Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way, don't expect an update this week. Takin' a break for the holidays/I WORK RETAIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edvarius posted:

Not just live in the past, live in the past with a boy at the general location her family's shrine will be located. Let's face it, girl is her own ancestor.

Yeah, that's generally what I always assumed was the end result of that (and it doesn't even work as a stable time loop as the Shikon Jewel no longer exists at that point).

Robindaybird posted:

Honestly, Takahashi has a huge issue about ending series, Ranma 1/2 despite being a comedy series also shows a lot of signs of the mangaka's refusal to actually progress the plot in any way. It says something the only person in that series that got their romance issues resolved is Ryoga, the main couple? Nope.

Hell, Inuyasha is one of the few series I've seen where even the manga has filler arcs (two of which were never actually animated in any form, one being a one-shot chapter involving Sango and a medicine man and another being a bonus chapter Takahashi made after the manga was already finished).

Speaking of which, is Rumiko Takahashi still in the business and was the manga she made after Inuyasha any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 19, 2018

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Apparently she had a series that ended in late 2017 called Rin-Ne, so she was active until recently. And I have no idea if that's good or she plans on doing another series after that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Merry Christmas from a point in Japanese history where Christmas is illegal.

Expect updates to resume in the new year.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh hey, I just found this thread, neat! I have an embarrassingly borderline encyclopedic knowledge of Inuyasha from watching it all the time on Adult Swim back in the day and it's neat to see one of the games that sprung out of it. It's not as neat to find that the game looks to be not great and all the characters are assholes. Godspeed, sir.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Larryb posted:

Honestly while I still enjoyed the series I feel like Inuyasha in general had some interesting concepts but probably could have been better handled if it had been done by someone other than Rumiko Takahashi (no offense to her but the thing is she's primarily a comedy writer and not really suited to something like this). It also could have ended at least 100 chapters sooner than it did.

I've actually always heard Maison Ikkoku is Takahashi's overall best work. It's a rom com in manga form but not Ramna levels of gag series.

Anyway, I love Inuyasha. I consider it my first anime in spite of having seen DBZ and Pokemon first because they were so heavily Americanized. Inuyasha received a very faithful and good dub and launched my never-ending love of Japanese media. That being said, IY was way too long and repetitive. I still think it has a lot of good parts and it's remarkably different from most shounen battle series as it's far more about characters and relationships than fighting. Also the OST for the anime is so loving good.

Anyway, I'm glad I found this LP. I never played any Inuyasha video game although I think my GF has this. Gonna enjoy watching this through to the end.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Another day, another demon-filled road with nothing interesting in it.

And here we are. Let's get to the bottom of all this nonsense.

"Kaede's Village"

....Ya think?

It's the biggest city around here and they sell pretty much everything you need for traveling.

Hey, do you think they sell any juice here?

I can't find any specific history of the consumption of fruit juice in Sengoku Japan, but there were several juicable fruits naturally growing in Japan at this point, so yeah, maybe Shippo could get like some peach or grape juice. Also it's entirely possible that Kagome coulda brought some juice boxes from the present.

Though Inuyasha's reaction kinda trends towards no.

There sure are a lot of people here.

Yes. I think we should split up and ask around.

I feel like if we're going to ask around town about someone who looks like me, splitting up won't help since the others won't have....me as reference.

It'll get dark before we can ask everyone.

It is night at about two points in this game overall.

So, we'll ask around and then meet back here?

Right. The city is big, so be careful not to get lost.

Let's buy some healing items, I guess.

Down to the south, there's an entrance to the back alleys which are kind of a maze but the solution is piss easy. We'll worry about this later.

A question mark!

Woman: We're finally alone together, but...

Kid?

Woman: Oh, you're such a loser! We finally get to be alone together, but...

Yeah, whatever, let's look at this wanted poster.

Man: There's wanted posters of this kid all over the city. I wonder what the kid did? Huh, it really looks like you.

Looking at the poster itself...

Me? Where?

Jinkichi: I've seen you somewhere before...Hey, it's the girl on the wanted poster!

"Cutscene 2"

That's not true!

Aw gently caress cheese it.

gently caress.

Jinkichi: Don't let the kid get away.

