Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
You’ve gotta figure the author that sells can expect that to happen at this point. Less scummy thing would be to let an extension that becomes unnecessary die, I reckon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I got similarly bit by the same extension being bought out; it isn't JUST a dark theme, it added a bunch of poo poo that I found extremely useful. Like better volume controls, video resizing at will, and probably 20 other things I actively missed after I had to toss the thing.

The best part was the new owner of the extension getting really butthurt on the comments to the app store reviews, steadfastly insisting that it couldn't possibly be HIS extension despite ten thousand people suddenly having the same ads and nothing else in common.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Javid posted:

I got similarly bit by the same extension being bought out; it isn't JUST a dark theme, it added a bunch of poo poo that I found extremely useful. Like better volume controls, video resizing at will, and probably 20 other things I actively missed after I had to toss the thing.

The best part was the new owner of the extension getting really butthurt on the comments to the app store reviews, steadfastly insisting that it couldn't possibly be HIS extension despite ten thousand people suddenly having the same ads and nothing else in common.

That's all spin to sucker people. Search for some of the text of the new owners comments, and they probably turn up in other extension that have been bought out. It's like the terribly written nigerian scam emails. Even if you only fool a tiny percentage of people, your return on investment is still huge.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've been notcing more ads and popups making their way through ublock origin, usually "reminders" for people to disable their blockers or subscription pushes. Is there a new go-to blocker?

To be clear, it's not awful and can live with it, just not against changing to something better.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Nano Defender might work as a compliment. I'm not entirely sure since AdNauseam doesn't allow access to the "I'm An Advanced User" part of the uBlock settings to properly integrate it with ND, though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Why these authors act like bastards all of a sudden is beyond me.

Money.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Nano Defender might work as a compliment. I'm not entirely sure since AdNauseam doesn't allow access to the "I'm An Advanced User" part of the uBlock settings to properly integrate it with ND, though.

Ill give Nano Defender a try, thanks!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
One of my bookmark folders somehow ended up with over a dozen copies of the same bookmark. I've deleted them numerous times, trying several methods (closing all chrome instances on other computers, etc.) but they just keep coming back. Any advice on purging them once and for all?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

e: nevermind!

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 16, 2019

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=896897&desc=2#c23
Google has proposed a change to Chrome's webRequest API that will permanently break uBlock Origin and similar adblockers, only permitting Adblock Plus-style adblockers with a limit of 30,000 filters. (My uBO install currently has >140,000 filters)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Google has proposed a change to Chrome's webRequest API that will permanently break uBlock Origin and similar adblockers, only permitting Adblock Plus-style adblockers with a limit of 30,000 filters. (My uBO install currently has >140,000 filters)

And they've already shunted dissent to a Google Group that will have no further input on the proposed change.

EDIT: 'already' as in about 40 minutes prior to this reply or 50 prior to this edit. They're going for it and - thanks to Microsoft giving up on Edge - if you're using anything other than Firefox there's not a Goddamn thing you can do about it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 23, 2019

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

dont be mean to me posted:

And they've already shunted dissent to a Google Group that will have no further input on the proposed change.

EDIT: 'already' as in about 40 minutes prior to this reply or 50 prior to this edit. They're going for it and - thanks to Microsoft giving up on Edge - if you're using anything other than Firefox there's not a Goddamn thing you can do about it.

Well, Vivaldi is a thing. They would probably be willing to patch out the changes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just switched to Firefox because of that change. Unsurprising, but such a scumbag move on Google's part.

Also hey, Firefox is pretty good.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Don’t want to poo poo up the Chrome thread but after an OS reinstall I retried Firefox and after splitting out the URL and search bars to get the awesome bar much better at finding my old web sites, and installing uBO and finally growing uMatrix I’m very happy.

It’s been almost a decade but I went back to Firefox. Decisions like this make me feel it was a good choice.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hed posted:

Don’t want to poo poo up the Chrome thread but after an OS reinstall I retried Firefox and after splitting out the URL and search bars to get the awesome bar much better at finding my old web sites, and installing uBO and finally growing uMatrix I’m very happy.

It’s been almost a decade but I went back to Firefox. Decisions like this make me feel it was a good choice.

