Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

On my way to Eat rear end, Inc. this morning and figured I would post the new trailer posted via Nvidia. Nothing crazy here at all and it doesn’t tell us anything. Looks like this is more to just announce some new tech they’re promoting with NVIDIA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJo19lIZWJY&feature=youtu.be

It’s something called DLSS technology they’re mentioning which I have no idea what that means but I’ll ask the guys in Cubicle B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Fly fast, eat rear end.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm just not sure what I should be excited about in the game, to be quite honest. I haven't kept up with devblogs or whatever. However nothing except "flying around pretty environments" stands out in this game

- The gameplay seems... ok? I Guess? Hard to say when the enemies pose no threat and the people in the videos just kind of look in their direction and everything explodes. At one point a "big tougher enemy" showed up in the video and promptly died in about 2 seconds
- Can you fight other players?

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I'm just not sure what I should be excited about in the game, to be quite honest. I haven't kept up with devblogs or whatever. However nothing except "flying around pretty environments" stands out in this game

- The gameplay seems... ok? I Guess? Hard to say when the enemies pose no threat and the people in the videos just kind of look in their direction and everything explodes. At one point a "big tougher enemy" showed up in the video and promptly died in about 2 seconds
- Can you fight other players?

That’s fair Zzulu. It’s funny because you got a good point: there have been more ads about flying than anything else. That’s where, for me, I got drawn to the whole Iron Man comparison first and foremost.

I’d expect a lot more information, videos and trailers but for you, the demo I think is what will show you if you think this is a good game for you or not. For some of us, being able to actually play sold the poo poo out of this game for us. For others, it didn’t move fluidly and that’s cool.

That demo is going to be everything for you. 2/1 is when it’s available and it’ll have a preload.

No PvP at all in this just FYI. So no, you can’t. All balance is around the PvE.

While I’m at it, two new enemies shown in that trailer that I forgot to post:

Not this guy.

These guys.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I think I'll be mostly playing on PS4, but this game looks gorgeous on the PC and I hope I can score an RTX 2060 in the next couple weeks at the price they've announced. It comes packed-in with Anthem! My GTX 660 (running on a Skylake i5 machine) needs an upgrade badly.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

HiriseSoftware posted:

I think I'll be mostly playing on PS4, but this game looks gorgeous on the PC and I hope I can score an RTX 2060 in the next couple weeks at the price they've announced. It comes packed-in with Anthem! My GTX 660 (running on a Skylake i5 machine) needs an upgrade badly.

No way. So is it just the RX2060 that comes with Anthem?

If so, sounds like we’ll be seeing some copies floating around SA-Mart then for cheap. That’s awesome.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

No way. So is it just the RX2060 that comes with Anthem?

If so, sounds like we’ll be seeing some copies floating around SA-Mart then for cheap. That’s awesome.

From what I read the 2060 will come with either BFV or Anthem, but the 2070 and 2080 will come with BFV AND Anthem? I only saw the combo pack-in mentioned in one article, but the 2060 pack-in choice has been mentioned all over the place. Either way, I'm going for the 2060. $349... I hope it's 6GB.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i want this game to be good and i may try to pick it up at somepoint, but i just have so many bad feelings about this. like i don't think it will be Andromeda level bad or anything, but i sure as gently caress don't trust EA with this sorta poo poo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm pretty skeptical on this game but the fact that theyre doing a real demo is cool. Will still probably wait for a sale if I like it though, my backlog is way too full already and while the concept looks cool, I can't help but feel it would be better if it wasn't hampered by being a multiplayer looter shooter

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i want this game to be good and i may try to pick it up at somepoint, but i just have so many bad feelings about this. like i don't think it will be Andromeda level bad or anything, but i sure as gently caress don't trust EA with this sorta poo poo.

Honestly you shouldn't really have any inbuilt misgivings or optimism about this game. This isn't a Bioware that has put something out, it's some of the original ME 1-3 creative team with coding end people who don't necessarily matter on the player end and it's not related to the Andromeda people on a creative level. EA has gotten an absolutely massive backlash about loot boxes in the last year and Battlefield 5 seriously under-performed for them. They've been talking a heavy line about one purchase no sub (on PC at least) no yearly pass, nothing like that. Obviously that should be taken with a grain of salt because video games are still a business, but with the way the game industry is currently in a gradual free fall they can't afford to keep pissing people off on the scale and frequency they have been.

All in all if you're interested in Anthem, be interested in the game itself and do a little work on your end to see if it's your jam. It'll be streamed everywhere on the 15th, you can play an unrestricted (time, content, progress) month of it for only $15 and ultimately if you see what you like, or you don't, it probably won't have anything to do with it being an EA product.

