Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VW does it through the user accesible settings in infotainment.

Oh now that's sweet. I need to use my $texas programmer for Porsches (and GMs - the EFI Live is quite a spendy box/cable as well)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VW does it through the user accesible settings in infotainment.

Quite frankly I'm surprised, seems like that'd be ripe for abuse by people who want to under report miles driven (i.e. a lease).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm too lazy to do the math but I think it's a very marginal difference.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

my morning jackass posted:

Budget: 3k
Body type: midsize/SUV/light pickup
Use: commuting, probably some hauling of lumber or whatever
Important considerations: good clearance, snow reliability, easy maintenance

I’m about to move across the country to the cape breton highlands for work. My 07 legacy just blew a cylinder and has given me enough reason to let it go after many happy years of ownership. I need something reliable that can handle driving in very snowy conditions frequently. I’ll need 2 vehicles eventually but this one will just be a beater as was planned for the legacy before its demise.

I was looking at used rangers because I hear they are very reliable and could easily handle the weather of where I am moving but I would love other recommendations. I may just get the non-beater before I go and drive that down as it seems a bit more straightforward given I have less than a week to figure this out.

I wouldn't call a Ranger a good choice if one of your primary concerns is great at winter driving. But it would meet the other criteria, fairly reliable, cheap parts, low resale value, etc.

Finding a good (reliable) suv for under 5k is pretty much impossible. Almost all of the 90s and 2000s SUVs were very expensive to run and prone to breakage (the few that are good, like old Toyotas are going to be way over your budget). I wouldn't really recommend anything from that generation. I guess an old Escape but that wouldnt give you tons of room for wood.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Quite frankly I'm surprised, seems like that'd be ripe for abuse by people who want to under report miles driven (i.e. a lease).

I’m probably talking out my rear end but I think it only impacts the speed displayed to the user.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation
What is the present opinion on Hyundai with respect to reliability? I'm considering a 2019 Santa Fe 2.0L turbo AWD.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Veinless posted:

What is the present opinion on Hyundai with respect to reliability? I'm considering a 2019 Santa Fe 2.0L turbo AWD.

Good. I'm not familiar with that engine in particular or Hyundai turbos, but overall the brand is very reliable, just in that 2nd tier behind Toyota. And coupled with Hyundais price points, they are usually a very good fiscal choice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m probably talking out my rear end but I think it only impacts the speed displayed to the user.

The odometer reading is based, along with the speedometer, on the count of wheel rotations and the distance traveled per wheel rotation, so if the latter number is incorrect, you will have both speedometer error and odometer error.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
But if you can adjust the electronic speedo to account for wheel size it would be trivial to make the electronic odometer take that into account in the software.

But this is a vw so I wouldn't be surprised that they aggressively made everything bad out of spite.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The odometer reading is based, along with the speedometer, on the count of wheel rotations and the distance traveled per wheel rotation, so if the latter number is incorrect, you will have both speedometer error and odometer error.

Reading more about this, the MFD adjustment for winter tires only seems to set a secondary speed warning as a percentage of the normal speed warning.

Looks like you have to do it through VAGCOM

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Thinking of getting a 2015 or 2016 Lexus IS 350, preferably a F-Sport model, anyone know of any red flags about these cars. I'm older now and do a 100 mile commute and the MR2 Spyder is getting a little rougher on my back.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TooLShack posted:

Thinking of getting a 2015 or 2016 Lexus IS 350, preferably a F-Sport model, anyone know of any red flags about these cars. I'm older now and do a 100 mile commute and the MR2 Spyder is getting a little rougher on my back.

Nope, they are pretty great choices. Of all the luxury brands, Lexus is by far the best choice from a ease of ownership standpoint.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 3, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I need to buy a nice hatch for the wife so I can buy my R8 and keep the LSM3.
Went and looked at an abarth 595 today. Too small but pretty fun.
Tomorrow going to look at Mini Cooper S which seems to be the sweetspot for quality/reliability/speed/fun.
Discounted the Fiesta ST just because she doesn’t like it. Pretty chav image over here.
The Polo GTI is the other front runner but vw reliability lately is meh and it looks less nice than the mini to her.
Needs to be an auto. Anything else I should check out before I commit?
Staying away from French stuff because I currently own a Clio R27 haha.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mini's are still pretty hit or miss reliability wise. Turbos in particular can be a trouble spot with the minis.

