Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

Digital_Jesus posted:

The write penalty between R6 and R10 is not really “Minor” and R6 should not really be considered for any situation in which data access speeds are a valid concern.

R6 is for low R/W LTS.

Agreed, that penalty will cripple you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

monsterzero posted:

My boss wants us to build a mini-DR site for our VMs in another building, approximately 1500 feet away from our main data-center to protect us against extremely localized catastrophes (like the building power being shut off). We also need to find a new backup solution, as our current local/cloud product is going EOL.

My initial thought was to build a moderately specced ESXi host with 20TB+ of onboard storage and use that as a repository for something like Veeam. If a tiny meteor hit our DC, I could restore the the nightlies to the host and have us back online. To my limited knowledge, the big catch is that the onboard storage would be inaccessible to our primary hosts, so I couldn't vmotion systems over in a more controlled manner.

This brings me to my current thought: a host and a iSCSI array in the DR closet. Our main storage is a pair of GbE iSCSI NetApp arrays specced by my predecessor. They've been pretty reliable, but I don't think we can afford NetApp for this projects and we are using zero of the arrays' advanced functions.

My budget is $25k, but that has to include ~$8k of licensing and a UPS. Would something like a Synology RackStation with a dozen 3.5" NAS drives be a good fit for my usage? Again it would primarily be a backup repository, and only host a dozen live VMs under semi-dire circumstances where people can deal with sub-optimal performance.

25k is a bit low for most shared storage applications, synology may be your best bet if built out right.
If you get the money in later years, definitely step up to one of NetApp's lower end 2*00 series units, they perform well enough for something like this.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

NetApp E-Series might be doable.

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
There's also the new Dell ME4 arrays. I hadn't even heard of them until my counterpart in our US office mentioned they are getting an ME4012 here soon. I've don't know what capacity they went with, but I imagine it's in the low XX TB range, and they paid $15K. I haven't shopped SANs in years, but that's certainly lower than anything I remember. I wonder if it's some sort of spiritual successor to the VNXe range?

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
One of my customers got cryptolockered, which is being restored, but I'm wondering if this is a good time to re-do their setup.

Currently it's an office of 5 people and one printer, they have AD on SBS 2011. The server has a shared folder that they use as a NAS, but it's not mapped during login, they just have shortcuts on the desktop to the network location.

the SBS2011 server needs to be flattened as the crypto has encoded everything, exes, ini files the lot, but I was thinking it would be a waste to rebuild it as they could have a simpler setup that would be easier to admin.
(additional edit: I expect they won't have the install media anyway, and it looks almost impossible to find online anymore)

I was thinking:

admin account on all five pcs, but users are still user accounts
Synology NAS, with user accounts (not AD) either manually mapped, ot stick with the desktop shortcut
Manually install the printer on each pc - should only need to be done once.

Synology offers user based access and cloud backup.

does this sound like a reasonable plan? or should I replace SBS2011 with 2008R2 or similar?

As usual, the customer doesn't want to spend money if they can help it, so a Synology device that they can see would be an easier sell than some server licences that they can't.

any tips or suggestions ?

spiny fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 14, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is going all-in on Microsoft 365 an option? Windows 10 clients, Azure AD joined, Intune managed, files on SharePoint etc?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Definitely think long and hard before doing anything other than "the cloud."

spiny
May 20, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Is going all-in on Microsoft 365 an option? Windows 10 clients, Azure AD joined, Intune managed, files on SharePoint etc?

Forgot to mention, they already have 365, so Onedrive / sharepoint could be an option. Alas, the PCs are still win7.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Win 7 is end of life Jan 2020. Now is a good time to start moving.

spiny
May 20, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

yeah, the more I think about it, the more sense this makes

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Internet Explorer posted:

Looking at the reliability and speed of their internet would be the first thing.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Also in no circumstances should you replace SBS 2011 with 2008R2, which is EOLed as of January 2020. In server 2016 you could install the role which makes it function like an SBS server - and presumably 2019 too. But check out the cloud, as people have said.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Happiness Commando posted:

Also in no circumstances should you replace SBS 2011 with 2008R2, which is EOLed as of January 2020. In server 2016 you could install the role which makes it function like an SBS server - and presumably 2019 too. But check out the cloud, as people have said.

