Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

McGiggins posted:

That's actually an amazing idea, to use mall power to mine.

I had free electricity in an apartment I was renting for six months, about five years ago. I really should have exploited that to mine bitcoin in retrospect.

It was because some idiot electrician wired the landlord's power supply for the apartment complex through my meter and it took the incompetent company running the place half a year to pay somebody to come and fix it. Actually the first apartment I moved into had no electricity at all and rather than have that fixed they moved me into another, nicer apartment along with giving me a month and a half rent back ($2,500 I think or something like that?). They were so desperately incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Patrat posted:

I had free electricity in an apartment I was renting for six months, about five years ago. I really should have exploited that to mine bitcoin in retrospect.

It was because some idiot electrician wired the landlord's power supply for the apartment complex through my meter and it took the incompetent company running the place half a year to pay somebody to come and fix it. Actually the first apartment I moved into had no electricity at all and rather than have that fixed they moved me into another, nicer apartment along with giving me a month and a half rent back ($2,500 I think or something like that?). They were so desperately incompetent.

Nah, you shouldn’t have mined in any case.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pebergehund posted:

Makes me wonder how much mining is done on basically stolen power. “Hey Dad, can I set up my “backup server” at your house? My apartment doesn’t have the room”

There was a (bit)coin mine in a generic light industry building that was raided by the police here in the Netherlands because they bypassed the power meter. Police thought they were running a grow op, were really suprised to see a bunch of computer hardware instead of plants (dude was still arrested for stealing electricity and money laundering though).

NihilismNow fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 30, 2018

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkBn4AIj3l8&t=770s

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I knew a guy that mined from his PC at the school he worked for

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

florida.jpg

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

borat coin (vary nice) (lmbo)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s like a scratch and sniff picture, except I didn’t scratch it and I can still smell it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I clicked a banner of asses making GBS threads out coins and got this image.

Good job Bitcoin, maybe your dumb idea for a currency will work out in 2019 it won't.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Going back to what I was saying a few days ago about Labour members:

The independent posted:

Brexit news: Pressure mounts on Jeremy Corbyn as Labour members overwhelmingly back fresh referendum

Labour leader warned his rank and file will turn against him if he continues to back EU withdrawal – with 16 per cent telling survey they have considered quitting

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-second-referendum-labour-peoples-vote-final-say-jeremy-corbyn-eu-a8706586.html

If 16% are considering quitting, it’s likely that a significant proportion may sit an election out rather than voting Labour. As the article says, many of these members still support Corbyn, but are upset and/or angry on his Brexit positioning. It could get expensive in the event of a general election, particularly if Corbyn can’t make it up by courting Brexit-supporters as he appears to want to.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pesmerga posted:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-second-referendum-labour-peoples-vote-final-say-jeremy-corbyn-eu-a8706586.html

If 16% are considering quitting, it’s likely that a significant proportion may sit an election out rather than voting Labour. As the article says, many of these members still support Corbyn, but are upset and/or angry on his Brexit positioning. It could get expensive in the event of a general election, particularly if Corbyn can’t make it up by courting Brexit-supporters as he appears to want to.

quoting for wrong thread posterity

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pesmerga posted:

lol haha get back to DnD nerd!!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

JFairfax posted:

lol haha get back to DnD nerd!!

Hahahaha gently caress. Sorry everyone.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Pesmerga posted:

This sounds like a job for blockchain technology!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
just to be gratuitously on topic, Diane Abbott on what Labour will do about cryptos:

The next Home Secretary posted:

One of the problems with Bitcoin is the extent to which it is just a gigantic Ponzi scheme. If everyone took their Bitcoin money and tried to buy a new car all at once the whole thing would collapse. So, we are worried about the extent to which Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme but we are certainly worried about how in the here and now it is being used to fund terrorist activity and that is something we are looking at … It was poor regulation of financial services which led to the 2008 crash and obviously regulating Bitcoin would be part of that.

take that satoshi

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Wait they're saying regulating bitcoin would cause a collapse?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

McGiggins posted:

Wait they're saying regulating bitcoin would cause a collapse?

no, sort your reading comprehension out mate

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I’ve always been sceptical of the «used to fund terror» angle - normal people have enough trouble finding places to spend their coins and/or convert it into fiat, I assume trying to buy bomb materials in some middle east country with butts is 100x harder.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ymgve posted:

I’ve always been sceptical of the «used to fund terror» angle - normal people have enough trouble finding places to spend their coins and/or convert it into fiat, I assume trying to buy bomb materials in some middle east country with butts is 100x harder.

I imagine finding out your dad liquidated everything that was going to be willed to you and converted it to shitcoin would be pretty terrifying

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JFairfax posted:

no, sort your reading comprehension out mate

Well, what’s the antecedent of “that” in the final sentence?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ymgve posted:

I bet there was least one time somebody tried to coordinate a massive arms transaction with bitcoin, fat fingered the address and sent it to a black hole 2012 wallet, and then got executed the next day.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

no go on Quiznos posted:

Me. I just sold a butt for $4000. Now to see if I can get it into my bank account.

