Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fart City posted:

I had an okay opinion of it after seeing it in theaters, but as time went on more and more issues with it began to pop up. I decided to give it another shot after it dropped on Netflix and it just feels very... white noisey. I got bored around thirty minutes in and realized I had no interest in committing another two hours and peaced out. I know some people dig it, which is fine, but it was a one and done for me.
I rewatched it last week and it’s still as good as it was in theaters. The film itself was an incredibly tough thing to pull off since you have so many characters and in almost all of the scenes you have characters that have not previously interacted before. It’s not perfect but it’s still strong.

Thanos’ minions still suck and their CG is pretty bad when compared to Thanos himself though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of Jacob's Ladder, its release date just got pulled (again).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ALFbrot posted:

The pocket was flush with the rest of his chest at first, and then he moved in a way that made it bulge out from the shirt you nincompoop

If you're white knighting this scene in the film does that make you a pocket protector?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

Mary Poppins Returns is a story about ensuring the rich stay rich, that men never have to account for anything or ever be responsible as thats a woman's job, and that the solution to "you're a loving terrible father" is to be as childish as possible. From a mechanical standpoint it is poorly paced, has extremely dull cinematography that people who would normally never notice it notice it, and doesn't understand how to setup a story arc or foreshadow things properly. Lastly, the film ends with a scene demonstrating the problems of "Angel Summoner vs. BMX Bandit" and it sort of undermines the entire point of Mary Poppins character purpose.

Should've cast Rooker

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

They probably reveal some horrible military/CIA program at the end of the movie like the original and keep getting prevented from releasing

:tinfoil:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Barudak posted:

Mary Poppins Returns is a story about ensuring the rich stay rich, that men never have to account for anything or ever be responsible as thats a woman's job, and that the solution to "you're a loving terrible father" is to be as childish as possible.

But enough about Disney’s treatment of P.L. Travers...

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Mary Poppins Returns is such an archetypical Disney movie that it’s hard to be especially mad at it individually. Every animated classic gets a live action remake, and every live action classic gets a soft reboot/“sequel” that retreads the same ground as the first where we follow the children from the first movie while they rediscover what it’s like to be a kid (so we can tell people to still buy Disney stuff even though they’re adults.) It even has the most hilariously perfect example of the Disney philosophy of “capitalism is great, you just gotta get rid of the bad capitalists” where the main conflict is resolved by getting rid of the bad rich guy and replacing him with a good rich guy the characters can all swear fealty to.

It’s like, literally the exact same movie as Christopher Robin from a few months ago. I kinda can’t believe they got away with it.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Wait until you learn about the Marvel movies!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chairman Capone posted:

It should probably just get pulled forever. I rewatched Jacob's Ladder a couple years ago and it's still one of the scariest movies ever made, I don't see the point of this remake at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fried Watermelon posted:

They probably reveal some horrible military/CIA program at the end of the movie like the original and keep getting prevented from releasing

:tinfoil:

Wait? This is the first time I've heard of this, then again I was a bit young when the original came out to have paid attention to something like that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of unnecessary reboots/remakes, what's the status of the Big Trouble w/ The Rock? Cold feet after getting more backlash than expected?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

exquisite tea posted:

It should probably just get pulled forever. I rewatched Jacob's Ladder a couple years ago and it's still one of the scariest movies ever made, I don't see the point of this remake at all.

It’s an evergreen flick and any attempt to remake it is just going to result in something really clumsy and redundant. I do not need to see a PG-13, CGI-bloated Jacob’s Ladder starring a puffy Johnny Depp mumbling his way through a committee script.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
When I was in college I wrote a 15 page paper about the sound effects and soundtrack mixing in Jacob's Ladder that I wish I still had. I fuckin' love that movie.

Fart City posted:

It’s an evergreen flick and any attempt to remake it is just going to result in something really clumsy and redundant. I do not need to see a PG-13, CGI-bloated Jacob’s Ladder starring a puffy Johnny Depp mumbling his way through a committee script.

