Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Uplay has grown on me a lot. I like the points you get for achievements that you can spend on little mini DLC bits. It’s certainly better than it was when it first came out and was just there as DRM.

Also streaming installs, and the ability to select language to install. (Thus not downloading+installing 2-10GB worth of language files you'll never touch. ) is nice.

It's also better now that their games are built for it, there was a really awkward period when their games came out on both CD, then later needed UPlay, like with Anno 2070.
(You have to manually download the patch + run it, otherwise the game just gets stuck in a boot-loop where it's trying to apply the DLC+patch and failing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SubNat posted:

Also streaming installs, and the ability to select language to install. (Thus not downloading+installing 2-10GB worth of language files you'll never touch. ) is nice.

It's also better now that their games are built for it, there was a really awkward period when their games came out on both CD, then later needed UPlay, like with Anno 2070.
(You have to manually download the patch + run it, otherwise the game just gets stuck in a boot-loop where it's trying to apply the DLC+patch and failing.)

As a client, it’s way better than Steam, which was boiling diarrhea the last time I used it. It may have gotten better in the last year, but that thing was so bloated and crash happy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Phlegmish posted:

First time I tried playing the Witcher 2 not long after it came out, I actually had to give up during the final fight of the tutorial because it was just too difficult for me. You have to fight a bunch of guys at once while you basically don't have any powers yet and you're still unfamiliar with the controls.

I've since gone back to it and beaten the game, but still, what were they thinking

e: yeah, I'm pretty sure my second attempt was the Enhanced Edition on Steam.

There was a point in that game where you're fighting as someone else in a flashback/vision/whatever with no powers and I was stuck on that 5 minute sequence for hours. That game's difficulty was uneven to say the least. I played an alchemy build which was weak and pathetic for the first 2/3s or so of the game but then all of the pieces fell into place and I suddenly became an unstoppable god. At least for fights where I was allowed to drink potions prior. It's fun how you can drink some potions and have them all run out during a 15 minute cutscene/dialog prior to a fight.

Deified Data posted:

I got the Bayonetta 2 port to Switch for Xmas and decided to play the first game before I start the second. I've never played the series before but more or less knew what to expect. Tons of personality, stylish combos, high learning curve are all a plus to me.

I have mixed feelings about being rated for my performance in games. I feel like recently Smash Ultimate did a good job of it in its Classic Mode, where the better you fight the higher your modifier gets, and the more of the mural you get to see. In Bayonetta I don't mind being rated for every encounter (I tend to score silvers most often with the occasional platinum), but what I don't care for as much is having my score dragged through the mud by failing touchy QTE's without warning, dying at least once per stage when I'd otherwise been playing decently well. I told myself I wouldn't care about my ratings since this was my first playthrough, but it may also be my only playthrough since I have Bayo 2 lined up neatly behind it. Thing is I honestly wouldn't care about the QTE's if I wasn't being rated on them lol, the game's checkpoint system is otherwise more than fair.

Fantastic game though, it's been a ton of fun.

If you think Bayonetta 2 is bad about this just wait until you play the first game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

There was a point in that game where you're fighting as someone else in a flashback/vision/whatever with no powers and I was stuck on that 5 minute sequence for hours. That game's difficulty was uneven to say the least. I played an alchemy build which was weak and pathetic for the first 2/3s or so of the game but then all of the pieces fell into place and I suddenly became an unstoppable god. At least for fights where I was allowed to drink potions prior. It's fun how you can drink some potions and have them all run out during a 15 minute cutscene/dialog prior to a fight.

If you think Bayonetta 2 is bad about this just wait until you play the first game.

Reread the post, he is playing the first game.

