Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Kinda. Michael is a huge loving dick for doing that to those kids, but some random guy coming into the classroom and saying he'll pay for your kid's college should set off a bunch of "bullshit" alarms. Don't count on some random stranger, even if they are rich, to pay for your kid's college.

I haven't seen that episode, but I can easy rationalize that the parents assumed that Dunder-Mifflin would be paying for it, not Michael personally, probably through some official charity that, you know, fund raises and invests.

But yeah, I'd like to think they'd, you know, check on on the status of that sometime before the kids' graduation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, Michael Scott is exactly the type of person to assure any skeptical parents of his ability to pay and perhaps to even say he’s independently wealthy and just works at a paper company because he loves people.

The man was not smart.

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I haven't seen that episode, but I can easy rationalize that the parents assumed that Dunder-Mifflin would be paying for it, not Michael personally, probably through some official charity that, you know, fund raises and invests.

But yeah, I'd like to think they'd, you know, check on on the status of that sometime before the kids' graduation.

Nah, no one thought it was Dunder-Mifflin money, Michael’s “charity” was named “Scott’s Tots”.

Yeah you would think the parents (or more likely, the school administrators) would have looked into the charity before the kids were ready to graduate but it’s hardly the least believable thing in The Office.

Also the episode implies that Michael had been ducking their calls and avoiding coming to the school. He only does finally because Pam makes him and makes Erin go with him.

Honestly it’s one of my least favorite episodes and literally the only one I skip on rewatch because the cringe is so bad and it hurts to watch Michel crush the dreams of a bunch of kids. But it is a good Erin/Michale bonding episode.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I hate that episode so much. Beginning of the end of The Office for me.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Same. I can barely stand up to cringe comedy anyway so the office wasn't really my jam in the first place, but Scott's Tots was the deathblow.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I never liked the office welp thanks for reading my important opinions

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

the british one was better
:smug:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BgRdMchne posted:

the british one was better
:smug:

Oh, yeah, sure, that's why it ended after like six episodes, and the American version went on for nine years. Explain that one, smart guy.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, yeah, sure, that's why it ended after like six episodes, and the American version went on for nine years. Explain that one, smart guy.

i was joking. i don't watch that british crap. the last britcom i saw was 'allo 'allo

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

dad'd army was the best comedy of all time

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
The British Office was good. But it made Ricky Gervais more famous, which was bad. But that led to him getting a producer for his radio show, which was neutral. But they hired Karl Pilkington, which was great. (But then he got put into too many TV shows filled with dumb scenarios and Ricky Gervais' laughter, which was bad.)

I've seen maybe ten minutes of the US version but a common refrain on Reddit is that it's a great show to put on in the background or fall asleep to, I get what they're saying but that seems like a hell of a backhanded compliment.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

King of Foolians posted:

Nah, no one thought it was Dunder-Mifflin money, Michael’s “charity” was named “Scott’s Tots”.

Yeah you would think the parents (or more likely, the school administrators) would have looked into the charity before the kids were ready to graduate but it’s hardly the least believable thing in The Office.

Also the episode implies that Michael had been ducking their calls and avoiding coming to the school. He only does finally because Pam makes him and makes Erin go with him.

Honestly it’s one of my least favorite episodes and literally the only one I skip on rewatch because the cringe is so bad and it hurts to watch Michel crush the dreams of a bunch of kids. But it is a good Erin/Michale bonding episode.

Really? You don't skip The Banker, a clip show from 2010 well after DVR and "On Demand" programming began, or Stairmageddon, an episode where they tranquilize and ski Stanley the downstairs (also something about Jim and Pam totally breaking up you guys for realsies?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Gervais really is just his character on the office though

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Nah, his character on The Office makes people laugh in the end.

HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYOOOOOOO!!!!!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

christmas boots posted:

You say this like it's a good thing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Queen Combat posted:

Same. I can barely stand up to cringe comedy anyway so the office wasn't really my jam in the first place, but Scott's Tots was the deathblow.

Peep show is a great show starring two of my favorite comedians but I can’t bear to watch it because of the cringe. I’ve been trying to work my way through it for five years.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Queen Combat posted:

You say this like it's a good thing

No, I didn’t.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nah, his character on The Office makes people laugh in the end.

HEEEEEEEEYYYYYYOOOOOOO!!!!!

Savage, incidentally.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I mean if you want an episode that isn't bad but hasn't aged well the Christmas Party in Season 2 hasn't aged really well when a video iPod is the prize.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

uvar posted:

I've seen maybe ten minutes of the US version but a common refrain on Reddit is that it's a great show to put on in the background or fall asleep to, I get what they're saying but that seems like a hell of a backhanded compliment.

