Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Montegoraon posted:

They'll let anything be a legendary pokemon these days. That title used to mean something back in the day, dagnabbit.

Gen 1 Arcanine would disagree with you, but hey. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Have you seen it's sprite? That pup is magnificent and it knows it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Legendary doge, best doge. But yeah, Arcanine is cool and its design is based on Chinese temple guardian statues. They're called Foo Dogs.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cardiovorax posted:

Robot Bugs are awesome, I just wish Genesect wasn't so boring design-wise. It's kind of hard to find it cool when it looks so bland.

I wish they'd change Techno Boost to Bug-type. I hate it when a Pokemon's signature move doesn't have STAB.

Montegoraon posted:

They'll let anything be a legendary pokemon these days. That title used to mean something back in the day, dagnabbit.

But three of the Kanto legendaries were just birds tied to the seasons.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Black Robe posted:

:emptyquote:

Like Zeraora. How many people in this thread even know this fucker exists? I didn't until very recently.

Zeraora has enough letters in common with the already awkward to spell Zorua that many players probably just assume you're referring to that instead. Its design is also very digimon-reminiscent and honestly kinda teflon. I have to keep looking back at it while typing this to keep in mind what it looks like. The second my eyes slide off it, it slides right out of my mind.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Zorua, Zeraora, Zoroark, what is it with Gamefreak and those names, anyway? Do they just really likes Zs or is this some kind of Japanese pun I'm not getting?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Maybe they're making up for not having a Pokemon Z?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's a badass prehistoric bug that was resurrected and then Team Plasma turned it into a robot and stuck a giant laser on it :colbert:

But that makes it more like a Digimon. Not that that's inherently bad or anything...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kyrosiris posted:

Gen 1 Arcanine would disagree with you, but hey. :v:

It was supposed to be the fourth Legendary in Kanto, but got downgraded at the last minute and had Growlithe created. Not sure why, but that’s what happened, apparently. Probably for the best since we’d either have two Fire legends, have a seemingly random tiger-dog in with three birds, or lose out on a Good Boy.

I wonder if it would have had a different type if the original plan went through? Would it be Ground or Grass to complete the elements or something?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Geostomp posted:

It was supposed to be the fourth Legendary in Kanto, but got downgraded at the last minute and had Growlithe created. Not sure why, but that’s what happened, apparently. Probably for the best since we’d either have two Fire legends, have a seemingly random tiger-dog in with three birds, or lose out on a Good Boy.

I wonder if it would have had a different type if the original plan went through? Would it be Ground or Grass to complete the elements or something?

How are you forgetting mewtwo in all of this? There was already another legendary outside of the trio.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It depends on if you define legendary as "has an associated legend" or "has a really high BST." Mew is a pokemon of legend. Mewtwo just has legendary stats. :shrug:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

U.T. Raptor posted:

It's a badass prehistoric bug that was resurrected and then Team Plasma turned it into a robot and stuck a giant laser on it :colbert:

Cardiovorax posted:

Robot Bugs are awesome, I just wish Genesect wasn't so boring design-wise. It's kind of hard to find it cool when it looks so bland.

I don't dislike it, it's just not very bug presenting. :mad:

Also yeah, it's not really a 'legendary' in terms of the storyline sort that we've had slowly show up since Gen 3 on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

It depends on if you define legendary as "has an associated legend" or "has a really high BST." Mew is a pokemon of legend. Mewtwo just has legendary stats. :shrug:

I mean, it's a mythical one of a kind genetic experiment gone wrong hiding in the deepest, most dangerous cave in the region and only referenced in the dusty diaries of a burnt down lab. That's definitely creature of legend stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it really only counts as a legend if people know about it, so... urban legendary, I guess? Is that a class of pokemon? If not, then it should be, just so you can put Missingno in it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly the first pokemon that felt legendary in anyway in the series who you could actually encounter in the base game was Ho-Oh.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I dunno. Mewtwo had the lab, and the legendary birds got mentioned by a decent handful of birdkeepers. It got the vibe across given the limited platform.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it's also from the first game, so the whole "legendary pokemon are actually pokemon from legends" thing hadn't really been all that established in the world-building yet in any case. That really only started to become a thing with Gen2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Zorua, Zeraora, Zoroark, what is it with Gamefreak and those names, anyway? Do they just really likes Zs or is this some kind of Japanese pun I'm not getting?

Well, "Z" is the least common letter in English and still pretty rare in Japanese, which makes these seem unique. It adds to the legendary status, it's also why English alien planets have names like Zobrax or Wyxzyw and whatnot, makes it seem more alien.

...not for me tho, in Polish "Z" is worth one point in Scrabble :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Kikas posted:

...not for me tho, in Polish "Z" is worth one point in Scrabble :v:
Eurobro! :hfive:

And I am not really surprised about that at all. With a language that has words like "Przybyszewski," it would be. :v:

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Miss posted:

not just a centaur, a CHUBBY CENTAUR, the best kind of centaur

OMG it's a centaur corgi!

Centorgi!

