Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Agoat posted:

Hot take: New attacker should have a dirt bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRfAtCRXzps&t=139s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsvsUK0e4W0

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Summoning of the Maps https://streamable.com/l87ll

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This game fuckin owns. But drat, as a newbie it's pretty complex.

Also, people are really finnicky. You make one wrong decision and they vote you off the team :(

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 3, 2019

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Also, people are really finnicky. You make one wrong decision and they vote you off the team :(

Yep. YouTube is your friend. I think VarsityGaming is helpful even though he's a young monotone dweeb. Just stay away from Get_Flanked, who will show up endlessly on your recommendations. He's a grifter with a terrible Philly (?) accent

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

He sounds pretty Southern to me, he says yall and everything.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Once you get level 20 you can stop playing casual and Q ranked where people can't vote kick. If you are on PC, you can add me for games - Extravadadza, but as a working dad I only play a couple rounds 2-3 days on weekdays and play a bit more than that on weekends.

I'm not that good (silver-gold rank) and I don't expect anybody to ever clutch anything, so I never get worked up or toxic.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

big boi posted:

Yep. YouTube is your friend. I think VarsityGaming is helpful even though he's a young monotone dweeb. Just stay away from Get_Flanked, who will show up endlessly on your recommendations. He's a grifter with a terrible Philly (?) accent

His tactic videos are fine (they are aimed for mid-level players) but yeah he has unfortunately gone to streaming full time and so you know what that means!!!! Clickbait hot takes with "reply in the comments" poo poo

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Know that i want you to keep playing the game and its super fun but theyll do this if you dont make a mistake too. Gamers are gaaaarbage

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, I ran into several batches of rear end in a top hat pubbies last night.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Please don't play RB6 with pubbies, it generally doesn't go well around 40% of the time which for me is just unacceptable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just play with goons. If you play on PC there is zero reason to subject yourself to pubbies unless you hate yourself.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Had this happen a couple nights ago. The rest of my team already got whacked before they could even set foot inside the building, then I geniusly hit my breach charge before jumping from the window and got instantly vote kicked for not managing to die in a more respectable manner(or acing it I guess)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I had a teammate shoot me in the head when I was using a drone from the spawn to find the hostage. Then initiate a kickvote.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I had a teammate shoot me in the head when I was using a drone from the spawn to find the hostage. Then initiate a kickvote.

Yeah, they're bad assholes

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
If you need people to play with, come hang out on The Breach. https://discord.gg/9aa8uzk

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

my kinda ape posted:

Just play with goons. If you play on PC there is zero reason to subject yourself to pubbies unless you hate yourself.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please don't play RB6 with pubbies, it generally doesn't go well around 40% of the time which for me is just unacceptable.

40% is huge. i'd say maybe 1/10 matches i play will have a toxic shithead in them that its hardly a problem anymore even with the free weekend smurfs taking advantage of their "lol ban me!" burner accounts

you know its crazy but uplay being its seperate thing turned out to be a good thing in the longrun for several reasons

...like the sheer number of username/avatar memes related to the game of course. but it has also allowed me to just add so many random yet chill pubbies that i've had good experiences with to my friends list so that i now have a pool of like 50 active players to tap into from at any time if i need to form or fill a group. and to keep it fresh i'll just mass delete the ones that i don't remember unless they have a funny name

there are several goon discords now and even a mumble still kicking but if you limit yourself to only playing like this you're going to find yourself falling into some bad habits

the main things i don't like about playing with goons is that the majority of them don't want to use the in-game mic which if playing with pubbies is kind of a problem because Siege works best when you actually talk to each other.

as someone that had a broken mic for a long time i would honestly get frustrated at times trying to play with people who could be great teammates if only they could hear callouts or even teach them stuff on the fly. being able to say "hey if you stand there much longer you're going to get shot at" is way more effective than typing it into a chat window they won't even read (in fact the best strat is to flood chat with nonsensical bullshit until you can get op4 to type enough that it gets them killed)

the other thing i don't like is that goons mostly avoid ranked or quit if they lose one single round because they still even look at which tier they're in despite the fact that its officially 2019

yet meanwhile, thats exactly where the pubbies with the best game sense and communication skills are. there are probably more people playing ranked solo now than in 5 stacks and if you que with a full group you're more likely to be put up against one of equal size. but its gotten to the point where MOST people just treat it like casual and it loving rules because it has exploded in popularity enough to the point where que times aren't terribly longer anymore unless it glitched out and needs a refresh.

tl;dr if you aren't simply playing for kills i think a big part of the enjoyment of this game comes from the social aspect but you absolutely shouldn't need to play with just goons in order to fully enjoy one of the most popular shooters around today.

it definitely helps though if you want to be carried because several of goons are good enough to help you keep that alpha pack spinner as low % as possible

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 3, 2019

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Yeah, I ran into several batches of rear end in a top hat pubbies last night.

Same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGORJBUUxiM

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When I started about a year ago the community was pretty chill for the most part. Even when I admitted I was a free weekender. It's changed a bit.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol is this Bird Box glitch real or next level viral marketting?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Polka_Rapper posted:

When I started about a year ago the community was pretty chill for the most part. Even when I admitted I was a free weekender. It's changed a bit.
Part of the reason might be that the more chill members are over on the fresh releases of Battlefield V, COD:Blackout and the rest of the big shooters that just came out. Last year, the only thing that was comparable and big in player retention was Fortnite.