So I keep being told, but I have rights! Where's my katsudon bowl?!

Ow, stop it! Don't be so rough!

"Cutscene 1"

For some reason, the village headman gets a unique sprite and portrait despite being about as meaningful to the story overall as the three villagers who attacked us in the beginning.

W-Wait a minute!

Huh? What is it?

I think you have me confused with someone else. I haven't done anything. Besides, I just came to this world.

This world? What are you talking about?

Yeah, it's the same world. Different time. Keep up.

Well...The fact is I have done nothing that you can accuse me of.

I don't know, but Kagura definitely wants us to catch you.

You wouldn't know her. She's a messenger from the castle.

W-Well if we wouldn't know her, why does she want us?!

Well, then she's got me confused with someone else.

Yeah!

Are you crazy? The messenger made a mistake? No way. Impossible! Stop your strange talk. And wait in jail until Kagura arrives.

"Sadness"

Ah gently caress.

He didn't say Kagura was the one they were looking for, he said that Kagura was looking for us. The presence of Kagura doesn't change anything, god.

And they put me in jail. I shouldn't waste my time complaining. I need to get out of here. But how?

Well, this wall is kinda blue.

Look at the color of this wall. Is it Serpentine rock?

O FLAME BURNING BRIGHT

I did it! I've got to get back to Kagome quickly.

"Kaede's Village"

And we're outside the headman's house. We can't go to the right because that's where the wanted poster is and we'll just get caught again. So now we have to navigate the maze of back alleys.

So if you just flail around, you're gonna get completely lost, but the solution is incredibly simple.

You just keep going down for a few screens...

Until you see this fella.

Then go left a couple screens.

And we're out.

Now, there is literally nothing pointing you towards that route, you're just supposed to figure it out. Game design.

I know. Because of those posters I got caught by the village headman.

I thought so. Well, I'm glad you made it back safely.

But I wonder why there's wanted posters of you?

I know. It seems someone named Kagura brought them here.

Kagura? Could it be that Kagura?

"Cutscene 1"

You know her? They said she is a messenger from the castle.

Yes. Do you remember the story about the shards of the Shikon Jewel?

The thing that makes demons stronger when they use it?

Yes, that's right. There's an evil demon named Naraku that can't wait for a chance to get his hands on the Shikon Jewel.

There's also like....a lot of other poo poo involved, but that's a story for another game.

An evil demon?

He likes to bully and hurt people. He's evil.

I've fought him many times, but he always escapes. He's the most evil demon of all.

I see.

So they don't actually explain what this means, and I suppose a refresher is always good. Naraku is less a single demon and more of a collective hivemind of like a thousand demons, and he splits himself off into separate beings to do his bidding. Kagura is one such.

Female incarnation? Does that mean Kagura is bad too?

She uses the wind and possesses the dead. She's disgusting.

I see. But why is she looking for me?

If they went as far as putting up wanted posters of you, maybe it has something to do with you coming to this world.

I agree. It sounds like something Naraku would do.

IT REALLY DOES NOT HE IS KIND OF A DIRECT ACTION KINDA GUY

Well, since Kagura's on her way here, we might as well stick around.

Yes. I want to find out what this is all about.

"Kaede's Village"

And here we are. This doesn't seem like a good idea.

Yeah I don't....know why we thought this would work.

Oh no! They're gonna catch me again.

Let's escape to the edge of the city for now.

I just really wanna know what our plan of attack there was.

Gaaah. Why do I have to keep running away?

A very good question, you could have used your big sword to stop that samurai man.

Well, they're humans. It's not like you can fight them.

Yeah, you're right, but...

Hmm. It doesn't seem like we'll be able to meet Kagura.

What to do?

What?

From what we've seen...if you say that you caught me, you can easily get into the headman's house.

That is literally nothing we've seen. You only got into the headman's house last time because the literal police got you.

Right.

That's pretty risky.

Yeah, and it could be dangerous, too.

Kagome, that means the same thing.

It's pretty dangerous to take you right into his house.

That's weird of you to say because that's literally what we just tried anyway.

But...

Wait a minute. Hey, Shippo, why don't you transform yourself?

What?!

Wait a second.

Even if they tie you up and put you in jail, you can still get out if you have to.