Yeah, Firefox is way better than it used to be. I'm still on Chrome for my desktop/laptop, but switched to Firefox for Android because I like having a fully capable adblocking filter (with Ublock Origin, Umatrix and some Violentmonkey scripts all those annoying anti-adblocking filters websites use are of no concern to me). I was an Samsung Internet previously, which only offers Ios-style content filters that are no longer sufficient.

Another thing Firefox has over Chrome on the desktop: It has a pleasant design that fits Windows 10 well. The new Chrome design is really ugly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Firefox on mobile is quite good and I like it better than mobile Chrome, honestly.

Desktop Chrome was still working better for me on Linux but I imagine the annoyances I have with Firefox will be outweighed by the lack of good ad blocking on Chrome.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Just get a raspberry pi and pihole. It works great and covers all devices in your home.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Harminoff posted:

Just get a raspberry pi and pihole. It works great and covers all devices in your home.

Which is fine if you A) never want to use a particular site and still want to keep it from accessing the rest of your browsing AND B) never browse outside your home.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 24, 2019

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

dont be mean to me posted:

Which is fine if you A) never want to use a particular site and still want to keep it from accessing the rest of your browsing AND B) never browse outside your home.

You can VPN through it when not at home but :effort:

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

This is one huge shitfest. Pretty sure if I'm forced out of ublock, I'll be forced out of chrome as well.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah I've preemptively installed Firefox and got all my bookmarks and extensions copied over in the event I need to dump Chrome. I'm firmly in the Google ecosystem with my Pixel, Nest, and Homes so I'd prefer to stay on Chrome but adblocking > uniformity

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Thankfully I'm already in mid-leap of jumping ship all the way to FF. Ever since the first version they named Quantum, it has been Really Good. As for extensions if you can't find a satisfactory replacement for one you probably didn't really need it in the first place. That's what I found and I use a lot of extensions.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Updated Chrome on my laptop yesterday to Version 72.0.3626.81 and now any tab with video in it just flashes to black screen repeatedly then locks up the browser interaction. I can still hear the video playing but cant access the browser even after it stops.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I've had weird video issues with Chrome (and only Chrome, not Edge or Firefox) for a while: The browser will often "crash" (sites turn black for a second), after that, video sometimes doesn't play back correctly until I relaunch Chrome. Also, low-res video tends to be integer scaled (blocky) instead of smooth whenever no overlays are on top of the video (YouTube annotations, ads, video controls, ...). Color correction also doesn't apply when it's integer scaled.

I've observed the latter issue even on computers not owned by me as well as my laptop and desktop, so it must be relatively widespread. Intel driver updates haven't helped, and the issue shows up even on a brand new Windows 10 installation with nothing but Chrome and all current Windows Updates.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Thankfully I'm already in mid-leap of jumping ship all the way to FF. Ever since the first version they named Quantum, it has been Really Good. As for extensions if you can't find a satisfactory replacement for one you probably didn't really need it in the first place. That's what I found and I use a lot of extensions.

Same here. Chrome is a 2nd class citizen in Windows and I am tired of it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lambert posted:

I've had weird video issues with Chrome (and only Chrome, not Edge or Firefox) for a while: The browser will often "crash" (sites turn black for a second), after that, video sometimes doesn't play back correctly until I relaunch Chrome. Also, low-res video tends to be integer scaled (blocky) instead of smooth whenever no overlays are on top of the video (YouTube annotations, ads, video controls, ...). Color correction also doesn't apply when it's integer scaled.

I've observed the latter issue even on computers not owned by me as well as my laptop and desktop, so it must be relatively widespread. Intel driver updates haven't helped, and the issue shows up even on a brand new Windows 10 installation with nothing but Chrome and all current Windows Updates.

I've definitely been noticing Chrome getting increasingly buggy for the past six months or so. Resizing windows seems to frequently hang tabs now, for example.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Lambert posted:

You can try turning off hardware acceleration

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone pointed me towards this extension from google that puts google earth images on your new tab page if you are into that kind of thing.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I accidentally removed a ublock origin command that completely hid ignored users posts on SA while trying to fix some thing else. Does any one know what it was?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jippa posted:

I accidentally removed a ublock origin command that completely hid ignored users posts on SA while trying to fix some thing else. Does any one know what it was?

somethingawful.com##.ignored.post

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Thanks.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Klyith posted:

This is the best thing, thank you!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Jippa posted:

Isn't this already an option in SALR?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there some function or flag I can enable or disable to make it so a bunch of extensions don't pop up a tab of update poo poo I don't care about every time I relaunch the browser? It's so annoying.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Isn't this already an option in SALR?

