Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

I guess Mini maintenance costs in the UK are more reasonable, compared to the USA where you're paying BMW money for a fun car that's generally not much better than the equivalent Focus or whatever?

If the only real requirement for a car is fun and fairly low maintenance, go drive a Miata. You don't have to get one, but they pretty much set the bar for a fun, reliable car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

SolusLunes posted:

No, friend. You're the best.

:shobon:

The real best car was the friends we made along the way.

For real though, and this is controversial probably. The new Mini Cooper S with the dsg box is the single best all round car I’ve ever driven if you consider the following:

Cost, performance, quality, fun, nvh, package.

Over here they’re basically the same prices as a focus st though and half like a 140/rs3.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

For real though, and this is controversial probably. The new Mini Cooper S with the dsg box is the single best all round car I’ve ever driven if you consider the following:

Over here they’re basically the same prices as a focus st though and half like a 140/rs3.

I may be mistaken but I believe the Mini Cooper S can come with a manual or 6-speed shiftable automatic, no DSG / DCT. Just being pedantic.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Something Offal posted:

I may be mistaken but I believe the Mini Cooper S can come with a manual or 6-speed shiftable automatic, no DSG / DCT.

Mine is a 7 speed dual clutch steptronic

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Bape Culture posted:

Mine is a 7 speed dual clutch steptronic

Aha you know what, this is probably because you're not in the US. We get different transmissions here for whatever reason. Sad!

e: missed my ninja edit sorry bud

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 7, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Something Offal posted:

Steptronic seems to be a MINI-branded shiftable auto, not a DCT. It also seems like it is 6-speed, not 7. You sure?

Yes

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

I now have several regrets.

:barf:

heffray posted:

If the only real requirement for a car is fun and fairly low maintenance, go drive a Miata. You don't have to get one, but they pretty much set the bar for a fun, reliable car.

Miatas are real high on my list- they fit perfectly into my price range, and are pretty drat fun.

I feel like it'll eventually come down between a Miata and some jeepalike.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can you get a S2000 for that in the states?
They can be had for £10k here. I much prefer it to the standard mx5s I’ve driven.
Or an Elise?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

SolusLunes posted:

an actually interesting request

if you fit in a kei car and have any appetite for it buy a loving Honda Beat as soon as possible

honestly if you can do a valve cover gasket euro cars are well within your shadetree skills, it's just that parts tend to be a bit more spendy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

Can you get a S2000 for that in the states?
They can be had for £10k here. I much prefer it to the standard mx5s I’ve driven.
Or an Elise?

Elises are both scarce and spendy unless they've absolutely been trashed

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
You can get an AP1 for sure, not sure about an AP2.

Comedy option: Buy a NA or NB Miata and throw this lift kit on it:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/lift-kit.html

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bape Culture posted:

I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone describe a Mini as the best all around car, especially when value for money is involved. But I hope you really enjoy it and its worry free and fun!

Theres about 4 girls at my work that bought various years of them and they have had nothing but problem after problem. But they do love driving their 'go karts' as they call them.

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you fit in a kei car and have any appetite for it buy a loving Honda Beat as soon as possible

honestly if you can do a valve cover gasket euro cars are well within your shadetree skills, it's just that parts tend to be a bit more spendy

yeah it's basically part price and availability that keeps me from wanting a eurocar

I wish I had driven a Beat when I had the opportunity when I lived in Japan, those things seem so goddamn cool

mariooncrack posted:

You can get an AP1 for sure, not sure about an AP2.

Comedy option: Buy a NA or NB Miata and throw this lift kit on it:

https://www.flyinmiata.com/lift-kit.html

that's so dumb and I love it

SolusLunes
Oct 10, 2011

zapplez posted:

Theres about 4 girls at my work that bought various years of them and they have had nothing but problem after problem. But they do love driving their 'go karts' as they call them.

I will admit that my view on the Mini has been biased by the fact that my cousin and sister-in-law both have had minis, and they are absolute car imbeciles.

