Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah they seem to have partly fixed PotD difficulty by removing the ability to break encounters apart by pulling mobs and breaking spawns. (Sometimes you can use this to fire off a LOT of disengagement attacks as mobs try to run across the screen to "join the fight," which is hilarious).

I've done a couple runs through the intro and you basically have to stealth past Gorecci Street and the drake now. The rest of the encounters are beatable with Eder/Xoti/PC but you have to be really sharp about positioning and weapon switching and using consumables.

Past that I don't know, you can generally do levels 5-9 or so just via non combat quests in Neketaka and I haven't ground that out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah they seem to have partly fixed PotD difficulty by removing the ability to break encounters apart by pulling mobs and breaking spawns. (Sometimes you can use this to fire off a LOT of disengagement attacks as mobs try to run across the screen to "join the fight," which is hilarious).

I've done a couple runs through the intro and you basically have to stealth past Gorecci Street and the drake now. The rest of the encounters are beatable with Eder/Xoti/PC but you have to be really sharp about positioning and weapon switching and using consumables.

Past that I don't know, you can generally do levels 5-9 or so just via non combat quests in Neketaka and I haven't ground that out yet.

Yeah that still works and there's a lot of quests tuned to level 10 so once you hit that you're basically always over leveled for quests if you do everything which makes it easier. Does up scaling even work? I know it breaks the journal because it thinks you're just scaling even if you've got 'only upscale' ticked, but encounters are definitely if I come back to them a level later.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Captainicus posted:

I tried POTD today with a new character, an eothas priest / ranger. Hired two adventurers at Port Maje, but tried a half a dozen times at the groceri street ambush and the digsite and couldn't beat them :v: This was without intentionally trying to gimmick the encounters by only pulling half the enemies, if that is a thing you can still do? Either way, I think I might just hop down a step to veteran.

Gorreci street is one of the hardest fights on Potd. Seriously, it is. It's brutal early.

I usually hire a merc when I get to Port Maje. I was able to beat that fight on my current run, but it required pulling them north west up near the house and then huddling there and using all the aoe heals/buffs/consumables that I could. I wasn't able to split the pull, but it's more manageable if you huddle tight and use everything you've got. If you try to just walk into the ambush, you'll get slaughtered.

Potd is a manageable but it requires using what you have at your disposal. You can't be lazy. At least, not early on. Eventually you get so much gear and talents that you can walk most encounters apart from the odd tough DLC fight, and that's with level scaling.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Planning on doing a potd run to see all the dlc and hopefully I'll be able to get over the early game hump by using all the good blessings.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Beast of Winter is pretty great.

The two top contenders for "World's Dumbest Cult" sitting right next to each other is great.

Going to find a cultist's sister and ending the quest with "Well, I'm convinced! Let's get you into that construct! is great.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Hawgh posted:

Beast of Winter is pretty great.

The two top contenders for "World's Dumbest Cult" sitting right next to each other is great.

Going to find a cultist's sister and ending the quest with "Well, I'm convinced! Let's get you into that construct! is great.

You're going to love The Forgotten Sanctum.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm getting a bit bored of SSS and want to move on to the Forgotten Sanctum. Will I be missing any incredible gear if I don't finish SSS?

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm getting a bit bored of SSS and want to move on to the Forgotten Sanctum. Will I be missing any incredible gear if I don't finish SSS?

Each of the Faces give you a special item for becoming their champion, but yeah. SSS is far and away the weakest DLC.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sinner Sandwich posted:

You're going to love The Forgotten Sanctum.

I think it’s the best thing in the game.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Do they let you join the circle if you play a wizard, by the way?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
^ You can have a discussion about it actually.

Finished Forgotten Sanctum - that's the best dungeon in either PoE1/2.

It's long, but the pacing is excellent; a few trash fights, spaced out with big (hard) setpiece boss battles, and lots of puzzle solving. Tayn and Llengrath are fun, plus there's a rest point and a store right at the entrance.

I ended up intimidating Wael into dealing with Eothas for me, I can't wait to see this new trainwreck ending.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Avalerion posted:

Do they let you join the circle if you play a wizard, by the way?

The funny poolchat in Arkemyr's mansion leads me to believe that no, you never get to be an archmage. Even if you end up out-magicking each and every Archmage in combat or whatever game they decide to drop you in.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Regarding being an archmage: Llengrath basically goes "yeah, maybe, after the game is over"

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Each of the Faces give you a special item for becoming their champion, but yeah. SSS is far and away the weakest DLC.

What does each Face give?

Also, a question: Which of the DLC “lock you in” until you finish, if any? Or can you freely leave and come back for all?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You can freely come and go from any DLC, with the exception of one area at the end of each that you have to clear to proceed.

