Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Why does Richard Madden look so old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i know the Americans is a continually underrated show that is finally getting a little recognition

but Pose not winning is some bullshit

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

i know the Americans is a continually underrated show that is finally getting a little recognition

but Pose not winning is some bullshit
This was the last chance for The Americans. Pose will have many more seasons to come.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a group hug on stage after the speech like that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mu Zeta posted:

That might be true but the Golden Globes don't mean anything and has no credibility.
Sure, but Spider-Man won and that's all I cared about for this stupid awards show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

X-O posted:

The only way I can fathom anyone not thinking that R. Kelly wasn’t a big mainstream star is they were either a child or not alive at all in the ‘90s/early ‘00s or they just didn’t pay attention to music.

My knees are killing me and I weirdly remember buying the double CD R. album like the week it came out so you're probably gonna have to just accept I'm dumb.

I don't know, I guess i see it as like Michael Jackson is a musical legend and R. Kelly isn't that. Was R. Kelly big? Yeah. Was he like Celine Dion or Britney Spears big? Yeah, probably. But like he probably would have been Elvis and Marvin Gaye if he wasn't a disgusting monster.

I dunno, am I making any sense? Obviously its a question of subjective definitions of terms so its kind of hopeless to find a consensus. Obviously a guy who won an Oscar and a poo poo ton of grammies and set records selling albums and who has a couple of songs that are like kind of timeless got "mainstream" and its probably on me for picking the wrong way to say what I was trying to say. But I don't think he ever got the beloved admiration that so many musical legends do and I think he had the talent and success to have it. Its less a question of prime record sales I guess, and more legacy. I guess. I dunno.

I guess I'm tired and can't really put together what I'm trying to say. Or I'm wrong and can't get myself around to it. My bad.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

CapnAndy posted:

Sure, but Spider-Man won and that's all I cared about for this stupid awards show.

Spider-Man is good and deserved it but i also get the terrible sinking feeling that a bunch of white people are going to win all the awards again and they'll point to that as their minority representation

edit: theme of the evening for dresses: powerful shoulders

Jamie Lee looks like she could rule the drat galaxy in that dress.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

gently caress YOU GIVE THAT TROPHY TO AMY ADAMS RIGHT NOW

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

DC Murderverse posted:

gently caress YOU GIVE THAT TROPHY TO AMY ADAMS RIGHT NOW

Me every time she's nominated for something and snubbed

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DC Murderverse posted:

Jamie Lee looks like she could rule the drat galaxy in that dress.

She could rule the universe regardless of attire.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

I can't think of a better capstone to this whole sordid affair with John Lasseter than a Disney/Pixar animated film losing to another studio for the first time since he took over Walt Disney Animation Studios. That whole movie is an amazing breath of fresh air.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I thought Carol Burnette was dead, I'm losing track of female TV trailblazers

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I thought Carol Burnette was dead, I'm losing track of female TV trailblazers

she's getting this because Lucille Ball and Mary Tyler Moore are dead

not a knock on her, she's a trailblazer, but Lucy and Mary would be getting this if they were around

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What is the point of this? Is the Cecile B Demille award going to become a film award so that the Carol Burnett one can be for television?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Carol Burnett is awesome and I’ll hear no other opinion.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Why is everyone laughing at Lucy Liu? :confused:

X-O posted:

The only way I can fathom anyone not thinking that R. Kelly wasn’t a big mainstream star is they were either a child or not alive at all in the ‘90s/early ‘00s or they just didn’t pay attention to music.

Yeah, I was in high school/college then and I was aware of the R Kelly thing solely as a Golden Showers punchline from Chappelle. :shrug:

It was also ~a different era~ and we should rightfully look back with horror and disdain and what society accepted. :smith:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

X-O posted:

Carol Burnett is awesome and I’ll hear no other opinion.

oh, totally agreed. this award was well overdue.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

steve carell has evolved from Dorky Middle-Aged Dad to Hot Older Dad

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lucy or Mary Tyler Moore may be bigger TV icons but Carol had a bigger impact on TV itself through her show and this award being named for her is more than appropriate.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nice, I am now in a Golden Globe winning film.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

X-O posted:

Lucy or Mary Tyler Moore may be bigger TV icons but Carol had a bigger impact on TV itself through her show and this award being named for her is more than appropriate.

the two I named did it not just from the on-camera side but the production side too. MTM and Desilu are two of the most important production units in TV history and Ball in particular is pretty much name #1 on the list of women who influenced television until the end of time. She literally changed so many different things about how television was made.

Carol Burnett is amazing and deserving of the award and of the honor of being the namesake of the award, but if they had split it 10 years ago it would have been named after Moore and if they had done it during her lifetime it would have been named after Ball.

i absolutely loved the devastating series of burns delivered to SNL on it's home network in her speech. SNL is the biggest variety show in the world and has been probably since Carol left TV and she just brutalized it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lady Gaga getting freaked out about winning for best song seems unnecessary.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why is everyone laughing at Lucy Liu? :confused:

I swear someone is mashing the dump button tonight

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Josh Lyman posted:

Lady Gaga getting freaked out about winning for best song seems unnecessary.

maybe she was making fun of Taylor Swift to her face?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
"Winterfell is yours, Your Grace..."
:asoiaf:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Whoa. A Watchmen HBO series? Neat

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Are they dropping all of the Super Bowl commercials early?

pahuyuth posted:

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that and it actually looked good for those 8 seconds. :hmmyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

pahuyuth posted:

The only reason I'm excited about this is that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross are doing the music for it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Putting Sam Rockwell at eye level to Allison Janney’s cleavage seems... poorly thought out.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lol love it when the music cue guy can't read the room

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

i totally expected the star-fuckers at the HFPA to give that to Julia Roberts but this is way better

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://twitter.com/mcjesse/status/1082084577219207169?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

lol this is awesome i love amy and maya

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pose was really good and surprisingly only got better as the season went on. The finale was some heavy poo poo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
drat I really need to see Green Book

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Lol "thanks to Satan..."

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Christian Bale is British?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Christian Bale just thanked Satan, now tell me the Golden Globes aren’t worthwhile.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

pahuyuth posted:

drat I really need to see Green Book

ehhhhhhhhhh

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pahuyuth posted:

Lol "thanks to Satan..."

X-O posted:

Christian Bale just thanked Satan, now tell me the Golden Globes aren’t worthwhile.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CapnAndy posted:

Christian Bale is British?

Did ... did you actually not know that?