Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

OldTennisCourt posted:

This raises a question for a good discussion tbh

Aside from Ghost Ship what are other horror movies with phenomenal openings that poo poo the bed immediatly after?
Wasn’t someone just talking about a fish monster horror movie where the opening scene was filmed after everything else and is way better than the rest of the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

david_a posted:

Wasn’t someone just talking about a fish monster horror movie where the opening scene was filmed after everything else and is way better than the rest of the movie

Yeah Screamers. It still owns though. Its a great B Movie and The idiot hero gently caress up saving the earth from global warming

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's not the opening, but after the dude's head explodes in Scanners, the film goes down hill p hard imo.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

James Woods Fan posted:

Watched Noroi, The Borderlands (Last Prayer) and The Last Broadcast. Loved the first, really liked the second and enjoyed the third until the ending.

loving loved The Borderlands. Weirdly, for years I literally thought that it was A Field in England (not remotely similar), and always assumed that's what people were talking about when mentioning AFiE. It's probably because I saw Kill List the same week. The ending of that movie is so dope.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Null of Undefined posted:

In not so great movies, I watched Project Europa yesterday, and it was really bad. It tried to toe the line between realistic and ridiculous, but the result of that was just that it was boring, and then stupid stuff happened.

Like my previous post on The Borderlands, I also loved this movie mostly because of the ending. That said, I watched it the day after doing a ton if mdma and really just wanted to chill with my wife. So maybe boring was what I wanted that day. Might deserve a rewatch.
That ending scene though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw the ending and I don’t want to watch that movie. That kind of thing is the one thing that I cannot handle in any film.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

CelticPredator posted:

I saw the ending and I don’t want to watch that movie. That kind of thing is the one thing that I cannot handle in any film.

Dont't know if you mean Borderlands or Europa Report, but yes. Both stuck with me as being very... Shudder causing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

CelticPredator posted:

Its this one.

https://www.amazon.com/NECA-Chucky-Action-Ultimate-Tiffany/dp/B07H8LMV24

I got it at a movie/record store that sells a bunch of toys.

I miss having stores like that around me. When I was a kid I used to love going to Suncoast and looking at all the weird horror poo poo. Anyone know of a place like that in New York?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In Syracuse they had an FYE which is basically that. They got a ton of Arrow and Scream factory stuff.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Just watched the Korean horror The Mimic on Shudder. Not a bad little movie. Sometimes picking random poo poo pays off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I actually really like Europa Report its just a really solid Science Fiction horror film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a dope one. Anything about contact is really interesting to me. I’m more open with it than Alien abduction stuff. Like Contact is such a great film with some interesting themes, so kind of any real spin you can do with that story just rocks it for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

david_a posted:

Not technically horror, but you should maybe check out the Russian film Gruz 200 (Cargo 200) as well. It has more than a few similarities to William Faulkner's Sanctuary if that tells you anything.

EDIT: poo poo it's even on YouTube (probably not entirely legal, oh well)

Yeah, Gruz 200 is great. It's Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer if Henry was an entire nation.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Europa Report is great. The scene where one of them falls through the ice is pure nightmare fuel. The ending isn't very popular but I like it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Null of Undefined posted:

I watched Escape Room yesterday and I was surprised at how much I liked it. I knew it was going to be super campy, and it was, but it was also weirdly compelling. It was basically a hybrid between would you rather and saw. Specifically the Saw where it’s a group of people going room to room and there’s some sacrifice that has to be made, and people die 1 by 1.
The portrayals it made of PTSD were also really compelling, and nothing in the movie seems too obvious. It was a lot of fun and I hope there’s a sequel.

In not so great movies, I watched Project Europa yesterday, and it was really bad. It tried to toe the line between realistic and ridiculous, but the result of that was just that it was boring, and then stupid stuff happened.

I absolutely hated the trailer but I'm a sucker for those kinds of movies, so I'll give it a watch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It's not the opening, but after the dude's head explodes in Scanners, the film goes down hill p hard imo.

