Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's fascinating how the Nightmare remake managed to make a movie about a dream controlling burned immortal knife fingered serial killer incredibly boring.

Somebody accidentally bumped the Freddy lever from “quips” to “pedophile”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

OldTennisCourt posted:

Discussion: The Friday the 13th remake is actually pretty good.

I thought Nana Visitor did a nice go of Pamela Voorhees.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart City posted:

I love how most of it was call backs to Freddy Vs Jason of all things. "Welcome to my world" "eyes say no no..." even Freddy's death is the same.

Very very odd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Discussion: The Friday the 13th remake is actually pretty good.

Resolved: The Friday the 13th Remake sucks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Final Opinion: It's good.

Okay, next question please.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah it’s pretty good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Has there ever been an in-canon establishment of what Jason’s disfigurement/condition is besides “whoa, god drat?”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's bumpy.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Has there ever been an in-canon explanation of why Jason almost-drowned and then decided to live in the woods for some reason, even though his mom was right there.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Has there ever been an in-canon explanation of why Jason almost-drowned and then decided to live in the woods for some reason, even though his mom was right there.

Technically I think he lived in the lake until his mom died

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but it was by the time he got out of the lake and regained consciousness he was already presumed dead so he went into the woods until the camp was reopened since it closed the summer he 'died' and Pamela kept sabotaging the attempted openings.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Drunkboxer posted:

Is The Changeling the first movie to do the spooky ball bouncing down the stairs thing?

edit: maybe not exactly the first I guess but I’ve not seen the earlier examples here:

https://youtu.be/iFgHPPAHUnM

Oh man, you definitely need to see Kill, Baby, Kill. It's one of Bava's best. The (original) Twin Peaks series finale swipes a few things from it too.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Origami Dali posted:

He was too crazy for Boy's Town and too much of a boy for Crazy Town.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I haven't read the group consensus yet, but I recently watched the Halloween reboot and thought it was ok. I'm not sure what they were trying to accomplish (beside raking in easy money), and it was entertaining enough but just felt unnecessary . Something with the call backs to the first movie too... there were either too many or shoehorned in, they kind of pulled me out of the movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Fart City posted:

People always say this but growing up I never knew anyone who thought the Freddy in the original abducted kids and brought them into his furnace basement and JUST killed them. I haven't seen the original in a while but this didn't seem like a far out concept when watching or talking about it.

Still glad I never got around to seeing the remake though as described in this thread it sounds like it was awful in every way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

M_Sinistrari posted:

I can't remember where I read it, but it was by the time he got out of the lake and regained consciousness he was already presumed dead so he went into the woods until the camp was reopened since it closed the summer he 'died' and Pamela kept sabotaging the attempted openings.

Yet another weird thing where if the lake itself is a weird evil force rather than Jason himself then all of the movies make sense together.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Neo Rasa posted:

People always say this but growing up I never knew anyone who thought the Freddy in the original abducted kids and brought them into his furnace basement and JUST killed them. I haven't seen the original in a while but this didn't seem like a far out concept when watching or talking about it.

Still glad I never got around to seeing the remake though as described in this thread it sounds like it was awful in every way.

Yeah, I mean it was certainly out there, but it wasn’t focused on. And generally speaking it pretty much disappeared altogether as Freddy morphed more and more into Bugs Bunny (and arguably his definitive pop culture version).

The remake like, very specifically makes the molestation an explicit tentpole of its narrative, and it pushes the entire tone of the film in a way grosser direction.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I have a bit of a theory that Part 2 is trying to retcon the timeline a little bit. There is the really unnecessary five year time gap that only makes sense if you think of it as them wanting to justify Jason being an adult.

I think Part 2 is operating under the assumption that the jump scare at the end of one isn't a dream. There really was a little kid Jason in the lake. This is reenforced by the fact that they make the choice to show you the jumpscare again in Part 2's little recap. It is coming in the form of a dream, but still. If they wanted to make it that Jason was in his forties, they would just skip it.

So, the events of Jason's drowning and the murders before part 1 happen just slightly before the original film starts instead of being decades before. So, Jason only had like a couple of years of hanging out in the woods as a child, sees his mom killed at let's say age thirteen, travels out of Crystal Lake for revenge, and then has five years to gently caress around in the woods being angry and sad.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
A full grown man just ate aqua-boy Jason’s heart and got possessed by his spirit.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

Has there ever been an in-canon establishment of what Jason’s disfigurement/condition is besides “whoa, god drat?”

During the podcast In Voorhees We Trust, they discuss how psychologists and doctors, for fun, examined horror icons, and the popular conclusion among then was that Jason's disfigurements come from fetal alcohol syndrome.

Fart City posted:

Yeah, I mean it was certainly out there, but it wasn’t focused on. And generally speaking it pretty much disappeared altogether as Freddy morphed more and more into Bugs Bunny (and arguably his definitive pop culture version).