Since it's so late in the life cycle, the folks still on Siege might either be truly dedicated or truly bored.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I usually solo queue because it isn't worth it to me to find a group if I only have time for at most 3 rounds. I'll join the discord and try to join a game sometime, though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Since it's so late in the life cycle, the folks still on Siege might either be truly dedicated or truly bored.
It's the hardest game I've encountered tbh. Should stay alive for a while because of that.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Converting holiday pack to siege money works now. Almost finished getting the starting operators over a year and £30 in buying points later! Starter edition lol.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's the hardest game I've encountered tbh. Should stay alive for a while because of that.

turns out having a low TTK in an arcade shooter that mostly takes place indoors and forces healers to ration their abilities is awesome

until the sound design and breach stuff starts to become industry standard i think siege is going to do very well so long as they keep pumping out fun maps

my biggest gripe with the game is that it could be SO much better if they didn't prioritze eSp0rtz in a way that effects the game. how long until there's a defender that can relocate the hostage? never because it would be a 100% pickrate since Ubi can't trust pubbies to let everyone do it even though it would make the best mode even better

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

There should be a defender that gets a deployable magnet that you could place next the the hostage to help fuse out.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Replace deployable shields with those kids/dog vests that retract when you press a button.

Give control of said vests to all 3 armor operators which then gives the ability to bring back all 2 or lower armor rating ops back to the point to defend at a moments notice!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they have these big intricate maps and the only reason the OBJ is glued in place is because it wold open a wormhole to a new dimension of tacticool rotations

at the very least, they should let defenders grab the hostage and move it to various corners of the room. also the bomb should be something they can move around in the designated room for attackers to find because the defense is already split in 2 and finding the defuser is a lot dumber than finding the bomb to defuse then putting a briefcase within 5 feet of it

edit: compare that to the existing method of there is a bomb already planted (because this isn't counter-strike) but you still just have to walk through the doorframe to plant the defuser then the defenders have to kill everyone and walk around to find it ("it" being the ~DEFUSER~ because this isn't simply copy/pasted from counter-strike)

Thief fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 4, 2019

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Thief posted:

they have these big intricate maps and the only reason the OBJ is glued in place is because it wold open a wormhole to a new dimension of tacticool rotations

at the very least, they should let defenders grab the hostage and move it to various corners of the room. also the bomb should be something they can move around in the designated room for attackers to find because the defense is already split in 2 and finding the defuser is a lot dumber than finding the bomb to defuse then putting a briefcase within 5 feet of it

edit: compare that to the existing method of there is a bomb already planted (because this isn't counter-strike) but you still just have to walk through the doorframe to plant the defuser then the defenders have to kill everyone and walk around to find it ("it" being the ~DEFUSER~ because this isn't simply copy/pasted from counter-strike)

*Teammate puts bomb next to window so attackers can plant outside*

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

that's really so much different than planting at the doorframe of Kafe/Consulate

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I got to do 10 man pick and ban today and it loving owned. It's super fun and everyone needs to try it!!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the one where there's no hud and cycled ammo mags is really fun too but organizing 10 person games takes so much effort. 5v5 recruits is chaos mode

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm continuously surprised cycled ammo mags isn't the default in a tacticool operator game like this one.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This game isn't really that hardcore, just more so than the very mainstream ones like COD and Battlefield. Play SWAT4 or Tarkov if you want cycled mags by default.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Old school Rainbow Six had cycled mags if I remember correctly right?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

BadLlama posted:

Old school Rainbow Six had cycled mags if I remember correctly right?

It did!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Thief posted:

the one where there's no hud and cycled ammo mags is really fun too but organizing 10 person games takes so much effort. 5v5 recruits is chaos mode

We set it up first come first serve on the server. We just send pings out and start when we have 10 people.

10 Man Recruit best mode

Edit: They need more event modes

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Siege is like a...strategic arcade shooter. The shooting mechanics themselves are fairly simple but the process of getting to the shooting can be very complex.

Cycled mags would be annoying as gently caress. As would bullets coming out of the barrel instead of out of your sight line.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

my kinda ape posted:

Cycled mags would be annoying as gently caress. As would bullets coming out of the barrel instead of out of your sight line.

Bad take. Bad.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It took over a year, but Battlefield 4 eventually got rid of eye bullets and it's still reasonably arcadey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, well, I'm level 17 or something, played like 20 hours (still unranked for some reason), watched most of the Varsity vids, and have spent some time with each base game Op. I think I've got my basics down. I feel most comfortable atm with Kapkan, Rook/Doc, Castle, Thermite and Sledge. I like Blitz but I always get owned when I use him, same with Twitch. I unlocked Maverick but he seems like he requires much better map knowledge than I have atm

Currently curious about unlocking Nomad, Zofia, and Ela.

I still suck at watching my corners, but hopefully I won't make the most glaring faux pas as much any longer.

I had been curious about this game for a long time but I'm not really into straight mil-sim stuff, and the mechanics seemed impenetrable. That being said, I was watching a Giant Bomb stream a few weeks ago and somebody described this game as GI Joe: The Game, and holy poo poo that's exactly what it is. As someone who used to obsess over the 4" plastic fuckers when I was a kid I can tell you that this is a particular flavor of 1980s mil fantasy that just really clicks with me in a humorous, even nostalgic way, even down to the character bios, pics, special abilities, and lack of narrative. There's probably something disturbing about that, too.