Special items from the faces: A soulbound rapier from the Seeker, a soulbound battle axe from the Slayer, and a soulbound helmet from the Survivor

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The soulbound rapier for ciphers is kind of hilarious too.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Did we get a bad update? I keep getting blocked terrain where there shouldn't be. First in the Kraken's Eye where I couldn't walk across the room and now on the beach, a circle of invisible impassible terrain around half of my party.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm not running any mods.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I can’t seem to select Tekehus watery double to give it orders anymore. Not sure if that was a change post release or a bug.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
So I've booted the game up for the first time in a while, and I've got the DLCs from buying a season pass way back. Spoiler-free, which characters/sidekicks should I bring for each of them for maximum banter? I've heard Ydwin gets some stuff in BoW and Konstanten in SSS, and I'm guessing Fassina will have a say in the archmage one, but are there others that get fleshed out?

Also, what level should I attempt them at? I tried to pop into BoW a bit early to recruit Vatnir, and it turns out that that is not a good idea.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

There's a portion of BoW where it's nice to bring Xoti and Eder, and another section where bringing Tekehu might be interesting (I'm not sure about the latter, as I didn't bring him).

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The quest log itself now has an icon that shows you which companions you should bring.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I did it like you, except I hired an extra mercenary in Port Maje. I'm now level 8, barely touched Neketaka, did a few quests here and there and did some bounties. I'm not just yet at the steamrolling phase but getting close. My only other Deadfire run was at release, also on PotD and to be honest I don't really feel any major difficulty difference, except that yeah, you can't split packs anymore. I do have an objectively better party this time around though so that might be a factor.

What I need to do better now is to find the good Affliction synergies between the classes, automate everything through the AI and watch magic happen.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also, what level should I attempt them at? I tried to pop into BoW a bit early to recruit Vatnir, and it turns out that that is not a good idea.

I feel like it's around:

BoW - 16
SSS - 17
FS - 18

Maybe lower for not-PotD.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Alright, I want to give this another crack. I got about halfway through about 4 or 5 times but then lose interest.

Is it possible to do a stealthy monk? Sneaky tanky dude who kinda pops up from behind, lays in 20 punches before the other guy turns around and fights back? Any suggestions for that sort of build?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Ravenfood posted:

The soulbound rapier for ciphers is kind of hilarious too.

I’ve only tested that out in the console, but it’s pretty weird. The on-crit DoT looks like it could get really high, but it scales on your current focus, not the focus you had when you applied the hit. That means that in spite of seeming to be designed for a soul blade, it’s actually pretty bad for them since they tend to stay around 0 focus. It looks like it might be best for some kind of melee ascendant, which is an awkward build. I’ve been meaning to test an assassin/ascendant that uses the per encounter power from stealth on the rapier to build up focus really fast, try to poison a bunch of dudes, then spam spells at them while the venom melts their souls. I’d be curious to hear how the rapier has worked for other people, though.

H13 posted:

Alright, I want to give this another crack. I got about halfway through about 4 or 5 times but then lose interest.

Is it possible to do a stealthy monk? Sneaky tanky dude who kinda pops up from behind, lays in 20 punches before the other guy turns around and fights back? Any suggestions for that sort of build?

Any class can take the stealth skill, but it’s combat utility is mostly limited to setting up positioning and getting out your opening round of attacks more quickly (you recover faster after your first attack out of stealth). Only the assassin subclass gets a major bonus for attacking from stealth, though all rogues can get a boost if they pick the backstab passive. So you could make a shadowdancer (monk/rogue). I feel like assassin works better for casters, since it makes it much easier to land your biggest, most impactful spells when you need them. For a monk, I’d go like helwalker/trickster. You’ll have powerful defensive and control powers from trickster and massive damage from both classes. Toxic strike boosted by monk stat boosts is expensive, but will easily deal more than 500 damage to a single target. There’s a small shield for monks that scales with unarmed that, combined with trickster powers, will give you solid defenses in spite of helwalker’s typical fragility. This isn’t a stealth build, exactly, though you can use backstab to hit extra hard at the start of the fight. Rather, it’s an agile, mobile striker with high damage and good staying power, either through being really hard to hit, or through using fear effects that prevent enemies from fighting back.

Another good choice would just be a strict, single class monk. There’s no special synergy with stealth, but you have average durability for a front liner, and once you hit high levels, phenomenal damage output. The top-tier monk skill “whispers of the wind”, basically does what you’re asking for, even if it’s not directly related to stealth. You turn invisible and fly around the battlefield punching enemies really fast before reappearing. It has lots of weird, abusive side uses, like using it with twin shotguns to apply huge numbers of weak, low damage hits, then saying “you are already dead” and triggering resonant touch.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Any class can get a minor version of Monk fisticuffs, and priest of Woedica gets wolverine claws. That might have better cohesion with rogue than Monk.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't know if it still works but there used to be the raddest monk/ranger combo with frostseeker, lightning strikes, driving flight, and high accuracy. Your crits would just perpetually bounce around the fight, creating more crits.

Pure monk is a great choice if you want to be engaged but not have to fiddle.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Does anybody know what the cool down numbers actually mean in the AI? I'm trying to set up my ascendant to pop time parasite and secret horrors right after maxing focus and then just spam damage spells. Not sure what the intervals mean though, I keep getting recasts of those two spells mid-fight.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Nasgate posted:

Any class can get a minor version of Monk fisticuffs, and priest of Woedica gets wolverine claws. That might have better cohesion with rogue than Monk.