The remake like, very specifically makes the molestation an explicit tentpole of its narrative, and it pushes the entire tone of the film in a way grosser direction.

There's a weird thing about the NoES movies where, as the series goes on, the implications of Freddy's crimes become less common, and the more Freddy's backstory of being created from rape becomes explicit, to the point where they reenact it.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 4, 2019

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

During the podcast In Voorhees We Trust, they discuss how psychologists and doctors, for fun, examined horror icons, and the popular conclusion among then was that Jason's disfigurements come from fetal alcohol syndrome.

That’s interesting, and has some equally interesting implications for Pamela Vorhees’ character in general.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

That’s interesting, and has some equally interesting implications for Pamela Vorhees’ character in general.

Pounding brewskis with pregnant Pam Vorhees.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fart City posted:

It's a fun podcast. They're huge nerds, and they spend a lot of time going into theories of Pamela's story. Basically a small-town kid who got pregnant at a young age, had to go live with the baby's father, started drinking to deal with the stress, may or may not have known she was pregnant. They're good theories.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

In a way it kind of reframes her murdering of drunken and horny teens as not only getting revenge for her child drowning, but also possibly lashing out against the types of behaviors that ultimately led to Jason, period. There’s an interesting projection aspect lent to her murder spree in that light.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Franchescanado posted:

There's a weird thing about the NoES movies where, as the series goes on, the implications of Freddy's crimes become less common, and the more Freddy's backstory of being created from rape becomes explicit, to the point where they reenact it.

Yeah, I love the Nightmare movies but there's a clear thing where he's absolutely a pedophile serial killer when it starts and by the time Wes is trying to fix poo poo in New Nightmare he's basically an antihero. I've never gotten around to the remake but I'm actually kind of intrigued by a take that strips away the comedy and love for Freddy and highlights what an evil piece of poo poo he is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
By the end of the Nightmare series they bent over backwards to explain that what Freddy was doing wasn't his fault because

checks notes

Uh looks like demons.

Yeah. Demons.

I think people were surprised honestly at how impactful and iconic Freddy became. Like Craven was even surprised everyone was.

So you had this huge marketing Cash cow and then it's like uh " we should probably retcon that he's a diddler or something".

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The movie with the most overt reference to Freddy being a child molester is, oddly, Freddy vs. Jason. Him being a diddler was never the point because his initial motivation in the movies is revenge against the parents who killed him, not creepy ghost lust. Otherwise, he'd just be molesting kids in the dream world and nobody wants to see that poo poo.

His motive gets pretty muddled around the middle of the series though, where he just enjoys killing and wants to kill as many people as possible for fun I guess. None of these long running slasher series can really maintain a consistent internal logic for very long.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

There's no horror series that goes beyond more than 2 sequels that doesn't eventually poo poo the bed at some point. Even the Child's Play series has part 3.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

There's no horror series that goes beyond more than 2 sequels that doesn't eventually poo poo the bed at some point. Even the Child's Play series has part 3.

evil bong

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'll throw down that Scream as it stands never got outright bad, Certainly middling, but not lovely.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

I'll throw down that Scream as it stands never got outright bad, Certainly middling, but not lovely.

I dunno, 3 is pretty bad with that portable voice changer nonsense.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

CP3 is just kinda bland and mediocre. It's nowhere near the level of the other franchises' lows.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

By the end of the Nightmare series they bent over backwards to explain that what Freddy was doing wasn't his fault because

checks notes

Uh looks like demons.

Yeah. Demons.

I think people were surprised honestly at how impactful and iconic Freddy became. Like Craven was even surprised everyone was.

So you had this huge marketing Cash cow and then it's like uh " we should probably retcon that he's a diddler or something".

I thought the demons came after he got set on fire. They came to give him a chance to be more evil than before. They didn't cause him to kill kids.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Demons, Demons 2, The Church, Demons 3, Demons 3, Demons 3, Demons 3

Checkmate. :smug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lurdiak posted:

Resolved: The Friday the 13th Remake sucks.

Everybody always says the teens in the Ft13 films are annoying, but the remake was the only one, to me, where they intentionally tried to make them as annoying as possible and it just ruins it for me. I just want to turn off the film because they're so annoying. If they'd toned them down just a bit it would have been more palpable.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
anyone know where i can watch the black and white version of The Mist? is it official or a bootleg?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Demons, Demons 2, The Church, Demons 3, Demons 3, Demons 3, Demons 3

Checkmate. :smug:

3 of the 4 Demons 3 are not good.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

anyone know where i can watch the black and white version of The Mist? is it official or a bootleg?

Special feature on the official release

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Hollismason posted:

TheKingslayer posted:

You guys are loving crazy.

also

Basket Case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I saw that Shudder Canada is getting The Mist; if the US is too I’m curious if they would put up both versions.

You could try your local library; that’s how I saw it :)