Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just rewatched The New York Ripper. God I love how loving nasty this movie is. Fulci was never one to hold back but this movie is just nuts. I wouldn't even know how to talk to someone who isn't very deep into (Italian) horror about this movie.

And I love how the ending just absolutely refuses to give the viewer any kind of catharsis. It's just a big gently caress you to anyone who made it trough the whole movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Watched Noroi, The Borderlands (Last Prayer) and The Last Broadcast. Loved the first, really liked the second and enjoyed the third until the ending.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What was that found footage UFO film that came out kinda recently with several people hiking in the desert and see lights and things just kinda go to poo poo from there?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

What was that found footage UFO film that came out kinda recently with several people hiking in the desert and see lights and things just kinda go to poo poo from there?

Did you forget?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's Phoenix Forgotten :v:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I know I saw that in the theatre and legit forgot every single thing about it within a week.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

It's Phoenix Forgotten :v:

Oh god drat it! Hahahaha, thanks!

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

James Woods Fan posted:

Watched Noroi, The Borderlands (Last Prayer) and The Last Broadcast. Loved the first, really liked the second and enjoyed the third until the ending.

Re:noroi, I looked up the director awhile back and saw he almost exclusively did mockumentaries which made me kind of wary of him maybe being a one hit wonder. Is anything else from him worthwile

Pomp fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 6, 2019

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just finished Phoenix Forgotten. I liked it. It was nothing new but I was definitely entertained.

Pomp posted:

Re:noroi, I looked up the director awhile back and see the almost exclusively did mockumentaries which made me kind of wary of him maybe being a one hit wonder. Is anything else from him worthwile

This is the first film I've seen of his. I would very much like to know this as well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well Koji Shiraishi doesn't just do found footage/mockumentary horror, he does other horror too, but he seems to specialize in it. But like, he also did Carved: The Split-Mouthed Woman which is pretty good but I'd throw a trigger warning on it. Also he uh, did Kyako vs Sadako for what that's worth. I'm curious what his other found footage style films are like though. His filmography suggests he's only interested in making horror movies for the record.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Windows 98 posted:

I am extremely excited to watch Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer tonight for the first time. God drat do I love bleak and brutal. Please recommend me other things like this. I've seen quite a number of them so digging deep would be appreciated.
Not technically horror, but you should maybe check out the Russian film Gruz 200 (Cargo 200) as well. It has more than a few similarities to William Faulkner's Sanctuary if that tells you anything.

EDIT: poo poo it's even on YouTube (probably not entirely legal, oh well)

david_a fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 6, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Zwabu posted:

Also, if Kvlt! were to receive a serial killer transplant while in hospital it should be a leg or foot where the only effect would be his uncontrollable urge to kick any passer by in the rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzbJeamI7gs

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Phoenix Forgotten, if nothing else, totally nailed the look

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That's about all it did well I thought. I'm waiting for that great Alien Abduction film, but we haven't gotten it yet. Best is still Fire in the Sky. For me personally you have to nail the Grey's and what they do for it to click with me. To me that's the spookiest stuff.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I would've been totally sour on Phoenix if it weren't for the final stretch of tape. I guess Hitchcock is right about movie endings.

Fire In The Sky's UFO sequence is classic but the film surrounding it is not. I too await the great Alien Abduction film.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pomp posted:

Re:noroi, I looked up the director awhile back and see the almost exclusively did mockumentaries which made me kind of wary of him maybe being a one hit wonder. Is anything else from him worthwile

Occult is IMO as good as Noroii, but is more blackly comic and less of a straight horror movie. His others are varying levels of decent to good but not up to the same level

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I really like Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County, for all its problems it’s a genuinely spooky movie. It’s very Night of the Living Dead.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

I really like Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County, for all its problems it’s a genuinely spooky movie. It’s very Night of the Living Dead.