It seems I always get the worst end of the deal.

There's no one else but you, Shippo, that can do this.

Really?

Yes. Will you do it, please, Shippo?

Alright! I'll do it!

That's us in the hakama.

This is kinda weird.

R-Really? Then no one will be able to see through my fox magic?

You've come this far and you're scared now?

Inuyasha, you should stay here for now.

Okay, but be sure to call me if anything happens.

Inuyasha can't do it as well.

He's just a half-demon.

Hmmm.

Anyway, I think he would just get caught if he tried to transform himself. It's better that way.

I agree.

I found the girl on the wanted poster. I came to turn her in.

Genkichi: Hmmm? I see. It's the girl on the wanted poster. Come inside. Wait over by the white sand.

Yes, I'm glad we got through smoothly.

It's all because of MY acting!

Yes it is.

No it's not! The only reason we did this plan was because Shippo could more easily get out of jail! And we're just going in without Shippo going to jail, so why not just pretend to turn the normal me in?

And next time, we'll get to the bottom of all this.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 4, 2019

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, do you think they sell any juice here?

I can't find any specific history of the consumption of fruit juice in Sengoku Japan, but there were several juicable fruits naturally growing in Japan at this point, so yeah, maybe Shippo could get like some peach or grape juice. Also it's entirely possible that Kagome coulda brought some juice boxes from the present.

He has to be referring to juice boxes that Kagome brought. This is long before canneries or pasteurization (obviously). Although wine is ancient, the first regularly made juices came about during the 16th century (in a commercial sense I mean).

Grape wine production wasn't a thing in Japan until 1870 even though grapes were a thing, so it's not like the people in the Sengoku Era would have been making juice to ferment.

I guess there could have been people making juice, but if they were doing so and selling it as a regular thing then I would imagine there would be some historical record of it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Jinkichi: I've seen you somewhere before...Hey, it's the girl on the wanted poster!

That's not true!

Aw gently caress cheese it.

gently caress.

Jinkichi: Don't let the kid get away.

And this is the reason why you don't allow a confused girl from a different time period to just wander around on her own through a feudal era city. The gently caress is Kagome thinking? Is Kagome jealous of Anime because now she isn't the only cute future girl in the group? Is she secretly trying to get Anime killed?

Waffleman_ posted:

Yes, I'm glad we got through smoothly.

It's all because of MY acting!

Yes it is.

No it's not! The only reason we did this plan was because Shippo could more easily get out of jail! And we're just going in without Shippo going to jail, so why not just pretend to turn the normal me in?

Not only that, but Anime is running in there anyway. Why bother with the whole song and dance if she's going right in there with you anyway? Even if they did stick Shippo in jail, they would loving notice the giant hole blasted in the cell and the former prisoner absent. Shippo is also wearing completely different clothing from the incredibly unique and strange clothing that Anime wears, for no reason at all. It's not like he can't reproduce that style of clothing, he does it with Kagome's.

This whole plan is stupid and they should all feel bad for going through with it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

oh boy, they really didn't loving care for this part of the game - probably got a 'check off Shippo shapeshifting' for a mandatory bit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, after this little scenario, the game's story ACTUALLY starts.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013
Boy, it sure is convenient that the prison walls contained high amounts of the stone Kururugi's powers work on!

OK, to be fair serpentine isn't exactly the rarest stuff and it's entirely possible the magic that can use the stuff would be practiced in an area that has it in abundance. But it still feels like a cheap cop out to have it just happen to be lying around whenever needed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Well, good news: This is about the last reference to serpentine rock in the entire game. I think there's like one or two more in the endgame, but don't quote me.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Edvarius posted:

Boy, it sure is convenient that the prison walls contained high amounts of the stone Kururugi's powers work on!

OK, to be fair serpentine isn't exactly the rarest stuff and it's entirely possible the magic that can use the stuff would be practiced in an area that has it in abundance. But it still feels like a cheap cop out to have it just happen to be lying around whenever needed.

The worst part is, that entire scene was pointless in the first place. Anime could have escaped from the mob wanting to drag her in, then the group could have gone with their Shippo plan to see what was happening and it would have made some sense. Anime getting tossed in jail only to immediately escape has achieved nothing from a narrative standpoint. I mean, we know Kagura is supposedly involved, but it's not like she's there right this minute. The group would still have reason to investigate even without her possible involvement because people in this time period have wanted posters out for a girl that only came into existence like a week ago.