Also, yeah, the Witcher 2 has the worst difficulty curve in any game I can think of. It’s insane they shipped it with a tutorial that had players coming to a dead stop, often.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Sounds like they're playing the first game right now. Bayo 2 comes with both games.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Playing Bayonetta 1 felt a LOT like playing Devil May Cry 2, including everything that implies

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

oh dope posted:

I've seen runs that absolutely steamroll the final boss, but I'm pretty much convinced the game simply decides you're going to lose whenever it wants. For example, the last run I had as Defect was built on power cards and was pretty much unstoppable once it really got going. Of course the Act 3 boss is the Awakened One, which is the hardest counter to this deck there can be, (I somehow made it to his second form, but the cards i needed just didn't show up). My last several Silent runs were countered perfectly by The Time Keeper. Maybe i'm just bad at the game, but it seems like at that point in a particular run your deck is fairly specialized and there isn't much wiggle room, and the game says "Not this time!" and ends your run.

Unrelated to that, I'm playing Baldur's Gate 2 for the first time, and holy poo poo, I've been spoiled rotten by the modern iterations of this type of game. The game suffers horribly from a lack of frequent autosaves, dynamic cursors, fast travel options, and speed settings, to name several issues. The inventory system is just loving dire. Yeah, the game is older than the hills, I know, and it's the reason some of the games i do really like even exist at all. I also find the old school graphics charming actually. Unfortunately, i doubt i'll ever get far in this game because losing two hours of progress with an errant click is not something I'm willing to get accustomed to.

I got around this problem by playing it on diaper baby mode. I never need to worry about saving every screen because I'm never at risk of dying.

The real draw of the game for me is the plot and characters anyway, which don't require me to have mastered AD&D to enjoy.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Somfin posted:

No, but you don't need to have a perfect build as long as you're still making numbers you like go up.
Yeah, that's what makes it so good. And tons of challenge builds are really fun, I loved my SL1 or SL4 or whatever run. But bare-handed is really, really not fun, I think it's one of the only Dark Souls challenges that just isn't a good time.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oh dope posted:

I've seen runs that absolutely steamroll the final boss, but I'm pretty much convinced the game simply decides you're going to lose whenever it wants.
It's honestly just not that good a game. It has some cool ideas and it's addictive for a while before you start getting deeper into it and realize how random it is. The biggest issue is that while there's choices to be made in terms of builds and navigating the map, most hands play themselves - there's one obvious play order every time, and all you're doing is clicking it. You don't get to actually make a lot of moment-to-moment decisions.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

I should be more clear, I'm playing the first one now before I crack into the second since it came with the free download. I've actually heard some of these issues don't exist in 2, which I'm happy about.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Playing Bayonetta 1 felt a LOT like playing Devil May Cry 2, including everything that implies

Lets not say things we can’t take back

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
It's not really a little thing but what drags down Japanese games for me is how weird their publishers are at, well, publishing them. On PC especially, they'll announce something only to delay for no apparent reason like the PC port of Yakuza Kiwami. Or Cave shmups, there was this big (in shmup circles) deal about Cave catalogue coming to steam but it ended up being just 3 games. Or Treasure publishing Ikaruga on PC but not bringing Radiant Silvergun. Or Falcom not bothering with Cold Steel 3 and 4 even though 1 and 2 were some of their best selling games. Or them giving Ys 8 to NISA who hosed all of the ports and the translation beyond belief.

On consoles it's similar but it's mostly due to platform hopping. Like you have to get 3 different consoles to play 3 games in the series.

It's like they don't really have a strategy to bring their games to the west. Even if it's their own studios dealing with their own franchises (like Sega).

Terminally Bored has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jan 2, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
We just began reliably getting jRPGs and the like on PC some years ago, they probably don't really have a plan or metric to follow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

oh dope posted:

I've seen runs that absolutely steamroll the final boss, but I'm pretty much convinced the game simply decides you're going to lose whenever it wants. For example, the last run I had as Defect was built on power cards and was pretty much unstoppable once it really got going. Of course the Act 3 boss is the Awakened One, which is the hardest counter to this deck there can be, (I somehow made it to his second form, but the cards i needed just didn't show up). My last several Silent runs were countered perfectly by The Time Keeper. Maybe i'm just bad at the game, but it seems like at that point in a particular run your deck is fairly specialized and there isn't much wiggle room, and the game says "Not this time!" and ends your run.