Anthem: Might Be Alright, Do Your Homework

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

^ Bingo

Keep in mind (and this isn’t for everybody), there is the Origin Premier Access you can get, which I know tons of goons use and are going to be using for this release:

It’s $15 for 30 days and you have access to the entire EA catalog. Battlefield V is releasing their Firestorm Battle royale thing in March (lol, let’s be real it’ll be delayed) but you can play that game, FIFA, Madden, this, and whatever else they have on there for unlimited time for that $15.

My favorite time to play any game is in the beginning since it gets the big goon rush and that’s always a blast even if it’s a garbage game.

Just something to consider if you’re like “yeah, to hell with spending $60 on this” and I’ve seen a lot of questions in discord about what Origin Premier is so figured I would clarify that here. I saw Sym’s post above and others and yeah, you can bet this game will hit a sale within a month or two of launch no matter what. That’s the EA way (see: every other EA game I named above, they all went on a deep sale about 1-3 months post launch).

I’ll be giving away some Origin Access I’m sure for launch, and a few other goons have promised to do some giveaways too just to build excitement.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
Even though I've been disappointed by every BioWare game since 2011, I'm starting to get a bit excited for this game. Really hope I won't be disappointed again during the free demo.

Also, how loving confident are they that they're having the free demo?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

sunaurus posted:

Even though I've been disappointed by every BioWare game since 2011, I'm starting to get a bit excited for this game. Really hope I won't be disappointed again during the free demo.

They had a 10 hour trial for ME Andromeda too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

They had a 10 hour trial for ME Andromeda too.

i will give the anthem demo a shot. if i like it, cool, if i don't, gently caress it.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Sim City had a demo

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

sunaurus posted:

I’ll bet my soul on it. If I’m wrong, you can have my soul.

Things will get weird though.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i will give the anthem demo a shot. if i like it, cool, if i don't, gently caress it.

Same. I have minimal expectations but you know what, I like shooting and playing dress up with space mans. I hope for fun.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Same. I have minimal expectations but you know what, I like shooting and playing dress up with space mans. I hope for fun.

its also a few other games are coming out that month and march. so it depends on what i hear those and this.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They had a public demo for battlefield V before it came out, and people poo poo on the game because of it so it’s very cool that they’re still willing to do one for anthem. Also origin access basic giving you 10 hours of new games before they come out is extremely good and was a big part of what convinced me to get BFV. Everything about origin access is weirdly consumer-friendly for EA and I hope BFV + the amount I expect people are going to poo poo on this game doesn’t make them stop doing it.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Anthem Weekly Update Thingamajig

quote:

Now let's get into all we learned this past week and thanks to u/BenIrvo, Mike Gamble, and Mark Darrah we have a lot to cover...

For those of you on PS4 worried that you won't be able to participate in the VIP Demo. You don't need EA Access, all you need is to pre-order Anthem, otherwise, you can play in the Open Demo on Feb. 1st: Source

According to Jon, you will be able to pick a name, or call sign, for your character in Anthem, but others will only see your Origin platform, PSN, or Xbox Live name: Source

If you complete all the main line quests, you can go back to complete all the side quests later: Source

Again, you will be able to personalize your javelin at the forge within the demo: Source

The team has made optimization improvements to the game since the Closed Alpha: Source

Its possible that we could see a live stream with u/BenIrvo & Mike during the demos: Source

Level cap is 30 at launch, and yes we will see it rise as the game expands: Source

The weapon you acquire from the preorder is intended to get you started in the game. Won't be viable after you finish the early game and acquire better loot. You should be able to utilize this weapon at level 5: Source & Source & Source

Remember the NDA is forever. For those that took part in the closed alpha the reason you are still under NDA is because much has changed from the Alpha and actual game so the team doesn't want old information coming out that may confuse people about the actual game: Source & Source

Awesome FanArt keeps pouring in from the community: Source

Again, no companion app is coming at launch of Anthem: Source

Again, you can create or delete as many pilots (characters) as you need. Doesn't mean there are unlimited slots though: Source

All weapons will be balanced against each other. This is likely to ensure you will still feel powerful with your preferred play style instead of creating a META: Source

Yes, you can squad up with friends in the demos: Source

Someone asked about tight aim and Ben clarified that in tight aim you get better accuracy (similar to ADS cept not looking through sights). Accuracy is improved here through modifiers on recoil, bullet spread and assist curves (only on consoles, no assist on PC). Also, lower sensitivity: Source & Source

Mike sent out a poll on Twitter asking players what there main would be in Anthem. Even though the Storm took the top spot, its pretty well balanced across this poll: Source

