Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

derra posted:

It's me, I'm the nerd that knew something was up with Aaron because he had an Xbox controller in his pad, in a Sony film.

holy poo poo this movie rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Chappie had the immortality supercomputer powered by PS3s so the bad guy using a competitor console in Spider-Verse is downright restrained.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/tvaziri/status/1080338672715673600

The characters being animated on 2's but out of sync is blowing my mind

same with seeing old-school animation smears done in 3d

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Guy Mann posted:

Chappie had the immortality supercomputer powered by PS3s so the bad guy using a competitor console in Spider-Verse is downright restrained.

i'm fairly sure 'a whole bunch of ps3s plugged into each other' is a real-life thing people who can't afford real supercomputers do for a cheaper alternative, but yes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy Mann posted:

The characters being animated on 2's but out of sync is blowing my mind

When they're both swinging along carrying the PC between them later in the same scene I'm pretty sure they're animated on the same 2's. Earlier in the scene they were stumbling over each other but then they figured out teamwork and got in sync figuratively and literally.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The amount of artistic craft in this movie is astounding.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When they're both swinging along carrying the PC between them later in the same scene I'm pretty sure they're animated on the same 2's. Earlier in the scene they were stumbling over each other but then they figured out teamwork and got in sync figuratively and literally.

how does this movie exist

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SirSamVimes posted:

how does this movie exist

The sad thing is that CGI is always this intensive and deliberate, it just has the stigma of being less legitimate than 'real" animation and special effects and it's often not usually being directed to an end or having attention drawn to it. This is what happens when the people who made The Emoji Movie are being directed by people who actually know how to make movies, I'm sure the guys making sure every one of Photorealistic Simba's fur follicles are perfectly positioned are working just as hard as the guys who synced up Miles and Peters' animations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ungulateman posted:

i'm fairly sure 'a whole bunch of ps3s plugged into each other' is a real-life thing people who can't afford real supercomputers do for a cheaper alternative, but yes

For a while it was super common since the PS3 had crazy UFO tech processing power for its time (which made it a pita to develop for) and originally could have Linux installed on it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For a while it was super common since the PS3 had crazy UFO tech processing power for its time (which made it a pita to develop for) and originally could have Linux installed on it.

Yep. The equal parts legendary and infamous Cell Processor. The reason why a lot of the big second party games (from places like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Guerrilla, Polyphony, Santa Monica, Japan Studio, etc.) from it’s mid-life onward looked and played absolutely fantastic is because those studios each figured out various portions of how to code games for the PS3 and then shared their breakthroughs with each other so that eventually by the time you get to games like The Last of Us they’re at their peak potential because of like 6 different studios’ worth of groundwork underneath it.

Also yeah the “Sever towers of PS3s daisy chained together” was also a plot point on Person of Interest. The main characters used an entire subway car full of PS3s to reboot and run the show’s resident artificial super intelligence.

There was also (debunked) rumours going around back in the 2000s that that Iraqi military was buying pallet-loads of PS2s to rip out their processors and shove them into missiles because their computing power was that great for its time. So this anecdote has been around for a while.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The amount of artistic craft in this movie is astounding.

It's a visual treat for sure, caught myself with my mouth open towards the end where visually it just kicked up several notches in wildness.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/1080280582343421952

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of the time when I was watching this I completely forgot that the characters were 3D models and not hand-drawn in 2D.
This movie is amazing.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

And even considering the fact that maybe 'Peter Porker' or 'Penni' or 'Noir' are interchangable, that ignores their purpose to bring visual splendor and diversity to the film. It's like complaining that the Enterprise's disk and sticks shape is relatively pointless for the story of Star Trek. But it's purpose is to diversify a universe full of unique species with individual quirks and design philosophies, and to bring a familiar central icon that the audience can instantly recognize. And I would say that the trio were picked to be instantly iconic and recognizable as both Spider-Man, and to be completely unfamiliar to the traditional Spider-Man mold. It brings the film back to it's final and central thesis: Spider-Man can be many things, and anyone can be Spider-Man.

