Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Flynn? Principled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

Flynn? Principled?

You jest, but...

quote:

Aug. 7, 2014 —
Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn retired Aug. 7 as director of the Defense Intelligence Agency and from a 33-year Army career. In a ceremony held at DIA Headquarters in Washington, D.C., nearly 500 distinguished visitors, representing more than 80 countries, joined life-long friends and family to celebrate Flynn’s career.

Adm. Michael Rogers, commander of U.S. Cyber Command and Director of the National Security Agency, presided over the ceremony, which included presentations of a number of prestigious medals and certificates.

“He’s about leading from the front. He’s about taking the hard jobs. He’s about driving change. … He’s always about the men and women around him,” Rogers said of Flynn and his career.

The US has a problem with assuming the best of authority until proven the worst.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Again, we could've done far, far worse than Mattis. But what if supposed principled people like Kelly, Mattis, and Flynn had not taken jobs, but had instead actively refused to work with Trump and talked poo poo pre-election instead of working with him or staying quiet until accepting political appointments from him after the fact?

You'll rarely see retired military actively talking poo poo, because you're technically still bound by the UCMJ for things like "talking poo poo about elected officials." Nobody cares about idiots on facebook, but when you're a retired 4 star it can cause problems.

But to answer your question, I think we'd have had a bodycount on the border, for starters. I think we'd have done something really stupid in Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan and schwacked a bunch of civilians gunship-vs-hospital style. I think things on the defense front would be considerably worse than "pretty quiet, nothing significant going on."

Edit: That description of Flynn jives with how Shim remembers him from back in the day. It's pretty clear the dude hosed up in retirement. I'm curious if he just made a really dumb bad decision and ended up digging the hole deeper trying to hide it or if he was actively trying to be a piece of poo poo. The end result is the same, but it's an oddity. All I remember from when Kelly was appointed was hope that he wouldn't be poo poo. I know I was completely unfamiliar with him.

mlmp08 posted:

You jest, but...

The US has a problem with assuming the best of authority until proven the worst.

This is completely accurate.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 26, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

You'll rarely see retired military actively talking poo poo, because you're technically still bound by the UCMJ for things like "talking poo poo about elected officials." Nobody cares about idiots on facebook, but when you're a retired 4 star it can cause problems.

Uh... were you conscious in 2016? Or now? Flynn was chanting that Clinton be locked up in 2016. Mattis stayed largely quiet but it was public knowledge that he was on Trump’s short list for SECDEF. Roughly a shitload of retired generals and lesser officers publicly talked mad poo poo about Obama while he was still in the oval office.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Uh... were you conscious in 2016? Or now? Flynn was chanting that Clinton be locked up in 2016. Mattis stayed largely quiet but it was public knowledge that he was on Trump’s short list for SECDEF. Roughly a shitload of retired generals and lesser officers publicly talked mad poo poo about Obama while he was still in the oval office.

I said it was rare, not that it never happened. There weren't that many...Fox had a few retired talking heads that went after specific policies and trends which is not the same thing. But there were a couple, and there was public discussion over whether that's technically allowed or not (no, but someone has to go through the effort of pursuing it to make anything happen).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Someone tell all the former commissioned officer congress members they arent allowed to talk poo poo about the president. Cause they’ve never done that before or presently....

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I guess we'll get to find out soon enough by comparison because it's almost certain Trump is going to pick some shithead to be SecDef and we can compare what happens under them to what happened under Mattis.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think we've already got our answer:

“We are not the Department of No.”

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

We do have a sense of some of what would have happened with a yes-man instead of Mattis...

quote:

He helped nip in the bud Trump's threat to give North Korea a military "bloody nose."

He was influential in persuading Trump to abandon his most reckless campaign-trail promises, such as bringing back waterboarding and to "carpet bomb" ISIS and seize the oil fields under its control. And Mattis' rear-guard action to avoid implementing Trump's ban on transgender troops helped force the president to seek Supreme Court approval last week.

The "bloody nose" would perhaps have been a nuclear attack, btw.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

We do have a sense of some of what would have happened with a yes-man instead of Mattis...

The "bloody nose" would perhaps have been a nuclear attack, btw.

AFAIK wasn't there some sort of revelation about Trump being sat down with Mattis and having it explained why he can't use nuclear weapons in a "limited" manner? Or why NATO exists. I seem to remember this, Fire and Fury reports maybe?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Fool me once, etc, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFYu_5XGrU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
If those are actually Saudi soldiers I think they really need to go redo AIT

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

:psyduck:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ah, Sgt. Laurel and Sgt. Hardy’s trucks met.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
What am I looking at here? Are they driving around in a minefield or are they just bumbling into a series of remotely triggered IEDs?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

What am I looking at here? Are they driving around in a minefield or are they just bumbling into a series of remotely triggered IEDs?

The Houthis hired that demolitions guy from Uncommon Valor.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I can't find it now, but there was a report in the NY Times earlier today that the Saudi ground forces are largely made up of African mercenaries, and that a significant chunk of those mercenaries are child soldiers.
So those dudes bumbling around between ambushes probably had little to no actual training. Great stuff there.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An African child mercenary can’t run that much. Where’s all our military aid money going?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/yosoymichael/status/1079199961093496832

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:stare:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

ANTIFA Super Solider: Confirmed.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Handsome Ralph posted:

ANTIFA Super Solider: Confirmed.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW MORE.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

:same:

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Next metal gear game is looking good.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

God :drat:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
A goon in the OSHA thread messed with the 'Battle of Palmdale' Wikipedia page about a runaway drone getting shot down by two interceptors in 1956, and it got a chuckle out of me. Changed back already, obviously:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Palmdale

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Obviously it was edited because Oxnard afb is not a unit. Duh.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

“Pyrrhic drone victory”

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A true master of gun-kata.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Wonder if those posters are still available from SOF magazine

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010
I found a 1995 issue of SOF in a used book store and was blown away that there was an ad section in the back of the magazine where you could order legit steroids. It was like boys life but with cool poo poo instead of lame boy scouts merch

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I found a few on internet archive just now and it's really amazing to see how far the overton window has shifted when this was printable in the Gribble Fringe's flagship publication before Reagan happened. :stare:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jan 5, 2019

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Dude you have a missed call, they left a voicemail it might be important.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Also everything else happened and there's a notification for all of it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Oh good lord your notifications are triggering my anxiety.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

god drat it i was just coming to post that

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
do people like that not get shamed into hiding their stupid meme stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hot Karl Marx posted:

do people like that not get shamed into hiding their stupid meme stuff?