Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

RichterIX posted:

Not that I want them to raise prices, but I think boutique sellers' bread and butter is people who would buy their poo poo regardless, although most people here seem to wait for sales so I dunno how much stock they end up moving at full price.

I wish that everyone had the yearly, half-yearly, or even the monthly pre-order options like Vinegar Syndrome does. It really is nice to get a box full of movies every month, and even the few that I"m not thrilled about, or didn't like a whole lot, have kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

wa27 posted:

UK Amazon cancelled my Zatoichi order. :(

Mine too :(

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

It's just hard for me to imagine the math working for the smaller companies. Like, you either have to include a UHD disc in every case along with the regular blu ray, OR you sell two different versions of the same movie. Both options mean more cost for potentially not very much extra return. I mean, yea you can charge a bit more for UHD but I'm not sure they'd sell enough of them to justify it. Maybe in some very special cases like Robocop it makes sense but you don't get into UHD just to release a single film in the format.
I can’t imagine the cost of the disc itself being that big of a deal (aren’t UHD discs the same as BR just with different content?), but I have no idea what the price breakdown of a physical release is. I figure there’s got to be more licensing fees involved and increased overhead on the production side due to everything being higher quality / larger (need bigger scans, takes longer to clean up, need faster computers, etc).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

wa27 posted:

Same. gently caress's sake.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

I can’t imagine the cost of the disc itself being that big of a deal (aren’t UHD discs the same as BR just with different content?), but I have no idea what the price breakdown of a physical release is. I figure there’s got to be more licensing fees involved and increased overhead on the production side due to everything being higher quality / larger (need bigger scans, takes longer to clean up, need faster computers, etc).

Yea I'm referring more to the increased overhead where it's questionable how you'd make up for that increase. Like, you're selling X amount of copies already, does including a UHD in the same case actually bring anyone new to that party? Or if you release the UHD separately, are there enough people in that market to cover the costs of that? I don't know the answer but my first guess would be no. At least generally speaking, which is what they'd be looking at when making a decision like that. Sure, maybe you can sell lots of UHD copies of Robocop but that's not the typical Arrow release.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

wa27 posted:

Make that 4 in the cancelled Zatoichi club

I’ll just have to settle with the Classic Universal Monsters set

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I wish that everyone had the yearly, half-yearly, or even the monthly pre-order options like Vinegar Syndrome does. It really is nice to get a box full of movies every month, and even the few that I"m not thrilled about, or didn't like a whole lot, have kept me entertained for a couple of hours.

I wish I could afford to do those pre order bundles. I did one once and it was awesome.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Island Nation posted:

Make that 4 in the cancelled Zatoichi club

I’ll just have to settle with the Classic Universal Monsters set

Reason number 500 on why I hate Amazon. If anyone still wants it, this summer may be the last time you can find it for a reasonable price.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I'm referring more to the increased overhead where it's questionable how you'd make up for that increase. Like, you're selling X amount of copies already, does including a UHD in the same case actually bring anyone new to that party? Or if you release the UHD separately, are there enough people in that market to cover the costs of that? I don't know the answer but my first guess would be no. At least generally speaking, which is what they'd be looking at when making a decision like that. Sure, maybe you can sell lots of UHD copies of Robocop but that's not the typical Arrow release.
Are there any UHD releases that don’t also come with a normal Blu? That seems to be the standard.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Liar Lyre posted:

Reason number 500 on why I hate Amazon. If anyone still wants it, this summer may be the last time you can find it for a reasonable price.

Too late. It's already at £140.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

Are there any UHD releases that don’t also come with a normal Blu? That seems to be the standard.

Yea, by major companies who don't have to worry as much about an incremental increase in overhead costs. I guess I just always assume that companies like Criterion and Arrow are constantly operating right at the edge of profitability and can't really afford to take chances like that. Maybe I'm wrong.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Vagabundo posted:

Too late. It's already at £140.

Well that’s about right. The retail is $200. Im not looking forward to when it hits $400-600

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I think I used up an entire life’s supply of luck a few years back when Amazon accidentally listed that set at $25, didn’t cancel my order, accidentally sent me two without charging for the other one, and then told me to keep the duplicate for free.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just found out I have until Jan 15 to return my UHD player I purchased back at the end of November. I bought the LG UBK90 and while it certainly works fine for discs, I'm not really happy with the performance and the remote sucks.

Whenever I'm using Netflix, I'm getting constant dropouts while on the menu. Also, the remote inexplicably doesn't have buttons for changing the audio track or angle. To get to menus, you have to press a different button and then select an on-screen option before it'll show the disc's menu. And while it's not a deal breaker, I don't like how I'm unable to look at the specs. On my PS3 and even my Sony all-region Blu, I can check to see what format the video and audio are in, the avg. bitrate, and the resolution.

