t it?

I walked on a broken leg for a day. You don’t want the bone to pop out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That’s about to come out of the skin isn’t it?

I walked on a broken leg for a day. You don’t want the bone to pop out.

Nah, it is just coming there. It should be fine until Thursday.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

bringer posted:

In your 20s and 30s, a little blood from your butt is usually assumed to be hemorrhoids and doesn’t seem to be taken seriously. I had that plus chronic stomach aches and irregular poops. My doctor thought that was a bad combo and sent me for further testing where they found and removed a bunch of pre-cancerous growths in two surgeries.

It’s still an ongoing thing I have to deal with but it’s a drat sight better than finding out after it had metastasized into cancer. Knowing is half the battle. ~GI JOEEE~

Describe these stomach aches. I have had this weird lower left abdominal pain for years, very dull that comes and goes, even went to the doc for it and they said it was because of eating too much dairy (cutting out dairy did nothing). Nothing alarming/irregular with my poops tho.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I've got an acquaintance who just found out, in his early thirties, that he has Celiac's disease. So, actual non-fad gluten intolerance, and even eating gluten-free pizza that's been cooked on the same pan as regular pizza will gently caress him up for a month.

He's so glad he's not sick anymore, like he was for basically a decade.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > You Look Like poo poo > Ski and Snowboard 18/19: Broken Bones and Bleeding Butts

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any Denver-area skiers have recommendations for a good package/resort to get to learn? I'd personally like something my wife and I can get a really good foundation, and if it costs a little more for something with personal attention I'd be down for it. 1 on 1 seems way too much though.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

ironlung posted:

Describe these stomach aches. I have had this weird lower left abdominal pain for years, very dull that comes and goes, even went to the doc for it and they said it was because of eating too much dairy (cutting out dairy did nothing). Nothing alarming/irregular with my poops tho.

I’d describe it as the kind of stomach ache you get when you’re really stressed, if that makes sense. I actually thought it was an ulcer to begin with, as I felt permanently stressed and my stomach hurts when I eat and also when I don’t. Still have the stomach aches and nausea but knowing there’s a physical cause has been good for the stress - poo poo’s weird.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Also: if I have waterproof rain pants, can those be combined with a base layer/insulation layer and be used as ski pants? Or will I hate life?

highme
May 25, 2001

You'll be ok, but if you want to hold off until you're sure you want to continue it's not the worst option. Also, just go to Loveland. It's the closest I-70 resort, relatively cheap and they have a whole side of a mountain that's just beginner poo poo to mellow blues.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

highme posted:

You'll be ok, but if you want to hold off until you're sure you want to continue it's not the worst option. Also, just go to Loveland. It's the closest I-70 resort, relatively cheap and they have a whole side of a mountain that's just beginner poo poo to mellow blues.

Loveland is what I was told by someone else so I'm glad to see it said again.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ShaneB posted:

Any Denver-area skiers have recommendations for a good package/resort to get to learn? I'd personally like something my wife and I can get a really good foundation, and if it costs a little more for something with personal attention I'd be down for it. 1 on 1 seems way too much though.

Loveland has a package where you get three lessons and a season pass for like $350. It is a sweet deal.

Real snow pants would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I totally forgot I have like 18 year old snowboarding pants I borrowed from a college friend, never gave back, and have moved with me a dozen times. They will probably be good enough.