Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ll cop to liking him on snl and Dennis Miller Live back in the day but he’s poisonous to movies. Also, I suspect that the Tears for Fears song probably tricked me into liking Dennis Miller Live.

edit: I mean it’s pretty sweet:
https://youtu.be/ekCQyQXpQKs

The correct way to enjoy the song is in Real Genius form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1FMJdqqLiM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like Phantasm IV. :shrug:

Phantasm V though...

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

I like Phantasm IV. :shrug:

Phantasm V though...

It’s a bad movie, but I enjoyed it this time around.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Phantasm 5 is so bad that Coscarelli didn't even direct it. Like what the hell.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I didn't watch Ravager with the Joe Bob commentary yet but he went a long way towards making Phantasm IV more enjoyable than I remember it being the first time I saw it. He seemed to have a genuine love for Oblivion in particular and that kind of thing can be infectious.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It also makes Ravager seem much more nerdily endearing in the context of a marathon.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Went and saw Escape Room, which was essentially a cross between that Saw sequel where everyone turns out to be linked together by the insurance scheme and the Resident Evil movie where the locations keep shifting. Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There's some good ideas in Ravager. Like if they had expanded Reggie in the nursing home, and had him talking with The Tall Man, who may or may not have been a patient, I think that could have been interesting.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Went and saw Escape Room, which was essentially a cross between that Saw sequel where everyone turns out to be linked together by the insurance scheme and the Resident Evil movie where the locations keep shifting. Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.

Is there a scene where someone solves a riddle to find a key hidden in a sink?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hollismason posted:

Is there a scene where someone solves a riddle to find a key hidden in a sink?
Pretty much! Hahaha

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Forgot how fun The Autopsy Of Jane Doe is. Brian Cox can anchor just about anything.

Shame Emile Hirsch is such a piece of shirt IRL tho.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I love all the Phantasms, but 2 and 5 and tied with being the weakest for me. I didn't watch all of the marathon as I'd watched through them earlier in the year, but just in case Joe Bob didn't bring it up, part 5 originally started out as a web-series. Which is why it wasn't directed by Coscarelli and part of why it looks so cheap. I do think it's a fun time though.

I kind of think they'd be a better experience without Joe Bob just because they're all pretty slipshod from a narrative standpoint and having them interrupted every so often just breaks the flow too much.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The marathon was the first time I'd seen any of the Phantasm films past 3. I actually really enjoyed Oblivion. Ravager was obviously a mess, but Angus Scrimm was killer to the end.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Not anything great, but not as lame as I thought it would be either.
It's pretty good other one hideous jokey scene. They managed to make a very good PG-13 Saw knockoff and hosed around rather than wrapping it up.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Angus Scrimm is in the Subspecies film for Full Moon and no one notices he plays the dad at the beginning.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

Forgot how fun The Autopsy Of Jane Doe is. Brian Cox can anchor just about anything.

Hell yeah on both counts.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Angus Scrimm is in the Subspecies film for Full Moon and no one notices he plays the dad at the beginning.

I noticed but it'd be more surprising if I didn't notice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

s.i.r.e. posted:

lol, why the gently caress is Ong Bak coming to Shudder?

No idea but I ain't complaining, that movie rules.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ong bak is loving dope

SMP
May 5, 2009

Ong Bak is dope but I hope shudder doesn't lose focus as a primarily horror platform in favor of all genre film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

yeah i agree with that. Id totally pay for the shudder equivalent of martial arts/wuxia/samurai movies tho.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SMP posted:

Ong Bak is dope but I hope shudder doesn't lose focus as a primarily horror platform in favor of all genre film.
Looking at the Canadian schedule I was a little taken back at some of the titles - Eastern Promises, Enemy, No Country for Old Men, Only God Forgives... I don’t know how the US schedule differs (maybe those titles are way cheaper to get in Canada) but I wouldn’t label any of those movies as primarily “horror.” Not sure what’s going on over there.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

They do cult and Indy films as well it makes sense. Like all of Miikes gangster stuff is on there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Biggest addition on that list is The Changeling. A true must watch for any horror fan.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Changeling is fantastic

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

Looking at the Canadian schedule I was a little taken back at some of the titles - Eastern Promises, Enemy, No Country for Old Men, Only God Forgives... I don’t know how the US schedule differs (maybe those titles are way cheaper to get in Canada) but I wouldn’t label any of those movies as primarily “horror.” Not sure what’s going on over there.