That’s a good point, and Woedican assassin is probably both very strong and very fun. Not too tanky, though. My opinion is that trickster pairs well with helwalker, since you get a lot of damage and defense from trickster, while the monk stat boosts really help your control and DoT on the trickster side. I don’t think assassin/monk has all that much going for it, though.

wiegieman posted:

I don't know if it still works but there used to be the raddest monk/ranger combo with frostseeker, lightning strikes, driving flight, and high accuracy. Your crits would just perpetually bounce around the fight, creating more crits.

Pure monk is a great choice if you want to be engaged but not have to fiddle.

Swift flurry no longer works with ranged weapons, so that combo no longer exists. High level monks can still get recursive crits, though no longer to the point where they just vaporize entire encounters instantly. Once you have heartbeat drumming and swift flurry, you can still hit 4-5 times in a row if your accuracy vs. deflection is really good.

I think your description of pure monk is really on the nose. It’s similar to the first game, where monk really hits a sweet spot in terms of micro required.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Furism posted:

I did it like you, except I hired an extra mercenary in Port Maje. I'm now level 8, barely touched Neketaka, did a few quests here and there and did some bounties. I'm not just yet at the steamrolling phase but getting close. My only other Deadfire run was at release, also on PotD and to be honest I don't really feel any major difficulty difference, except that yeah, you can't split packs anymore. I do have an objectively better party this time around though so that might be a factor.

How much the split pulling change affects PotD depends on the party you're running. I started out with a group with a lot of single target dps but mediocre support and AOE. This worked really well in my first go-round with the buffed PotD, but back then I was able to split/leash pulls and chip packs apart piecemeal. Now that kind of group just gets straight up overrun and for some places, like the Hanging Sepulcher, I've been forced to break out Herald Pallegina. Defenses are too high to just gib my way through entire packs fast enough to survive without significant support.

I may end up swapping Eder out for Pallegina as a permanent thing, even though I dislike Heralds.They're just too mindless. Stand there behind max defenses and let the passives roll. Yawn. But I need the sustain and Heralds have that in spades.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

That's a good point, and Woedican assassin is probably both very strong and very fun. Not too tanky, though.

If you want tanky, go Steel Garrote/Streetfighter instead. Paladin-level tankiness and Persistent Distraction will activate the Steel Garrote "heal when you damage an afflicted target" class feature on everything you engage.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pallegina was the companion I liked the least in Pillars 1, so I didn’t use her in my first Pillars 2 run. I am now playing it again with the DLC and wanted to bring her along, in hindsight getting her in my party and then immediately finishing the Bardatto/Valera storyline was a mistake since she immediately left the party after the fight. I suddenly remember why I didn’t like her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oasx posted:

Pallegina was the companion I liked the least in Pillars 1, so I didn’t use her in my first Pillars 2 run. I am now playing it again with the DLC and wanted to bring her along, in hindsight getting her in my party and then immediately finishing the Bardatto/Valera storyline was a mistake since she immediately left the party after the fight. I suddenly remember why I didn’t like her.

Why not just resolve the storyline the diplomatic way?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Captain Oblivious posted:

You loose out on most of the loot this way.

What you need to do is try to solve it diplomatically but fail, that way Pallegina won't leave.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Avalerion posted:

You loose out on most of the loot this way.

What you need to do is try to solve it diplomatically but fail, that way Pallegina won't leave.

Oh well. Not like there’s a shortage of loot in the game.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

It's possible to lose the ability to do this at all if you do some stuff in the wrong order, which is real stupid. I left that chain unresolved because I couldn't get the leaders to meet because I talked to the wrong one first.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

andrew smash posted:

It's possible to lose the ability to do this at all if you do some stuff in the wrong order, which is real stupid. I left that chain unresolved because I couldn't get the leaders to meet because I talked to the wrong one first.

You can get them to meet regardless of the order you talk to them in, I've done both iirc, it's just about what you commit to doing for them.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone know of good Pillars 1 or 2 LPs/streams outside of AngriestPat's?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That wouldn’t really fit the character I am playing. I could just have reloaded the game and removed her from the party, I just find it funny that she left my party after a single mission, one in which I was actually innocent and just defended myself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oasx posted:

That wouldn’t really fit the character I am playing. I could just have reloaded the game and removed her from the party, I just find it funny that she left my party after a single mission, one in which I was actually innocent and just defended myself.

Innocent or guilty don’t really matter to Pallegina. She’s not a moralist, she’s a nationalist. If you are a liability to the Republics she’s gonna drop you like a bad habit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Is there a good "middle-of-the-road" level of deflection that will mainly result in grazes/hits without generating tons of misses? I'm building a Fire Godlike Berserker/Darcozzi Paladini with the aim of stacking heavy armor and Barbarian armor talents, then wading into melee to have my fireshield/racial ability/whatever other retaliation I dig up supplement my (as fire-based as possible) melee damage.

Ideally i want to get hit a bunch to trigger the retaliations, but not so much I drop in an instant.