Increased in difficulty is mainly modifying health and damage of the enemies, but when there is an elite of higher version of a creature there are tweaks in behaviors such as accuracy and dodge frequency: Source

More live streams coming soon. Timing is currently TBD: Source

We won't be able to at launch, but at some point, we will hopefully be able to inspect other players gear/loadout: Source

In a respawn restricted area, there is no timer on being able to revive (repair) teammates. You can do so until the party wipes, or you repair them. Also, only one person can repair a teammate per person. You can't revive faster with multiple people: Source & Source

If you were worried about ammo problems, larger creatures will drop ammo even if you don't kill them. Only specific ones do this. As long as you are pushing forward and hit your shots you shouldn't have any issues with ammo: Source

You can equip two of the same weapon type, such as two sniper rifles, but given Ben's comment on this tweet, Sniper Rifles don't seem to have a lot of ammo: Source

Derrick on Twitter asked if there were inscriptions that could boost such things as the Interceptor's Aura duration which it triggers on a combo effect, video on that coming tomorrow btw. After, a back and forth and a Ron Burgundy quote, u/BenIrvo stated that likely the Aura Combo Rate inscription we saw in the last live stream is the one that increases the Interceptor's Aura duration, which currently is clocked at about 10 seconds: Source

According to Ben, starting on hard advice would be "Git gud": Source

Legendary contracts are repeatable, dynamic, endgame content that takes you out into the world to satisfy certain objectives, and apparently, they're rather difficult. There are non-legendary contracts that attempt to train you for future legendary ones: Source

Another awesome piece of fan art by Lazare Gvimradze: Source

Another example of scaling in Anthem, number of creatures scales based on how many players are in your squad: Source

There is currently no caps at the moment on inscription stacks. Meaning it might be possible to create a build with 100% ability spam. Won't know till we get in though: Source

If you missed it in a previous weekly update status effects are as follows; fire = dot(damage over time), frost = frozen, acid = dmg taken debuff, electricity = AOE(area of effect) pulse: Source

Jesse Anderson, Global Community Manager, will be out and about at PAX South if you happen to be attending on Saturday, January 19th: Source
Mike gets us an inside view of the audio director doing his thing: Source

We could see a crafting stream coming up: Source

Blueprints will be obtained as a specific type, not weapon type: Source

You can equip every slot with Legendary tier gear/weapons if you work hard enough: Source

Ben clarified that your javelin's ultimate can also be used as detonator, more on that in tomorrow's video. At launch, weapons will not be able to detonate primed targets: Source & Source

You can't change your Javelins headlight colors at launch of Anthem: Source

Yes, Titan's will be available to try and tackle in the demos: Source

If you fly to high in Anthem you will encounter turbulence. This is likely the rip stream: Source

Controls have been updated since the Closed Alpha, most notably on PC: Source

The Anthem team refers to easy groups of enemies as mobs, in case you were interested: Source

The Storm's Nexus ability applies to both you and your team, not just your team. So, this would be the same for the Ranger's Bulwark ability: Source

If you didn't see it there was an IGN first where we saw 15 minutes of gameplay for the Lost Arcanist mission showcased previously at the Paris Games, cept this time around you get to see all three perspectives of the Storm, Interceptor & Colossus. You'll also see the Storm's new Ultimate sequence. Basically the Storm doesn't drop the meteors in its final hoorah anymore, now the meteor drops immediately after each of the three element marks instead of dropping once you've placed the three marks: Video & Source

Your storage cap for the vault is currently capped at 250: Source

Mike clarifies how the "my story" works when playing with friends, " you have your story. And when you run a mission, it progresses you. If your group is at the same point, it progresses them too. If you’re playing a mission you haven’t unlocked in your story, or already played, you do it for xp and loot. No story progress.": Source

If you didn't already know, many of the OG Mass Effect & Dragon Age are working on Anthem: Source

Console FPS is currently capped at 30fps at launch: Source

Javelin unlock levels have changes to 2, 8, 16, & 24. This could still change again at launch. The way it'll work is that you'll complete the tutorial with the Ranger and then once you reach level 2 you can choose the javelin of your choice: Source & Source

You cannot use you ultimate, such as the Interceptor's Assassin Blades, and repair a teammate: Source

Demos will be able to be preloaded a few days before launch: Source & Source

We are now 19 days till the VIP Demo launch on January 25th. Get ready for some fun!

Only note of change from this I’m seeing is Ben Irving said vault space is 300 not 250. We’ll see the facts later I guess.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Digirat posted:

Everything about origin access is weirdly consumer-friendly for EA and I hope BFV + the amount I expect people are going to poo poo on this game doesn’t make them stop doing it.

