Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
That Guy We Ain't Gonna Name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

You might be a redneck wizard when the sorting hat puts you into a mobile home.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Hurpy Durper an' that there Chamber o' Secrets

(the secret is cousinfucking)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Tarnation Ted and the Tennessee Tabernacle

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Avada Dentava is a shocking curse that knocks out all but two of your teeth

Also, First-year students will require:
Three Sets of Plain Bib Overalls (Black)
One Plain John Deere baseball hat (Black) for day wear
One Pair of Protective Gloves (welder's or similar)
One Winter Jacket (Mossy Oak, silver fastenings)
Please note that all student's clothes should carry name-tags at all times.

Pigsfeet on Rye has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Jan 6, 2019

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Whomping Whippets

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Avada Dentava is a shocking curse that knocks out all but two of your teeth

Also, First-year students will require:
Three Sets of Plain Bib Overalls (Camo)
One Plain John Deere baseball hat (Camo) for day wear
One Pair of Protective Gloves (welder's or similar)
One Winter Jacket (Mossy Oak, silver fastenings)
Please note that all student's clothes should carry name-tags at all times.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Natural Pumpkin Ice

Shadownerd
Aug 2, 2007
Fabricati Diem, Pvnc.

Screaming Idiot posted:

This is incredible

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Kharmakazy posted:

I don't understand why anyone cares. It's just the magic equivalent of what actual rich people did before plumbing.

No it isn't? People would mostly either poo poo in an outdoor cesspit (directly or indirectly) or a vessel which they emptied out somewhere (often somewhere unsanitary like a river). The phrasing "relieve themselves where they stood" makes it sound like the wizards just stood there during a conversation, casually started pissing and making GBS threads in full view of each other, and then magic'd it away only after completion. It would have been more intuitive that they did something like excuse themselves to a private place to use a pot which automatically vanished its contents.

It's just really weird phrasing that can't help but conjure up an AUG mental image.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I hate to break it to you but they just pissed in the hallways in palaces.

https://lifeoftheroyals.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/the-toilets-or-lack-of-of-versailles/

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Screaming Idiot posted:

That feller who ain't quite right.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cool kids inc. posted:

That feller who what ain't quite right.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Oooh, lookit me! I'm vole-dee-more-tay! Laa, deeee dah!

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Johnny Lee Ross and the Cur-sed Crawdad

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Alabam.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Alabam.

:eyepop:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

HP and the Goblet of Corn Squeezins

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
HP and the Pillhusslers Meth

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Harry Potter and the Cousins of Marryin'

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Kharmakazy posted:

I hate to break it to you but they just pissed in the hallways in palaces.

https://lifeoftheroyals.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/the-toilets-or-lack-of-of-versailles/

lol

Even worse than poo in the hallways, one Princess d’Harcourt obviously thought she needed no toilet at all, and just relieved herself while walking! Her dresses were disgusting, and she always left a trail wherever she walked. Apparently, this habit was an old French habit.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Harry Potter and the Half Cousin Bride

Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Skoal

Quidditch but played riding tractors instead of brooms

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

BrigadierSensible posted:

If my understanding of the Harry Potter world is right it is that creativity is actively discouraged if not actually punished.

There are rigid rules, and going against them in any way is bad. The house you get put into at a posh private school when you are 12 defines your entire existence after that. You are either a goodie, (in which case everything you do is good and right and justified no matter what it is), or a baddie, (boo, hiss, look at him, shun him, despise him, also they are ugly.) The magic legal system is a kangaroo court designed to punish wrongthink and dissent.

So I would imagine that the first wizard/witch to go "hey guys, lets stop pooping our pants because it is gross and yucky, there is a better easier way." would have been regarded with at best suspicion, and at worst been outcast as a heretic.

I remember a bit in one of the books where one of the mage police is arguing with an old wizard about wearing pants to not stand out in case of muggles and the old wizard insisting he's worn robes all his life like everyone else in his family and he wasn't about to change now and there was nothing wrong with getting some air around his privates anyway.

It's like the more you really start thinking about the reality of the Wizarding World, it's really more horrific than wonderful.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Redneck Wizard And The Half Blood Lynching

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

M_Sinistrari posted:

I remember a bit in one of the books where one of the mage police is arguing with an old wizard about wearing pants to not stand out in case of muggles and the old wizard insisting he's worn robes all his life like everyone else in his family and he wasn't about to change now and there was nothing wrong with getting some air around his privates anyway.

It's like the more you really start thinking about the reality of the Wizarding World, it's really more horrific than wonderful.

The wizards were an alegory for the upper classes.
And the purebloods were an alegory for the upper-upper classes.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah but royalty still had latrines before indoor plumbing. They didn't just drop trou and take a dump on their throne in the middle of holding court and wait for someone to wipe it up.

Some castles were built with toilets overhanging the moat, for example.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Groke posted:

Some castles were built with toilets overhanging the moat, for example.

This would often be the best way of infiltrating the castle with a small squad of soldiers to open the gates, or assassinate the lord.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

This would often be the best way of infiltrating the castle with a small squad of soldiers to open the gates, or assassinate the lord.

No poo poo?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Still less crappy than being first up the ladder to get a facefull of boiling oil.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tashilicious posted:

Still less crappy than being first up the ladder to get a facefull of boiling oil.

With the kind of crap they used to eat, you still might.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

I mean it was great unless you got stuck. Then you just suffocated or dehydrated to death in a poop chute.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean it was great unless you got stuck. Then you just suffocated or dehydrated to death in a poop chute.

Well, in the first place you were already a soldier in the middle ages, so that's pretty far from the worst thing that could happen to you.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

But enough about my pet gerbil.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Welcome to 2019:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
AUG: the human brain is made of 60% fat

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

That would explain a lot, actually.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groke posted:

Well, in the first place you were already a soldier in the middle ages, so that's pretty far from the worst thing that could happen to you.

I think drowning in poo poo has always been pretty high in the "That Sucks Dude" scale of deaths.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
The brain really is nearly 60% fat, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

And you only use 10% of it