Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Real hurthling! posted:

When did they do that?

Season 2 of Tekken optionally lets you mash 1 or 2 to get a basic combo, though turning this on obviously limits your moveset

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I reinstalled SFV and it's actually fun now. The training mode is really well done. What the gently caress is happening to me.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

What’s fun outside the training mode? Is there a fun character?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

b_d posted:

Kolin is fun and Falke, Ryu, Alex, and Sakura are characters now. Juri still sucks.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I’ve been burned before... maybe I’ll check it out if I haven’t uninstalled it since last time.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

chumbler posted:

Kolin is fun and Falke, Ryu, Alex, and Sakura are characters now. Juri still sucks.

Alex may be stronger than he’s ever been in any game ever now, it’s cool

The change log for juri was hilarious.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's still SFV. It's not worth the download.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

b_d posted:

Bison is cool. A lot of his moves are plus on block and feel good when they land and I like his movement options a lot. I mostly reinstalled it because a friend who I'm trying to encourage to like fighters more was asking if there are any modern fighters I'd be willing to play because all I've been playing with him is 3rd Strike from the 30th anniversary collection. I'd rather be playing Crosstag or Guilty Gear but he just doesn't like anime stuff and i figure Street Fighter V would probably be a decent bet especially considering he has basically no frame of reference to any other fighter except maybe IDK older Mortal Kombat games.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

ROFL Octopus posted:

Alex may be stronger than he’s ever been in any game ever now, it’s cool

Unless he's winning majors, that's not true.

TvC:UAS Alex is the only version of him to not only NOT be low-tier, but also drat near top-tier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ultramega posted:

Bison is cool. A lot of his moves are plus on block and feel good when they land and I like his movement options a lot. I mostly reinstalled it because a friend who I'm trying to encourage to like fighters more was asking if there are any modern fighters I'd be willing to play because all I've been playing with him is 3rd Strike from the 30th anniversary collection. I'd rather be playing Crosstag or Guilty Gear but he just doesn't like anime stuff and i figure Street Fighter V would probably be a decent bet especially considering he has basically no frame of reference to any other fighter except maybe IDK older Mortal Kombat games.

Just play Super Turbo with him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who cares if it's new. This random guy that you wanna introduce the genre to isn't going to locals and being sponsored by an energy drink.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

chumbler posted:

It's impressive how trash Juri is compared to the rest of the SFV cast. Although Tira in SC6 is giving her some competition.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

In Training posted:

Who cares if it's new. This random guy that you wanna introduce the genre to isn't going to locals and being sponsored by an energy drink.

I like Street Fighter 5, and in general I don't think it'll put somebody off the series. It seems at higher levels and keeping at it for a long time is when SFV seems weaker, armchair take here. Or at least, there's no harm in trying it. And speaking of opinions on fighting games, I thought most preferred the feel and nostalgia of CPS1 Street Fighter II? Super Turbo, not my first choice, goes to show Street Fighter is a very personal thing.

Third Strike is the best one, we all know that, and Alpha 3 rules. Really, just play some CvS2 on a Dreamcast, why not.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jan 5, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Third Strike? more like Turd Whipe.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Tekken, more like... toothbrush? Keeping the bathroom hygiene metaphor thing going here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well. Listen. If you are a sentient human being and you like th eway buttons feel in SFV, I think you should try playing literally any other fighting game ever. Is the point I'm trying to make. It's a joke. It doesn't take a rocket scientist, it takes somebody with a pulse.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You were making fun of Third Strike too, which goes to show your science here is more like Weird Science, the hit movie. I play SoulCalibur VI, I know a thing or two about living life.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

In Training posted:

He's a close friend who just started developing an interest in these sorts of games and I figured SFV would at least be a good way to introduce them to him before he pops off the training wheels and finds an actually good fighter.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not to derail, and we're both semi-pro SF5, but when you say your friend isn't into anime stuff... do you mean he hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop? Fighting games, that's one thing, as long as he does like Cowboy Bebop, or some 90s anime.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Ultramega posted:

He's a close friend who just started developing an interest in these sorts of games and I figured SFV would at least be a good way to introduce them to him before he pops off the training wheels and finds an actually good fighter.

