Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He successfully used social media before most other comics and grew his audience through that

Also his first album was good, for the time at least, I don’t think I’ve heard it in a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i loved dane cook when i was 13-15. no shame.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

People are saying stand up is a dead and tired art form but I don't know.

Jim Jeffries is top ten all time already I think. Kinane and Stanhope are pretty loving great. Chapelle's specials were good and CK had a good run there. I still like Chris Rock. There's good stuff out there.

Yep.

quote:

Did anyone watch "Bumping Mics" on Netflix? It was pretty hit or miss but I like Jeff Ross and Dave Attell a lot plus I love that improvisational format so I found it worth my time overall. Good to have on the background while you're doing poo poo.

Yeah, I like them, so I enjoyed it.

quote:

What do people think of Joey Diaz?

Entertaining as podcast guest, doesn't grab me as performer.

quote:

Speaking of really popular comics, wtf ever happened to the horribly unfunny yet somehow stupidly popular and uber famous Dane Cook? Did people finally figure out he sucks or did he retire or something? He's like The Big Bang Theory of stand up and how he filled arenas is baffling to me. Like I even get Dice and Kevin Hart packing arenas but how the gently caress did Cook ever claim that throne?

Acting career, I think.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Dane Cook was (and probably still is) a legitimately good/great comic who worked his rear end off (at least from what I've heard other comics say about him) and managed to find an angle to maximize his reach. I was definitely in his ago demo when he was at his peak, so rose colored glass and whatnot, but I would be hard pressed to think of many other comedians who reached such a huge number of people who aren't comedy "fans". The problem is he got SO popular that it became trendy to act like you didn't like him. Public opinion shifted even more after some aggressively meh movie roles, he got a poo poo ton of money stolen by family, and the rest is history.

Edit: he is 46 and dating a 19yr old though, sooooooo

XIII fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 6, 2019

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I feel bad for him in the sense that his brother evidently stole like, a lot of his money. Possibly millions. Also in retrospect the idea that he stole a joke from Louis and got roasted when Louis was stealing peoples careers while sexually intimidating them as well is well, just bad. Cook's first comedy central special I remember loving when it first came out as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

soggybagel posted:

I feel bad for him in the sense that his brother evidently stole like, a lot of his money. Possibly millions. Also in retrospect the idea that he stole a joke from Louis and got roasted when Louis was stealing peoples careers while sexually intimidating them as well is well, just bad. Cook's first comedy central special I remember loving when it first came out as well.

yea I haven't listened to Cook since I was a teenager so it's not like I'm deep invested in his stuff anymore but I kinda feel bad that he's this shorthand for 'god what a piece of poo poo comic' when I guess it turns out his worst crime was stealing from a dude while that dude was being a sexmonster, and also just his persona being kinda douchey but in the spazzy way rather than the deadpan way?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if louis is persona non grata then joey diaz has to be literally hitler, dude has told stories about beating, robbing, and sexually assaulting people for years

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I also largely disagree with the argument that Dane stole either of those bits from Louis. I mean, yes, there is a decent chance he heard Louis telling them, which naturally means he COULD have stolen them, since they both came up through the NY scene, but, really, neither of them feel like such an original idea that anyone, comedian or not, couldn't have come up with them.

bango skank posted:

if louis is persona non grata then joey diaz has to be literally hitler, dude has told stories about beating, robbing, and sexually assaulting people for years

Yeah, this is exactly why I've never been able to enjoy Joey. It's not that he has a shady past, it's that he's proud of it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

XIII posted:

The problem is he got SO popular that it became trendy to act like you didn't like him.

The problem is that his poo poo wasn't funny. A lot of comedians who were far far better were similarly baffled by his meteoric rise. At least with a big star; someone like Foxworthy, Cosby, Dice or Larry the cable Guy, you could kind of GET why a lot of people would like it.

I wouldn't have a problem liking a comedian who was really popular and have liked several who got huge so, no, it wasn't a case of me (or anyone else) being too cool for the room. I swear to God, listening to Cook, to me, was like watching The Big Bang Theory and scratching my head wondering where the jokes were.

