Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know they’re not fictional but I don’t understand why the old gypsy woman says so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It drives me nuts because you see hurr durr bigotry about Roma from people who wouldn't in a million years fall for the same rhetoric used to color all black folks or poor immigrants as criminals, but there's some weird disconnect with this particular group.

yeah in the thread the quote was from i told the guy to replace roma with black and tell me its not racist

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

It wasn’t until I read these forums when I was like 17 or 18 that I realized that gypsy:

A: wasn’t the preferred nomenclature
B: was an actual ethnic group and not just a term for a group of traveling performers or other nomads

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm fully aware they aren't all Esmeralda from Hunchback, that doesn't make Europeans turning into screaming banshees spitting pillars of flame at the mere mention of them any less racist.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I just think for some people it sounds weirdly quaint at first.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

snergle posted:

yeah in the thread the quote was from i told the guy to replace roma with black and tell me its not racist

My family loves Steve Harvey so there's a lot of overlap in these Venn diagrams.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

For the record, the thread was the discussion thread for the new season of Seth Mcfarlane’s latest project The Orville.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Somfin posted:

Never forget that White Wolf, the guys who made Vampire the Masquerade and a large number of other monster-based RPGs using the same system, also released one called World of Darkness: Gypsies, a sourcebook allowing you to make a Gypsy character with special skills involving fleecing idiots for cash, drinking too much (they are literally the only sourcebook with a statistical alcohol tolerance), getting bizarrely lucky, and hypnotising people with dancing.

Gypsy Knife Dancing or some poo poo? If I'm remembering right, each level you had let you make an additional attack, and since you used that skill to make the attack, this meant that at level 5 you could make 5 attacks with a dice pool of at least 5.
Furthermore, this means that at level 1, it grants no bonus whatsoever.

edit- and if you wield two weapons when doing this, that means you get to make TEN full attacks per round.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ariong posted:

For the record, the thread was the discussion thread for the new season of Seth Mcfarlane’s latest project The Orville.

Oh they were probably just being racist ironically then

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

It wasn’t until I read these forums when I was like 17 or 18 that I realized that gypsy:

A: wasn’t the preferred nomenclature
B: was an actual ethnic group and not just a term for a group of traveling performers or other nomads

They’re called gypsies because they’re from Egypt.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ariong posted:

Oh word?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jit bull transpile posted:

Oh they were probably just being racist ironically then

As is often the case online, someone used the word “gypped” without thinking about it and poo poo kinda spiraled from there.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Lmao another Roma chat in which Americans who have never interacted with them get holier than thou on the one racist thing they can definitely pin onto Europe. Roma people, mostly because of being disenfranchised, prosecuted and discriminated against are very poor, very uneducated and completely outside of mainstream society. As a result they are also often criminals and get into conflict with society.

Europeans are undoubtly racist about them but it is quite hard to stay unprejudiced about them when literally every single interaction with them is them begging or attempting to pickpocket you. It is a very complex issue, but please go in pointing at us and going "seee, seeeeee you're racist too!".

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Son of Rodney posted:

It is a very complex issue, but please go in pointing at us and going "seee, seeeeee you're racist too!".

you are though

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
it's quite complex which is why it's fine you're reducing it to 'interacting with them is either begging or being pick-pocketed' :yum:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao another Roma chat in which Americans who have never interacted with them get holier than thou on the one racist thing they can definitely pin onto Europe. Roma people, mostly because of being disenfranchised, prosecuted and discriminated against are very poor, very uneducated and completely outside of mainstream society. As a result they are also often criminals and get into conflict with society.

Europeans are undoubtly racist about them but it is quite hard to stay unprejudiced about them when literally every single interaction with them is them begging or attempting to pickpocket you. It is a very complex issue, but please go in pointing at us and going "seee, seeeeee you're racist too!".

Lmao

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Shut up about gypsies and racism already itt

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

:wtf:

You Americans just don’t understand how hard it is not being racist!

EDIT: Seriously though WHAT in the legitimate gently caress are you talking about.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 09:16 on Jan 5, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Rodney posted:

lmao this is so loving racist.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

lmao I normally only see this level of denial from old white southerners

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

It's so hard to not be racist against the Romani, because due to racism against them, that entire ethinc group are beggars and theives. I'm not racist for thinking that, because it's true. Please don't call me racist.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Turtlicious posted:

lmao this is so loving racist.

It's really amazing how often they'll just say "no no you don't get it, this racism is RIGHT"

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Son of Rodney posted:

drat, great find. Which thread did this come from?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Lol Jesus, way to prove a point there champ

"But you don't understand, they really are all thieving scum!!!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Roma are treated with less respect than garbage.

People can be weirdly protective/territorial of their garbage. I saw a discussion somewhere which started "The neighbours sometimes put their rubbish in my bins when I put them out for collection, what do I do?" and some of the people responding were incredibly angry about other people putting their trash in their bins. Like, screaming HOW DARE THEY and threatening physical violence.
(They weren't mixing general trash in the recycling bins, or filling them up before people could put their own trash in them, or anything that would inconvenience them in any way.)