I dunno, that's something you don't really get currently. I noticed this when I was back home for Christmas, there aren't really any good, inoffensive, 'put on in the background' sitcoms anymore. Chuck Lorre's stuff debatably, but even Big Bang Theory is ending soon, and that doesn't have the right 'pleasant white noise in the background without needing full attention' that stuff like Friends or apparently The Office does.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Zero One posted:

There is a good series on Youtube going through the history of Nickelodeon. Each episode is about a single show starting at the very beginning. He finally got to You Can't Do That On Television and spends a lot of time talking about some less than appropriate features: body shaming, Playboys, and... lots of boys being put in dresses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl44gvb8b9E

The whole thing is good. The coverage of the problematic stuff really starts about 57 minutes in.

I kind if wondered if the reason YCDTOTV never got a DVD release was that Roger Price realized how creepy all that poo poo would look if you put all in one place. Apparently it doesn't phase him a bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

I dunno, that's something you don't really get currently. I noticed this when I was back home for Christmas, there aren't really any good, inoffensive, 'put on in the background' sitcoms anymore. Chuck Lorre's stuff debatably, but even Big Bang Theory is ending soon, and that doesn't have the right 'pleasant white noise in the background without needing full attention' that stuff like Friends or apparently The Office does.

Probably because the people who do stuff like that are literally dying out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I kind if wondered if the reason YCDTOTV never got a DVD release was that Roger Price realized how creepy all that poo poo would look if you put all in one place. Apparently it doesn't phase him a bit.

Game shows and related genres don't usually get DVD releases, do they? I assume partly because of sheer length and partly because of licensing issues; between all the different guests, product placement... and having a lot of content that'd probably not go over as well today wouldn't help? (I've never seen the show mind you)

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cleretic posted:

An argument why this is happening is that people watch TV differently these days. Due to streaming services they watch the shows they want to watch when they want to watch them. And as such turning the TV to "whatever's on" isn't as much of a phenomenon.

And as to the inoffensive fluff people half watch whilst doing other stuff, I would say that the modern equivalent is your 600lb life, midget bachelor, real housewife stuff that seems to be playing nonstop on a certain channel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I bought a Scott’s tots shirt for a friend but TBH i kinda want one myself. I love how much pain that episode inflicts on people. It’s amazing.

Also it hurts less if you watch Always Sunny before hand.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BgRdMchne posted:

dad'd army was the best comedy of all time

Probably.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Leavemywife posted:

The most important part of telling a joke is knowing when to stop.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Jedit posted:

The most important part of telling a joke is knowing when to stop.

I mean, I could probably write six good episodes of something and I'm a dumbass.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
UK series usually only have a few series of like 6 episodes each before calling it a day. Brass Eye, The Day Today, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, all are pretty much classics and only have max 30 episodes each.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Peep show is a great show starring two of my favorite comedians but I can’t bear to watch it because of the cringe. I’ve been trying to work my way through it for five years.

You're not alone. The show is genius but it's like watching a car accident in slow motion. I keep having to hit pause and take a break.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Convex posted:

UK series usually only have a few series of like 6 episodes each before calling it a day. Brass Eye, The Day Today, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, all are pretty much classics and only have max 30 episodes each.

I remember the BBC had a go at trying to make 13 episode seasons a thing for a few shows after it worked for Doctor Who. You had Merlin, Robin Hood and Atlantis and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. Of course Doctor Who is the only one left which I think gets that many per season and even it struggles.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Modern Family?
The Goldbergs?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

My complete collection boxset of Fawlty Towers is like 2 regular DVD discs. :v:

Unrelated : Still waiting for Happy Endings to come back.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mooseontheloose posted:

Modern Family?
The Goldbergs?

Yeah, the ABC shows are a good choice. If you want to inject a little controversy you can always include Blackish.

Or just put on the Food Network. Unless someone in your family really hates red velvet cake or truffle oil you're probably golden.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cleretic posted:

This is why God invented Lofi Beats To Study And Chill youtube channels, hth

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

Modern Family?
The Goldbergs?

For adult and older children? Trailer Park Boys. Not even kidding.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zedd posted:

My complete collection boxset of Fawlty Towers is like 2 regular DVD discs. :v:

Unrelated : Still waiting for Happy Endings to come back.

Happy Endings was awesome. I guess they had a plan for a final season that they never got to use and the whole cast is in purgatory or something.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, the ABC shows are a good choice. If you want to inject a little controversy you can always include Blackish.

Or just put on the Food Network. Unless someone in your family really hates red velvet cake or truffle oil you're probably golden.

I don't know if I am becoming an old man but I laugh at Modern Family a lot. Sure its mostly in offensive but I guess not all humor has to be...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
British humor loving sucks. Brits aren't funny, and you only spend your teens laughing because you don't realize the episode where someone has a horrible opinion but sticks to it is supposed to be relatable because it was for brits who have bad opinions and wish they still ruled other countries despite being dumbasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mooseontheloose posted:

I don't know if I am becoming an old man but I laugh at Modern Family a lot. Sure its mostly in offensive but I guess not all humor has to be...

nah, it's a pretty funny show for what it is. not gonna light any comedy nerd's brains on fire but it's still a step above like, any sitcom on CBS