It's entirely possible to beat Awakened One with a power deck or Time Eater with a shiv deck. It can be a pain in the rear end, sure, but you can outplay them by being smart about it. "There isn't much wiggle room" either means you're making your deck too specialized, not building combos anywhere as near as strong as you think, or you're not making use of all of your resources to the fullest - not only do you know the game is going to end against 1 out of 3 bosses every time, but you know which boss it is when Act 3 starts. If you make it to Time Eater with a deck that's just a bunch of shiv-generation cards and nothing else, then yeah, you messed up.

Now that said, it's both a deck building game and a roguelike...randomness is going to come into play on multiple levels and you can just plain get screwed over for reasons beyond your control. Even the most perfect deck can spit out all attacks on the turn you need to block or die.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, that's what makes it so good. And tons of challenge builds are really fun, I loved my SL1 or SL4 or whatever run. But bare-handed is really, really not fun, I think it's one of the only Dark Souls challenges that just isn't a good time.

I had a lot of fun playing DS2 barehanded with the ring that makes your fists powerful, but then 2/3 of the way through they patched bare fists to be both slower and use more stamina, which kind of killed bare fists as a viable weapon. It’s a shame, because pre-nerf it was one of the best gimmick runs I’ve tried.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I want to finish Hollow Knight with the better endings but goddamn all the optional content is just so miserable and unfun.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
i feel the same way about the seal the deal dlc in A Hat in Time. It is designed to be difficult but the combat in that game sucks and some of the challenges are ridiculously hard to even one star. Even with Peace and Tranquility it is still a pain in the rear end to complete.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Deified Data posted:

Yeah I might be one of the rare few who preferred Witcher 1 to 2 all around. Witcher 1 was solidly a PC game and played like one, jank and all. I never struggled to do anything that the game expected me to do. Witcher 2 however was a constant struggle between kb/m and gamepad, with no obvious winner or loser - both inputs sucked but each one had poo poo only it could do properly, like combat on the gamepad and menu navigation on kb/m. Up til then I had never played a game like that before. I was fine with the difficulty because spamming signs was easy but it was just all around an unpleasant game to play.

Yeah I just recently finished Witcher 1 and... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that game so hard. Not to mention that the Witcher game is to the books what Ready Player One is to the 80s. Every Single Bit of the story is cribbed from the novels, and not in a well-done way.

I found 2 more enjoyable as a game, but goddamn is that universe emotionally exhausting. Is it too much to ask to have a "good" dialogue option? Yes.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I want to finish Hollow Knight with the better endings but goddamn all the optional content is just so miserable and unfun.

Yeah, unfortunately most of the new content in the updates was ball-bustingly hard bosses/boss gauntlets. The entire Godseeker update was pretty much a wash. I thought the optional stuff in the base game was OK, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

Yeah I just recently finished Witcher 1 and... fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that game so hard. Not to mention that the Witcher game is to the books what Ready Player One is to the 80s. Every Single Bit of the story is cribbed from the novels, and not in a well-done way.

All 3 games have some issues with adapting the book materials, really. Like there's a bit in the books where Geralt talks about how it's screwed up women are forced to have babies sometimes while Witcher 3 has the bit with the evil aborted fetus spirit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, unfortunately most of the new content in the updates was ball-bustingly hard bosses/boss gauntlets. The entire Godseeker update was pretty much a wash. I thought the optional stuff in the base game was OK, though.

I'm grinding essence right now which is slow as hell

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

All 3 games have some issues with adapting the book materials, really. Like there's a bit in the books where Geralt talks about how it's screwed up women are forced to have babies sometimes while Witcher 3 has the bit with the evil aborted fetus spirit.

You are seriously misremembering that quest unless you’re trying to equate a woman miscarrying after being abused by her husband with a woman’s right to choose.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

I'm grinding essence right now which is slow as hell

You can get like a thousand straight up by doing the dream versions of the following bosses: False Knight, Soul Master, that thing in the ancient basin

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The Moon Monster posted:

You can get like a thousand straight up by doing the dream versions of the following bosses: False Knight, Soul Master, that thing in the ancient basin

Yeah....but that requires me to be better at the game than I am because all of those wreck me.

