Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's at least some truth to this Ackerman stuff; Mikasa also seemed shocked when she suddenly slammed Armin down this chapter.

He attacked him on purpose, didn't he, to test out that theory on the Ackerman stuff? Doing that would seem out of character for him otherwise, at least to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
It's Eren's turn to destroy people with his mind powers.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Fhqwhgads posted:

He attacked him on purpose, didn't he, to test out that theory on the Ackerman stuff? Doing that would seem out of character for him otherwise, at least to me.

It's Bert's influence.

We don't know what the deal with Eren is fully, but the facts line up. In the end, it could be that right now he's incredibly pissed that his friends are being controlled by an external force.

Also, remember what Zeke told Eren during their first meeting?

BuhamutZeo posted:

Eren seems to be getting confused about some things.

Armin always tried to talk to people before taking a route that involves titans, or even violence. Hell, he tried to talk Bertold down at the climax in Shiganshina before he ever ate him.

Armin looked for the solution that would get the least amount of people hurt, but always offered the best plan no matter how heartless it was. He didn't like what it said about him as a person, but he couldn't help it - he was just too smart, and deep down willing to contemplate, and go through with, all options.

Post-timeskip Armin has lost that edge. He hasn't contributed anything; Hange alone has been left to plan all of the Survey Corps' moves.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Conspiratiorist posted:

Post-timeskip Armin has lost that edge. He hasn't contributed anything; Hange alone has been left to plan all of the Survey Corps' moves.

But it seems like Armin and Mikasa have both been left out of a lot of the behind the scenes stuff due to their relationship with Eren. If neither Hange or Eren are telling Armin what he needs to know, he can't make good use of his intellect. I don't think Armin's the problem, I think it's Eren not trusting his friends anymore. They used to be a unit, now it's just Mikasa and Armin.

Armin seems more uncertain than anything to me, and that's because he's not being told anything.

Edit: I'd also like to say that it's especially lovely of Eren, if what he's saying is true, to hold this against Armin to such a degree considering that Eren is the one who forced the serum on him.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 8, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
This includes stuff prior to Eren going rogue, judging from the flashbacks, and Armin is used to operating in the dark - his contribution has always been putting things together, to predict and react to both his enemies' and allies' moves.

The Survey Corps' has always operated in the dark.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Yeah that's a good point.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I remembered this page from chapter 104, where they're discussing how Armin came up with the evacuation plan, and Hange asks whether he's been possessed by Erwin, so Armin definitely still comes up with at least the occasional crazy, Erwin-esque plan for the SC:

Also, I'm firmly in the "something is going on here" camp. "I hate people who aren't free" doesn't sound like Eren to me. My money's on him doing the pushing people away thing someone mentioned, or, the theory that it's someone else's will could fit, too. Looking at Eren and Frieda side by side, it seems way too similar to be coincidence, especially for someone who had Titan-Dina apparently planned from the start.

JahRoo posted:

This line is what always struck me as weird, and I think if we assume Eren is telling the truth about Ackerman stuff that it's the same thing. I don't think it's a power that literally stops them from hurting hosts at all, just something that activates in the heat of the moment. At least in this context it was just to stop the killing blow, not to stop damage altogether.

Yeah, I thought that moment was really strange - we've seen Levi kill plenty of people before. Whatever the Ackerman compulsion might be, it also definitely didn't prevent Levi from leaving Bertolt to be eaten by Armin. Or telling Erwin - who probably would have been his imprint/"master"/whatever at that point - to lead the suicide charge against the Beast Titan.

tldr; this all owns and I wait with breathless anticipation each month.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Just to get back to Our Man Floch, do you think we get a scene of him torturing Hange next chapter? Starting with the fingernails would be rather poetic, I feel.

...and then even if Hange tells him what he wants, he just keeps going anyway because he enjoys torturing people, just to provide contrast. :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

:chloe:

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.
Sneak peek at next chapter fanart by https://nelldya.tumblr.com/, there is a healthy dose of Braun yaoi, so browse at own risk

https://i.imgur.com/DgLQI9s.png

Taikuri fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Dec 9, 2018

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Here's another one: While we never see the act on-screen, it's pretty odd that a killer as accomplished as Kenny completely failed to kill Uri who without his titan is just a middle aged dude.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

So the question becomes why were the Ackermans hunted to near extinction if they posed no threat to shifters? Perhaps the First King ordered it so that when Marley came knocking later down the line there wouldn't be anyone there to defend him?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I don't think they pose NO threat to Shifters. If they want to kill a shifter they probably can, and it's probably even easier if they're aware of their inhibition. This isn't a perfect restraining bolt. It's just an instinctual thing which is presumably stronger if you actually like the person and want to protect them anyway. Mikasa stopped Armin from punching Eren, but then didn't continue to restrain him after the first table-slam. Either just because she's too overcome with dismay and grief, or because even she acknowledges that Eren deserves to have have his poo poo slapped. I don't know what would happen if she tried to fight him, but if she did, the fight might be close enough that Eren's comrades would actually need to break it up.

