Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Flex is really large which could either be good or bad for your old-rear end inlaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Weird flex but okay

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The Flex has been axed, sadly.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Hey hey, I've been chatting with a friend recently who loves crossovers (currently has a Juke with impending expensive maintenance, and is kinda eyeing a Kicks, but not terribly excited about it), but also fell in love with the idea of a heated steering wheel.
They were considering a 2018 BMW X2, but got jerked around a bit by dealerships, so I figured I'd ask around for other model ideas.

Proposed Budget: $35k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Crossover is nice, but anything would be considered except trucks.
How will you be using the car?: Daily work commute around town, driving an hour or two weekly-ish, cold/snowy New York winters
What aspects are most important to you?: Heated steering wheel, keyless entry, reliability.
Electric would also be nice if it had decent range, but probably not realistic at this price

Thanks in advance dear goons for any advice. :shobon:

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Trevor Hale posted:

The Flex has been axed, sadly.

Ah gotcha, funny how I could tell by looking at the thing. Then in that case I wouldn't recommend it, I tend to dislike buying discontinued modern cars. Exceptions made, S2000, etc.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something Offal posted:

The Flex seems cool but I was honestly surprised to see Ford is still selling a 2019 model. The platform must be old as hell. I'll be very surprised if they don't cut it in 2020 without a redesign.

That's a 2019.

That's the same interior the Taurus and a lot of Lincolns had. They consider it "upscale."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Something Offal posted:

Ah gotcha, funny how I could tell by looking at the thing. Then in that case I wouldn't recommend it, I tend to dislike buying discontinued modern cars. Exceptions made, S2000, etc.

Why? It’s all Ford partsbin, no different from buying a prior gen explorer or whatever.

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Hey hey, I've been chatting with a friend recently who loves crossovers (currently has a Juke with impending expensive maintenance, and is kinda eyeing a Kicks, but not terribly excited about it), but also fell in love with the idea of a heated steering wheel.
They were considering a 2018 BMW X2, but got jerked around a bit by dealerships, so I figured I'd ask around for other model ideas.

How will you be using the car?: Daily work commute around town, driving an hour or two weekly-ish, cold/snowy New York winters
What aspects are most important to you?: Heated steering wheel, keyless entry, reliability.
Electric would also be nice if it had decent range, but probably not realistic at this price

CX-5, forester, CR-V etc

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

That's the same interior the Taurus and a lot of Lincolns had. They consider it "upscale."

it looks shittier than a late-90s honda

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RubberBands Hurt posted:

If they think any sort of maintenance on their Juke is expensive, they should sure as hell not buy a bimmer.

Go Toyota for reliability. Or Kia/Hyundai for a good car with lots of features for a discount.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RubberBands Hurt posted:

What maintenance on a Juke is so expensive they’re wanting to get rid of it? This isn’t a w8 or something ridiculous.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What maintenance on a Juke is so expensive they’re wanting to get rid of it? This isn’t a w8 or something ridiculous.

I’m going with ‘CVT is taking a poo poo,’ Alex.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Dead a/c and 4 tires for inspection, not untenable, just good timing to chuck it.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 7, 2019

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Dead a/c and 4 tires for inspection, not untenable, just good timing to chuck it.

Are they prepared to get turbofucked on the trade in with these issues? Because that’s what going to happen.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I'd like to hear more about the Ford flex. I have to order about 100 work cars for a government lease and my choices for the larger SUVs are Traverse, Durango, envoy, Grand Cherokee Laredo and flex. (I now own a personal trailhawk, so I ordered a turbo 4 Cherokee trailhawk for me.) My choices are mostly the base models with the exception of trailhawk for downsize to Cherokee.

We only have like 1 flex in our fleet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's not in production anymore

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RubberBands Hurt posted:

this is a deeply stupid decision

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it's not in production anymore

? It's showing up on Ford's website for MY 19.

https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/flex/?gnav=header-all-vehicles

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Your friend knows they are going to check the tires of the trade in right? And cut the price by a thousand for annoying them

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evil SpongeBob posted:

I'd like to hear more about the Ford flex. I have to order about 100 work cars for a government lease and my choices for the larger SUVs are Traverse, Durango, envoy, Grand Cherokee Laredo and flex. (I now own a personal trailhawk, so I ordered a turbo 4 Cherokee trailhawk for me.) My choices are mostly the base models with the exception of trailhawk for downsize to Cherokee.

We only have like 1 flex in our fleet.

All of those aren't exactly good models. The Traverse is a worst reliability pick from CR. Durango is typical dodge quality (BAD). Cherokee is nice to drive, but still a Fiat. The Flex is ok, but ugly, and dated, good for old people though. Flex would have the best reliability of the bunch, but honestly its more a minivan than an SUV on the inside and your fleet drivers might hate you for picking it over the others.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

weird i thought they already killed it, oops!

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

zapplez posted:

If they think any sort of maintenance on their Juke is expensive, they should sure as hell not buy a bimmer.

zapplez posted:

Your friend knows they are going to check the tires of the trade in right? And cut the price by a thousand for annoying them

I'm sorry, you're saying two opposing things here. They get that the Juke is reasonably salvageable, but have the budget and desire for a more featureful vehicle (specifically a heated steering wheel) if it exists - but are having difficulty finding a list by searching online.

Thanks anyway!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The point is that they're gonna pay for those tires one way or another. It's generally cheaper if they buy the tires before trading in the car.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

weird i thought they already killed it, oops!

There's rumors it's going to die in 2020 but Ford hasn't confirmed it yet.

