Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i gave up on trying to get with someone who has my mirror interests at like 19. after that i became realistic and ultimately married someone who was ok with being around me for more than a few moments at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Same, and I realized that I'm a broke-brained, antisocial weirdo (aka goon) who needs a lot of alone time so 100% overlap on interest is actually bad.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

rickiep00h posted:

I love all y’all with life-consuming hobbies that have spouses or whatever that aren’t 100% into that poo poo themselves.

Find you a nerd and share Steam libraries, people. Gift each other consoles. It’s pretty fuckin rad not having to be all *~my wife~* when it comes to tech poo poo.

Video games: a life-consuming hobby

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Inept posted:

Video games: a life-consuming hobby

Apparently it is for some of the people in this thread!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Who the gently caress has 100% overlapping interests with their partner/spouse?

I think there’s quite a bit of space between “my otaku wife and I built coordinated gaming rigs to put in our Zelda-themed-den that match our tattoos” and “best make them vidja games disappear, boy, if yer fixing to catch a woman round these parts....”

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Who the gently caress has 100% overlapping interests with their partner/spouse?

I think there’s quite a bit of space between “my otaku wife and I built coordinated gaming rigs to put in our Zelda-themed-den that match our tattoos” and “best make them vidja games disappear, boy, if yer fixing to catch a woman round these parts....”

Especially when I didn't even say the first. That said, I do know people like that and they're perfectly happy and more power to 'em.

If I enjoy a thing enough to have custom equipment to do said thing, you better be drat sure I'm going to make sure any potential partner is cool as poo poo with it or it's gonna be a problem at some point, guaranteed. Like, for instance, if your computer is *visible*? That ain't a gender problem, I assure y'all.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

ZentraediElite posted:

Windows 10 with ICQ and MSN Messenger running is like being stuck in a time warp.

Oh sweet dude. I miss the days of communicating on ICQ. :(

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

God I love the mental gymnastics goons will go through to justify not growing up.

If you still have the same interests you did as a teenager, mentally you still are a teenager.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

carry on then posted:

God I love the mental gymnastics goons will go through to justify not growing up.

If you still have the same interests you did as a teenager, mentally you still are a teenager.

:chloe:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I put a glittery humming bird thingy in my wife's PC. The glass sidepanel and led lights really makes it sparkle. It's sweet. Also I met her on ICQ. I have a stupid soft spot for that messaging application.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 21, 2018

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Light Gun Man posted:

i'm 35 and my latest build has fuckin purple LED fans in the front and the video card has an LED thing on it that changes colors* i do not give a gently caress

*supposedly, i still haven't bothered to find the software to do it

My RAM changes colours and I can't stop it because the software to control it only runs in Windows...

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Moey posted:

Gonna need some pics here.

Pretty sure I posted some photos earlier in the thread (although have gotten some more consoles since then and changed the computer layout a bit) but I'll check when I get home from my son's swimming lesson.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

carry on then posted:

*checks rap sheet*

Oh, carry on then.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

carry on then posted:

How long you been trolling forums for?

my desktop with the weird lamp I'm working on:

old setup:

cat on CNC computer:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

Moey posted:

Probably a NUC in 2020 when the GPUs are powerful enough.
I am already there about to get an external GPU setup for my 1080 Ti. Considering the RTX series for the improved performance on deep learning shenanigans but the RAM size is prohibitive for my CNNs that are super wide because I’m trying to compare models for video analysis at various resolutions up to 720p (16 GB+ Keeps me from splitting training around awkwardly). Definitely not a hobby I had at 16.

Been burned trying to do small and acceptable GPU with the nVidia Ion 2 years ago but in the context of trying to make an HTPC more than just that. Shield TV is where I sit, smile and say “that’ll do, Pig. That’ll do.”

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Here is the link I was thinking of.

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Intel-Plans-Ghost-Canyon-X-NUC-Discrete-Graphics-Support-2020

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jack Forge posted:

Legit question, but for those that don't have an adjustable height desk or a lack of space under the desk, why do people put their midtowers+ up on the desk surface?

im contemplating doing it right now because i have no aircon and its 36 degrees outside and having it on the floor my legs are cooking. im just watching youtube. i figure that on the desk the heat won't be trapped by anything, and just rise to the roof, but idk if its silly or not.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So I have an old-rear end Steelcase desk in my office at work that has a metal back to it that spans the whole length of it. I don't really want to have my desk facing a wall, but I can't stand the horrible mess of wires that are draped over the back of my desk now, and I miss having an articulating arm for my monitor. So I have two questions:

Would something like this be any good? The base would take up some of the footprint that the monitor base+riser I'm using would take up, but it still would be a bit cleaner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P7Y9ZG/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3W3STWCK1O3NR

And are there any suggestions for how to clean up wiring? Just run conduit and have that all over the back of the desk?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Same ol' setup, count the number of video game consoles edition (click for bigger)

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

IuniusBrutus posted:

So I have an old-rear end Steelcase desk in my office at work that has a metal back to it that spans the whole length of it. I don't really want to have my desk facing a wall, but I can't stand the horrible mess of wires that are draped over the back of my desk now, and I miss having an articulating arm for my monitor. So I have two questions:

Would something like this be any good? The base would take up some of the footprint that the monitor base+riser I'm using would take up, but it still would be a bit cleaner: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074P7Y9ZG/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3W3STWCK1O3NR

And are there any suggestions for how to clean up wiring? Just run conduit and have that all over the back of the desk?