I would personally move off of SBS and do 2016 Standard to run AD, then move all other functions to the cloud.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

monsterzero posted:

My boss wants us to build a mini-DR site for our VMs in another building, approximately 1500 feet away from our main data-center to protect us against extremely localized catastrophes (like the building power being shut off). We also need to find a new backup solution, as our current local/cloud product is going EOL.

My initial thought was to build a moderately specced ESXi host with 20TB+ of onboard storage and use that as a repository for something like Veeam. If a tiny meteor hit our DC, I could restore the the nightlies to the host and have us back online. To my limited knowledge, the big catch is that the onboard storage would be inaccessible to our primary hosts, so I couldn't vmotion systems over in a more controlled manner.

This brings me to my current thought: a host and a iSCSI array in the DR closet. Our main storage is a pair of GbE iSCSI NetApp arrays specced by my predecessor. They've been pretty reliable, but I don't think we can afford NetApp for this projects and we are using zero of the arrays' advanced functions.

My budget is $25k, but that has to include ~$8k of licensing and a UPS. Would something like a Synology RackStation with a dozen 3.5" NAS drives be a good fit for my usage? Again it would primarily be a backup repository, and only host a dozen live VMs under semi-dire circumstances where people can deal with sub-optimal performance.

Has your boss defined recovery point objectives and recovery time objectives? If not ask them to do this first. If you want to be up and functional within 1 hour that's different cost then if you want to be up the next business day.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Has your boss defined recovery point objectives and recovery time objectives? If not ask them to do this first. If you want to be up and functional within 1 hour that's different cost then if you want to be up the next business day.

Ha. I had to lock him in a closet until he stopped talking in self-contradictory buzzwords, but eventually he said that restoring from nightlies the next day is sufficient.

spiny
May 20, 2004

The Fool posted:

I would personally move off of SBS and do 2016 Standard to run AD, then move all other functions to the cloud.

neato, putting together a price then :)

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
So I'm looking for advice/opinions. My boss is having me take lead on picking our hosted phone solution, and I'm narrowing it down. Out of the blue one of our old vendors shows us a Jive demo and it doesn't look bad but it's clearly not as polished as a couple of the others we're looking at. However the price is loving ridiculous. Currently I'm looking at Nextiva, Mitel, potentially Bullseye and then Jive. Does anyone have any "OH DEAR GOD NO" when they see any of those?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Comfortador posted:

So I'm looking for advice/opinions. My boss is having me take lead on picking our hosted phone solution, and I'm narrowing it down. Out of the blue one of our old vendors shows us a Jive demo and it doesn't look bad but it's clearly not as polished as a couple of the others we're looking at. However the price is loving ridiculous. Currently I'm looking at Nextiva, Mitel, potentially Bullseye and then Jive. Does anyone have any "OH DEAR GOD NO" when they see any of those?

I'm using Mitel cloud, they bought it from ShoreTel and it's become worse, ShoreTel was already complete garbage. We have phone problems daily. Avoid the gently caress out of them. I hear their on site devices are good, but you said hosted so I assume you want your phones in the butt.

e: And I don't mean small stuff, at least once a month there is a period of over an hour with no phone service where the call queue is over 1000 people long on the support line and by the time I get to someone they tell me there was never any problem and they have no idea what I'm talking about everything looks fine. I have over 300 tickets that have been closed with "User error" when it was their drat fault. They also have sent a tech 3 times, insisted I wouldn't be charged if they found nothing wrong. Engineer said the network is perfect (it's a dedicated network for the phones and it's flat, it's super simple). Well they charged us each time and it took a bunch of yelling to get them to reverse the charges. Engineers are not cheap, especially when they fly someone out.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 20, 2018

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Comfortador posted:

loving invest in quality headsets - solves 50+% of poo poo quality call issues. The other 48% is getting a good internet connection and applying proper QoS to it in the router.

The only "per usage" billing of any consequence in the backend is on the telco usage (calls to/from other phone numbers - not between pbx users/extensions) at about 1-2c/min. You can get billed per second/minute, or based upon channel concurrency. 98% of the time you should choose per second unless you run a call center like place.

Make sure they support SIP and WebRTC calls on the PBX and you can bring your own endpoints. Since you'll get nailed for licensing on the endpoint software, find something that actually works for your people. Maybe it's the software the provider supplies (50/50). What I'm implying is that there's lots of free sip clients, but most are ugly poo poo, so you're going to pay for something. Also when people demand a conference phone in the conference room you can easily add one that actually works for the space.

The cost in the backend for adding a new extension is literally the cost of licensing the endpoint. [Implying that if you use your own free SIP client, it should be basically free to add a new extension].