I was looking at them briefly within the last year. I talked to a salesman and he said nobody has ever come in looking for one. Oddly enough, they switched to a CVT at some point and the CVT got worse gas mileage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I'm sorry, you're saying two opposing things here. They get that the Juke is reasonably salvageable, but have the budget and desire for a more featureful vehicle (specifically a heated steering wheel) if it exists - but are having difficulty finding a list by searching online.

Thanks anyway!

that person is not saying two opposing things - they are telling you two separate and important facts:

1) if you find consumables like tires and mass-market AC systems to be so costly that they serve as a break point for buying a new vehicle, you will extremely not enjoy the BMW ownership experience since all consumables are more expensive, other things break more, and repair costs for equivalent repairs are significantly higher

2) if you trade in or sell a car with poo poo tires and a busted AC system, the dealer will knock off trade in value or the buyer will knock off price, at best by the amount it would cost to have new tires put on the car and the AC system fixed. you might luck out and sucker some craigslist rando, i guess?

it's fine that the person wants to ditch their juke and buy a new car! since this is also a BFC outpost it's generally frowned upon to come in here and tell us "i have to fix my car and its too expensive lol im gonna buy a new car lol"

just say why you want to do what you do up front. if it has nothing to do with juke repair costs, that's fine! if it has to do with juke repair costs, that is a very, very stupid decision.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

There's rumors it's going to die in 2020 but Ford hasn't confirmed it yet.

I was looking at them briefly within the last year. I talked to a salesman and he said nobody has ever come in looking for one. Oddly enough, they switched to a CVT at some point and the CVT got worse gas mileage.

The Flex doesn’t sell well and lots of people hate how it looks. It does numbers in California but pretty much is nonexistent elsewhere.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

KillHour posted:

The point is that they're gonna pay for those tires one way or another. It's generally cheaper if they buy the tires before trading in the car.
Is this still true even when the car isn’t worth much? I got a Carmax appraisal a few months ago for $2000 for my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. It has some issues and definitely needs new tires, but they didn’t mention the tires to me. I’m finally about to sell it to either Carmax or as a trade-in to a dealer. Should I get new tires?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Crooked Booty posted:

Is this still true even when the car isn’t worth much? I got a Carmax appraisal a few months ago for $2000 for my 2007 Honda Civic hybrid. It has some issues and definitely needs new tires, but they didn’t mention the tires to me. I’m finally about to sell it to either Carmax or as a trade-in to a dealer. Should I get new tires?

They need to have legal tires on it to sell the car. You can get some lightly used ones for <$100 a piece and it should be fine, as long as they all match.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Flex is the most comfortable car I’ve ever been in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Trevor Hale posted:

Flex is the most comfortable car I’ve ever been in.

This says a lot more about you than the Flex.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The flex owns. It’s one of my go to rentals. Sadly it seems to be all but phased out now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FCKGW posted:

The Flex doesn’t sell well and lots of people hate how it looks. It does numbers in California but pretty much is nonexistent elsewhere.

I've seen a ton of them show up in rental fleets lately. I'm guessing Ford is selling them dirt cheap to the rental companies just to keep the production line moving. Avis in ATL and Orlando had a bunch for rent.

The Flex is a polarizing vehicle in the looks department. People either love or hate it, not too many folks in the middle from my experience.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

Hello cargoons, I also agree that the Flex owns to drive, especially if you get the turbo'd one, but what can I say, it's ugly and I love it

(I didn't get one though for the daily driver replacement)

So my 2013 Focus ST got totaled in a front-end collision, the gearbox ended up in the battery, fun stuff.

We used the payout on that to get a replacement for the 300k mile Forester- a 2019 Forester, but the time is coming to dump the still-running old Forester and replace it with another fun car.

A newer model Focus ST is always an option and a safe one, I know I like it, and it'll fit in my budget but I want to explore other options

Proposed Budget: $15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: I want a smaller something- basically anything from two-door wrangler to a replacement 4-door Focus ST. If we're getting into SUV sizes, we've gotten too big.

Could totally do a kei car import from Japan for stupid decisions.

Manual transmission is a definite plus.

Even RHD wouldn't be a problem.

How will you be using the car?: First and foremost I want it to be fun. It only NEEDS to be driven to work once a week. We've got an (admittedly very) stupid tuned WRX for gofast, so it doesn't HAVE to be gofast. Maybe offroading? A bit of towing capacity would be nice but is certainly not a requirement.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style): No european cars, I'm not made of money. I want it to be reliable enough that a guy who can turn a wrench and watch youtube videos can basically keep it maintained (the most intensive repair I've taken on is a valve cover gasket replacement on another old Forester). I also don't want it to be huge.

Fun is probably the biggest, most important aspect. (I also want an aux in or a usb in for audio but whatever that can be done aftermarket if I have to)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Buy a mini op.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

Buy a mini op.

minis are the apple of cars

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

Dead? That's what they want you to think.

SolusLunes posted:

They cost twice as much as they should and the glass cracks too easily?

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They cost twice as much as they should and the glass cracks too easily?

pretty much

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

SolusLunes posted:

No way, Mini is the Android of cars because of the amount of configuration you can do. Toyota is the Apple of cars. :colbert:

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

TheWevel posted:

No way, Mini is the Android of cars because of the amount of configuration you can do. Toyota is the Apple of cars. :colbert:

When people stop buying minis for stupid prices just to get the badge, then I'll agree with you.

But this is a stupid derail.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SolusLunes posted:

Agreed. They’re the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011