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Son of Rodney posted:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I really wasn't joking about the "turning into screaming banshees spitting pillars of flame at the mere mention of them" bit. Jesus Christ on a saltine.

E: no, seriously, replace each instance of the word "Roma" in that racist paragraph with "Black/Blacks" and then think really, really hard about your life choices

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Jan 5, 2019

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People can be weirdly protective/territorial of their garbage. I saw a discussion somewhere which started "The neighbours sometimes put their rubbish in my bins when I put them out for collection, what do I do?" and some of the people responding were incredibly angry about other people putting their trash in their bins. Like, screaming HOW DARE THEY and threatening physical violence.
(They weren't mixing general trash in the recycling bins, or filling them up before people could put their own trash in them, or anything that would inconvenience them in any way.)
Trash cans lock in many cities here (France) because they get weighed by the garbage truck when it empties them. They have a rfid chip or similar to uniquely identify and bill the owner of the garbage for the act of collecting, and the weight collected. Before we had locking garbage cans cheapos would put their bags into their neighbors can. I know it’s not what you’re describing, but sometimes there is a reason to get mad at your neighbors for putting their trash in your container.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Malachite_Dragon posted:

think really, really hard about your life choices

Why would anyone do this? lmao

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Just to prove the point:

Son of Rodney posted:

Lmao another Negro chat in which Europeans who have never interacted with them get holier than thou on the one racist thing they can definitely pin onto America. Black people, mostly because of being disenfranchised, prosecuted and discriminated against are very poor, very uneducated and completely outside of mainstream society. As a result they are also often criminals and get into conflict with society.

Americans are undoubtly racist about them but it is quite hard to stay unprejudiced about them when literally every single interaction with them is them begging or attempting to pickpocket you. It is a very complex issue, but please go in pointing at us and going "seee, seeeeee you're racist too!".

barbecue at the folks has a new favorite as of 12:29 on Jan 5, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

face_slowly_melting_off_to_reveal_hitler.gif

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Me I hate the poor. Thieving crime-doing filth of the earth all of them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man who knew the rodney family used to be called foresters.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
White people still suck, right? We're still cool with that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Karate Bastard posted:

Me I hate the poor. Thieving crime-doing filth of the earth all of them.

Same, except the rich.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Oh boy, I should not have touched the poop. I will admit that seeing the replies has made me actually think about the topic again instead of defaulting to the knee-jerk (racist) reaction that comes naturally when talking about sinti and roma, and I'm doing some reading about them right now. It made me realize how deep-seated my own anti-roman prejudice actually is, as I don't see myself as a racist person at all and try hard in daily life to act against racism. I will say that americans maybe don't have a realistic view of the situation, and tend to oversimplify it, as the issues with the roman people are quite real and significant, but that doesn't excuse racism against them.

So I guess I learned something today.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Clitch posted:

White people still suck, right? We're still cool with that?

Wow, change white people with gypsies and read your post again.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

purple death ray posted:

Thissss, I've seen people in a conversation about how terrible stereotypes are, and when Roma come up they'll literally say "Oh but with them it's actually true though", like, have a single moment of self awareness once in your Goddamn life

It keeps happening!!

You literally bust in here like "Americans don't know what they're talking about" and then you read a thing and you're like "I don't know what I'm talking about". Fuckin think a little bit before you Kramer in here and start final solutioning off the goddamn walls.

Son of Rodney posted:

I will say that americans maybe don't have a realistic view of the situation, and tend to oversimplify it, as the issues with the roman people are quite real and significant, but that doesn't excuse racism against them.

lol. We oversimplify it because to Americans grown up before the Internet, 'gypsy' is a Halloween costume. As you can see ITT a lot of people grew up thinking they were mythical beings, or something that didn't really exist any more, or the word is just a synonym for 'carny' or 'fortune teller'. We don't really have Romani here, yall do. We oversimplify it because we don't have those generations of learned hate seeping into our heads - if an American claims they are against racism, the main thing they need to overcome to treat Romani with respect is to learn that they exist at all as an actual ethnic group. You guys have such a massive blind spot to it. Do you not realize how fuckin monstrous you sound using words like 'realistic' to describe this? Have you ever encountered a 'race realist' before? I don't think you'd want to jump on that bandwagon.

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 13:28 on Jan 5, 2019

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Son of Rodney posted:

Oh boy, I should not have touched the poop. I will admit that seeing the replies has made me actually think about the topic again instead of defaulting to the knee-jerk (racist) reaction that comes naturally when talking about sinti and roma, and I'm doing some reading about them right now. It made me realize how deep-seated my own anti-roman prejudice actually is, as I don't see myself as a racist person at all and try hard in daily life to act against racism. I will say that americans maybe don't have a realistic view of the situation, and tend to oversimplify it, as the issues with the roman people are quite real and significant, but that doesn't excuse racism against them.

So I guess I learned something today.

*credits play, GUEST STARRING RODNEY DANGERFIELD appears onscreen*

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I'd like to believe you are. Realizing and acknowledging it is an important step to bettering yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Nah I totally am serious, when I realize I'm wrong about something I try and change it.