For that much money I'd much rather get a C-class but I get that might not be wifey's style.

Im guessing you dont want an A3 for her? Maybe shop a small BMW too.

edit: I'm dumb and missed the spot about this is for UK cars and you want a hatch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Beater truck chat, buy one before you go to where you’re going to need it. In areas they’re popular they sometimes command a higher price. You can probably save a couple grand this way

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
Hey cargoons I need some help. I'm absolutely not a car guy - I've had the same Camry for 20 years. I don't drive all that much (my 20 year old Camry has 58,00 miles on it) so I'm looking for something that will last for a while but I really don't want another sedan.

Proposed Budget: $35,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: CUV
How will you be using the car?: I don't commute to work so the only driving I do is running errands on the weekends and short road trips
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: My wife wants heated seats and I'd like a decent sound system
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and easy maintenance

I've been looking at Nissan Rogues but it seems like some of you have some negative opinions of them. I test drove a RAV 4 but wasn't super excited about it. I've also been thinking about a Jeep Cherokee or a Subaru Forester.

Also, is there any advantage to paying cash for a new car or will I get a better price if I finance it and pay it off early?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

smg77 posted:

Hey cargoons I need some help. I'm absolutely not a car guy - I've had the same Camry for 20 years. I don't drive all that much (my 20 year old Camry has 58,00 miles on it) so I'm looking for something that will last for a while but I really don't want another sedan.

How will you be using the car?: I don't commute to work so the only driving I do is running errands on the weekends and short road trips
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: My wife wants heated seats and I'd like a decent sound system

I've been looking at Nissan Rogues but it seems like some of you have some negative opinions of them. I test drove a RAV 4 but wasn't super excited about it. I've also been thinking about a Jeep Cherokee or a Subaru Forester.

Also, is there any advantage to paying cash for a new car or will I get a better price if I finance it and pay it off early?

If you're only going to put ~3000 miles per year on it, reliability in and of itself doesn't really matter. The car will rarely need any service outside of oil changes regardless. Parts will need to be replaced based on age and oxidation before they wear out.

So my advice is to find one you like and enjoy it.

Here's a few to take a look at:
Honda CR-V
Mazda CX-5 or CX-9 (larger version)
Subaru Forester or Ascent
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Chevy Traverse
VW Atlas
Hyundai Tucson
Kia Sportage

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’d test drive a grand Cherokee with those parameters. Maybe it would have to be lightly used to meet 35k

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

smg77 posted:

Mazda CX5 !

Honda CRV if you are ok with smaller and want something fairly worry free. Honda Pilot will be outside of your budget but is a great car.
Toyota Highlander if you can budget it. Cross shop a Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe.
VW Tiguan is worth a look.

I'd avoid the chevy traverse and the jeep cherokee, both are far back in its class in terms of value/reliability.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He doesn’t really drive enough for reliability to ever matter.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Budget: 10k USD, maybe 12 for the right car.
Used
Body: Sedan or Coupe. I like coupes but another sedan won't kill me
Usage: Work commute and around town, occasional road trip.
Important aspects: Comfortable ride, a few luxury amenities would be nice (has to be at least as well equipped as my 02' Lexus ES300, shouldn't be too hard in 2019). Reliable. I don't obsess much over gas mileage.

I was thinking of going one of two ways. Either a 2016ish Corolla or Elantra, or a 2008ish Lexus ES350. I've had good luck with buying used Lexuses in the past (my 02' has been rock solid in the 4 years I've owned it) so I wouldn't think twice about a good used one with a maintenance history. If I had to drop another grand for a timing belt replacement, that's perfectly fine. (Mine needed it too when I bought it).

Really at the end of the day I just want a nice riding trouble free car that is easy on the eyes and has some fun amenities. I have also heavily considered a Miata but that would mean depending on the Lexus for road trips and it's about to hit 200k. It's in pretty good condition but I get paranoid driving it long distances.

Edit: Easy to work on and inexpensive parts is pretty important too. My Lexus shares most of it's parts with the Camry so it's really cheap and easy to repair the odd things it's needed here and there. Other than one bank of spark plugs being virtually inaccessible, I haven't encountered anything I couldn't fix myself easily.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 6, 2019

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

euphronius posted:

He doesn’t really drive enough for reliability to ever matter.