I enjoyed the climatic brain fight as well. I mean nothing tops the head explosion but what could?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Escape Room was good, and the set pieces were fun. I thought it did a little too much to set up a sequel though.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A Scanners remake/reboot/sequel would need to have at least one exploding head per scene to live up to its legacy. Preferably having the very first shot be s head exploding and then exponentially increasing the number of exploding heads per scene until until it ends in a psychedelic orgy of combusting craniums.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A Scanners remake/reboot/sequel would need to have at least one exploding head per scene to live up to its legacy. Preferably having the very first shot be s head exploding and then exponentially increasing the number of exploding heads per scene until until it ends in a psychedelic orgy of combusting craniums.

They'd all be CG so it would be devoid of any merit.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Scanners is actually really good all the way through

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scanners suffers from having a great character actor as the villain, Michael Ironside, and then completely forgettable nothing as the lead. Cronenberg's great films all have much better leads than that; Goldblum, Irons, Woods, Walken, Vigo, etc.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Scanners is fun but it feels like a short story expanded to a feature length runtime.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What’s the best exploding head in movie history? I vote Dawn of the Dead, which they actually shot with a shotgun.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The Scanners head pop was done with a shotgun irl too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s the best exploding head in movie history? I vote Dawn of the Dead, which they actually shot with a shotgun.

It's Scanners, sorry. You can't really debate that one.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Prowler has a really good one.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Coffee And Pie posted:

Franchescanado posted:

The Prowler has a really good one.

These was going to be my picks. LOL I forget which cut but one version of Dawn of the Dead, when they first burst into the room the manakin is in full view and everything. :3:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

OG Maniac has the Savini headshot scene.

But yeah, it’s Scanners.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Speaking of Dawn of the Dead, it's today's January Horror Essential. It's not too late to join in and start filling the gaps in your watch history, horror goons! Start the new year off right.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tolkien minority posted:

Scanners is actually really good all the way through

It really is.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lurdiak posted:

They'd all be CG so it would be devoid of any merit.

Not if the film goes wildly over budget!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not if the film goes wildly over budget!

The most expensive, meticulously rendered CG head explosion isn't worth a 15 dollar dummy with a ziploc bag of fake blood in its head blown up with a firecracker.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Fart City posted:

OG Maniac has the Savini headshot scene.

But yeah, it’s Scanners.

I was going to bring that up and maybe also the one in Drive because I didn’t expect that to happen to a character played by Christina Hendricks. It’s still Scanners though.

Wasn’t there a late Kurosawa movie that had a good one or am I losing my mind?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lurdiak posted:

The most expensive, meticulously rendered CG head explosion isn't worth a 15 dollar dummy with a ziploc bag of fake blood in its head blown up with a firecracker.

I meant by going full on practical which is far more expensive than CG these days.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Drunkboxer posted:

I was going to bring that up and maybe also the one in Drive because I didn’t expect that to happen to a character played by Christina Hendricks. It’s still Scanners though.

Wasn’t there a late Kurosawa movie that had a good one or am I losing my mind?

If there was it was probably Kagemusha. Been a long time since I saw it, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

If there was it was probably Kagemusha. Been a long time since I saw it, though.

Kagemusha and Ran are masterpieces, and Dreams is the kind of film that I think would've found a much bigger audience if it were made today.

He really didn't make any bad films. I need to see Dersu Uzala though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

Yeah I think I’m blending that movie with something else from around the same time period.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah I think I’m blending that movie with something else from around the same time period.

Almost definitely Ran because they're both period epics that star Nakadai instead of Mifune. Nakadai is the man though, just slightly less so than Mifune.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

This raises a question for a good discussion tbh

Aside from Ghost Ship what are other horror movies with phenomenal openings that poo poo the bed immediatly after?

I remember getting really pumped up by the title cards in Freddy's Dead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLjAIn1u5fY

And it's not horror, but Brother's Bloom was a terrible long con movie that couldn't live up to its excellent opening bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait a loving minute

Did you motherfuckers just talk about loving head explosions and then leave out the best mother loving head explosion in all of loving cinema?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9pgWPsUeTU