It's all pointless dammit! :argh:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So we're here in the headman's place, and there's a weird droning noise...

What?

I hear a strange noise.

Look! A bug! I circled it because...it's kinda hard to notice.

Huh? What are Saimyosho?

They're the Saimyosho that Naraku uses. If they're here, Kagura must be, too.

VERY HELPFUL EXPLANATION

It's definitely Naraku's female incarnation, Kagura.

If the Saimyosho are here, then we've probably already been found out.

Probably.

OH NO DEMONS

Aaahh!

They found us out!

About time.

I saw the Saimyosho fly by, so I came right away. It was exactly as I thought. Bring it on!

We fight them, it's completely umremarkable. Thank you, next.

That demon was no problem. But it's no good sticking around if the Saimyosho are here.

Yes. Both Naraku and Kagura can see what the Saimyosho can see.

So, if the Saimyosho see us, that means Naraku and Kagura will know we're here?

That's exactly what she said, yes.

Yes. That's why I think Kagura already knows we are here.

The last three lines in a row have all been literally the same thought.

It's dangerous, but I guess that's our only option.

Here I come. You better get out of the way!

Inuyasha looks pretty excited about this.

That's because he loves to fight.

So we head into the house. The party lineup has changed slightly so now Kagome is our tagalong, neat.

That's not good.

Is that the headman?

Help me.

He really doesn't deserve our help, but something isn't right.

Oh ! He's surrounded by demons!

Hold on a minute. I'll help you.

Another fight against normal enemies.

Don't worry about that. But, what are you doing here?

HE LIVES HERE! THIS IS EXPLICITLY HIS HOUSE! THAT'S WHY WE'RE HERE!

I was tricked by that Kagura woman. I had no idea the castle's messenger was a demon.

Huh, Kagura. Where is she now?!

She's just ahead. She tried to feed me to the demons.

Just ahead, huh. Alright, let's go!

It's dangerous here, so you should hide.

We head a little deeper in and find this lady.

I found you, Kagura. I knew it was you.

Meet Kagura, who the headman had NO IDEA was a demon.

I thought I heard noises. It was you guys.

So, you're Kagura. Why are you trying to capture me?

So, you're the girl.

Did you summon me into this world? If it was you, you'd better send me back.

Now, why would I do something like that?

You're pathetic as always. I'm gonna cut you to shreds. Got that?

Go ahead! as always, you're such a mutt.

Okay, so boss fight. As you can see, Kagura has two little demons next to her. This ties into one of the few strategies in this game. Kagura will normally do Dance of Blades, which is a very nasty attack, but if you kill both of the demons, she'll waster her turn bringing them back, giving you a break.

I wasn't entirely sure if it was working and so I didn't do it. It was still pretty easy, though I did have to spend a lot of time healing.

Inuyasha please control yourself.

drat! How could I let that happen?

Are you ready to die, Kagura?

Wait a minute, Inuyasha. We have to ask Kagura about the wanted posters.

Yeah, you're right.

Oh no we're in the Shadow Realm. I left my deck at home!

Huh! What was that?!

A shikigami?!

Aaah!

Is that a Shikigami? Utsugi?

Shikigami? It's like mine, but it's completely different in size.

A weird lady!

Naraku has sent someone to help me. Don't expect any thanks.

Stop! You'll be sorry if you get in my way.

Be careful, Inuyasha. I don't think this is your typical demon.

I don't care what it is. I'll destroy anything that gets in the way. Wind Scar!

Oh, a mask. I wonder if it has any curses.

drat it. It didn't work.

It was so easily repelled.

Now it's my turn.

Take it easy, Inuyasha. You're hurt.

It's only a small cut.

Your wound...it's beautiful. It's like the setting sun.

What are you talking about?

Yeah, what ARE you talking about? For the record, Utsugi never says anything like this ever again.

Wow! Was that the power of the Shikigami? Who are you?

I should note that if you are playing as Michiru, Utsugi is a man and the only difference is that his clothes are blue.