This isn't an ironclad instance of the 1st Law of Robotics or something.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 9, 2018

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

You can really see multiple Eren personalities at play in the EMA meeting. He walks in ready to titanize in case either of them tries anything, the second Mikasa takes her hands off the table he yells at her to put them back, but then he allows Armin to fight him and throws him into a bunch of glass (allowing him to titanize if he wants) and starts to ignore Mikasa after that. Mikasa poses zero threat to him without her blades, so why is he so terrified of her? Armin is the real threat, especially if he is able to titanize since I find it unlikely Eren is going to survive a point-blank tactical nuke. One of the titans he ate must be absolutely scared shitless of Ackermans to be more scared of her than Armin. Perhaps it's Zeke's influence if that's going to be a thing.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Armin was not a threat there, Mikasa was. Armin isn't going to transform in that space and kill all his friends along with Eren, that's ridiculous. Eren as a character even mocked him about that very thing in this chapter

The only reason he had that threat was to make them not try any attempt to actually escape and go where he wanted them to go. Without that threat, there was a high chance of Mikasa attacking his subordinates.

Taikuri
Mar 6, 2009

So it doesn't try to shitpost or anything?

Nope, it just lurks there. Completely harmless.

Captain Cappy posted:

the second Mikasa takes her hands off the table he yells at her to put them back ... so why is he so terrified of her?

He is not. He did not yell at her, just calmly told her to keep hands on the table. He is just asserting dominance over the conversation by controlling their position, not allowing them to freely move.
He did not care after Armin punched him, because by then he is in complete control of the situation.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

You still clearly don't have any kind of sane grasp on what this story is going for with your absurd genocide boner, quote these posts at the end of the manga if you still think you're right and this was a story about how great genocide was all along.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol if you still reply to KC and his hosed up projections of his weird fetishes.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I think Eren feels guilty about Armin and Mikasa. Freedom has always mattered more to him than to anyone else and without realizing it at the time he was the one responsible for stripping Mikasa and Armin of their freedom (remember Levi was deadset on giving Erwin the injection until Eren blurted stuff about Armin's dreams which caused Levi to re-evaluate who should really continue living).

I think he wants to break the bonds they have to him so that when poo poo starts really going down they can each make their own choices about how to react rather than just instinctively protecting their friend.

Eren could even be suicidal.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Viridiant posted:

My guess is that what Eren told Mikasa is only half true. Ackermans certainly imprint on people and develop an instinct to protect them which also awakens their powers, but who they imprint on has less to do with blood and more to do with who they develop feelings for.

No doubt and the imprint isn't foolproof. Eren is just loving with them though to make sure they don't put up a fuss; everything was either a half truth or slanted.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This chapter is a real theory breaker. The first king's pact seemed like something unique to only the founder titan, but now everyone is slightly bound by the will of past titans and Ackermen. Makes me think back to Kreuger and Grisha's line "To save Mikasa and Armin you must control this power". Maybe the power they're mentioning is the Attack titan's secret ability and not the founder. Maybe Ymir pre-destined the downfall of Eldia and all shifters inherit the mistakes of their ancestors to bring forward this prophecy, but only the Attack titan has the power to overcome this destiny.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I don't think there's even as much confusion there as people are reading into it - Eren says the Ackermans were created to protect the king, not that they can only ever imprint on inheritors of the founding titan. In fact in the very next speech bubble he says "once an Ackerman recognizes someone as their master" implying that it's not guaranteed who they would consider a master. And obviously as had already been pointed out, Levi bonded to Erwin who was never a shifter at any moment.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Super Rad posted:

I don't think there's even as much confusion there as people are reading into it - Eren says the Ackermans were created to protect the king, not that they can only ever imprint on inheritors of the founding titan. In fact in the very next speech bubble he says "once an Ackerman recognizes someone as their master" implying that it's not guaranteed who they would consider a master. And obviously as had already been pointed out, Levi bonded to Erwin who was never a shifter at any moment.

And yet he let Erwin die

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well there was a schism between the ackermans and the king too, so obviously they can do that kind of thing

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Onmi posted:

And yet he let Erwin die

Presumably there's a way for Ackermans to question their bond otherwise Eren wouldn't have bothered explaining the whole thing - during the serumbowl Eren points out how crazy it was of Levi to hesitate to give the serum to Armin saying something along the lines of how could he possibly have anticipated that Floch would bring him the dying body of Erwin right then and there and it does seem to have an effect on Levi. it takes some more prodding from Eren but you can kinda see the gears turning in Levi's head about what the right choice is as if he's questioning his nature.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Fact: armen is a punk and Erwin should have gotten the serum

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I hadn't read or watched this series for over a year but just got caught up now and holy gently caress, did Eren spend the whole timeskip inside Armin's rear end, cause he is the most colossal piece of poo poo

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Bifauxnen posted:

I hadn't read or watched this series for over a year but just got caught up now and holy gently caress, did Eren spend the whole timeskip inside Armin's rear end, cause he is the most colossal piece of poo poo

Hah, yeah he really has turned heel all of a sudden. Hopefully there will be more exposition in regards to his change. He became the most cynical person all of a sudden from our perspective.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
No he's the collosal titan

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Yeah Eren really stinks right now

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Peacoffee posted:

Yeah Eren really stinks right now

he's actually super good now that he's finally dropped all pretense, he owns

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I really like the direction the manga has gone over the last few chapters, not because I share Kerning's juvenile nihilism fetish but because it's a neat subversion of expectations. I do hope there is eventually some redemption, I always prefer a happy ending, but I've gotta admit that the twists and turns in characterization are really fun and interesting to follow.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the author did say he decided on a more optimistic ending than what he'd originally planned on, didn't he?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kerning Chameleon posted:

he's actually super good now that he's finally dropped all pretense, he owns

Same

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The new chapter is out.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/attack-on-titan/en/0/113/page/1

ZepiaEltnamOberon