Don't think so.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Is there an easy way to block installing extensions and notifications, and like maybe require a password every time for it? Every once in a while when my wife use the PC I come back to find it crapped up. The latest one was templatehub chose to install an add-on, a search provider, toolbar, and enable desktop notifications. I think I eradicated it from my system by just going into the chrome settings and disabling each of those individually. I'm fine with doing this every once in a while, but I feel like locking down Chrome to like require a password to install addons would be an easier solution than confronting my wife saying "you poo poo up the PC last week!" for all I know it could have even been my kids. Would this even work for malicious add-ons?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Crotch Fruit posted:

Is there an easy way to block installing extensions and notifications, and like maybe require a password every time for it? Every once in a while when my wife use the PC I come back to find it crapped up. The latest one was templatehub chose to install an add-on, a search provider, toolbar, and enable desktop notifications. I think I eradicated it from my system by just going into the chrome settings and disabling each of those individually. I'm fine with doing this every once in a while, but I feel like locking down Chrome to like require a password to install addons would be an easier solution than confronting my wife saying "you poo poo up the PC last week!" for all I know it could have even been my kids. Would this even work for malicious add-ons?

Not really how Chrome works.

For local profiles, Chrome assumes the platform's access control is trustworthy.

For Google-account-linked profiles, Chrome assumes the account-holder has given the user permission to use the account, because they're usually one and the same.

If it's a Google account, and for some reason you can't just have different accounts, go into Settings, pick Sync, set up custom sync options and turn off 'sync extensions', but seriously you need to sort that out.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I do link my Google account to Chrome. I guess my next best option would be to setup another user for my wife and/or kids with their own Chrome profile or Google account but telling my wife she can no longer use my PC account opens up another can of worms. That said, I thought there was a way to create a shortcut in Chrome which would open it without a profile or just a default profile?

*edit* I can create a new profile and a shortcut to that profile on the desktop, but what I have not yet figured out is how to have quick launch or "pinned" icons for each profile on the task bar, but regardless I think this might work good enough.

*Edit 2* I figured out you have to hold shift and right click pinned icon to access their properties, at which point you can then add ' --profile-directory="farts" ' and you can change the icon in the properties, but to make the change take effect you have to rebuild windows icon cache. The guide I read says you could do this by deleting icons.db in your userprofile/local folder (didn't work, maybe I deleted the wrong file) but also recommended using winAerotweaker which worked great.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 13, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You could have selected the "Create a desktop shortcut for this user" option in the Chrome profile manager, changed the icon for that shortcut and copied it to the start menu folder.

Another option is to let your wife use Chrome Stable, while you use Chrome Beta on the same machine.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I saw a guide which also suggested that, but I'm pretty sure that is not an option in Chrome anymore, or at least not one I could find. I was on version 72 and just updated to 73, but under manage people I don't see a specific "Create a desktop shortcut for this user" option - if I go into change name and picture I see "show desktop shortcut" and a slider, which is how I created the shortcut to the new profile. By default, creating a shortcut like this gives it an icon with the standard Chrome Icon + the users icon overlapping the bottom right corner. I was able to pin the shortcut to the new profile to the taskbar, it used --profile-directory="profile 1" but if I tried to do mine for whatever reason every time I pinned it, it left off the --profile-directory, I suspect this is probably since it was just --profile-directory="Default" and once Chrome is running Windows probably doesn't see this or consider it important enough to add it to the pinned link. But using shift right clicking to open the properties of the pinned links allowed me to append the user line and fix the link, then WinAerotweeker fixed the icon cache. I have heard of WinAerotweeker before but never really wanted to use it for fear of messing up my system so I just used a portable version and sure enough it fixed the icon cache right away.

I might still copy the desktop shortcuts to the start menu, if anything I would just kinda like to have live tiles for each profile. About a week ago I stopped ignoring live tiles and actually started using them as shortcuts for crap I used occasionally but not often enough to have cluttering my quick launch pinned icons area.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 13, 2019