Huh. Me? What are you talking about?

drat it! Get out of the way!

I see. Kagura, I've completed my mission. I'm leaving.

Fine.

Hey wait!

But I think she may know something.

With no help from you.

Are you blind? Can't you see they just ran away.

Don't be so cross. He's a victim too.

Thank you for your understanding. I had no idea the messenger from the castle would be a demon.

You said that and I honestly doubt it.

I am so sorry for what happened to you.

That's okay. The evil ones are Utsugi and Kagura. Don't worry about it anymore.

Oh! You are so forgiving. You are such an angel.

Okay, little much. Kinda uncomfortable now. Can we go back to Kaede?

I think that may be taking it a little too far.

Come on, you really are kind.

1. I didn't actually say anything, so why are you talking like I tried to deny it? 2. Even if I am kind, that doesn't mean headman's not being a creep.

Thanks, Kagome. That's nice of you.

... (voiced as a giggle) From what Utsugi and Kagura were saying, it seems there's a connection between Naraku and your being brought into this world.

It's too bad I wasn't able to ask, even though they were right there.

You explicitly DID ask and they refused to answer.

Don't give up. I'm sure there will be another chance.

Yes. And I doubt Naraku will be leaving us alone.

Well, the next time I'll finish the job.

I agree, let's head out.

WHAT IS IT NOW

Hey, it's the headman. What do you want?

Yeah, it's weird that the headman is here at his house where we just talked to him less than a minute ago.

It's not much, but please take th

Money?

Wow! There's quite a bit here. We can buy lots of sweets now!

But...

It's okay. Take it.

It comes from good intentions. I think you should take it.

Okay then, I will accept it. Thank you, Headman.

You know, Headman, you may be a gormless, gullible, creepy, worthless cop gently caress, but at least you're rich and I can exploit your hoarded wealth to be used for good.

And with that, we're heading back to base to figure out our next plan of attack. See you then.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 12, 2019

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

To be fair to the headman, the only real physical "tell" that Kagura is a demon are her pointy ears, which could be fairly easily overlooked. And technically her red eyes, which aren't very common anywhere (let alone Japan), but this is anime so :shrug:

Waffleman_ posted:

[Up6Ses1Img016]
Broken image tag?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dunno how a 16 got there instead of a 13.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Help me.

He really doesn't deserve our help, but something isn't right.

Don't worry about that. But, what are you doing here?

HE LIVES HERE! THIS IS EXPLICITLY HIS HOUSE! THAT'S WHY WE'RE HERE!

Oh! You are so forgiving. You are such an angel.

Okay, little much. Kinda uncomfortable now. Can we go back to Kaede?

I think that may be taking it a little too far.

Come on, you really are kind.

1. I didn't actually say anything, so why are you talking like I tried to deny it? 2. Even if I am kind, that doesn't mean headman's not being a creep.

Thanks, Kagome. That's nice of you.

... (voiced as a giggle) From what Utsugi and Kagura were saying, it seems there's a connection between Naraku and your being brought into this world.

It's too bad I wasn't able to ask, even though they were right there.

You explicitly DID ask and they refused to answer.

There's a lot going on in this update. A lot of stupid, anyway.

1. That's awful harsh Anime. The man was doing his job. Kagura tricked him by claiming to be a messenger from the castle, but to be perfectly fair, she DOES look like someone who would be working for the castle. She's not exactly wandering around in peasant/worker clothes.

Besides, who is the man going to believe? Someone who claims to be from the castle, carrying a bundle of wanted posters, and looking to apprehend a very suspicious person? Or the mysterious girl wandering around in a clothing style that won't be invented for close to 400 years from now, who also rambles about being from another world?

2. This is just... Anime, did you hit your head while you were breaking out of that jail cell? Did a loose brick come down on you? The man lives here. Where else would he be other than this exact location?

3. How the hell does he know what an 'angel' even is? Jesuit missionaries are only just on their way north to Kyoto by this point in time. I guess Indian religions may have introduced it, but I don't think they were that widespread.

I know, I know, it's very likely this is simply a localization quirk. I just can't help but take the piss out of this game.