I am not good at this game but I don't remember SotN being so drat grindy when it came to getting the better ending.

I also still don't really feel stronger and I've got the second to last nail upgrade and I think almost all the masks. I'm liking the game but it falls just short of being amazing and instead if just pretty good

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

Yeah....but that requires me to be better at the game than I am because all of those wreck me.

I am not good at this game but I don't remember SotN being so drat grindy when it came to getting the better ending.

I also still don't really feel stronger and I've got the second to last nail upgrade and I think almost all the masks. I'm liking the game but it falls just short of being amazing and instead if just pretty good

SotN is, like, really easy, though.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

It's probably better to do the dream bosses instead of grinding out dream essence the slow way (which I didn't even realize you could do? I thought you had to do some of the dream bosses). Things don't exactly get easier after you move on from getting essence, so you may as well try to get used to harder content now. Getting the last nail upgrade will definitely help with those bosses, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Zinkraptor posted:

It's probably better to do the dream bosses instead of grinding out dream essence the slow way (which I didn't even realize you could do? I thought you had to do some of the dream bosses). Things don't exactly get easier after you move on from getting essence, so you may as well try to get used to harder content now. Getting the last nail upgrade will definitely help with those bosses, though.

I killed all the dream warriors and between that and the trees I think I'm needing less than 500. But yeah there's definitely nothing else to do but throw myself against one to get where I need to be.

If I really hated myself there's like a 5% chance of getting an essence by killing things but uh...nope

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
In the Witcher 3 expansion Hearts of Stone, there's a quest that nets you a set of good equipment and a trophy (if you're into those). It's currently bugged and if you happen to hit the bug, impossible to complete. It has been this way since, oh, 2015 or so. CDPR's response has basically been "we don't know how to fix it so uh try starting a new game or do the expansion on its own." Both of which are loving stupid options. It's basically sucked the wind right out of my sails for completing this game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So in an attempt to get better at Bayonetta I've decided to surrender to the fat guy trophy. Eat every death, use every item, and enjoy the game as glorious dumb fun. To do anything else would crater my enjoyment of the game, the perfection to continue getting silvers and golds too exacting to ensure steady progress.

This isn't a whine, and really I don't think the game's difficulty is a bad thing. I think it's just easy to get caught up in poo poo that doesn't matter and get mad at the game for ribbing you if you don't just give it all up. Maybe by the time I'm done I can play Bayo 2 somewhat competently.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Deified Data posted:

So in an attempt to get better at Bayonetta I've decided to surrender to the fat guy trophy. Eat every death, use every item, and enjoy the game as glorious dumb fun. To do anything else would crater my enjoyment of the game, the perfection to continue getting silvers and golds too exacting to ensure steady progress.

This isn't a whine, and really I don't think the game's difficulty is a bad thing. I think it's just easy to get caught up in poo poo that doesn't matter and get mad at the game for ribbing you if you don't just give it all up. Maybe by the time I'm done I can play Bayo 2 somewhat competently.

Bayo 2 is way better with that especially because there's no one-shot QTEs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Not a videogame, but this is maybe a better fit than the movie thread.

Is Jeopardy! actually a really lovely quiz?

The categories are amusing, and it moves at a decent pace, but the questions are so bloody dull. It also does this thing where the first half of the clue is overly complicated, and then the second half is really simple and obvious, so it gives the illusion of being hard when it's really piss easy.

Something like "composed of phosphates, sugars and one of four nitrogeneous bases, this three letter molecule contains all the genetic information of the cell"

If you know the first half then the second half is unnecessary, and if you don't know the second half you haven't a hope in hell of knowing the first.

If you could buzz in on the first half it would at least add some challenge/strategy, as you could use your specialist knowledge to answer before the other dudes.