Introduce him to Breakers :getin:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ROFL Octopus posted:

Introduce him to Breakers :getin:

If it turns out they don't even like 90s anime, it'd be like showing the Mona Lisa to the Terminator.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Get into fighting games the old fashioned way: playing KoF 98 on keyboard in WinKawaks

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Not to derail, and we're both semi-pro SF5, but when you say your friend isn't into anime stuff... do you mean he hasn't seen Cowboy Bebop? Fighting games, that's one thing, as long as he does like Cowboy Bebop, or some 90s anime.

He doesn't like airdashers is what I mean.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

get your friend to play SC6

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

https://twitter.com/ItsMFAhere/status/1079548347919134720

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I love most things about SFV at its core but I’ve let everyone else’s opinions cloud that and now the game gives me such a bad vibe that I don’t even try to learn it because I’m an idiot. Also I don’t care about playing locally and the online has always scared me off.

Brother Entropy posted:

:yeah:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Heavy Metal posted:

I like Street Fighter 5, and in general I don't think it'll put somebody off the series. It seems at higher levels and keeping at it for a long time is when SFV seems weaker, armchair take here.

:agreed:

SFV has always felt fine to pick up and play, if you're not playing for money or even that seriously at all, I almost guarantee you'll never notice most of the bandwagon-ier gripes.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I love most things about SFV at its core but I’ve let everyone else’s opinions cloud that and now the game gives me such a bad vibe that I don’t even try to learn it because I’m an idiot. Also I don’t care about playing locally and the online has always scared me off.

Don't let people being assy make you feel like you have to not like a game you do.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

chumbler posted:

Juri still sucks.

She's been completely fine since season 3, she's just extremely middle-of-the-pack. Her big problem is she has 50 tools to punish fireballs in a game with only one fireball character though, and that's never going away.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

ugly rear end claymation looking motherfuckers

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Brother Entropy posted:

Not an emptyquote. It's the best that 'calibur has ever been.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yardbomb posted:

:agreed:

SFV has always felt fine to pick up and play, if you're not playing for money or even that seriously at all, I almost guarantee you'll never notice most of the bandwagon-ier gripes.

Don't let people being assy make you feel like you have to not like a game you do.

I usually don’t ever but it really got to me with SFV somehow. I think it’s because it’s impossible to not see the shitposts everywhere when looking for tutorials/combos/whatever. I do have my own issues with the game but I should probably try to rewire my brain to like it again. Mainly now that the ads are gone :lol:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoubleDonut posted:

Get into fighting games the old fashioned way: playing KoF 98 on keyboard in WinKawaks

Bonus points if it's running at half speed because you're on a lovely Pentium II clone

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I considered soul calibur 6 but I played it at this big charity event for gaming in my area and it just didn't click with me so I might watch some tournament streams but it doesn't interest me at all.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Even if you think that the gameplay of SFV is good and fun, literally every other aspect of the game is a trashfire

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Arzachel posted:

Even if you think that the gameplay of SFV is good and fun, literally every other aspect of the game is a trashfire

The cash shop stuff and the way online has been handled is dumb as gently caress but I like the rest

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ultramega posted:

I considered soul calibur 6 but I played it at this big charity event for gaming in my area and it just didn't click with me so I might watch some tournament streams but it doesn't interest me at all.

Everyone's got bullshit which is fun once you wrap your mind around it.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Heavy Metal posted:

You were making fun of Third Strike too, which goes to show your science here is more like Weird Science, the hit movie. I play SoulCalibur VI, I know a thing or two about living life.

The Fighting Game Thread V: I play Soul Calibur VI, I know a thing or two about living life

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

who cares doa6 is coming and im stoked to rip poo poo up as lei fang

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Play the games you like. If people were not gonna play games because someone else told them they were bad, Zand alone would've destroyed 99% of all FG communities. SFV is kinda rear end, but it can be your rear end! Wait, that sounds weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

In Training posted:

Everyone's got bullshit which is fun once you wrap your mind around it.

I played an unhealthy amount of SC2 back in the day so I'm vaguely aware of some of the filthy poo poo characters can pull. 3D fighters just don't appeal to me anymore.