Their poo poo is always breaking, and it's not cheap for them to fix.

I admittedly haven't offered to help either of them, given one lives about 1000 miles away and I basically hate the other one with every fiber of my being.

Plus, to my untrained eye, they look dumb. Kind of like the new-model Jeep taillights- that 'x' on them just looks like a stripper with the electrical tape over their nipple and it's SO DUMB.

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Bape Culture posted:

Agreed. They’re the best

You're my new Posting Ally. We can reassure each other that we made The Correct Choice when our annual $4k maintenance bill comes due

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Proposed Budget: $10-15k
New or Used: Used is fine.
Body Style: Something that will fit 5 people plus a decent amount of luggage. Maybe a midsize? I honestly don't know much about car sizes.
How will you be using the car?: Will be mostly used to drive to/from the airport, supermarket, shopping mall, occasional road trips. It's a car that will stay at a shared apartment in Florida that my family uses 6-7 times a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Something with Carplay for GPS purposes would be nice, but not needed.
What aspects are most important to you?: nothing in particular, but reliability is always nice.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'm mostly looking for a point to get started.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How long will the car sit without being driven?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
8 months at most, probably 3-4 on average.

I can probably arrange to have someone start it more often than that (prob. not drive it tho).

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I can probably arrange to have someone start it more often than that (prob. not drive it tho).

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. Look for one that will have enough room for your hauling and be done with it.

Maybe a CR-V or a CX-5 would be a place to start. 2016s are probably getting down into your price range.

The vast majority of the problems your car will experience will be due to extensive sitting, and what cars handle that well isn't particularly obvious.

So don't worry about it. Find something you like. There is no "ideal" car for this mission, just one that works.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope you can park the car inside. Florida humidity and months of sitting at a time sounds like a great recipe for your brake rotors needing to be replaced every 6 months.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
It’ll be parked in a building parking lot that has a roof but no walls if that makes any sense.

I’ll look into some Hondas and similar cars and see what I find, thanks!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
How many days a year will this car actually drive?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Honestly, as disappointing as this sounds, you guys need a rental car on an irregular basis, not a purchased car. No car when it comes to gas or battery or tires will do well being driven that rarely.

edit : If you had to get something I guess get a Camry. And learn what a battery tender is. And fuel stabilizer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Proposed Budget: $10-15k
New or Used: Used is fine.
Body Style: Something that will fit 5 people plus a decent amount of luggage. Maybe a midsize? I honestly don't know much about car sizes.
How will you be using the car?: Will be mostly used to drive to/from the airport, supermarket, shopping mall, occasional road trips. It's a car that will stay at a shared apartment in Florida that my family uses 6-7 times a year.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Something with Carplay for GPS purposes would be nice, but not needed.
What aspects are most important to you?: nothing in particular, but reliability is always nice.

Sorry for the vagueness, I'm mostly looking for a point to get started.

renting a minivan costs like maybe 75 bucks a day all in so you can rent a minivan for at least 133 days off your purchase budget alone. once you pull out fuel and insurance and depreciation and poo poo you certainly are at like 250 days worth of minivan, plus that way you don't have to worry about the loving thing

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the more I’m looking into this the more I’m leaning towards that option.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
Proposed Budget: 25, 000 is our max. I'd be happier with 15-20 though.
New or Used: Used is Fine
Body Style: SUV, maybe Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Transport family of 4. Will occasionally be towing trailer-loads to the dump and stuff. My in-laws live 300 miles away and we'd be making trips up there 4-6 times a year. We also live in the Minnesota frozen hellscape.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Nah
What aspects are most important to you? Safety is number one. With fuel economy and maintenance being up there too.

We're looking at a new family/ cargo vehicle to replace our dying 2002 Grand Cherokee. We need something that will travel well on frozen interstate and gravel roads, along with transporting the kids and all their gear.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what kind of trailer you towing and do your kids play hockey

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what kind of trailer you towing and do your kids play hockey

Just a little utility trailer for hauling garbage/ lumber.

