Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Drove up to Verbier today so I can sit and drink beers (still broken) and my girlfriend can get some runs in. There are a lot of other British people here, so much bad skiing and huge helmet gaps.

Great snow quality, its tracked out off piste. Can't wait to get back, some x-c later this month and alpine in a few more weeks. Can't wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ugh I wish I was up at squaw. Maybe next weekend

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Ugh I wish I was up at squaw. Maybe next weekend

80 is closed in both directions right now with more snow on the way. Next weekend should be perfect.

This round of storms should be enough to get every mountain in Tahoe fully open. Hallelujah.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

ShaneB posted:

Also: if I have waterproof rain pants, can those be combined with a base layer/insulation layer and be used as ski pants? Or will I hate life?
Probably, though I don't find them to be that warm below like 30°F and then I end up wearing my ski pants under my rain pants.

PVC rain pants, jacket, and gloves that fits over my ski stuff though I think are my favorite purchase this season. Not having a wet butt or body at any point in a day of downpour is super awesome.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Haven’t done any east coast riding yet, but looking at the snow reports, it seems p dire. Anyone been out?

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
It's been a surprisingly good start to the year over here in central Japan. The official winter forecast is warmer and less precipitation than average, but we've had consistent moderate snow in the mountains for a couple weeks now. Myoko has gotten 4 meters / 13 feet in the past 14 days. It's been fun slashing easy access powder every day, but I'm hoping we get a tiny warm spell to solidify the flat tree traverses and buried creeks soon.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Settled on taking the train from Vienna to Bad Hofstein. Should get like a day and a half, which works for me

bringer posted:

I’d describe it as the kind of stomach ache you get when you’re really stressed, if that makes sense. I actually thought it was an ulcer to begin with, as I felt permanently stressed and my stomach hurts when I eat and also when I don’t. Still have the stomach aches and nausea but knowing there’s a physical cause has been good for the stress - poo poo’s weird.

I had debilitating stomach pain for a few years and it was solved through a combination of therapy and omeprazole aka Prilosec. Literally changed my life

Eejit fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 7, 2019

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Tacier posted:

80 is closed in both directions right now with more snow on the way. Next weekend should be perfect.

This round of storms should be enough to get every mountain in Tahoe fully open. Hallelujah.

Yeah I’m glad this weekend’s storms seemed to beat the upper end of a lot of forecasts and truly dump. Sounds like there could be more midweek so I’m sure next weekend will be great, I just have some FOMO — love the feeling of skiing during a big storm, getting back to the condo and being snowed in, and then getting first tracks on a big pow day. I’ve been lucky as a relatively new skier to have had a lot of these days, hoping I get lucky again sometime this winter! :)

There’s a part of me that’s considering blowing off work tomorrow and heading up for a day trip, but that’s probably a Sunday night fantasy that will die with the Monday morning alarm clock... sigh

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Haven’t done any east coast riding yet, but looking at the snow reports, it seems p dire. Anyone been out?
Midatlantic is loving dire right now. I have 4 days in in NJ and we've had too much rain. Almost no trails open. Total WROD conditions. The temps should drop this week and allow snowmaking. Northern Vermont seems to be doing fine. Southern Vermont got some rain.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ironlung posted:

Describe these stomach aches. I have had this weird lower left abdominal pain for years, very dull that comes and goes, even went to the doc for it and they said it was because of eating too much dairy (cutting out dairy did nothing). Nothing alarming/irregular with my poops tho.
I had horrible stomach pain for years that I thought were ulcers or acid reflux and it turned out to be gallstones. I ended up getting my gallbladder removed.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Rated PG-34 posted:

Sugarbush (mid-Vermont) got a couple of surprise inches yesterday with a couple more projected tonight and tomorrow. The natural snow trails have some amount of slick in the troughs at the moment, but are all largely skiable without having to worry about rocks and bare patches. Seemed to be a good crowd of people heading into the woods yesterday as well, and having fun.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have only been skiing a couple seasons now, but have noticed some behaviours on the mountain that I find, well, questionable. I was wondering if the wonderful skiing goon hive-mind could weigh in on a few behaviours for me. Are these faux pas or am I just a grumpy old?

--People wearing speakers/boombox like things blasting their music for everyone around them. This is especially bad when waiting in a lift line when the lift attendants have their own (usually a much better choice/selection) music playing.

