Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

poo poo the croc from Rampage was “Not Angiras” enough that it could have been a good substitute in the Legendary Godzillaverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

poo poo the croc from Rampage was “Not Angiras” enough that it could have been a good substitute in the Legendary Godzillaverse

and the wolf literally flew like Varan with the flying squirrel underarm webbing stuff

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm a collector of old style soft vinyl kaiju and I'm going to have a shot at getting one of Sunguts' new Shin Godzillas in February and I'm loving stoked. :cool:

https://twitter.com/SUNGUTS/status/1074303830676799489

I love knockoff Godzillas. Here's one I picked up at a flea market. I love the whack colors, they're just so wrong. I wonder if it's actually worth anything?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh poo poo, it's all starting to make sense!!

That'd be incredible.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ramen Pride! posted:

I love knockoff Godzillas. Here's one I picked up at a flea market. I love the whack colors, they're just so wrong. I wonder if it's actually worth anything?

The Sunguts one is actually licensed; it's just in a real Showa-Era style. I think M-1 has also put out one with that 70s styling but it's not nearly as good. Kayodo and X-Plus put out movie-real style ones that are loving enormous (I still kind of want one but where I would put it and the $1200 price tags are no gos for me).

There are collectors of bootleg figures, but I don't know much about them.

Edit: Sunguts has also put out Form 2 and Form 3 Shin Godzillas in his series and they are all in scale with each other.

Edit 2: the Kaiyodo Shin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDWEAKAKF1M

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2019

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Ramen Pride! posted:

From what I remember reading G-Fan, there's actually a whole separate cottage industry of daikaiju/tokusatsu merchandise and collectible figurines that do all sorts of wacky color palettes and more or less original designs just because it looks cute/cool.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

K. Waste posted:

From what I remember reading G-Fan, there's actually a whole separate cottage industry of daikaiju/tokusatsu merchandise and collectible figurines that do all sorts of wacky color palettes and more or less original designs just because it looks cute/cool.

Yeah that's a big part of the soft vinyl world. Nonetheless, that one pictured looks like a generic Chinese knock-off to be honest.

Ramen Pride! is there any markings on the bottom of that figure's feet at all? If so, please take a photo and I can tell you if it's a Japanese maker or not.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/Mike_Dougherty/status/1080895613468737536

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Das a fuckin' Super-X.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

Das a fuckin' Super-X.

Now all we need is Godzilla vs Kong to have the Gotengo.

Piloted by Don Frye :getin:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Waffleman_ posted:

Das a fuckin' Super-X.

No, that's bate

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LONG

LIVE

MY KING

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Waffleman_ posted:

Das a fuckin' Super-X.

Y'know, I still wasn't sure I believed it in the second trailer. Super-X seemed just a bit too out there for Legendary. But, here we are.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/abogado4213/status/1080802047778119680

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

Y'know, I still wasn't sure I believed it in the second trailer. Super-X seemed just a bit too out there for Legendary. But, here we are.

Dougherty is pretty clearly going balls-out.

And I love it.

I've wanted to see MY KING wrecking poo poo on a big screen ever since I was a tiny thing, and I've got the cash set aside in a shoebox to see it in the theater with a big ol' bucket of popcorn. Anything with Rodan, Mothra or Godzilla is gravy.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Yeah the idea that we are going to have the opportunities to see these 4 chonk boys on IMAX wrecking poo poo is loving BANANAS

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i told my cousin that we'd be watching this the literal first moment we get the file at my theater (so like Wednesday midnight) but i might be willing to wait 42 hours to drive to the biggest screen in driving distance because really that's how it should be seen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Yeah the idea that we are going to have the opportunities to see these 4 chonk boys on IMAX wrecking poo poo is loving BANANAS

I can't do IMAX (even the fauxMAX screens give me the mother of all headaches), but you can be drat sure I am there at my local theater on opening night.

I've never seen King Ghidorah on a big screen. That changes this year. BRING ME MY THREE-HEADED DRAGON KING FROM HELL, DOUGHERTY

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Cythereal posted:

If there's an aliens subplot and a goofy android who looks like an insurance salesman that'll be the icing on the cake :stoked:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Timby posted:

BRING ME MY THREE-HEADED DRAGON KING FROM HELL, DOUGHERTY

This is what the "clapping emoji between each word" was invented for!