I’m not arguing with your point that those movies aren’t really considered horror, but I heard an interview recently where the directors of The Endless were adamantly saying that No Country for Old Men is a slasher and I couldn’t believe I hadn’t thought of that before. It’s even talked about by people as if it were a slasher, with everyone focusing on the kill scenes.

Basebf555 posted:

Biggest addition on that list is The Changeling. A true must watch for any horror fan.

Fart City posted:

Yeah it’s amazing and one of the best haunted house movies ever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

I'm glad people like this movie here because I love it too. :)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It really struck me when I watched The Changeling how much the scene where Scott finds the boy's skeleton was very similar to what happens in The Ring.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kvlt! posted:

yeah i agree with that. Id totally pay for the shudder equivalent of martial arts/wuxia/samurai movies tho.

I bring it up every couple of months (probably even already in this thread) but definitely check out The Butterfly Murders on Prime. It starts out in an almost insultingly typical way, here in Martial World 72 powerful people vie for power etc., and then someone selling a fake (OR IS IT?!?!) story to a newspaper is bloodily ganked and strung up outside where the city's printing press is setup and it becomes an investigative murder mystery conspiracy by the reporter and some allies in claustrophobic surroundings but with and about wuxia stuff. It's an impressively dangerous feeling film despite how powerful the main folks are. And it has a *GREAT* masked killer, the movie predates Jason but this dude is literally like an Mortal Kombat ninja slasher monster so fans of either will dig it. I just wish the print was better because you can tell the colors were great in the exteriors and once they get to the movie's central location and I fuckin' love how this movie is lit. I also wish they somehow made more of them (since the movie isn't perfect but I personally do love it for its atmosphere and mystery) even if it would make no sense, who cares. Also historically important because it was Tsui Hark's directorial debut.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

It really struck me when I watched The Changeling how much the scene where Scott finds the boy's skeleton was very similar to what happens in The Ring.

Is The Changeling the first movie to do the spooky ball bouncing down the stairs thing?

edit: maybe not exactly the first I guess but I’ve not seen the earlier examples here:

https://youtu.be/iFgHPPAHUnM

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

No Country is a horror film, but the monster is a cold, uncaring universe where death is random and you have no control over events

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You could turn it into a Lovecraft film if you replaced the cartel with a cult, the money with some mcguffin, and changed almost nothing else

Edit: phone posting

Pomp fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 4, 2019

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Pomp posted:

No Country is a horror film, but the monster is a cold, uncaring universe where death is random and you have no control over events

Pomp posted:

You could turn out into a Lovecraft film of you replaced the cartel with a cult, the money with some mcguffin, and changing almost nothing else

Seems someone already wrote this very essay.

https://www.overthinkingit.com/2008/07/08/cthulhu-and-chigurh-separated-at-birth/

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The wheelchair scene in The Changeling was the scariest thing I ever saw as a kid.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

david_a posted:

I thought it was weird when they had The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo films available since I didn't think those were horror compared to a fair amount of the martial arts/wuxia films are equally horror. And joining in on The Changeling love, I saw that at the show back in the day and it's delightfully creepy. If I remember rightly, the kid who was cast as the murdered was chosen because he was able to hold his breath long enough during the drowning scene.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hell yes

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is definitely horror in the sense that we typically consider really dark serial killer stories to be horror. Throw in the bonus of the family of nazis and yea I think it's a pretty scary movie.

The sequels are less horrific but also feature a Jason-like monstrosity of an antagonist so you could count those as well.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Discussion: The Friday the 13th remake is actually pretty good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's pretty good. It's got everything you want in a Friday the 13th flick and isn't an overly serious piece of trash like the Nightmare remake.

It's also the first R-Rated movie I saw legally in theaters so it has a special place in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
It's fascinating how the Nightmare remake managed to make a movie about a dream controlling burned immortal knife fingered serial killer incredibly boring.