--People in a crowded lift line not filling/blocking people from filling up a lift seat to designed capacity.

--People smoking weed in front of kids. I imagine this is much more an Oregon/Colorado thing than a Utah thing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The speaker thing is annoying but I don't care.

People who don't queue up correctly are dumb. A lot of resorts have attendants that make sure the chairs are full though.

I never notice people smoking weed here in CO. It is probably happening but the smart people are hitting a vape and you can't tell at all.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The few times I've been back skiing, I've mostly vaped while on the mountain.

Although my buddy and I have also skied back into some trees and smoked a joint a few times too.

The idiots that kill me are the smokers who just drop their butts in the snow when the are done. My buddy smokes and the first thing I told him, before I even taught him anything, was that if I ever saw him drop a butt on the mountain I would loving hit him with my ski pole.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i usually turn my music down for the lift line to conversation level, and off if someone asks. i like using one better than ear buds though so i can still hear what's going on around me when i'm going down.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Razzled posted:

i usually turn my music down for the lift line to conversation level, and off if someone asks. i like using one better than ear buds though so i can still hear what's going on around me when i'm going down.

I imagine everyone in the line wants to ask you but is hesitant to cause any confrontation.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can barely hear anything skiing due to the wind noise plus the helmet covering your ears, I never understood the speaker.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I imagine everyone in the line wants to ask you but is hesitant to cause any confrontation.
It's this.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The boom box is fine provided it is a large rectangular one from the 1980s, and occupies an entire shoulder and arm.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can barely hear anything skiing due to the wind noise plus the helmet covering your ears, I never understood the speaker.

I guess it's wanting to ski a video. They always have soundtracks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ola posted:

I guess it's wanting to ski a video. They always have soundtracks.

I’m confused. Are you saying they’re playing a song so that the video they’re making has audio in the background? It’s almost always added in post, because otherwise it’d sound like a mess.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m confused. Are you saying they’re playing a song so that the video they’re making has audio in the background? It’s almost always added in post, because otherwise it’d sound like a mess.

No, so it feels like they're in a video when they're skiing. I guess the weed also helps.

e: it would be hilarious to watch a skiing video where the skier actually carried the sound system. Some tinny skate punk dopplering down the hill.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I believe he is saying that people watch ski videos with music and so when they go out and ski, they want to feel like it's a video and so want to listen to music.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My helmet has integrated headphones, which I thought were going to be amazing. I wanted to like get off the lift, turn on REM and just float down the mountain in my own little bubble. It only works in a big open gentle bowl without many people around. Otherwise it diminishes situational awareness and either makes me afraid I’m going to contribute to a collision or not give my full attention to skiing something difficult enough to challenge me.

For me anyway it’s a pretty narrow use case.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

- Don’t play your music outside of your ear drums. You may think you have impeccable taste in music, but everyone else loving hates Imagine Dragons.

- If you see an open spot don’t feel afraid to do the old “hey, you just three?” and squeeze in.

- Weed. I just wish someone would build a place for people to smoke weed conveniently on the mountain that’s close by and would let you get back to skiing quickly. Just…idunno…someone should make that happen. :iiam:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

- Don’t play your music outside of your ear drums. You may think you have impeccable taste in music, but everyone else loving hates Imagine Dragons.

- If you see an open spot don’t feel afraid to do the old “hey, you just three?” and squeeze in.

- Weed. I just wish someone would build a place for people to smoke weed conveniently on the mountain that’s close by and would let you get back to skiing quickly. Just…idunno…someone should make that happen. :iiam:

What I’m hearing here is hotbox a blunt in the gondola while listening to Miley Cyrus on a boombox?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I mean…which song are we talking about?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you play your music from speakers you are a douche, sorry Razzled. No one wants to listen to your lovely music, put some headphones in.

Doesn't everywhere have singles lines now anyway? When I'm with someone else we specifically stay as two so we can get two singles in when the line is long.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Also, re: weed

I totally get the knee-jerk "not in front of the children" reaction, but there's practical reason to have it now, anymore than drinking a glass of wine, or smoking a cigarette.

The laws are in agreement with this in many places now, with more regions coming on board all the time.

Especially with kids, they really don't care / know about the societal taboo weed has had for the last half century, unless we instill it into them.