E:

Since there are some fans here, please, someone post their favorite Dane Cook bit.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Dane Cook’s made me laugh before, which is more than I can say for some other best-selling comedians. The most popular comics are almost always dire. But I’d watch an early 2000s Cook special way before I sat down for some Jeff Dunham or something.

Also, for some reason his joke about saying “God bless you” instead of just “bless you,” because “I can’t do that” has always stuck in my head and I think about it all the time when people bless sneezes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dane cook was literally never good

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I dunno "My dick feels like corn" always makes me laugh.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Spaghetti basket was funny

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Burger King Drive Thru and Evil Speak N Spell are usually in the back of my head at any given time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Guy who invented the middle finger is funny too.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I think the first album was basically good for its time, and holds up about as well as other comedy from that era. Some of his later poo poo when he was trying to do an edgy makeover of his career by leaning into being unlikable was embarrassing though.

FWIW, I think it's pretty obvious that part of the reason other a lot of other standups didn't like him is because they resented his good looks, especially coupled with his big success. There are a ton of standups who "joke" about getting into comedy because they're too ugly to act or to date without being funny, and I think they didn't want some actor looking guy coming in and stealing their thing.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 7, 2019

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That's a general criticism of the acts they came in his wake such as Jeselnik and Schumer. I don't give it much credence because the results bear themselves out in the end. When was the last time you heard anyone utter the name Anthony Jeselnik?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Dane cook was literally never good

While high-energy comedy doesn't really translate well online... His explanation and demonstration as to why every public restroom has broken doors and 'GODDAMN JEEEEEEEEEWS! BLACKS! AAAAAAGH!!!' carved into the walls was loving hilarious back in the day.

XIII posted:

Edit: he is 46 and dating a 19yr old though, sooooooo

Walking in Jerry Seinfeld's footsteps! Only Jerry went with a 17-year-old. Much more hilarious when you're that big a piece of poo poo.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

That's a general criticism of the acts they came in his wake such as Jeselnik and Schumer. I don't give it much credence because the results bear themselves out in the end. When was the last time you heard anyone utter the name Anthony Jeselnik?

Amy Schumer sure is sexy lol.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

When was the last time you heard anyone utter the name Anthony Jeselnik?
What? He’s awesome. Saw him on the last tour.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

When was the last time you heard anyone utter the name Anthony Jeselnik?

I had an Uber driver bring him up just last week, which kickstarted a whole conversation about standup.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'll take Dane Cook at his worst over Jeselnik's "I'm so edgy" bullshit any day.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The pathos of Jeselnik is good - he's admitted that he's just creating "Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy" jokes, but darker

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Did people here actually listen to the Louis CK set that was leaked? Honestly it's on par with all the other stuff he's done and I wouldn't qualify it as right wing or bad. Not to everyones tastes sure, but now that I've listened to it I find there wasn't much to be outraged at.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Yeah it's pretty terrible and standard Fox News fare these days.

a combination of "YOUTHS!" and a good ol fashioned appeal of extremes to dunk on trans people. He should've capped off the trifecta and complained about avocado toast.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Odddzy posted:

Did people here actually listen to the Louis CK set that was leaked? Honestly it's on par with all the other stuff he's done and I wouldn't qualify it as right wing or bad. Not to everyones tastes sure, but now that I've listened to it I find there wasn't much to be outraged at.

The level of "edginess" was on par with his earlier work sure but there seemed to be a complete lack of alternate perspective or twists on any of the material. The parkland stuff and "I identify as a location" poo poo got the most coverage but there was also the "my jewish kike human being doctor won't let me eat ice cream" and "all chinese people have tiny dicks" poo poo. Disputing the correct amount of outrage is secondary to me in comparison to just thinking it's incredibly lazy work. Also the I thought what was most strikingly right wing about the whole thing was the crowd reaction to a lot of it, like the guy in the crowd shouting "yeah gently caress them!" when the parkland kids came up.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it wasnt that all chinese people have small dicks, it was some chinese people have huge clits

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

"my jewish kike human being doctor won't let me eat ice cream"

How about the five minutes he spent before the punchline where he would set up how his doctor is great, loving and competent?

He worked on setting that punchline for five minutes by saying how nice and gentle and comprehensive his doctor was. The joke comes from the fact he likes the guy until he snaps all of a sudden when he learns that he can't eat ice cream anymore because of too much cholesterol. The punchline of the joke aren't the slurs, it's about how immature and stupid Louis is to hate the man because he can't eat ice cream anymore.