I’ve seen the original The McPherson Tape, is it worth watching Incident at Lake County or does it retread the same ground too much?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve seen the original The McPherson Tape, is it worth watching Incident at Lake County or does it retread the same ground too much?

It’s a bit more polished and easier to watch, for better or worse

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

James Woods Fan posted:

It just occured to me that the ending of The Last Broadcast is literally the "trust no one, not even yourself" meme.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I remember watching "Without Warning" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111735/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_47 on CBS when it first aired. It's a series of fake news reports about an entire town vanishing, a meteor coming to Earth, and all sorts of strange going ons that might just be aliens.

Whole thing seems to be on the Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u81khMVyc

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

The Last Broadcast really billed itself as being the superior, original version of Blair Witch and I would hear internet nerds in the early 2000s, echo this idea.

It's so amateurish and silly compared to TBWP.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Ya know, watching the trailers from Grindhouse again and it really annoys me that we got Machete as a full movie but we never got a full movie of DON'T!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It just occured to me that the ending of The Last Broadcast is literally the "trust no one, not even yourself" meme.

Ah yes, the Stone Cold Steve Austin school of philosophy.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Davros1 posted:

I remember watching "Without Warning" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111735/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_47 on CBS when it first aired. It's a series of fake news reports about an entire town vanishing, a meteor coming to Earth, and all sorts of strange going ons that might just be aliens.

Whole thing seems to be on the Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89u81khMVyc

thanks! this looks cool and i will watch it late some night this week

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

OldTennisCourt posted:

Ya know, watching the trailers from Grindhouse again and it really annoys me that we got Machete as a full movie but we never got a full movie of DON'T!

I think that's mainly because Edgar Wright is smart enough to know when a one-joke parody won't work for a full-length feature and Robert Rodriguez isn't.

If you... are thinking... of making this trailer... into... a movie... DON'T!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/nobojackcontext/status/1081917305431281664

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

God drat, I forgot how boring Ghost Ship is. Kind of sucks that Dark Castle started so strong with House On Haunted Hill and then just nosedived into oblivion.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Here's a weak quick pic I snapped before the sun went down, but this set is pretty goddamn sick. It comes with everything.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Here's a weak quick pic I snapped before the sun went down, but this set is pretty goddamn sick. It comes with everything.

Haha this is cool. Looking forward to the set.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he comes with a jizz cup filled with jizz

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Fart City posted:

God drat, I forgot how boring Ghost Ship is. Kind of sucks that Dark Castle started so strong with House On Haunted Hill and then just nosedived into oblivion.

This raises a question for a good discussion tbh

Aside from Ghost Ship what are other horror movies with phenomenal openings that poo poo the bed immediatly after?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Aside from Ghost Ship what are other horror movies with phenomenal openings that poo poo the bed immediatly after?
Jason Goes to Hell

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Midnight Man.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I watched Escape Room yesterday and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I knew it was going to be super campy, and it was, but it was also weirdly compelling. It was basically a hybrid between would you rather and saw. Specifically the Saw where it’s a group of people going room to room and there’s some sacrifice that has to be made, and people die 1 by 1.
The portrayals it made of PTSD were also really compelling, and nothing in the movie seems too obvious. It was a lot of fun and I hope there’s a sequel.

In not so great movies, I watched Project Europa yesterday, and it was really bad. It tried to toe the line between realistic and ridiculous, but the result of that was just that it was boring, and then stupid stuff happened.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

loving lol

That is quite the accessory for Michael.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lmao what the gently caress is up with those accessories?

Those shots are dope though, CP!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I always wanted a Don't Breathe figure set.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Where do you get those/which set is it? eBay's only result just had Chucky (same figure but with a different head) and Tiffany with the pre-possessed head. No other accessories were pictured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Its this one.

https://www.amazon.com/NECA-Chucky-Action-Ultimate-Tiffany/dp/B07H8LMV24

I got it at a movie/record store that sells a bunch of toys.