Also this. There are plenty of movies that I totally understand getting remade, but Jacob's Ladder is complete. I don't know if the blu-ray shares it but if you get the old DVD of it it was one of the best DVDs ever at the time for having a cool making of thing and stuff like that. It was amazing how hard they worked to make thing understated and claustrophobic. Everyone knows about the gurney part with the crooked wheel but even really simple stuff like how whenever they're in the apartment they almost always have like a piece of furniture in the way or have some things distorted by a mirror on one side of the screen and stuff like that.

There's an IMDB entry for it that was last updated in December 2017 but has it rated R but an incomplete cast, like the entry's incomplete to a point where maybe this iteration of it wasn't what was being done in 2015? Bizarre, even if it was a total stinker you'd think it would have been dumped onto VOD or whatever already. I wonder if it's like an Exorcist prequel situation where they went back to the drawing board on some stuff but kept an actor or two/the same general story.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Enos Cabell posted:

Speaking of unnecessary reboots/remakes, what's the status of the Big Trouble w/ The Rock? Cold feet after getting more backlash than expected?

Hopefully. Carpenter came out with some pretty damning comments about it being a creatively bankrupt cashgrab. Plus Johnson is so wrong for the role.

Hey, at least they put out some surprisingly great comics with Carpenter's involvement the past couple years.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Hopefully. Carpenter came out with some pretty damning comments about it being a creatively bankrupt cashgrab. Plus Johnson is so wrong for the role.

Hey, at least they put out some surprisingly great comics with Carpenter's involvement the past couple years.

I was hoping they were going to go with the idea they had in the early 00s where it would be called Little Trouble in Big China and be a sequel involving the characters actually going to China.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

A pocket appears where there was no pocket before on his shirt though.

That's Henry Cavill's superpower. When he gets angry, additional pockets appear on him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barudak posted:

Mary Poppins Returns is a story about ensuring the rich stay rich, that men never have to account for anything or ever be responsible as thats a woman's job, and that the solution to "you're a loving terrible father" is to be as childish as possible. From a mechanical standpoint it is poorly paced, has extremely dull cinematography that people who would normally never notice it notice it, and doesn't understand how to setup a story arc or foreshadow things properly. Lastly, the film ends with a scene demonstrating the problems of "Angel Summoner vs. BMX Bandit" and it sort of undermines the entire point of Mary Poppins character purpose.

I think this misreads a few things.

Mainly, Mary Poppins is not there to help the family maintain it's wealth and never takes any actions towards that end that matter. If she never showed up, Mr. Dawes still would have.

She is there to help the children process their grief and start to have a childhood again because they've been too busy supporting their father. Her main interaction with the grownups is to make sure the father realizes the importance of having a childhood and gives his children one, and to make sure aunt Jane gets laid.

The China she helps them repair is worthless. Turning the clock back doesn't make their mutilated shares the least bit valid. She's the one who initially handed the basket with the shares to a child and told him to throw it away

The storytelling is certainly unorthodox but the tension is really these depressed kids who need to have imagination again and whether their sad dad can shake off his depression. In the end they accomplish that even after they think they've lost the house. The rest is basically epilogue. It takes place in the great depression but economics is at the peripheral, the film is more about literal depression.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Neo Rasa posted:

Also this. There are plenty of movies that I totally understand getting remade, but Jacob's Ladder is complete. I don't know if the blu-ray shares it but if you get the old DVD of it it was one of the best DVDs ever at the time for having a cool making of thing and stuff like that. It was amazing how hard they worked to make thing understated and claustrophobic. Everyone knows about the gurney part with the crooked wheel but even really simple stuff like how whenever they're in the apartment they almost always have like a piece of furniture in the way or have some things distorted by a mirror on one side of the screen and stuff like that.

Watching it makes you realize just how merciful most other horror films are when it comes to preparing the audience for "okay here comes the scary part." In Jacob's Ladder there's a persistent feeling of unease over the entire movie where anything can turn at any moment and you never truly feel safe. That split second when they're fighting in the apartment and Elizabeth Pena's eyes go black on "is there anyone home?!" is loving terrifying, especially because it goes right back to normal and you're not even sure of what you just saw. Jacob's Ladder is full of little unsettling moments like those.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't this shot back in 2016? I wonder what's going on with it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

Wasn't this shot back in 2016? I wonder what's going on with it.

Yeah. And its most recent release date was this February 1, so it got pulled less than a month out, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah. And its most recent release date was this February 1, so it got pulled less than a month out, too.