He put it in his own preferences. Also friends dont let friends buy fiat.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Even if you don't drive much, having your car break down or catch on fire is a pain in the rear end.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Budget: 10k USD, maybe 12 for the right car.
Used
Body: Sedan or Coupe. I like coupes but another sedan won't kill me
Usage: Work commute and around town, occasional road trip.
Important aspects: Comfortable ride, a few luxury amenities would be nice (has to be at least as well equipped as my 02' Lexus ES300, shouldn't be too hard in 2019). Reliable. I don't obsess much over gas mileage.

I was thinking of going one of two ways. Either a 2016ish Corolla or Elantra, or a 2008ish Lexus ES350. I've had good luck with buying used Lexuses in the past (my 02' has been rock solid in the 4 years I've owned it) so I wouldn't think twice about a good used one with a maintenance history. If I had to drop another grand for a timing belt replacement, that's perfectly fine. (Mine needed it too when I bought it).

Really at the end of the day I just want a nice riding trouble free car that is easy on the eyes and has some fun amenities. I have also heavily considered a Miata but that would mean depending on the Lexus for road trips and it's about to hit 200k. It's in pretty good condition but I get paranoid driving it long distances.

Edit: Easy to work on and inexpensive parts is pretty important too. My Lexus shares most of it's parts with the Camry so it's really cheap and easy to repair the odd things it's needed here and there. Other than one bank of spark plugs being virtually inaccessible, I haven't encountered anything I couldn't fix myself easily.

Corolla or Elantra are both fine choices. I'd throw in 2012+ Camrys as well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

I need to buy a nice hatch for the wife so I can buy my R8 and keep the LSM3.
Went and looked at an abarth 595 today. Too small but pretty fun.
Tomorrow going to look at Mini Cooper S which seems to be the sweetspot for quality/reliability/speed/fun.
Discounted the Fiesta ST just because she doesn’t like it. Pretty chav image over here.
The Polo GTI is the other front runner but vw reliability lately is meh and it looks less nice than the mini to her.
Needs to be an auto. Anything else I should check out before I commit?
Staying away from French stuff because I currently own a Clio R27 haha.

Nice or fast or some combination?

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zapplez posted:

Mazda CX5 !

Honda CRV if you are ok with smaller and want something fairly worry free. Honda Pilot will be outside of your budget but is a great car.
Toyota Highlander if you can budget it. Cross shop a Hyundai Tucson or Sante Fe.
VW Tiguan is worth a look.

I'd avoid the chevy traverse and the jeep cherokee, both are far back in its class in terms of value/reliability.

I hadn't even considered a Mazda but I'm going to check out the CX5. My first car back in high school was a Mazda 323 and I loved the hell out of it. It looks like Highlanders are going to be out of my price range unless I buy used. The Hyundai Santa Fe looks interesting too...probably going to go test drive one of those as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Deteriorata posted:

If you're only going to put ~3000 miles per year on it, reliability in and of itself doesn't really matter. The car will rarely need any service outside of oil changes regardless. Parts will need to be replaced based on age and oxidation before they wear out.

So my advice is to find one you like and enjoy it.

Here's a few to take a look at:
Honda CR-V
Mazda CX-5 or CX-9 (larger version)
Subaru Forester or Ascent
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Chevy Traverse
VW Atlas
Hyundai Tucson
Kia Sportage

Thanks for these suggestions. The VW Atlas looks very interesting but might be out of my price range. There are a couple dealerships in town that have some 2018 models in stock that I think I'll go check out

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Proposed Budget: $11,000 at most
Body Style: Easy to get in and out of for lower mobility elderly (no deep seats, crawling in, etc).
How will you be using the car?: ~20 miles a week at most around town. Groceries, church, family visits. Rarely highway.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and ease of getting in and out.

My in-laws need a new vehicle. I have very little input or influence on this decision, but I'd like to at least be able to point them to some things to think about and maybe cars/makes to consider. They're not car savvy, so will likely be going through something like Carmax. I can't help with the actual purchase (in another state and other family is already involved).

Their biggest concern is getting in and out of the vehicle due to physical limitations (just age related, not in a wheelchair or anything). Because of this they're looking at SUVs, which probably isn't ideal given their small budget. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

incogneato posted:

Body Style: Easy to get in and out of for lower mobility elderly (no deep seats, crawling in, etc).
How will you be using the car?: ~20 miles a week at most around town. Groceries, church, family visits. Rarely highway.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and ease of getting in and out.