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Comfortador posted:

Toss RingCentral into your list.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had a really good experience migrating my last place to RingCentral, I wouldn't hesitate to switch to them again. They also have an included video conferencing platform built off of Zoom that works really well and the Android/iOS softphone is surprisingly not garbage too.

Edit: only complaint is that somehow I managed to break number reassignment between softphones/physical phones or something wonky like that (we had a lot of user churn and number recycling) but it was nothing chat support couldn't sort out in like ten minutes.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 21, 2018

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Comfortador posted:

We have an on-prem Mitel deployment and it’s pretty capable for the price. Just make sure either you get trained or you pick a vendor who understands these new-fangled computer phones. Due to institutional inertia our phones are administered by a vendor who was great at managing our ancient digital InterTel system, but good lord they’ve been making some facepalmy mistakes now that they’re in VOIP world.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've also used ringcentral. It was fairly easy to set up/support. Any issue support were on the ball to help out. I think we had one issue where the guy on call was an obvious newbie and it took longer to sort out but gently caress it, we all start somewhere.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I get asked from time to time "I'm on o365 already, should I consider E5 and use skype for telephony?" my gut reaction is to say heck no but I've never actually witnessed it myself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I get asked from time to time "I'm on o365 already, should I consider E5 and use skype for telephony?" my gut reaction is to say heck no but I've never actually witnessed it myself.

They dropped or are dropping Skype, their phone is now provided by Teams. I've heard they are reliable but don't have many advanced features if you rely on them. I didn't get further elaboration. It's something to look at, but MS fucks enough stuff up that don't pull trigger without actual references from people in the area.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

SfBo it’s not good if you want to do anything remotely fancy or use third party extensions like you would need to do anything resembling a contact center or a help desk bigger than a few people in one or two queues. Otherwise, for simply p2p and conferencing it works and you don’t have to be a SIP/telephony wizard to make it all behave properly. Teams, idk about. It’s a weird transition period now but it’s hard to actually lose more functionality moving there than you already lost moving off-prem and it seems to also be fine? Haven’t actually used it heavily

If you go DIY on prem SfB you might get lucky you find a telco and get a working SIP trunk in an afternoon of configuration and testing. But that never happens to me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams is fine as a voice service if you don't come to it with a bunch of preconceptions about what a phone system should offer you and try and replicate all that functionality.

If you just need a number and basic things like ring groups then it will be OK.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Teams is like S4B with SharePoint integration.

It's great.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Teams is like S4B with SharePoint integration.

It's great.

yes sharepoint and skype for business two great things

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

but seriously teams is fine. we went with it bc couldn't justify the extra $$/yr to pay for slack. if slack is 10/10 then teams is 8/10 imho.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
From an e-mail a customer sent this morning:

quote:

We are switching our speed from 50x50 to 200x200 for our internet. Windstream is our current provider so not expecting any big issues.

Ah ha ha ha :rip:...

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

* all public IP addresses change *

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

* existing subnet gets thrown away, leaving a single /30 *

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

:cry: I'm doing everything in my power to drop them as a provider when our contract is done.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
*cease and desist letter comes in: it is against the ToC to run services at the end of this connection*

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agrikk posted:

*cease and desist letter comes in: it is against the ToC to run services at the end of this connection*

Someone is about to upgrade to a business line!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Agrikk posted:

Lol is this because you run a static webpage out of your garage or something?

100% surprised they didn't just block 443 inbound on your connection as soon as they sent that (if it is indeed for you)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I was responding to Schadenboner’s post about a customer upgrading their pipe size and not expecting any issuers to come up.

But yeah, before I had Comcast Business they flipped me all kinds of grief because of static VPN endpoints, web pages, API endpoints, etc originating from my end.

Ultimately I was forced to get business and a set of static IP addresses before they shut up about it.

Nowadays they simply gently caress up over and over and over again because I have both a business account (Internet and phone) and a residential account (tv) registered to the same address.

The amount of times I’ve called in with an Xfinity problem to be told the problem is that I don’t have internet access is legion. “Sir, according to this account you don’t have intetnet, so THERE CAN BE NO POSSIBLE WAY you could have internet at that address.”

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Wait Comcast doesn't let you put TV on the same account as business internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

pixaal posted:

Wait Comcast doesn't let you put TV on the same account as business internet?

You can, we have like 6 cable boxes under our business accounts.