Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

That guy looks obsessed with Metallica

I had 2 friends who looked like that and both thought Metallica was the only good music to ever exist in the history of humanity.

Well, I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

flirty dental hygienist posted:

He was... awkward occasionally, but still an alright guy.

He was alright, now he's altright.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

That guy looks obsessed with Metallica

I had 2 friends who looked like that and both thought Metallica was the only good music to ever exist in the history of humanity.

They sound like Leafs fans. I bet they were Leafs fans. Maybe Flames.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Trabant posted:

He was alright, now he's altright.

Lmao

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Okay so where did they shower and brush their teeth

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Scathach posted:

If HP fans are anything to go by, they didn't.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hm. Checks out.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Scathach posted:

Also magic.

I mentioned this in another thread where it came up, but Rowling made it canon that wizards basically stagnate for decades or centuries because they're really insular and have used magic to solve every problem that Muggles used technology for, so they've never had to develop really past a medieval (or at best Victorian) level of technology and fashion.

The problem is that normally "Do wizards just vanish poop instead of using plumbing?" is the kind of question that a fan asks after thinking about the implications too much, whereas Rowling gleefully took it all the way there herself.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

They sound like Leafs fans. I bet they were Leafs fans. Maybe Flames.

I'm in Calgary. You nailed it.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm in Calgary. You nailed it.

Last time I was in Calgary I saw a guy at Crowfoot station with an Edmonton Oilers hand tattoo. :)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also magic.

I mentioned this in another thread where it came up, but Rowling made it canon that wizards basically stagnate for decades or centuries because they're really insular and have used magic to solve every problem that Muggles used technology for, so they've never had to develop really past a medieval (or at best Victorian) level of technology and fashion.

The problem is that normally "Do wizards just vanish poop instead of using plumbing?" is the kind of question that a fan asks after thinking about the implications too much, whereas Rowling gleefully took it all the way there herself.

I like how she implies they magically wipe themselves. She's really gone all in.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Blendy posted:

I like how she implies they magically wipe themselves. She's really gone all in.

Yeah, the interesting part is that she explicitly went for the full-on "yeah they just shat all over themselves right there in their office or the hallway and then magicked it away" rather than the more historically probable "they excused themselves to poop in buckets" or whatever.

Like, fuckin' animals will excuse themselves to poop, goddamn wizards have no excuses

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Somfin posted:

Yeah, the interesting part is that she explicitly went for the full-on "yeah they just shat all over themselves right there in their office or the hallway and then magicked it away" rather than the more historically probable "they excused themselves to poop in buckets" or whatever.

Like, fuckin' animals will excuse themselves to poop, goddamn wizards have no excuses

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Somfin posted:

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

it's also sort of uncreative, on top of being viscerally gross to the potty-trained majority of the public

like, would there really never be a single wizard or witch who decided to streamline the process by, like, charming their underwear to teleport their poo poo into an active volcano or loving something better than "we just magic the filth away after, I guess"

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

"I ain't gotta, but I - beloved Children's and Young Adult Novelist J.K. Rowling - am going to literally explain poo poo anyway."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SatansOnion posted:

it's also sort of uncreative, on top of being viscerally gross to the potty-trained majority of the public

like, would there really never be a single wizard or witch who decided to streamline the process by, like, charming their underwear to teleport their poo poo into an active volcano or loving something better than "we just magic the filth away after, I guess"

If my understanding of the Harry Potter world is right it is that creativity is actively discouraged if not actually punished.

There are rigid rules, and going against them in any way is bad. The house you get put into at a posh private school when you are 12 defines your entire existence after that. You are either a goodie, (in which case everything you do is good and right and justified no matter what it is), or a baddie, (boo, hiss, look at him, shun him, despise him, also they are ugly.) The magic legal system is a kangaroo court designed to punish wrongthink and dissent.

So I would imagine that the first wizard/witch to go "hey guys, lets stop pooping our pants because it is gross and yucky, there is a better easier way." would have been regarded with at best suspicion, and at worst been outcast as a heretic.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand why anyone cares. It's just the magic equivalent of what actual rich people did before plumbing. This should just be "lol useless fact" the same as if it was revealed that hagrid has a mole on his thigh shaped vaguely like Vermont. Like.. okay.

Even if you are a big fan, caring about this in any way is the real AUG.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't understand why anyone cares. It's just the magic equivalent of what actual rich people did before plumbing.

English kings employed someone to help them have a poo poo. The Groom Of The Stool became a very high-ranking position in the court.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Right. Take a poo poo and use your power to make it go away.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

BrigadierSensible posted:

If my understanding of the Harry Potter world is right it is that creativity is actively discouraged if not actually punished.

At some point Harry uses two wands at once for double magic power and I thought "well why don't they strap like twenty of them together and make a wand bazooka?" Or bomb Voldermort. Wizards loving suck. One wizard goes bad and they can't do poo poo to stop him. They need to consult with muggle defense contractors.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ralph Crammed In posted:

At some point Harry uses two wands at once for double magic power and I thought "well why don't they strap like twenty of them together and make a wand bazooka?" Or bomb Voldermort. Wizards loving suck. One wizard goes bad and they can't do poo poo to stop him. They need to consult with muggle defense contractors.

Maybe there's diminishing returns with exponential risk of it fatally backfiring? That would explain why they don't use fistfuls of wands.

I mean, its not like welding two swords or guns at once is 2x more effective.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Panfilo posted:

Maybe there's diminishing returns with exponential risk of it fatally backfiring? That would explain why they don't use fistfuls of wands.

Im an Ork and this is blasphemous :orks:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Panfilo posted:

This but it's wands

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

You can't use a wand unless that wand wants to be used by you.

Sometimes.

When it's convenient for the plot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't understand why anyone cares. It's just the magic equivalent of what actual rich people did before plumbing. This should just be "lol useless fact" the same as if it was revealed that hagrid has a mole on his thigh shaped vaguely like Vermont. Like.. okay.

Even if you are a big fan, caring about this in any way is the real AUG.

Yeah but royalty still had latrines before indoor plumbing. They didn't just drop trou and take a dump on their throne in the middle of holding court and wait for someone to wipe it up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but royalty still had latrines before indoor plumbing. They didn't just drop trou and take a dump on their throne in the middle of holding court and wait for someone to wipe it up.

Then what’s the point of being a king? Sheesh.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Then why do people call toilets thrones? Checkmate.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

This but it's wands

https://enterthegungeon.gamepedia.com/Bundle_of_Wands

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Panfilo posted:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

This but it's wands

Also every time it shoots a spell it says it in your voice

AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVADA KEDAVRA

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Also every time it shoots a spell it says it in your voice

AVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVAVADA KEDAVRA

That Borderlands 2 gun except it's a wand.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Panfilo posted:

It's also why you don't hold a cannon in your hands or a landmine.

Maybe it's just British wizards that are like this. Maybe there's some good ol boy wizards in Alabama fishing with magic dynamite and shooting at road signs with enchanted rifles.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Maybe it's just British wizards that are like this. Maybe there's some good ol boy wizards in Alabama fishing with magic dynamite and shooting at road signs with enchanted rifles.

Not gonna lie, I'd read the ever-loving poo poo out of this.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Their buckshot magically spreads out so when it hits the sign it spells out slogans like "FUK U OBAMA" and "GOD GUNS GRITS".

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

Ralph Crammed In posted:

From http://www.heromachine.com/2010/07/13/sod-194-never-try-to-sell-fake-skoal-to-a-redneck-wizard/

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Cleet Beauregard and the Four Wheeler of Fate

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

The Sorcerer's Snus

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The Goblet of Fireball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Sorting Spittoon