And no, but we camp often.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NinjaPete posted:

Proposed Budget: 25, 000 is our max. I'd be happier with 15-20 though.
New or Used: Used is Fine
Body Style: SUV, maybe Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Transport family of 4. Will occasionally be towing trailer-loads to the dump and stuff. My in-laws live 300 miles away and we'd be making trips up there 4-6 times a year. We also live in the Minnesota frozen hellscape.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Nah
What aspects are most important to you? Safety is number one. With fuel economy and maintenance being up there too.

We're looking at a new family/ cargo vehicle to replace our dying 2002 Grand Cherokee. We need something that will travel well on frozen interstate and gravel roads, along with transporting the kids and all their gear.

Toyota Highlander or Honda Pilot are the best in the segment, but will be hard to find at that price. Cross shop Hyundai Santa Fe or Tucson and Kia Sportage. CrV and RAV4 are always good choices but might be a bit undersized for you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think the CR-V et all are going to be just a bit small for you. I would first look at the highlander and I don't think that there is too much difficulty finding one at around $15-20K used as long as you are willing to accept ~100K miles. A couple more out there thoughts:

Subaru Outback - you can slap a trailer hitch on it for periodic towing. The 3.6R is much better than the 2.5 but you'll pay a bit in fuel economy.
GMT900 - GM body on frame poo poo is pretty reliable and indestructible. You should be able to find a Tahoe or a Yukon in your price range. Not as safe overall as newer unibody stuff, well safer than your Jeep.
Chevrolet TrailBlazer - gets a bit older but also widely available, cheap, and fairly indestructible. Not as safe overall as newer unibody stuff, well safer than your Jeep.
Ford Flex
A Minivan

Do not buy a CVT Nissan Pathfinder. Just generally don't buy a Nissan.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

zapplez posted:

Your friend knows they are going to check the tires of the trade in right? And cut the price by a thousand for annoying them

KillHour posted:

The point is that they're gonna pay for those tires one way or another. It's generally cheaper if they buy the tires before trading in the car.

What? A dealer is going to gently caress you on trade values no matter what, it's what they do. There's absolutely zero chance a dealer increases the value of your trade by an amount equal to the consumer's cost of putting new tires on it. If they have to put tires on it to sell it, they'll do it at the wholesale cost of the tires and they've already got mechanics / a tire machine sitting there to do the work with.

But they probably won't even do that, because they'll probably just shovel it to an auction.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think the CR-V et all are going to be just a bit small for you.

I poo poo you not, aside from height - and that's mainly a factor of the lift and tires - my WJ and my CR-V are almost identical in size, inside and out. The CR-V's cargo bay is ever so slightly larger. Grand Cherokees really aren't that big.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Hi thread, please help me decide between a Mazda CX-5 and a Subaru Forester. I know the CX-5 is a thread favorite for lots of reasons that I probably don't need to restate, but there are some things I prefer about the Forester such as:
  • way better visibility out the sides and back
  • the back window is less slanted which means more standing room for my big hairy dog
  • between the cargo mat and the option for rear seat back protectors, there is no exposed carpet in the cargo area (i.e no soft surface that will become permanently embedded with dog hair immediately). On the CX-5, the whole cargo area is carpeted including the side walls. Even if I get a third party cargo mat and something to cover the back seats, the side walls will be hairy in no time.
The CX-5 is absolutely more fun to drive, it outranks the Forester in almost every objective measure, and the interior feels much nicer. In fact, it's so much nicer that I feel like I'm going to ruin it via my dog. We're also expecting a baby in May. I didn't particularly like the CRV or RAV4.

Please tell me why I should buy one or the other.

ETA: I am specifically looking at a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring vs a 2019 Subaru Forester Limited if that is relevant.

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 9, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Get the new turbo CX-5 :getin:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Based on what you've written, get the CX-5. It sounds like you like it more.