They should go all out and release it the same day as Avengers 4 like how the same day The Dark Knight came out Fox finally also released that second X-Files movie in theaters that everyone forgot existed.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

davidspackage posted:

That's Henry Cavill's superpower. When he gets angry, additional pockets appear on him.

He did look like a Liefeld character in that movie.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Neo Rasa posted:

They should go all out and release it the same day as Avengers 4 like how the same day The Dark Knight came out Fox finally also released that second X-Files movie in theaters that everyone forgot existed.

It's for the best, really.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

It never fails fo amuse me that in a blind taste test, there are still a significant amount of people out there who think that the second X-Files movie was about werewolves

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had to go re-read the synopsis because its been so long since I last saw it; the best thing I can say is that it was mostly forgettable and not actively terrible like the new seasons of the X-Files (I could not bring myself to watch season 11).

This bit tho, lmao

quote:

In a post-credits scene, Mulder and Scully head across the sea towards a tropical island in a row boat, waving to the camera above.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

davidspackage posted:

Jeeze, did Liefield create him, too?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cavill is a handsome hardcore gamer who missed his call confirming he had the Superman role because he was playing a video game.

Why the gently caress does he not have a twitch channel.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fart City posted:

It never fails fo amuse me that in a blind taste test, there are still a significant amount of people out there who think that the second X-Files movie was about werewolves

Because that movie was about loving NOTHING and everyone fills in the gaping void with that werewolf "set photo" Chris Carter put out to troll the fans.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 3, 2019

bartok
May 10, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Because that movie was about loving NOTHING and everyone fills in the gaping void with that werewolf "set photo" Chris Carter put out to troll the fans.

All I remember about that second X-Files movie was Billy Connolly playing a psychic pedophile priest.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

bartok posted:

All I remember about that second X-Files movie was Billy Connolly playing a psychic pedophile priest.

I mostly remember the random GWB joke, Amanda Peet's hilarious death by elevator shaft and FBI Agent Xzibit bursting into a room with his gun out shouting "DOWN ON THE FLOOR! DOWN ON THE FLOOR! EVERYBODY GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR!" as if he momentarily forgot that he wasn't recording an album or something.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Cavill is a handsome hardcore gamer who missed his call confirming he had the Superman role because he was playing a video game.

Why the gently caress does he not have a twitch channel.

To be specific, he was in a WoW raid at the time

Phanatic posted:

Jeeze, did Liefield create him, too?

Quick, does anybody remember if they ever had a shot of his feet in MI:Fallout?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Does anyone think Frozen 2 will actually have a gay romance in it? At best it will have mild flirting that could be interpreted as non romantic. Disney doesn't have the guts. If they do I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Elsa being a lesbian is just a smokescreen for Olaf being a trans metaphor.

Gatts posted:

Real Talk. They're gonna do a Kingdom Hearts movie with their properties at some point. It's inevitable.

I don't think Disney would go all-in on an IP that replies so much on stuff that they don't actually own rather than just creating their own crossover event. Them splitting Spider-Man with Sony is probably the closest comparison and that's just a single character with a very clear division of ownership, so much of KH is based on Square-Enix's properties and the way the brand has only further diluted as each sequel packs in more and more original anime bullshit has basically self-sabotaged its original simple crossover appeal of "cute idiot child goes on a magic Disney adventure" in favor of a sprawling incomprehensible mythology that just happens to have Disney in the periphery.

asecondduck posted:

I thought Ralph Breaks The Internet was pretty good! Better than Incredibles 2, actually, which felt like a fleshed out pilot for an Incredibles TV series.