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
My son arrives for his summer break right around when the movie starts. We're so stoked.

Also one of my theaters does "DBox" seats where like the speakers are in your seat and it's all immersive if you want to pay extra. I'm hoping this plays with that available. It's worth it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So the director confirmed that the oxygen destroyer exists in the Legendary Goji series. I'm betting Kong vs Big G is going to have Destroyah as the bigger bad that stops Batman and Superman from fighting.

I do wonder where the Oxygen Destroyer might come from in that series. Maybe from reverse-engineering Hedorah?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

The MUTO corpses were left perfectly intact so it's possible that the US military or Monarch reverse engineered a viable non-nuclear weapon from studying them.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Scyantific posted:

The MUTO corpses were left perfectly intact so it's possible that the US military or Monarch reverse engineered a viable non-nuclear weapon from studying them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The MUTOs seem like if you went all X-COM on them you'd more likely figure out more of an EMP weapon or even radiation absorption rather than a weapon of mass destruction.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
We know Monarch has research facilities studying twenty or so dormant kaiju around the world. Sleepy Hedorah or Biollante could be the source.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Was at my parents house and found a Godzilla vs King Kong promo photo in my childhood bedroom.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 7, 2019

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

gently caress I loved that. I am so excited for this movie to be a big dumb pile of cool poo poo like this happening. Crossing my fingers.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Is the 90s mothra series any good?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

Is the 90s mothra series any good?

No.

Monsters are cool but God no.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is Final Wars the only main series movie that make Godzilla's presence into an entirely cuttable subplot? There is still a complete plot with just the aliens and mutants stuff. Even if you left the other monsters in for the Godzilla-less version, they can just be fought by the Gotengo.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shiroc posted:

Is Final Wars the only main series movie that make Godzilla's presence into an entirely cuttable subplot? There is still a complete plot with just the aliens and mutants stuff. Even if you left the other monsters in for the Godzilla-less version, they can just be fought by the Gotengo.

Arguably some of the tropical island Godzilla movies, like Sea Monster or Son of Godzilla

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Shiroc posted:

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, if you reflavored the mecha, could have been just him fighting King Ceasar and changed practically nothing.

Hell, it's kind of a thing with every Jun Fukuda entry in the franchise. He basically does human-scale action adventure films, and then throws in the kaiju almost as an afterthought.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Even when I was younger and more innocent and just happy to be awed by cool giant monsters I was kind of offended by how King Caesar was built up so much by the plot only to be so completely and thoroughly stomped by Mechagodzilla in a two-minute squash. Those ape-men seemed so desperate to stop his revival and when it finally happens it's basically Mechagodzilla vs Anguirus II.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I for one wouldn't mind if more movies cut to out of context Kaiju battles when things start to get boring. Don't like aliens fighting humans? Just cut to king Cesar roundhouse kicking anguirus at Godzilla and then cheering like he scored a field goal.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Shiroc posted:

Destroy All Monsters could function well enough. Godzilla is just one of many monsters who are mind controlled and set against the cities of earth. Godzilla takes a central focus in pretty much all scenes that he's in because he's the most famous, but you could swap him for something else like the giant condor, and the plot wouldn't need to change much.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Karloff posted:

Destroy All Monsters could function well enough. Godzilla is just one of many monsters who are mind controlled and set against the cities of earth. Godzilla takes a central focus in pretty much all scenes that he's in because he's the most famous, but you could swap him for something else like the giant condor, and the plot wouldn't need to change much.

The rocket is the real sfx star of the movie anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well I for one wouldn't mind if more movies cut to out of context Kaiju battles when things start to get boring. Don't like aliens fighting humans? Just cut to king Cesar roundhouse kicking anguirus at Godzilla and then cheering like he scored a field goal.

Maybe Godzilla 14 should have tried that

:rimshot:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

Maybe Godzilla 14 should have tried that

:rimshot:

I won't say it shouldn't have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was just makin' a dumb joke, I like the movie.