I also got a raise and just got paid, so probably will splurge for a premium player now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sony have always loved those live specs, even my first DVD player back in 98 or 99 had that feature.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Warner Archive has a 4 for $44 sale going on:
https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warner-archive-4-for-44

Some Blu-ray highlights:

Night Moves - Awesome 70s neo-noir with Gene Hackman
Gun Crazy - One of the best noirs ever.
Joe Versus the Volcano
The Big Sleep
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (in the Batman: TAS set, though)
The Green Slime
Time After Time
Out of the Past
Ride the High Country - Early Sam Peckinpah western
Suspicion - Hitchcock noir with Cary Grant and Joan Fontaine
Dark Passage - Neat noir with Bogart and Bacall
The Hunger
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Super Fly
The Hanging Tree
The Hudsucker Proxy
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
The Loved One
Yankee Doodle Dandy
The Picture of Dorian Gray
42nd Street - Awesome Busby Berkeley musical
The Americanization of Emily
Performance
Susan Slept Here - Goofy Frank Tashlin comedy
Billy Budd

and some DVDs worth getting, despite being DVD:

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde (1932)
Classic Shorts from the Dream Factory Vol. 3 - has all the early-30s Three Stooges shorts, including the formerly lost Hello, Pop
Twice Upon a Time - Includes both audio tracks and a commentary
The Lost Squadron

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

It's just hard for me to imagine the math working for the smaller companies. Like, you either have to include a UHD disc in every case along with the regular blu ray, OR you sell two different versions of the same movie. Both options mean more cost for potentially not very much extra return. I mean, yea you can charge a bit more for UHD but I'm not sure they'd sell enough of them to justify it. Maybe in some very special cases like Robocop it makes sense but you don't get into UHD just to release a single film in the format.

I mean, I could see Arrow doing it simply because they get so many cult classics that have been consistent sellers on other formats; it would be less "UHD just for one movie" and more "UHD for like 10 or 20 movies."

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 4, 2019

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
This came up in the Criterion thread- smaller outfits like these haven’t stopped making DVDs, so if they got into UHD they’d be in the position of supporting three formats at once. The big studios can afford to put out three SKUs for one title but it may be a bit much for smaller ones.

Granted that’s just conjecture on our part, I don’t have Criterion’s balance sheets in front of me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, if manufacture-on-demand UHD discs are ever a thing, that'll probably change the calculus pretty significantly.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This came up in the Criterion thread- smaller outfits like these haven’t stopped making DVDs, so if they got into UHD they’d be in the position of supporting three formats at once. The big studios can afford to put out three SKUs for one title but it may be a bit much for smaller ones.

Granted that’s just conjecture on our part, I don’t have Criterion’s balance sheets in front of me.

This seems pointless to me because it seems like people who still care about physical media and especially those buying from the boutique labels would be buying blu-rays only.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 4, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

CPL593H posted:

This seems pointless to me because it seems like people who still care about physical media and especially those buying from the boutique labels would be buying blu-rays only.

You would think so, but Criterion's attempt to go fully dual-format a few years ago ended up costing them, because they underestimated how many DVD-only customers would just stop buying.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Origami Dali posted:

You would think so, but Criterion's attempt to go fully dual-format a few years ago ended up costing them, because they underestimated how many DVD-only customers would just stop buying.

I would assume a large portion of Criterion's DVD sales are also libraries/education institutes too, something that Arrow can probably be less concerned with. I'm definitely on the side of boutique labels probably won't dip into UHD, but if there ever was a good one to test the waters for smaller labels, Robocop is the one. It could even be subsidised by MGM/Sony, because it'd probably be a decent seller.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think DVD customers were at fault as much as Blu-ray customers complaining about the DVD disc. That's at least what I was seeing at Criterion Forum and Blu-ray.com. Even though in most cases, it made zero difference in price. It's sort of like how I bought 2001 before I bought a UHD player - even if I didn't get one for a while, the Blu-ray would hold me over until later.

Though, Criterion is definitely going cheap on DVDs now. For example, the DVD editions of The Princess Bride, sex lies and videotape, second printing of Vampyr, and DVD-only Red River are all in regular plastic cases. You have to buy the Blu-rays to get the nicer packaging (and in the case of Vampyr and Red River, the book). Even the Von Sternberg/Dietrich set is packaged in plastic thinpaks in a cheaper slipcase compared to the digipaks of the Blu-ray edition. They also changed The Golden Age of Television to a 3-disc keep case instead of a digipak for the second printing.

I think UHD is going to be something Criterion does only for very specific titles. Wes Anderson, Terrance Malick, maybe Playtime, and the few other large format titles they have access to like One-Eyed Jacks and Richard III (both VistaVision). Maybe Spartacus if Universal doesn't do it themselves.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The fact that I just can't simply walk into any old store and pick up a copy of Joe Vs. the Volcano on Blu-ray is a crime. The Man with Two Brains even moreso.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

The fact that I just can't simply walk into any old store and pick up a copy of Joe Vs. the Volcano on Blu-ray is a crime. The Man with Two Brains even moreso.