Yeah this. Origin and EA access are strangely consumer friendly. Got excellent refund policy too.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
"the NDA is forever" what kind of bs is that lol

Orv
May 4, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

That's how any NDA you've ever signed for a video game and then immediately broken works. That extremely specific time related of slice content is under NDA in perpetuity regardless of what the game is like later, or the same content on release, which you can talk about openly.

E: Yes it's dumb and yes they (devs, marketing/legal does) are required to pretend like they care.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 7, 2019

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

CharlestonJew posted:

Just need non-compete agreements and Arbitration clauses so testing for games will be on par with startups and tech companies!

I feel like semi-open alphas being tested by tens of thousands of people should be immune to NDAs; either you put that poo poo out there for people to enjoy and talk about, or you make it a real alpha with actual game-testers focused on finding issues.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

PC Specs have been announced today:

quote:

ANTHEM MINIMUM
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
RAM: 8 GB System Memory
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 760, AMD Radeon 7970 / R9280X
GPU RAM: 2 GB Video Memory
HARD DRIVE: At least 50 GB of free space
DIRECTX: DirectX 11
ANTHEM RECOMMENDED
SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz or AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.5 GHz
RAM: 16 GB System Memory
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060/ RTX 2060, AMD RX 480
GPU RAM: 4 GB Video Memory
HARD DRIVE: At least 50 GB of free space
DIRECTX: DirectX 11

Xbox One Wireless Controller for Windows supported, persistent internet connection required for play

Also, we have a new 4 minute video up via IGN that was just posted today. This is called Storm Gameplay Deep Dive: https://www.ign.com/videos/2019/01/07/anthem-storm-javelin-gameplay-profile-ign-first

Edit: You all should watch some of that Storm gameplay. Brand new stuff shown.

ICR fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 7, 2019

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

sunaurus posted:

Demos used to be incredibly common, and they should come back into style.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bioware had their own Mass Effect Andromeda demo for Origin Access users that infamously backfired in spectacular fashion.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware had their own Mass Effect Andromeda demo for Origin Access users that infamously backfired in spectacular fashion.

Oh and it was glorious and showed the true dumpster fire it was going to be.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I booted up Andromeda out of morbid curiosity and it sure is as bad as I remembered it.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

I booted up Andromeda out of morbid curiosity and it sure is as bad as I remembered it.

There’s days I want to ask EA support to just remove it from my account. But I have all the others so the pokeball gotta catch em all mentality wins.

Andromeda: So Bad it makes your backlog look ugly

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It seriously makes me long for the days of the silent protagonist because good god Ryder is an unlikeable wuss.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Although there's some possibility this game will be good, it will most likely be bad.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

porfiria posted:

Although there's some possibility this game will be good, it will most likely be bad.

Anthem: Not As Bad As ME4:A (*Maybe)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
My prediction is a softish launch followed by a massive drop off followed by a heroic effort to salvage things a la Destiny 2 or The Division or, who the gently caress knows, Evolution?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

porfiria posted:

My prediction is a softish launch followed by a massive drop off followed by a heroic effort to salvage things a la Destiny 2 or The Division or, who the gently caress knows, Evolution?

If this game comes out and is Destiny 2 - all anyone talks about until they exhaust the content a week later - then it's dead. It most likely won't be the only $60 game hoping to lure in people with a couple dozen hours of content and promises of the future, but people are calling it as another Destiny before it's even released and they'll never live that poo poo down.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

exquisite tea posted:

the first 10 hours was probably the strongest part of andromeda too

e: well, the multiplayer is fine

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

No loot game has ever been good until at least two years after release

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Mailer posted:

If this game comes out and is Destiny 2 - all anyone talks about until they exhaust the content a week later - then it's dead. It most likely won't be the only $60 game hoping to lure in people with a couple dozen hours of content and promises of the future, but people are calling it as another Destiny before it's even released and they'll never live that poo poo down.

This is my main concern with the game that won't be answered by a demo. I have very little confidence there will be sufficient content in at launch to warrant a purchase. I don't really mind 12ish hours in my lovingly crafted single player story driven game but I need more in my open ended loot treadmill game. The Destiny demo was pretty good and I was excited by it and couldn't wait to play the rest of the game and hey turns out there isn't really much of a rest of the game. It is encouraging that most people that have played it seem to like the gameplay at least.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my assumption is the end game will be weak and they'll flesh it out over the next year or two and it will be very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

eonwe posted:

my assumption is the end game will be weak and they'll flesh it out over the next year or two and it will be very good

I feel like based on the tweets we've been seeing they already know the endgame isn't that good right now but are working on it, which hopefully accelerates that timeline.

The open world stuff is probably going to be what makes or breaks the game anyways, though.