4. Yeah, somehow I doubt Kagura would have answered anything you asked her. She kind of has the 'escaping' thing mastered, so even without creepy mask person, she would have slipped away like she usually does.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

This is just... Anime, did you hit your head while you were breaking out of that jail cell? Did a loose brick come down on you?
You're thinking much too recently. It probably happened when she fell into the past in the first place. ...Or possibly as a young child.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You've also noticed I've stopped pointing out whenever Anime says "this world" despite this being the exact same world, just a different time.

Also she probably means "What are you doing out in the courtyard being attacked by a demon" but the answer to that is still kinda obvious, he lives here and Kagura's starting poo poo.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Also she probably means "What are you doing out in the courtyard being attacked by a demon" but the answer to that is still kinda obvious, he lives here and Kagura's starting poo poo.

I mean, his room is right there. He just stepped down from walkway behind him. Presumably Kagura only started poo poo after spotting Inuyasha, so up until about 60 seconds ago he was just chilling out in his home.

Edvarius posted:

You're thinking much too recently. It probably happened when she fell into the past in the first place. ...Or possibly as a young child.

Fair enough. I was giving her the benefit of understandable confusion up until now, since she was pulled into a different time period with demons and poo poo. That may have been masking her stupid.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've been out of commission due to a cold this week, so the next update should be about Monday.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We're back in Kaede's village and hey, some new folks.

Miroku!

Miroku! Sango! You're back!

Sango!

That sure took you a while.

So, as you've maybe been able to tell, the game is kinda split up into different scenarios, and we've just been through two. Now, I kinda understand why they started you off with just Inuyasha, Kagome, and Shippo, start the player off with a smaller party so they get used to things, but there's absolutely no reason we needed to wait this long to get the other characters.

Don't say that, Inuyasha. We went through a lot too. Hey, who is that?

Oh yeah. This girl came from the present, like me.

Ohh...

Hello. Are these your friends, Kagome?

Note the atrocious spelling and capitalization.

Like us, they're trying to destroy Naraku.

I see. Um, my name is Anime. Nice to meet you.

It's my pleasure.

Nice to meet you.

This kid doesn't look very strong, but knows how to use the mysterious power of the Shikigami.

Shippo you didn't know what this poo poo was a few days ago stop acting an expert.

... [voiced as a hmmmmm noise]

Oh, it's nothing, really.

Uh, yes?

Will you be the mother of my children?

OH BOY HERE WE GO

W-what?!

Miroku.

Hnnn yeah oh boy this fuckin sucks

R-really.

Excuse me!

Uh, yes?

Miroku, shouldn't we tell them what we found out?

Oh yes.

Did you find out where Naraku is?

We didn't find out anything specific. But there are a lot of strange things happening in the castle.

What kinds of strange things?

Are you interested too?

Yes. It seems Naraku has something to do with why I was summoned into this world.

From what Kagura and Utsugi were talking about I gather that that's definitely the case.

Kagome...thanks, but...I'm talking right now.

All the cows on the castle grounds have disappeared. And all the people who've gone to pay their taxes have never come back. There is definitely a lot of strange things happening around the castle.

Well that's just the shutdown, innit?

A whole bunch of demons were seen heading towards the castle.

Well, that's just the House majority, innit?

A bunch of demons, huh. This stinks of Naraku.

Yes. So, where is the castle?

Don't act like you know poo poo. You've never met the guy.

From here, it is best to go through Tsuzumi Village.

We just got back. And we're off again already? Busy, busy.

I know you're both very tired. I'm sorry.

Thank you for being concerned about me. You're very kind.

It's not like that.

Don't be shy.

THIS SUCKS

You're misunderstanding me.

Thank you Sango. I knew there was a reason you were voted to be our best friend.

Let's talk more later.

I wonder what kind of journey this is going to turn out to be.

SHUT UP I HATE YOU

Hi Kaede!

What? You just got here and you're already leaving? Don't you want to rest a bit?

It's probably best if we rest up first.

I think so too. Today you should take it easy and rest.

Oh, I know what this means.

How about it, Inuyasha? What do you think if we take the day off today?

Huh! Take the day off?

What do you mean?

Like we did the other day, everyone can pair off with whoever they like.

Yeah, we need a little rest too. And we want to make sure that our friend has a good time with everyone.

Ha ha ha, oh you fool.