Can you get facilities or maintenance to drill a hole in the top of the desk to run wires thru?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BabyRyoga posted:

Same ol' setup, count the number of video game consoles edition (click for bigger)

Do you develop film in that room or something?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IUG posted:

Do you develop film in that room or something?

Naw, just have a bunch of hue bulbs and strips, phones are just awful at capturing the lighting accurately. The current setting looks much pinker and violet in person

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012

BabyRyoga posted:

Naw, just have a bunch of hue bulbs and strips, phones are just awful at capturing the lighting accurately. The current setting looks much pinker and violet in person

So, grow light profiles? :p

That pedestal arm looks real good btw.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hello, I'm thinking of buying AmazonBasics dual monitor arm. There's no real rush though so I'm wondering how often does it get discounts and how low does it go? Would be extra nice if anyone knew if German or Italian Amazon got similar deals.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Sininu posted:

Hello, I'm thinking of buying AmazonBasics dual monitor arm. There's no real rush though so I'm wondering how often does it get discounts and how low does it go? Would be extra nice if anyone knew if German or Italian Amazon got similar deals.

Does CamelCamelCamel work on the German or Italian amazon sites?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Finally got around to painting, plus got some new speakers and an amazing new mouse

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Anything other than soft white or edison bulbs in a room makes me feel like I'm on the Event Horizon or something and I will go insane.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

CubanMissile posted:

Anything other than soft white or edison bulbs in a room makes me feel like I'm on the Event Horizon or something and I will go insane.

Yes. I don’t know how or why anyone uses lights cooler than about 4000K. I accidentally bought some Cree “daylight” LES bulbs and when I turned one of them on I instantly felt like I was in some sort of asylum.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

4000K+ bulbs are great for laundry rooms, garages, basements, and other areas where visibility and color differentiation are paramount. For living areas, though, the cool temps are obnoxious.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

B-Nasty posted:

4000K+ bulbs are great for laundry rooms, garages, basements, and other areas where visibility and color differentiation are paramount. For living areas, though, the cool temps are obnoxious.

My wife made me put super white daylights in all the bathrooms so she has the right light for doing her makeup.

I feel like I’m being interrogated while I’m pooping.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
That is my basement, and it's had daylight forever. My mom did the whole "daylight everywhere" thing and it drives me nuts every time I go over there

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I honestly prefer a bright, white light. It's what I have in my bedroom, which is where I pretty much spend all my time, gaming, watching tv, etc I have 5 nice philips led bulbs in the brightest variant I could buy (1400 lumens); hanging from a fixture in the centre of the ceiling. My dad hates it and says my room feels like a football stadium.

I'm not a fan of super cool lighting though which has a blueish tinge.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I have daylight in all the rooms in my house so visitors don't stay over long.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

With black light tubes I can feel my eyeballs vibrate after a few minutes

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does CamelCamelCamel work on the German or Italian amazon sites?

Thank you! That's exactly what I was hoping for.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

B-Nasty posted:

I have a set of what I call "half-smart" LED bulbs in my laundry/utility room that switch between a super-bright 6000K, mid-brighness around 3000K, and a dim mode that's probably around 2000K if I flip them off and back on quickly. It's really nice because I can put them on daylight mode when cleaning but not have to deal with that nonsense any other time. The dim mode is great at night too.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

wolrah posted:

I have a set of what I call "half-smart" LED bulbs in my laundry/utility room that switch between a super-bright 6000K, mid-brighness around 3000K, and a dim mode that's probably around 2000K if I flip them off and back on quickly. It's really nice because I can put them on daylight mode when cleaning but not have to deal with that nonsense any other time. The dim mode is great at night too.

Do the lumens change, or just the color temperature?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jealous Cow posted:

Do the lumens change, or just the color temperature?

Both. I looked it up and I'm 95% sure I have the Philips SceneSwitch bulbs which have the following modes:

800 Lumen 2700K
800 Lumen 5000K
80 Lumen 2200K

There's another model aimed at living areas that switches out the 5000K fullbright mode for a 320 lumen 2500K mode.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I don't trust smart devices so I have motion sensor light switches in my house. They have more settings than I initially thought and work perfectly for turning out the lights when you forget, and in some rooms, turning on when your hands are full.

You can also set them to be off while occupied, so they don't turn back on when you want it dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The hue switch you can buy has some editable defaults color temp wise and it's nice to be able to match to the daylight coming in from the windows easily and then switch to a more normal 4400-3200 range once the sun goes down. A nice little bonus is having the hue bulbs check when sunset is and pop the lights on accordingly without ever thinking about it.