Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Wandered in here to see if there was any interest in a Masked Singer thread since I can’t stop thinking about that dumb poo poo, but good to know other people were as horrified by the R Kelly serial. My wife was watching it last night and I was halfway tuned in, but it inspires the exact same disbelief and outrage— and follows almost the exact same format, complete with the half assed disclaimer from the victimizer at the end— as the Leah Remini scientology series. Except, it’s not a shadow organization, it’s one dude. Like... loving go get him. It’s not like there aren’t mountains of evidence? It was infuriating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My understanding is that the industry has a vested interest in turning a blind eye as in addition to his own career he has written popular songs for other artists.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Does the R Kelly thing talk about his habit of wearing sweatpants and constantly messing with his dick at all? One of my friends worked with him in a recording studio before the piss tape thing came out and was telling me about how skeeved out he was by him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Kelly is a deceptively influential and powerful guy in the music biz thanks to his writing and production besides being a multi hit, platinum, grammy and oscar winning, blah blah artist. If anything I've always thought the open secrets about his sex life and the way it took center stage with Aaliyah kind of is what kept him from being generally accepted as a mainstream music legend. No one was stopping him but every time he comes up so does the sex/abuse stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hazo posted:

Wandered in here to see if there was any interest in a Masked Singer thread since I can’t stop thinking about that dumb poo poo, but good to know other people were as horrified by the R Kelly serial. My wife was watching it last night and I was halfway tuned in, but it inspires the exact same disbelief and outrage— and follows almost the exact same format, complete with the half assed disclaimer from the victimizer at the end— as the Leah Remini scientology series. Except, it’s not a shadow organization, it’s one dude. Like... loving go get him. It’s not like there aren’t mountains of evidence? It was infuriating.
Much like Scientology, R. Kelly's used tactics that allow him to mostly operate just within the limits of the law to the point where he's untouchable. And even when he didn't years and years ago, the statute of limitations is probably past on all those crimes now.

There was that part in the doc where the Clarys go to R. Kelly's studio in Chicago to try to see their daughter and no one will open up, so they call the cops to do a wellness check on her and the cops don't even do anything because no one will answer the door.

It's like, yeah, I guess technically that is the law, but really? No one in the legal system is working to take down this fucker who's operating a sex cult? No matter what he wants to call it, that's what it is: a sex cult.

They did say in the doc that he had friends in the Chicago police department, though, so it's like great, he's even bought off the loving cops. But at least it seems like the backlash against him is costing him a bunch of money, since he's had a bunch of his tour dates cancelled and he got evicted from his Atlanta house because he owed tens of thousands in back rent.

I hope this blacklists him in the entertainment industry for good, or is a step towards that at least. If his power there is taken away, hopefully he'll be able to exert less and less control over those girls.

I don't normally want many people to go to jail because I'm aware of how hosed up the US prison system is, but like, R. Kelly does not deserve to be a free man. He's a menace to society and needs to be removed from it. The fact that he's gone this long without doing significant jail time is sickening.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Man, I don't think I could revisit The Boondocks at all. I thought it was hilarious when it was airing, but I'm not sure I knew exactly why I was laughing at it. Every time I remember/hear about something that show did, it seems like the kind of thing that would have aged horribly.

I feel like it's the Cool Black Friend of early 00s edgy cartoons, it was never really as funny as something like Family Guy or as incisive in its commentary as South Park but it was animated in anime style and had kung fu action scenes and a contemporary hip hop soundtrack and occasionally tried to do a serious story-driven episode so you watched it each week.

My favorite Aaron McGruder story was one of the uncredited artists who drew the comic for him (which is the norm for pretty much any big syndicated comic strip) coming up to him one morning when he was playing PS2 and asking him what that day's comic was going to be and he goes "eh just draw Huey and Riley talking and I'll come up with something later"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What is MacGruder doing these days?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lycus posted:

What is MacGruder doing these days?