My in-laws need a new vehicle. I have very little input or influence on this decision, but I'd like to at least be able to point them to some things to think about and maybe cars/makes to consider. They're not car savvy, so will likely be going through something like Carmax. I can't help with the actual purchase (in another state and other family is already involved).

Their biggest concern is getting in and out of the vehicle due to physical limitations (just age related, not in a wheelchair or anything). Because of this they're looking at SUVs, which probably isn't ideal given their small budget. Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

Its going to be tough to find any CUV/SUV at that price point in good condition. If you give me your zip code I'll take a look.

We always recommend CRVs, Rav4s, MX5 and Tucsons/Santa Fes in this thread. I'd avoid Nissan,Dodge and Mitsubishi as a rule. You will find a ton of 5 year old Rogues, but don't be fooled, they are junk cars and their CVTs will blow up any second.

Wildcard recommendation is Ford Flex. Its basically a minivan in a neater package and its very easy to get in and out of, and easy to see out of.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Nice or fast or some combination?

Yeah a combination man.
Just fun, nippy and nice. Needs to be well put together.
Off to the mini dealer now and they have a JCW in stock. Hoping I can resist.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

incogneato posted:

My parents were in the same boat and ended up with a Subie Crosstrek, I’d think you could find a clean, used one for $11K. The 2.0 in the Crosstrek doesn’t have the head gasket issues that plague the larger motors. They’re a bit slow for my taste, but I’m a leadfoot, should be fine for older folks.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah a combination man.
Just fun, nippy and nice. Needs to be well put together.
Off to the mini dealer now and they have a JCW in stock. Hoping I can resist.

buy it, join me in this hellscape of European Car Maintenance

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

smg77 posted:

Hey I was in your boat a few weeks ago (and thread pages ago) albeit with polar opposite driving needs. I drove a RAV4, CRV, and a CX-5 on thread recommendation, and wound up buying the CX-5 pretty decisively based on how it felt to drive. So go out and drive one of those, IMO, and work your way to other options from there.

Also, thanks, thread, for helping me find a car to buy! Hope I won't need more advice for a few more years. :v:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

incogneato posted:

The Kia Soul and Buick Encore both have an old-friendly driving position, are pretty cheap, and are decently reliable.

GM has been giving out crazy lease deals on Encores, so the off-lease used market is depressed and you might be able to get a nice one for not much money.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Glans Dillzig posted:

buy it, join me in this hellscape of European Car Maintenance

Just bought a factory order Cooper S. gently caress 😂

I absolutely loved it!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

zapplez posted:

Its going to be tough to find any CUV/SUV at that price point in good condition. If you give me your zip code I'll take a look.

We always recommend CRVs, Rav4s, MX5 and Tucsons/Santa Fes in this thread. I'd avoid Nissan,Dodge and Mitsubishi as a rule. You will find a ton of 5 year old Rogues, but don't be fooled, they are junk cars and their CVTs will blow up any second.

Wildcard recommendation is Ford Flex. Its basically a minivan in a neater package and its very easy to get in and out of, and easy to see out of.

I love my Flex, it's like driving around a couch it's so drat comfortable. My grandma's retirement community uses the Flex exclusively for taking their residents around town because the second row is huge and has tons of leg room to get in and out of.

It's a pretty big car though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I absolutely loved it!

Do a burnout

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zwingley posted:

Hey I was in your boat a few weeks ago (and thread pages ago) albeit with polar opposite driving needs. I drove a RAV4, CRV, and a CX-5 on thread recommendation, and wound up buying the CX-5 pretty decisively based on how it felt to drive. So go out and drive one of those, IMO, and work your way to other options from there.

Also, thanks, thread, for helping me find a car to buy! Hope I won't need more advice for a few more years. :v:

Good choice, the CX5 is the best looking and most fun to drive in that class.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

incogneato posted:

This might be a bit of an odd suggestion but Scion Xb? They're similar to a Kia Soul, easy to get in and out of.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

I absolutely loved it!

You’re a bmw guy it’s not worse than bmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

zapplez posted:

The Flex seems cool but I was honestly surprised to see Ford is still selling a 2019 model. The platform must be old as hell. I'll be very surprised if they don't cut it in 2020 without a redesign.

That's a 2019.