I'd be content if there were just any single store that still sold movies at all. Best Buy used to be a loving Candyland of movies and now they just have a lovely little corner that's 95% Marvel movies.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CPL593H posted:

I'd be content if there were just any single store that still sold movies at all. Best Buy used to be a loving Candyland of movies and now they just have a lovely little corner that's 95% Marvel movies.

The only big box store that still has more than one rack of movies now is Barnes & Noble, and even the vast majority of their selection is either Criterion or UK TV. Walmart, oddly enough, has probably the second best selection but it’s 1/2 DVD or bargain bin blus.

I miss the halcyon days of being able to choose from giant selections at Borders, Best Buy, Fry’s, and Hastings. :sigh:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only big box store that still has more than one rack of movies now is Barnes & Noble, and even the vast majority of their selection is either Criterion or UK TV. Walmart, oddly enough, has probably the second best selection but it’s 1/2 DVD or bargain bin blus.

I miss the halcyon days of being able to choose from giant selections at Borders, Best Buy, Fry’s, and Hastings. :sigh:

The Barnes and Noble in my area doesn't sell movies at all.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah same the one in my new town doesn’t. The one in Florida I lived near had a huge selection though that would put all the other stores to shame.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm past the fact that they don't carry a big selection of movies anymore, but what annoys the poo poo out of me is that you can't even expect release dates to be adhered to anymore because I guess they just really don't think anybody gives a poo poo. But I have a Best Buy that's like 5 minutes from my office and it's super convenient to stop there on my way home so sometimes I see something coming out on a particular day and I swing by expecting to be on the shelf. When it's not they always look at me like I'm being an annoying rear end in a top hat for asking them to go get it from the back.

We're talking like The Matrix here, not some obscure indie film. But they're used to just putting the new releases out on the shelf whenever they get around to it because I'm probably the only weirdo who ever comes in there asking for specific movies.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I went to Fry's for the first time a month or two back and was surprised how sizable and varied their home video collection was in 2018, right down to the giant novelty Hershel Gordon Lewis Blu-ray box set sitting there on the shelf. Bought a copy of the Arrow Video release of Brain Damage. Respect.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
If you bought the 4K 2001 Steelbook from Best Buy, you can get it price matched for $10 cheaper to itself on bestbuy.com.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Ended up swapping the LG for a Sony UHD that turned out to be $40 cheaper. Not only cheaper, but adds Dolby Atmos and Hi-Res Audio while still having Dolby Vision.

Since it was cheaper, I grabbed the E.T. UHD, as well as $6 Blu-rays for How to Marry a Millionaire (second CinemaScope feature ever released), the original The Fly, Miller's Crossing, Cavalcade, and How Green Was My Valley. Almost got The Last of the Mohicans except it seems like a prime title to revisit for UHD, which isn't going to happen with any of the other titles I picked up.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Basebf555 posted:

I'm past the fact that they don't carry a big selection of movies anymore, but what annoys the poo poo out of me is that you can't even expect release dates to be adhered to anymore because I guess they just really don't think anybody gives a poo poo. But I have a Best Buy that's like 5 minutes from my office and it's super convenient to stop there on my way home so sometimes I see something coming out on a particular day and I swing by expecting to be on the shelf. When it's not they always look at me like I'm being an annoying rear end in a top hat for asking them to go get it from the back.

We're talking like The Matrix here, not some obscure indie film. But they're used to just putting the new releases out on the shelf whenever they get around to it because I'm probably the only weirdo who ever comes in there asking for specific movies.

I started doing store pickup because of this-- it sidesteps the staring at me blankly because I assume they stare at the computer screen blankly while I'm not there instead.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I found out about this box set today which is a really good deal because each of these movies individually are 23 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/TKO-Collection-Takeshi-Kitano-Blu-ray/dp/B07HSX3D2V/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546658236&sr=8-2&keywords=takeshi+kitano

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

I found out about this box set today which is a really good deal because each of these movies individually are 23 dollars:

https://www.amazon.com/TKO-Collection-Takeshi-Kitano-Blu-ray/dp/B07HSX3D2V/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1546658236&sr=8-2&keywords=takeshi+kitano

That's Region A, right?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

CPL593H posted:

Man, I've got Violent Cop and have been eyeing off the others from Film Movement. This is nice.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

That's Region A, right?

Yes. I wasn't even aware there was a region A blu-ray of Hana-bi until I happened to look up Violent Cop earlier.

I, Butthole posted:

Man, I've got Violent Cop and have been eyeing off the others from Film Movement. This is nice.

For the price it wouldn't be the worst thing to buy this set because you're basically getting one movie for free and you can offset the cost a little by selling the extra copy of Violent Cop.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
A Kitano box of 10 or so movies is one of my dream releases, but the US rights are all over the place.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fun fact: the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge DVD box sets go for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.

And they're worth every loving penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

caligulamprey posted:

Fun fact: the Most Extreme Elimination Challenge DVD box sets go for hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.

And they're worth every loving penny.

:eyepop:
I think I bought mine at a Hollywood Video store closing sale for like $4 each