I don't know what he's doing now but his last thing was Black Jesus with Slink Johnson playing a guy claiming to be Jesus living in modern day Compton.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ComplexMusic/status/1082047557801558017?s=19

Good luck with that, Kellz

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always thought the R Kelly stuff was real, was it ever actually in doubt?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"I'm gonna sue everybody!"
*checks bank account*
"Oh wait"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't think there are a ton of doubters, but I think a lot of people (myself included) just had no idea of the scale of what he's done. And he hasn't really been in the spotlight much recently so people just kind of forgot. Or maybe I just consume different media than I used to so I haven't seen or heard anything about him pretty much since the whole Trapped in the Closet crap.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Basically yeah. Until recently I only knew about the pee tape, it’s only since the sex cult allegations came up that I’ve learned about everything else (although I’m youngish and from another country so I didn’t even know about the Aaliyah stuff, which really should have been raising major alarm bells at the time)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, him marrying Aaliyah and the video tape are both public known facts and completely undeniable. And like I said, I think they were so tied to his public image that it kept him from ever really breaking through as a mainstream superstar/legend that his talent/work probably would have if he wasn't a "low key" monster.

I just don't think he was a widely enough thought about guy or we had any idea of the depths of his poo poo. Like even I kind of dismissed this documentary not because I didn't believe it but because I figured I already knew the gist of it. But now with all the stuff I'm hearing I'm gonna see if I can record a rerun marathon or something because God drat is there more there than I ever thought.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, him marrying Aaliyah and the video tape are both public known facts and completely undeniable. And like I said, I think they were so tied to his public image that it kept him from ever really breaking through as a mainstream superstar/legend that his talent/work probably would have if he wasn't a "low key" monster.

I just don't think he was a widely enough thought about guy or we had any idea of the depths of his poo poo. Like even I kind of dismissed this documentary not because I didn't believe it but because I figured I already knew the gist of it. But now with all the stuff I'm hearing I'm gonna see if I can record a rerun marathon or something because God drat is there more there than I ever thought.
You can watch the entire thing here:
https://www.mylifetime.com/shows/surviving-r-kelly

Also, I wonder if Aaliyah would have come forward and participated in this documentary had she not passed away. She died the year before the pee tape leaked, right?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Escobarbarian posted:

Basically yeah. Until recently I only knew about the pee tape, it’s only since the sex cult allegations came up that I’ve learned about everything else (although I’m youngish and from another country so I didn’t even know about the Aaliyah stuff, which really should have been raising major alarm bells at the time)

I think besides culture just being way worse about poo poo like that 20 years ago Aaliyah refused to talk about it or accuse Kelly and then her death wrecked people and kind of just made Kelly an after thought. I dunno. I still own my copy of Age Ain't Nothing But A Number and knew how creepy that all was but like it was some weird footnote of Aaliyah's tragic young death or something.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

quote:

At the age of 12, Aaliyah signed with Jive Records and her uncle Barry Hankerson's Blackground Records. Hankerson introduced her to R. Kelly, who became her mentor, as well as lead songwriter and producer of her debut album, Age Ain't Nothing but a Number.

:barf:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It sounds creepy as gently caress, yeah, but they explain in the documentary how that's a fairly common saying in the black community (which I wasn't aware of because I'm not black), so R. Kelly was hiding in plain sight by naming the song/album that because apparently that's a thing that a lot of people say. So at the time, I guess that didn't single R. Kelly out as a pedophile, even though that's totally how it looks now.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Nah, R Kelly was a superstar/legend (even if his popularity was more with the black community) and that's what allowed him to get away with it for a very long time. A big running theme in the documentary is how every time R Kelly would get into a huge controversy, he would conveniently drop a huge hit that would make people forget about the accusations and make him look better in the public eye. Cynically, a big reason why the tide is finally turning against R Kelly is because he hasn't had a big hit in ages and there's an entire generation of kids growing up with no cultural connection to him beyond the pee tape stuff.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

HorseRenoir posted:

Nah, R Kelly was a superstar/legend (even if his popularity was more with the black community) and that's what allowed him to get away with it for a very long time. A big running theme in the documentary is how every time R Kelly would get into a huge controversy, he would conveniently drop a huge hit that would make people forget about the accusations and make him look better in the public eye. Cynically, a big reason why the tide is finally turning against R Kelly is because he hasn't had a big hit in ages and there's an entire generation of kids growing up with no cultural connection to him beyond the pee tape stuff.
They did make a point of saying in the last episode that he's still currently signed to RCA Records even though he's not churning out hits like he used to and probably won't put out an album this year or even next year, so I guess the only reason they haven't dropped him is because of his legend status from years and years ago. But it seems like a liability to keep him on, so I wonder how much longer they'll support him.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I stan a legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjsufO9hZwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXc3O6GMZt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eafRE74JGZ8

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HorseRenoir posted:

Well yeah but I guess I feel like Kelly had the talent and success that by all rights his celebrity should have gone mainstream and gone well outside R&B or Hop Hop or the black community or whatever. Obviously the big hits did and people knew his name and voice but he never really "broke through" and became that mainstream presence. And to a certain extent I gotta think that's connected to how his name became so synonymous with jokes and comments about the sex stuff, especially the video.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Maybe they can do Stephen Tyler next... :colbert:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Well yeah but I guess I feel like Kelly had the talent and success that by all rights his celebrity should have gone mainstream and gone well outside R&B or Hop Hop or the black community or whatever. Obviously the big hits did and people knew his name and voice but he never really "broke through" and became that mainstream presence. And to a certain extent I gotta think that's connected to how his name became so synonymous with jokes and comments about the sex stuff, especially the video.

I feel like part of that was very much by design. R Kelly intentionally built his career around the black community and only preyed on black girls because he knew that he would be able to get away with it if whites weren't paying attention.

HorseRenoir fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 7, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HorseRenoir posted:

I feel like part of that was very much by design. R Kelly intentionally built his career around the black community and only preyed on black girls because he knew that he wouldn't be able to get away with it if whites weren't paying attention.

Yeah, I was wondering in my head if it was a case of society subconsciously saying "no, not that guy" or Kelly deciding to not push too far so he never came under too much scrutiny. I'd like to believe the former but the latter seems likely.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Intentionally staying low key doesn't really jive with the kind of arrogance it takes to do that kind of poo poo for so long. I haven't watched the documentary yet though so maybe he is just that calculating and diabolical. Just seems like letting your sexual deviance dictate how famous you are willing to become takes super villain levels of forethought.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pretty much the reason I want to watch this because I always assumed he was just the arrogant monster whose fame and ego was stymied by the poo poo that had gone public, but all the stuff I'm hearing 3rd hand about this documentary makes it sound like he might have been more of a calculating monster than that.

That being said I don't think it takes "super villain" levels of intelligence to say "I can get away with this poo poo if i don't do it to anyone people care too much about." Abusers and predators make that kind of decision when choosing their victims all the time.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 7, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lmao at anyone thinking R. Kelly doesn't/didn't have mainstream popularity. He has 40x+ platinum album sales, and sang the theme to Space Jam. Trapped In The Closet was a huge phenomenon that everyone yuk-yukked at, and that was long after the piss tape was made public. He's as mainstream as it gets.

And yeah, he's not some super genius for getting away with this. He's a talented rear end in a top hat with a support structure invested in his continued success. Case #11,452 of no one really giving a poo poo about what a person does as long as they make lots of money. And more importantly, make lots of money for other people.

Related: R. Kelly Enjoys Sales & Streaming Spike Following Controversial Surviving R Kelly Special’s Premiere

Laterite fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 7, 2019

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is anyone watching the Globes? The Andy Samberg/Sandra Oh monologue is pretty meh.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Josh Lyman posted:

Is anyone watching the Globes? The Andy Samberg/Sandra Oh monologue is pretty meh.

i like both of them but yeah pretty lame so far

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It’s almost like one of those “I had an AI watch every Golden Globes and write one” memes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Josh Lyman posted:

i liked Andy's "joke" about the remaining members of the black panthers being framed and murdered for fighting for equality and justice

and then sighed in resignation

edit: Andy Samberg is a human Labrador Retriever

edit: i'm aware that Sandra's serious speech was very on point but also if she had ended that by looping back into Lady Gaga's story about 99 people ignoring her i would have died

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 7, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That massive subtle spoiler Andy dropped was amazing mind.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

that's a loving Chuck Lorre show holy poo poo

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The only way I can fathom anyone not thinking that R. Kelly wasn’t a big mainstream star is they were either a child or not alive at all in the ‘90s/early ‘00s or they just didn’t pay attention to music.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Spider-Man should really win every award, in every show, regardless of genre or what it was nominated for.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CapnAndy posted:

Spider-Man should really win every award, in every show, regardless of genre or what it was nominated for.

agreed that movie owns. that little cheer MBJ did when he saw what won is how I felt watching that movie for 2 straight hours

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That might be true but the Golden Globes don't mean anything and has no credibility. I rather have a Blockbuster award or people's choice award than a golden globe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As much as the Globes are a fake award, The Americans continuing to get hosed is bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Boo, Wales > England. Hopefully Rhys will get to go on stage for Americans at some point.