This. Yes, they aren't "necessary" to the story or to Miles' character arc, but they don't have to be. Even if they didn't hammer home the "anyone can be Spider-Man" thing, which they do, the whole fun of the movie is the crazy alternate dimensions encroaching on established reality. Characters weaponizing Sin City hyper-noir or Bugs Bunny slapstick or strobing anime action is the most hilarious and awesome way to represent the idea.

This movie was fun and great and removing those characters makes it way more boring even if the story "works" without them.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Slashfilm posted an article about how the movie represents the "power of art". the article itself is pretty good but the whole thing is a great excuse to marvel at how literally every frame of this movie looks beautiful.

also they talk a little bit more about the alternate frame movement stuff and pointed out another really brilliant little thing:

quote:

Eventually, once Miles rises to the occasion, his coming-into-Spider-hood is punctuated by him finally getting his own comic. The moment he arrives, all decked out in a sure-to-be-iconic look, the film even tweaks the way it presents him.

For the majority of the runtime, our heroes are brought to life in the vein of traditional cel animation, in which frames of characters were often repeated.
In technical terms, it’s animating movement “on two’s.”

This effect is re-created in Spider-Verse whenever Miles moves through space. The technique isn’t usually employed by CG animation, so its presence helps grant the film a unique visual aesthetic:

Occasionally, even as other Spider-characters move a frame at a time, Miles’ frames still double up — like he’s lagging behind the more seasoned heroes.

However, once when Miles finally takes his leap and harnesses his powers, the film presents him in slow-motion, which necessitates smoother movement. Both Miles and his surroundings begin progress at the same speed, and even when he isn’t slowed down (for instance, his free-fall), his movement is more harmonious, more in tune with the surrounding animation.

He feels like he belongs.

they specifically kept Miles animated on the twos for longer to represent his relative lack of Spider-person abilities. dope.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

good God I love this movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

It just dawn on me that Spider Man Noir's character arc is that he sees everything in black and white and then gets a rubiks cube made of color

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Just got back from this, what a treat.

I think (and hope) there's a pattern emerging for Spider-Man movies having the best after-credits scenes.

How dare you point at me!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
People ask for the Japanese and the Italian Spiderman, but what about the Mexican one?

https://imgur.com/a/s45ui

:v:

For those that don't know, Editorial La Prensa was actually allowed to make wholly original Spiderman comics to fill the gap caused by copyright and licenses on Marvel's output.

EDIT:

Article (in Spanish) about the whole thing.

https://codigoespagueti.com/noticias/comics-hombre-arana-hechos-mexico/

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 3, 2019

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Goddamn that was a hell of a movie.

All the animation has been talked about by people way more knowledgeable about it than me so I'll just add that the soundtrack loving owned.

I was at a packed showing and it felt like a concert at times from everyone tapping, stomping, even clapping along when the beat got good.

First thing I did when I got home was grab the soundtrack.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

You who else needs to be in a sequel, besides Spiders-Man, Japanese Spiderman and Italian Spiderman?

The Osborne Spidermen, played by Wilhelm Dafoe and James "So Good!" Franco. Everyone but Miles is perturbed by thus, but Miles thinks they're sort cool, what's the big deal?

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

there's a mexican spidey who appeared in the spider-verse comics who's also a wrestler

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Young Freud posted:

You who else needs to be in a sequel, besides Spiders-Man, Japanese Spiderman and Italian Spiderman?

The Osborne Spidermen, played by Wilhelm Dafoe and James "So Good!" Franco. Everyone but Miles is perturbed by thus, but Miles thinks they're sort cool, what's the big deal?

Along similar lines Otto Superior Spiderman Octavius would be fun if Liv is back.

I'm not up on Spiderman comics that well, is Liv an established thing? Is she alt Otto or like a daughter/sister/wife/colleague/someone else who takes up his mantle?