That said, you're not allowed to smoke anything on my local mountains, so those dickheads should definitely at least be going into the woods

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Last time I skied I had a day alone, so I totally owned the singles lane. People seem very weird about not wanting to share. I don't think they actually mind, I think they just instinctively form an orderly queue with their friends like they're getting seated at a restaurant or something. 2 people will stand and wait for 2 other people getting on a 6-seater. But if you don't mind that slight social intrusion, weee free VIP lane all day!

Finally getting some xc skiing this week, since there's no snow here on the Norwegian west coast I've turned climate refugee and will take a few days in the mountain. If my body doesn't feel too bad on day 1, I'll try skate skiing up an alpine hill on day 2 (blue piste, before the lifts open).

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Weed is obviously in a social transition period where people haven't yet developed/internalized new norms surrounding it's use. It seems obvious to me that people should be just as courteous about it as with cigarettes. Don't smoke in a crowded public place where other people are subjected to your choices.

But if you're skiing with weed and AREN'T using a vape at this point, what are you even doing you idiot?? It is 1000x more convenient and in CA/OR/WA/CO vapes are cheap and plentiful.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 7, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HookShot posted:

If you play your music from speakers you are a douche, sorry Razzled. No one wants to listen to your lovely music, put some headphones in.

Doesn't everywhere have singles lines now anyway? When I'm with someone else we specifically stay as two so we can get two singles in when the line is long.

Lately people are bringing waterproof radios into the shower at the gym. I'm in a weird place where I want to be offended but I don't want to be Offended Guy.

Weed and music are going hand in hand here, don't make decisions and then force them on people. That goes for your vape and your music.

Also Mammoth 4.5 feet and counting.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

kiimo posted:

Lately people are bringing waterproof radios into the shower at the gym. I'm in a weird place where I want to be offended but I don't want to be Offended Guy.

Weed and music are going hand in hand here, don't make decisions and then force them on people. That goes for your vape and your music.

Also Mammoth 4.5 feet and counting.

I was at Mammoth last week and I felt like the place was about 2 feet away from being in perfect shape and then they go and get 4 feet

Looking forward to my Tahoe trip towards the end of the month

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 7, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This “how to smoke weed at a ski resort” conversation feels kind of :psyduck:

Do you guys not have smoke shacks where you ski or…???

Moot . posted:

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.

I’ve had mine for about 9 years and they feel about the same. Though I’m given to understand that you should have your orthotics looked at about every five.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Do you guys not have smoke shacks where you ski or…???
What's a smoke shack? Like, a place where people specifically go to smoke?

Not only is smoking banned on Whistler Blackcomb, it's also banned on the entire village stroll, ie. essentially the entire village. I'm actually surprised at how many people actually obey the ban, there's like no signs about it anywhere and yet I rarely see anyone smoking anywhere. I can't remember the last time I smelled smoke of either popular substance in the lift line. Though I have been in a couple gondolas that had obviously recently used as makeshift hotboxes haha.

Personally, I don't really care if people do it at all, although cigarette smoke irritates my throat super easily, so I appreciate those who go into the trees/off to the sides of runs to do it.

What's one trillion times worse than smoking in the lift line is the morons who drop their lit cigarettes off the chairs sightseeing in the summer in the middle of a forest that will probably quite literally go up in smoke one of these years.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

HookShot posted:

What's a smoke shack? Like, a place where people specifically go to smoke?

Ayup.

(This one I feel okay posting since Winter Park talks about this “tree house” on their website.)

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 8, 2019

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That seems like a lot of work to take a couple drags off a vape pen but then again I might have felt differently 20 years ago.

edit: I suddenly really want to see the inside.

edit 2: lol someone added all the smoke shacks on google maps after MJ was legalized

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...1699999999&z=14

edit 3: in case you didn't fully hate Vail yet

https://skitheworld.com/2014/02/vail-resorts-demolish-pot-shacks/

edit 4: Never underestimate the building power of stoned 20 year olds

kiimo fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 8, 2019

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

quote:

edit 2:lol someone added all the smoke shacks on google maps after MJ was legalized

Boooooooo!!!! Half the fun is figuring out where the hell these things are yourself. There's one I've been looking for for over 10 years. It could be literally on either side of the resort depending on who you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Dangerllama posted:

Boooooooo!!!! Half the fun is figuring out where the hell these things are yourself. There's one I've been looking for for over 10 years. It could be literally on either side of the resort depending on who you ask.

I’m convinced most of them don’t exist