Hmmm. Sounds good.

That's great. You're kind and thoughtful, unlike Inuyasha.

Uncalled for.

What did you say, Miroku?

Take it easy. So, today is going to be our day off.

Anime. So, who do you wanna travel with today?

As y'all voted, we're gonna be spending time with Sango.

Thank you!

Huh? Do I have too? [sic]

Good idea, I'll go too.

We can't just sit around here. Let's go.

What?

Your hair is beautiful!

Huh? That's out of the blue. Is it really?

Yes! It really is! I mean, it's so long, but still so soft and shiny.

Alright, settle down.

I guess. Thank you.

Anime, boundaries.

Huh? Hey, what are you doing?

Hm? Something good! Don't move, Sango.

Wow!

It looks good! What do you think, Sango?

Um...well...I don't really think it suits me.

What are you saying, Sango? Of course it suits you!

Really...

Yes. When Miroku looks at you he will surely fall in love again.

Okay, so this is also an issue if you pick Miroku. Anime has known these people for less than 24 hours but acts as if they're old friends and know everything.

That's stupid! Why'd you say that?

AAH!

Kagome runs up to check things out.

Are you okay?

Ito: Huh? Y-yes. I just got a bug bite on my face, that's all.

Inuyasha comes up too!

What happened?

She got a bug bite on her face! It'll get worse if we leave it. Do we have any medicine for it?

A little bite? You're so insensitive, Inuyasha!

Insensitive? What do you mean?

Argh. You drive me crazy!

Are you in a bad mood?

WOW THIS IS RIVETING I WOULD SURE LOVE TO WATCH 167 EPISODES OF THIS.

Enough! Just get away from me!

Why are you so mad? I just don't get it. Suit yourself!

Here.

Huh?

Maybe I'm not sensitive, but here's something instead. See ya!

Instead? Oh, it's an herb that heals bug bites. Oh, Inuyasha!

We sure did.

Yes, and now we're all prepared. We should be on our way to Tsuzumi Village.

Good timing. I don't want to be adding to your baggage, but you should take this.

A pair of old fashioned pants?

I used to wear them when I was young. It's going to be a long journey. So a change of clothes will come in handy.

Yes. We don't know what's ahead. It'll be best to take them.

Thank you, Grandma Kaede.

Now, be careful. Goodbye.

Okay. Bye.

And bye I say to you, until Tsuzumi Village.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

This kid doesn't look very strong, but knows how to use the mysterious power of the Shikigami.

Shippo you didn't know what this poo poo was a few days ago stop acting an expert.

Shippo, shut the gently caress up. You wouldn't even be able to explain what Shikigami is, so don't just throw the term out there like that.

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime, boundaries.

Huh? Hey, what are you doing?

Hm? Something good! Don't move, Sango.

Yes. When Miroku looks at you he will surely fall in love again.

Okay, so this is also an issue if you pick Miroku. Anime has known these people for less than 24 hours but acts as if they're old friends and know everything.

Girl is hella perceptive. She picked up on the unresolved sexual tension within minutes of meeting these two.

Also, you are coming on way too strong, Anime. Back off a bit. Don't Be A Creep.

Waffleman_ posted:

Argh. You drive me crazy!

Are you in a bad mood?

WOW THIS IS RIVETING I WOULD SURE LOVE TO WATCH 167 EPISODES OF THIS!

:negative: The moment you realize you not only watched 167 episodes of that, but were deeply invested in it. Also that you had a crush on Kagome when Sango is clearly the better one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Miroku is such a waste of character, 'guy with an inherited power that will kill him the more he uses it, and feel need to make sure he has a family' has some legs, but it's pretty much used entirely so he creeps on girls and that's basically the only thing he does.

Dr. Psychobabble
Jun 14, 2009
This is an issue with most of the cast in Inuyasha, but Miroku feels far more like a gag character than an adventure/romcom one.
It doesn't help that Miroku's curse/ability is so powerful that after a point every single story had a cloud of poison bugs hanging around just to stop him from using it.

It also sucks that Sango's personality degrades into being Miroku's handler or being worried about her little brother.