What I'm getting at is would it be a family reunion, lovers reunited or some weird alternate self incest?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The last spider event had a female Otto but she looked nothing like Liv.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fractalairduct posted:

there's a mexican spidey who appeared in the spider-verse comics who's also a wrestler

Screw that, bring in Arachnaman from WCW.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Does anyone know what song plays while Peni is working on the goober?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

hiddenriverninja posted:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
thought

if spider-gwen was knocked into last week why isn't her glitch way worse than everyone else

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

thought

if spider-gwen was knocked into last week why isn't her glitch way worse than everyone else

Because she ate a bunch of food and replaced some of her atoms with native atoms?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

thought

Comic Book Answer: Gwen has a dimensional travel device of her own (which she's presumably using at the end of the film to see Miles) and therefore likely has a greater resistance to the glitch effect since she's a veteran dimension hopper.

In-Film Answer: This is to show that Gwen's universe and Mile's are similar enough to allow them each to spend significant time in each other's universes without fatal damage, unlike Noir, Ham, and Peni who are from universes with major differences (hence the art style shifts) who are glitching sooner and more severely. Peter B makes for an interesting case, but in that Peter B is from at least ten years in the future compared to Mile's universe, its possible that the chronal dissonance combined with Peter's age and lack of conditioning is making him more vulnerable to the glitches despite his world's similarities to Mile's.

Real World Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
loving Gwanda made me laugh so goddamn hard

e: Also everything in the credits dear lord

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

jng2058 posted:

Comic Book Answer: Gwen has a dimensional travel device of her own (which she's presumably using at the end of the film to see Miles) and therefore likely has a greater resistance to the glitch effect since she's a veteran dimension hopper.

In-Film Answer: This is to show that Gwen's universe and Mile's are similar enough to allow them each to spend significant time in each other's universes without fatal damage, unlike Noir, Ham, and Peni who are from universes with major differences (hence the art style shifts) who are glitching sooner and more severely. Peter B makes for an interesting case, but in that Peter B is from at least ten years in the future compared to Mile's universe, its possible that the chronal dissonance combined with Peter's age and lack of conditioning is making him more vulnerable to the glitches despite his world's similarities to Mile's.

Real World Answer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE

They also never established how fast glitching would kill someone, only that it would. Progression from onset to death could take years for all we know.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2019

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

hiddenriverninja posted:

Turns out the song is called "Want it Here" by Xenia Pax, but the full version isn't available for the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJKxwQ9b-g4

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
This shouldn't be this cute

https://twitter.com/cuteskittyart/status/1080540931378606090

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
My wife nudged me during the movie, and I looked over to find next to us a four year old boy, who was black, in Brooklyn, leaned over the empty seat next to us, mouth agape at the film's finale. It was a pretty ideal way to watch the movie.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Timeless Appeal posted:

My wife nudged me during the movie, and I looked over to find next to us a four year old boy, who was black, in Brooklyn, leaned over the empty seat next to us, mouth agape at the film's finale. It was a pretty ideal way to watch the movie.

This is so sweet

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Timeless Appeal posted:

:kimchi:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DC Murderverse posted:

Slashfilm posted an article about how the movie represents the "power of art". the article itself is pretty good but the whole thing is a great excuse to marvel at how literally every frame of this movie looks beautiful.

also they talk a little bit more about the alternate frame movement stuff and pointed out another really brilliant little thing:

they specifically kept Miles animated on the twos for longer to represent his relative lack of Spider-person abilities. dope.

It's a shame that they couldn't make the movie look good to reflect that. The visuals aren't beautiful, they're just complex. What they convey is completely pedestrian.

This is why you get so many reviews insisting that the movie is psychedelic, even though there's absolutely nothing consciousness-altering about it.

Timeless Appeal posted:

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God I hope they really lean into it for the Venom sequel and just make it a full-on intentional dark comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The movie is about a kid losing his individuality as his story is hijacked by others, and he turns into a consumer and then a product.

To you it may be. But to a four year old black kid it’s the only movie he’s ever seen with a kid who looks like him winning the day. So gently caress off in just one conversation of one thread with your bullshit.