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Black Robe posted:

Like Zeraora. How many people in this thread even know this fucker exists? I didn't until very recently.

:same:

It also doesn't help that the thing just looks like Electric Lucario.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Just binged the LP so far. Fantastic!

Miss is a treasure and must be protected at all costs. :five:

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Black Robe posted:

It's a movie/TCG tie-in Pokemon that came out just last year, half a year after the so-so New Game+ version of the latest region, with a boring typing and design to boot. You couldn't make a more forgettable legendary if you tried.

Most other movie-related Pokemon have something else to make them memorable: Jirachi was obtainable from a disc that came with Pokemon Colosseum and you could use it on as many versions as you liked iirc, Phione and Manaphy had that unique breeding thing, Hoopa was referenced in a method to obtain old legendaries in a later version and Volcanion had the virtue of an extremely unique type combination. Only people who've already seen the movie are going to know anything about Zeraora besides "electric Lucario," a concept which is probably only interesting to furries if anyone.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, it's also from the first game, so the whole "legendary pokemon are actually pokemon from legends" thing hadn't really been all that established in the world-building yet in any case. That really only started to become a thing with Gen2.

Legendary Pokémon are basically cryptids, in a world where actual cryptids are bog standard everywhere. They fill similarly the same roles in mythology, too - while a sphinx or unicorn has some sort of magical, mythical basis, you can't quite say the same about Bigfoot or Mothman or Chupacabra or a jackalope.

But you'll still get as many people looking at you like you're trying to con them if you say you have one on your team.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

KataraniSword posted:

But you'll still get as many people looking at you like you're trying to con them if you say you have one on your team.

Rapidash with a lovely ceramic horn strapped on and someone claiming it's a new evolution of it they discovered.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like Zeraora. :smith:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Vandar posted:

I like Zeraora. :smith:

I like its design, though everything said about it isn't wrong. I hate its name and I'll never know if I'd like using it on a team because, as has been said previously, event-only pokemon exist only to spite 99% of players. There is no reason to make something so limited that most people will never get to play with except malice.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zeraora is better than Lucario because it doesn't have a giant honking nose.

quote:

Legendary Pokémon are basically cryptids, in a world where actual cryptids are bog standard everywhere. They fill similarly the same roles in mythology, too - while a sphinx or unicorn has some sort of magical, mythical basis, you can't quite say the same about Bigfoot or Mothman or Chupacabra or a jackalope.
The later ones are definitely supposed to be more the sphinx or unicorn type, though. The average pokemon is already often based on a cryptid (Nidorans are basically jackalopes) but the big, world-shaping ones are fairly clearly supposed to be legendary in the "of myth and legend" sense. Palkia and Dialga have more of a cultural analogue in an obscure myth about the Greek titans than in a story about the tsuchinoko.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 5, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Nothing about Zerora seems at all grandiose or mysterious enough to be a Legendary. Frankly, all it needs is a pre-evolution and it wouldn’t seem any different than any other semi-humanoid Electric type. I’m convinced that’s exactly what it was before it got repurposed into being restricted as a “Mythical”.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Legendaries after Gen 5 just haven't been doing it for me.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The Legendaries after Gen 5 just haven't been doing it for me.

Reshiram is majestic as gently caress and I will fight anyone who doesn't like it. :colbert: But yea, as much as I like Lunala in Gen 7...not as much a fan of Solgaeo, Yveltal or really most of the Gen 6 legendaries/psudo legendaries.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kemix posted:

Reshiram is majestic as gently caress and I will fight anyone who doesn't like it. :colbert:

But I said AFTER Gen 5.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm personally a big fan of Xernias and Lunala, but to each his/her own.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I had to look at this for a while to realize that you'd glitched to show both the PC and following pokemon in the same space. I couldn't figure out if this was supposed to be a new character I was supposed to recognize. Has this been happening and I just didn't notice before?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Xerneas works well as a life-aligned legend. It's a tree that turns into a pissed off spiky deer, it's very spirit-of-the-forest. Most legendaries tend to fall flat for me and just seem like ordinary pokemon, and a lot of their designs are kind of robotic.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Solgaleo is okay, but we all know that the best sun is the dog sun.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yes, we established that fire dog is the only true legendary.

Amaterasu would be a cool base for a Delta Arcanine design, now I think about it. Shame I can't art worth a drat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The big reason why legendaries don't feel special to me right now is that they're so many of them. In the first game and to a lesser extent the second, there weren't many of them. Now that we've had 7 games worth of adding 3-5 legendary monsters and a bunch of event legendaries on top of that the new ones feel like "another legendary pokemon" and not a LEGENDARY pokemon.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That the designs until SuMo were so same-y (see the "yet another robot dragon" criticism) really didn't help make them feel more unique and distinct in the player's mind, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I still don't think I could tell Dialga, Palkia, Kyurem, Reshiram, and Zekrom apart at a glance. At least Groudon, Kyogre, Xerneas, and Yveltal are spiky robot animals instead of spiky robot dragons and have actual colors on them