It feels like the show just wants the illusion of being all in depth and clever, without actually trying to stretch the audience or contestants.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Is Jeopardy! actually a really lovely quiz?

It's a quiz show, so yes?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The categories are amusing, and it moves at a decent pace, but the questions are so bloody dull.

That's hardly the fault of the show, the contestants provide the questions.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Deified Data posted:

I played Bayonetta by going back to earlier missions and playing them in order to get those golds. I really liked the combat though and also Bayonetta’s scorching hot rig.

There’s a move you can do called dodge lag or something where if you dodge mid combo but hold the attack button down you will continue the combo once you’ve dodged. I recommend looking up a video on it. It’s not hard to do but I don’t think the game tells you that you can do it.

It makes it a lot easier to get those higher medals because you can start getting those Wicked Weaves and once you’re doing those you just shred

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Trying AC Origins after getting platinum in Odyssey. Beat everything in Siwa and now waiting for the rest of the game to install.

Half of the skills in the tree is mundane stuff that's straight up given to you in Odyssey, like being able to meditate or the right to buy crafting materials.

What idiot in marketing thought "Origins" is a better subtitle than the working-title "Osiris"?

The opening to the game is pretty terrible. It's obvious they wanted the action to begin immediately so they haphazardly cut between the past and present-day to establish the bad guys, Bayek, and his motivation between bouts. I wonder if Ubisoft is running out of revenge-plots having exhausted dead mothers, fathers, brothers, wives, nieces, and now sons.

I do like that level-scaling is optional, and that the game intends for you to clear every icon off the map unlike Odyssey's too large Greece.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ilmucche posted:

That's hardly the fault of the show, the contestants provide the questions.

Also the gimmick is dumb! Having to speak in an arbitrarily silly way is for drinking games, not quizzes!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Deified Data posted:

So in an attempt to get better at Bayonetta I've decided to surrender to the fat guy trophy.

Don't worry about ranks for first time through. Or even 2nd. You're still unlocking moves and items, the time to get plat is when you've got full unlocks.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the gimmick is dumb! Having to speak in an arbitrarily silly way is for drinking games, not quizzes!

why are you watching jeopardy sober?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What idiot in marketing thought "Origins" is a better subtitle than the working-title "Osiris"?
The same ones that thought Syndicate was a better title than Victory.

I still love that the game immediately after Origins was a prequel to it.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've always wanted to ask if, in the olden days, they actually respected their gimmick or used it in clever ways because I've only watched Jeopardy in the late 90s and early 00s and it always seemed to me that they just ask regular old questions but with a slight grammar quirk.

Was there any point where they actually "asked" an answer and people had to guess an actual question, or has it always been "James Joyce, final answer" "I'm sorry, the answer was 'Who was James Joyce', you are the weakest link, goodbye"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Trying AC Origins after getting platinum in Odyssey. Beat everything in Siwa and now waiting for the rest of the game to install.

Half of the skills in the tree is mundane stuff that's straight up given to you in Odyssey, like being able to meditate or the right to buy crafting materials.

The opening to the game is pretty terrible. It's obvious they wanted the action to begin immediately so they haphazardly cut between the past and present-day to establish the bad guys, Bayek, and his motivation between bouts. I wonder if Ubisoft is running out of revenge-plots having exhausted dead mothers, fathers, brothers, wives, nieces, and now sons.

I do like that level-scaling is optional, and that the game intends for you to clear every icon off the map unlike Odyssey's too large Greece.

I also played Origins after finishing Odyssey and the pacing definitely felt strange by comparison. Odyssey goes on for freaking EVER, but the story moves along at a measurable pace and there are enough twists and turns in each chapter to keep things interesting. In Origins, like 75% of the plot is loaded into two cutscenes in the back half of the game. It almost feels like it's missing an entire chapter that focused on all the stuff Aya was doing in the background, rather than only a couple cameo sequences where you play as her. Despite being the main protagonist, Bayek's impact upon the narrative didn't feel as important. I have to kill all these guys, no wait now I have to kill all these guys. Fun game though!