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,

- Hávamál
Oh, my wife is interested in the Ford Edge. I know jack about it, but does anyone have any strong feelings one way or another on it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If im trying to replace my beater 2002 corolla with a slightly newer, still dirt cheap car, is the thread recommendation still a prius? Or is it better to go with any year corolla or civic? Trying to stay sub $10k, the lower the better. Ultimate goal is a car with as little financial impact as possible, while still being able to do car things like go on a road trip occasionally. Prius comes to mind because the higher MPG might offset the increased insurance premium, bringing total monthly cost lower.

e: also are Prius' as old as 2008 still decent? Do batteries get old and awful like smartphone batteries? Are Prius listings with "reconditioned batteries" a huge no-no?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Proposed Budget: 20-40k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4 door hatch/wagon
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Daily driver to occasionally commute in, take our dog in, and potentially a baby in the next few years.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Something nice-ish
What aspects are most important to you? Ideally a manual transmission and fun to drive. My last car was a Cayman, which is a bit impractical for a baby/dog. I'm going to get another fun car in the next year or two, but I need something to use as a daily driver, and the less I spend on this the better I'll feel about getting something fun. I'm not sure whether just to bite the bullet and get another GTI (I used to have a 2010 GTI which was great) or if there's anything else I should consider. Golf R? Used M3? Used C63? Some sort of other BMW/Audi? I think about something like an E90 but then wonder whether it makes sense to rely on an 8 year old car with a high strung engine as a daily driver.

How much of a PITA would it be to put a rear-facing car seat in an M2/911?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Residency Evil posted:

Proposed Budget: 20-40k
New or Used: Either
Body Style: (e.g. 2 door? 4 door? Compact/Midsize/Fullsize Sedan? Truck? SUV?) 4 door hatch/wagon
How will you be using the car?: (Do you tow things? Haul more than 5 people on a regular basis? Have a super long commute? How are you going to use this vehicle? Daily driver to occasionally commute in, take our dog in, and potentially a baby in the next few years.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Something nice-ish
What aspects are most important to you? Ideally a manual transmission and fun to drive. My last car was a Cayman, which is a bit impractical for a baby/dog. I'm going to get another fun car in the next year or two, but I need something to use as a daily driver, and the less I spend on this the better I'll feel about getting something fun. I'm not sure whether just to bite the bullet and get another GTI (I used to have a 2010 GTI which was great) or if there's anything else I should consider. Golf R? Used M3? Used C63? Some sort of other BMW/Audi? I think about something like an E90 but then wonder whether it makes sense to rely on an 8 year old car with a high strung engine as a daily driver.

How much of a PITA would it be to put a rear-facing car seat in an M2/911?

The M2 is a poor choice for car seats. Hard pass if you are serious about needing to haul youngin in the cars lifetime. And the 911 will be terrible for any sort of family.
https://www.cars.com/articles/2015-bmw-2-series-car-seat-check-1420680861379/

GTI is a good responsible choice, youll end up spending a lot less than an bimmer or benz, but you won't have that prestige badge. 5 series or C Class/E Class is great too but much more money. Audi S6 is also a great choice.

Buy what you can justify spending on and love the look of, all of them are close competitors and there isnt really a "bad choice" (minus 911 as a dad)

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NinjaPete posted:

Oh, my wife is interested in the Ford Edge. I know jack about it, but does anyone have any strong feelings one way or another on it?

Its ok. Its good. There are no real red flags to watch out for, no lovely trans or engine that tends to catch fire. Its ok in looks, fuel economy, but not great at anything.

If you like it , go for it. The Honda/Toyota/Mazda equivalent is better on car and driver tests/consumer reports reliability, but at the end of the day if your wife already wants one, its not a bad choice at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

NinjaPete posted:

My dad test drove one last year and hated it. I think he drove an ecoboost model but there was some serious lag between pressing the accelerator down and the car moving.