Hey did that goon ever get his money?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Hey did that goon ever get his money?

narrator voice he did not

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

orange juche posted:

narrator voice he did not

Lmao

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EorayMel posted:

I bet there was least one time somebody tried to coordinate a massive arms transaction with bitcoin, fat fingered the address and sent it to a black hole 2012 wallet, and then got executed the next day.

definitely let the boss type in the wallet address

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

ymgve posted:

They don't use it to buy things. They use it to transfer money to operatives in target countries. One of the big reasons there's a new international agreement between banks and governments is disclosure of suspicious transfers. They didn't do it before when only wealthy tax dodgers benefited from this. But nowadays terrorist groups could also use it. So they are clamping it down. Now, if governments are willing to displease the wealthy for this, they wouldn't care at all at doing it to coiners.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Terrorism chat is just the PR campaign, it's mostly about finding mundane crime money to seize and enforcing sanctions

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Subjunctive posted:

Well, what’s the antecedent of “that” in the final sentence?

the poster selectively quoted the original interview, as indicated by the ' ...' following the third sentence indicating that they have cut and pasted quotes that do not follow each other directly.

The next Home Secretary posted:

One of the problems with Bitcoin is the extent to which it is just a gigantic Ponzi scheme. If everyone took their Bitcoin money and tried to buy a new car all at once the whole thing would collapse. So, we are worried about the extent to which Bitcoin is a Ponzi scheme but we are certainly worried about how in the here and now it is being used to fund terrorist activity and that is something we are looking at … It was poor regulation of financial services which led to the 2008 crash and obviously regulating Bitcoin would be part of that.

the 'that' is clearly referring to regulation of financial services to avoid a repeat of a crash like the one seen in 2008, here's the full quote:

“Labour overall thinks it’s important to have proper regulation of financial services,” she says. “It was poor regulation of financial services which led to the 2008 crash and obviously regulating Bitcoin would be part of that.”

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/home-affairs/immigration/house/house-magazine/93246/diane-abbott-%93sometimes-immigration

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ymgve posted:

Didn't ISIS actually do some of that, even if it isn't their current priority? I know NK does and they usually get classified as terries too.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nessus posted:

Didn't ISIS actually do some of that, even if it isn't their current priority? I know NK does and they usually get classified as terries too.

do people buy oil with bitcoins?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JFairfax posted:

the poster selectively quoted the original interview, as indicated by the ' ...'

ah, quite so! I totally skimmed over that

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
So was I right or dumb? Help I don't possess the reading comprehension to determine word shape meanings! :kingsley:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Motronic posted:

It's definitely not on the sly - again, if this is a real datacenter. The logical assumption is that it's an employee.

Just plugging something in to the wrong outlet will raise alarms in a well managed datacenter. Every power circuit to ever rack is metered. If an un-leased rack starts using power it's going to be noticed. Selling metered power is one of their profit centers AND changing power density in specific areas of floor space often requires physical changes to balance airflow appropriately (i.e.: throwing another perforated panel in the floor in front of that rack, or opening the existing panel's shutters more).

Working in tech is fun because I constantly hear about someone getting fired at another company for trying to mine bitcoins using company resources. Last one I know about was a dude who ran up $50K bill by running secret miners inside of his company's AWS tenant. Did it for 30 days before next month's bill came through and people asked questions. Bitcoiners are that stupid that they will risk a high income engineering job to make a few satoshis.

As a precaution I do my duty and make sure every single resume that the recruiters here even try to sniff that has cryptocurrency mentioned anywhere on it is rejected outright for any type of position. Crypto morons are not a protected class thankfully.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 3, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Happy 10-year anniversary of the mining of the Genesis block! :toot:

I'm sure Bitcoin will take over the world any day now.

Aaaaaaaaaaany day now.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Rad Russian posted:

As a precaution I do my duty and make sure every single resume that the recruiters here even try to sniff that has cryptocurrency mentioned anywhere on it is rejected outright for any type of position. Crypto morons are not a protected class thankfully.
I probably got my job due to Bitcoin... because I was asked if I could think of any technical trends that I had specific thoughts I could articulate about, and I said "Well all this bitcoin stuff is really a waste of power, I guess in principle you could eventually do something but what's going on now is just wasting electrical power to accomplish nothing but selling some drugs." This cracked up the interviewer.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Nessus posted:

I probably got my job due to Bitcoin... because I was asked if I could think of any technical trends that I had specific thoughts I could articulate about, and I said "Well all this bitcoin stuff is really a waste of power, I guess in principle you could eventually do something but what's going on now is just wasting electrical power to accomplish nothing but selling some drugs." This cracked up the interviewer.

Bitcoin... did a good thing?

Oh no my worldview.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mimesweeper posted:

Oh no my worldview.
Bush increased aid to Africa, Hitler built the autobahn, Stalin won WWII... even the worst things usually have SOME upside somewhere.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Trump's legacy will be "finally released that piss tape"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Mimesweeper posted:

Oh no my worldview.

Bitcoin has brought us plenty of laughs.