Zoracle Zed posted:

Also the I thought what was most strikingly right wing about the whole thing was the crowd reaction to a lot of it, like the guy in the crowd shouting "yeah gently caress them!" when the parkland kids came up.

Dude, do you really think that audience member was actually lusting for child death?

The set was fine and for something that's getting worked on I found it pretty sharp in some spots. The last joke was killer. The parkland bit was a bit flat.

Jokes really are like frogs. Once you dissect them, they're dead.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Dude, do you really think that audience member was actually lusting for child death?

Yeah gently caress these kids for saying school shootings are terrible and going before Congress! Shut up dumb child and accept that gun violence is fine.

If you think it's good man you should just leave fox news on all day.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Yeah gently caress these kids for saying school shootings are terrible and going before Congress! Shut up dumb child and accept that gun violence is fine.

If you think it's good man you should just leave fox news on all day.

Please quote me back where I've said it's good.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Odddzy posted:

I just said I thought they were lazy. You're the one trying to prove they're funny.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Please quote me back where I've said it's good.

Oh sorry racism and children not wanting to die is "fine" material in progress that we shouldn't judge him for.

:jerkbag:

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoracle Zed posted:

I just said I thought they were lazy. You're the one trying to prove they're funny.

I laughed at some of the jokes, some were silly and puerile but you can take it on faith and if not we've got nothing further to say to each other.

quote:

Oh sorry racism and children not wanting to die is "fine" material in progress that we shouldn't judge him for.

Nice meltdown.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Odddzy posted:

I laughed at some of the jokes, some were silly and puerile but you can take it on faith and if not we've got nothing further to say to each other.

I have no doubt you found it funny lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Posts short essay defending bad jokes from a sex offender

"No you're melting down!"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I still think the main problem for Louis is that he relied on goodwill to take the edge off a lot of his humor before, so he got a pass for saying things a lot of other people wouldn't have gotten away with, and he just doesn't have that amount of goodwill left to rely on right now. On top of that, whether he or you or I like it or not, people really have gotten a lot more sensitive about a lot of topics over the last several years, and while he managed to swim against that current to a large degree for quite some time (though he modulated a bit here and there too), he might have been better off playing nice for a bit if he wanted people to like him again. Maybe using his daughters to rehabilitate himself would have been lovely in another way, but talking more about them without calling them cunts could have probably helped.

Obviously he's rich and can do whatever the gently caress he wants, so if he's fine with alienating a bunch of people, good for him. I just don't think he's going to be very happy with the audience he ultimately ends up with if he decides he doesn't give a poo poo about all of this.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Posts short essay defending bad jokes from a sex offender

"No you're melting down!"

You don't get to have a say on if you found a joke good or not when you don't understand it.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Odddzy posted:

You don't get to have a say on if you found a joke good or not when you don't understand it.

Odddzy posted:

Did I think to much or not enough?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sinteres posted:

I still think the main problem for Louis is that he relied on goodwill to take the edge off a lot of his humor before, so he got a pass for saying things a lot of other people wouldn't have gotten away with, and he just doesn't have that amount of goodwill left to rely on right now. On top of that, whether he or you or I like it or not, people really have gotten a lot more sensitive about a lot of topics over the last several years, and while he managed to swim against that current to a large degree for quite some time (though he modulated a bit here and there too), he might have been better off playing nice for a bit if he wanted people to like him again. Maybe using his daughters to rehabilitate himself would have been lovely in another way, but talking more about them without calling them cunts could have probably helped.

Obviously he's rich and can do whatever the gently caress he wants, so if he's fine with alienating a bunch of people, good for him. I just don't think he's going to be very happy with the audience he ultimately ends up with if he decides he doesn't give a poo poo about all of this.

I agree, what he did is going to taint everything he's going to do for a very long time (ever even perhaps), but when I read what people were saying I was really expecting something bad whereas in reality, it was just very very similar to his older sets. It's not the jokes or his edge that changed, it's his audiences goodwill like you say. To me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Did I think to much or not enough?

If you have to ask the question, You already know the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYmn3Gwn3oI

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 8, 2019