Also, on the "different world" thing: this happens a ton in the manga, so I think it's at best a "quirk" of the story. They rarely consider that time travel is involved. Pretty much the only reason it matters is because of Kagome being a reincarnation.

Finally, on Kyokai no Rin-ne, it's a back to form gag based romcom. Takahashi's sense of humor does not seem to have changed so it's like reading more of Ranma or Urusei Yatsura. I liked it well enough. It has a varied cast of oddballs (several of them are very much new versions of other Takahashi characters) and for whatever reason the main character's poverty/budget concern gags always worked with me. It also continues the Ryuunosuke's / Ranma's Bad Dad tradition with Sabato, a spectacular scamming scumbag who is pretty much the main antagonistic force.
It got a modest anime adaptation that managed to make it up to 75 episodes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dr. Psychobabble posted:

This is an issue with most of the cast in Inuyasha, but Miroku feels far more like a gag character than an adventure/romcom one.
It doesn't help that Miroku's curse/ability is so powerful that after a point every single story had a cloud of poison bugs hanging around just to stop him from using it.

The saimyosho serve no gameplay purpose in this game, so Miroku does in fact go full sicko mode.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, I remember the insects and it's a pretty lame way to try to fix the problem that Miroku's ability is too drat good, when a 'due to overusing it, instead of growing once per year, it opens more with use' - still keeps him from sucking everything up but it would feel less like a dirty fix.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Psycho Knight posted:

:negative: The moment you realize you not only watched 167 episodes of that, but were deeply invested in it. Also that you had a crush on Kagome when Sango is clearly the better one.

Plus 26 more for the followup series The Final Act. Come to think of it, is Inuyasha the first time an anime adaption of one of Rumiko Takahashi's works actually wound up getting all the way through the manga?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, Ranma 1/2 deviated a lot due to overtaking the manga after a point, and some very different character interactions.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
god I don't remember the dialogue being this mind numbing when I was little

edit: wait poo poo I already said this earlier in the thread

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

god I don't remember the dialogue being this mind numbing when I was little

edit: wait poo poo I already said this earlier in the thread

Think about poor me who has to write out almost all of it and DWELL on it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Miroku was my favorite character when I was a teen, but 10 minutes into this recording for making the next update and I can't loving stand him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Miroku was my favorite character when I was a teen, but 10 minutes into this recording for making the next update and I can't loving stand him.

The womanizing? I don't imagine he would have much else to do in a game like this. You can't really deal with his angst or what little character development he got in the actual series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, he hasn't even really done any womanizing yet! He's just kind of a loving rear end in a top hat, and I think I'm so mad at him because he reminds me of rear end in a top hat dudes on Twitter and poo poo. Keeps mansplaining.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah that bit I remember, since I believe that's the big crux of Miroku's and Sango's arguments is because Miroku doesn't take her seriously enough despite being literally the most competent member of the band.

I feel like everyone who liked him liked his potential more than the actual character

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Anime and Kagome ask about how Sango uses Hiraikotsu, and Miroku literally says "I'll teach you how to use it"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Anime and Kagome ask about how Sango uses Hiraikotsu, and Miroku literally says "I'll teach you how to use it"

Wow, what a dick. That is pretty awful.

Robindaybird posted:

yeah that bit I remember, since I believe that's the big crux of Miroku's and Sango's arguments is because Miroku doesn't take her seriously enough despite being literally the most competent member of the band.

I feel like everyone who liked him liked his potential more than the actual character

The voice-acting helped.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Isn't this about the point where the series' plot fell into a holding pattern for the better part of a decade?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So, the game doesn't really specify a certain point in the series where it takes place, but from the period when it was released and the characters in it, one can determine that it takes place no earlier than episode 41.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

So, the game doesn't really specify a certain point in the series where it takes place, but from the period when it was released and the characters in it, one can determine that it takes place no earlier than episode 41.

It has to be sometime after episode 50+, namely because of one of Inuyasha's skills.

Miroku was always a wasted character. This is a character that is desperate to pump out children to keep the lineage going, even though that means cursing any son that may result to the Wind Tunnel. He has a reason for being incredibly forward with women (keep in mind this is the Feudal Era as well), but then he has a natural pervetedness attached to it. You could do a lot with a character like that, but Takahashi mainly just makes him a gag.