I wrote off Wreck It Ralph 2 but the positive episode of Blank Check about the movie made me willing to check it out on home video because they were the first feedback on the movie to actually discuss it beyond the surface "ugh, #brands and princesses!!!" backlash and the actual plot seems like a pretty good evolution of Vanellope and Ralph's relationship + some decent commentary on toxic fandom and people being lovely on the internet. Even if the princesses not being isolated to that one scene and instead playing heavily into the final act sounds incredibly :rolleyes:

Barudak posted:

So it sounds like a fitting follow-up to the first movie then? I loved MP as a kid but good lord is it looooong and boring and incredibly muddled between the few good parts. Also their PTSD-addled neighbor making a loving blackface joke when he sees the army of soot-smeared chimneysweeps advancing towards the building :catstare:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Guy Mann posted:

So it sounds like a fitting follow-up to the first movie then? I loved MP as a kid but good lord is it looooong and boring and incredibly muddled between the few good parts. Also their PTSD-addled neighbor making a loving blackface joke when he sees the army of soot-smeared chimneysweeps advancing towards the building :catstare:

Mary Poppins Returns is nearly as long as the original, and way more boring between the good parts, imo. They cram far too many songs in the movie (and none of them are ones I even really remembered leaving the theatre) and try too hard to hit the exact story beats/moments the original movie did. A lot of the songs just don't hit at all (like Meryl Streep's horrible detour) so the movie feels lengthier than the original to me, where I enjoyed every song even when it was long in the tooth.

That said, I loving loved it. I wish the music were more memorable, and I wish Lin Manuel Miranda wasn't in it b/c good lord he was terrible, but overall it made me feel happy and light in a way live action Disney hasn't in a very long time. And Blunt was excellent-- tho I think she could have been a little more vain. Julie Andrews felt more aloof as Mary while Blunt's Mary feels more like she's in on some kind of joke. Though that could be her lowkey giving a poo poo about the Banks family.

The story is ... weird when you consider the original was much about money not being important, but like Alborlantern Corps stated the movie is also very much about teaching Michael's children to be kids again, because they're very much the adults of the family when Mary shows up. It's also about teaching Michael and Jane to not take life too seriously. The money plot is weird but not that huge a focus other than a couple scenes, and the very end. It's also worth it to see Dick Van Dyke hop up on a desk and loving jig at 93 fwiw.

The setpieces in this movie are dope af and the performances are all very good (other than LMM). Ben Whishaw nearly moved me to tears w/ the one sombre number he has while looking for the shares up in their attic.

Would recommend. But if the original was too long and boring a musical for you this one prob will be too tbh, esp since the music isn't nearly as catchy when the big setpieces do happen.

It's certainly Rob Marshall's best movie since Chicago. But it's no Chicago.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

AceOfFlames posted:

I mostly remember the random GWB joke, Amanda Peet's hilarious death by elevator shaft and FBI Agent Xzibit bursting into a room with his gun out shouting "DOWN ON THE FLOOR! DOWN ON THE FLOOR! EVERYBODY GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR!" as if he momentarily forgot that he wasn't recording an album or something.

There are so many bizarre elements in IWTB that it’s like watching a greatest hits of Chris Carter’s worst writing tropes, minus the alien conspiracy poo poo. If they ever do a 3rd movie (lol) I really hope Fox demands someone else direct/write it. Maybe Frank Spotnitz once he’s free with Man in The High Castle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Guy Mann posted:

Elsa being a lesbian is just a smokescreen for Olaf being a trans metaphor.

Was he a human being that transitioned into a snowperson?

I have yet to see Frozen.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh one last Mary Poppins Returns thing, which imo is the best thing about the movie: they make zero attempt to push Emily Blunt's vocals past its natural range. They could have easily fallen into a trap of trying to have her hit the same highs Julie does, but while Julie Andrews' voice was soprano perfection, Emily Blunt's voice (which has improved a lot since Into the Woods, she sounds very good in this movie) is securely in the alto range. The movie just has her sing lower and I'm glad for it. I had been super concerned they'd try the impossible task of out Julieing Julie.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was he a human being that transitioned into a snowperson?

I have yet to see Frozen.

No, Olaf is a construct given life to by Elsa.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mamkute posted:

No, Olaf is a construct given life to by Elsa.

Yeah, Mulan is the trans icon. :v:

The Mouse suits were also shamelessly open about how Olaf was added to the movie for only two reasons: to add another male character to the movie, and for merchandising. They were worried that Frozen would be too girly and not attract enough of a young male audience if the only male characters were Kristoff, Hans, and the duke.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Who was the character that was also in the Bay films? I only ever saw the first. Uncle Hank?

A younger Simmons, John Turturro's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh I didn't even notice him. I remember John Turturro but not the character at all