Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What was the reason the Huana haven't been conquered? Reticence by the RDC/VTC?

In any event, they not only fail to feed their citizens but can't protect them. And for as much as the foreigners pushed the Roparu into the Gullet, the Huanan nobility are happily sitting in their mansions on top of the hill and are putting up just as much of a repulsion to the Roparu as the foreigners.

So my hot take is: They can't even follow through with their own imperative of prize-share because they have the food but can't/don't feed their Roparu and fail to defend them from foreign invasion, the current state of affairs is a clever way to buy time but they're not really able to do much with the time except starve their citizens and ride the Watcher's coattails. So, failed system, failed state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octo1
May 7, 2009

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Peeps should I wait for future patched before finally starting this game?

Also what devoted wep is best? :V

While others recommended dual damage type weapons, keep in mind that all characters automatically gain unarmed proficiency, so you can just pick Unarmed Monastic Training + any non-crush damage weapon, and that would give you access to multiple damage types.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jokes posted:

What was the reason the Huana haven't been conquered? Reticence by the RDC/VTC?

In any event, they not only fail to feed their citizens but can't protect them. And for as much as the foreigners pushed the Roparu into the Gullet, the Huanan nobility are happily sitting in their mansions on top of the hill and are putting up just as much of a repulsion to the Roparu as the foreigners.

So my hot take is: They can't even follow through with their own imperative of prize-share because they have the food but can't/don't feed their Roparu and fail to defend them from foreign invasion, the current state of affairs is a clever way to buy time but they're not really able to do much with the time except starve their citizens and ride the Watcher's coattails. So, failed system, failed state.

You realize you’re literally arguing imperialism is justified if you have the military power to pull it off right...?

As for why they don’t conquer the archipelago, it’s because neither group is strong enough to do it without exposing themselves to opportunistic strikes from the Huana or Principi. That’s the whole point of Onekaza’s strategy is to keep their head low long enough to incite open conflict between the companies and then make a break for freedom. Ukaizo and the Watcher provide an alternative route to security.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Where is turn-based mode I need it

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Captain Oblivious posted:

You realize you’re literally arguing imperialism is justified if you have the military power to pull it off right...?

Given how all their other arguments are carbon copies of the same poo poo western powers used to colonize, conquer, and exploit other lands, I'm rather convinced that yes, they do realize what arguments they're using.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the best choice is clearly the RDC and turning the brass citadel into a ghost town by choosing to send them packing via bullets

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Berke Negri posted:

the best choice is clear-cutting the RDC with swords, guns, and psionics

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Wonder how a no-magic party would do? No magic classes, no cipher, no arcana skill, no summon figurines, no magic-flavored items (eccea's arcane blaster etc). alchemy is okay. Just a bunch of rowdy pirates shooting the place up and abusing drugs liberally.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

andrew smash posted:

Wonder how a no-magic party would do? No magic classes, no cipher, no arcana skill, no summon figurines, no magic-flavored items (eccea's arcane blaster etc). alchemy is okay. Just a bunch of rowdy pirates shooting the place up and abusing drugs liberally.

It would work fine, but it's not really a low magic setting. Even Eder has magical power, he just uses it to hit people really hard.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I think you'd struggle with healing. Even in the endgame I found it hard to get enough materials to make good healing potions. I think you'd have to stack athletics on every character and rely on second wind as your primary source for heals.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

420 work with the Druids on Sayuka every single day

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

does maia get mad if you kill the hazanui that shows up after you raze sayuka

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I think you'd struggle with healing. Even in the endgame I found it hard to get enough materials to make good healing potions. I think you'd have to stack athletics on every character and rely on second wind as your primary source for heals.

i don't know if you can struggle with healing unless you're playing very sub-optimally. maybe on something like PotD when you're new to the game and didn't play the first one? maybe against the super bosses? for main plot stuff at least, there's not anything i can think of where healing is really an issue.

fighter/barb/rogue/monk/paladin/ranger are all solid classes and i don't think it'd be significantly more difficult. it's actually one thing i really like about PoE that it's not 100% caster supremacy and other classes can meaningfully contribute to encounters beyond acting as a meat shield for wizards and clerics.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I was thinking paladins would be excluded but would go with the other 5. I might give it a shot.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Shadows Under Neketaka

Did they ever explain what the Watershapers did to lose Ondra's favor?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
If anything, you'll have such high single target damage that bosses will be less concerning than mobs.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

andrew smash posted:

In PoE1 I did a pike/shot themed group with a doppelsoldner barbarian, two pike/blunderbuss fighters, two rogue arquebusiers, and a paladin commander. It went...ok. I think it'd be better in Deadfire with a Herald commander for healing, but probably not PotD. That might be a touch too magical though, but still, you could do it on veteran without the passive healing I think.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 7, 2019

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Eraflure posted:

"I’m gonna be obnoxious and ask which main game faction you all prefer to side with and why. Sorry in advanced for ruining the thread"
Boy you weren't kidding.

I'm sorry! Thanks for the discussion everyone. I've read all your posts and thoughts on the ending factions and have decided not to play this game. thx

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

420 work with the Druids on Sayuka every single day
Can you? I’ve had to fight my way to them every time and they’re always hostile.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Every time I've done it there's some dialogue beforehand, and if you have a good relationship with the old druid that you run into on the first island of the game (or pass some other checks), they're willing to hear you out.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Oh hey, Deltros Cage makes me softlock on the inventory screen. Rip, it looks cool.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

If not, I can’t say I see the point of the whole relationship UI element. IMO it would only be marginally more preferable than a KOTOR2/NWN2 invisible tally system and deprive us of novel “what the gently caress is your deal” CNPCs like Kreia. You can still get that in expert mode, I suppose. But more to the point, if relationship progressions are basically inevitable (provided shared adventuring experiences) then why present them as a dynamic system? In other words, why give us the dashboard when party dynamics could just as easily make themselves apparent in traditional, diegetic ways? What does it add?
I cannot say with certainty that companion relationship progressions are inevitable, but I believe they are not inevitable. It really comes down to tuning, which is something we didn't do enough of prior to launch.

The intention was absolutely supposed to be that the player would be able to steer conversations toward/away from certain topics to accelerate or avoid confrontations. And certainly because such progressions are fundamentally mathematical, i.e. not tied to specific conversations, but rather to the accrual of points toward thresholds, the goal was for something that felt less rigidly connected to specific conversations in specific locations at specific times. The player can delay or accelerate confrontations between companions in Deadfire. Whether or not the player can avoid them entirely is not something I can answer with certainty but the system certainly allows for it by design and structure. Failures in that regard are due more to this being the first time attempting to use the system than anything inherent to the system itself.

The use of high-level topics like "Racist" or "Pro-Eothas" is both for the player's benefit and for the benefit of writers. It removes a level of ambiguity from deciding what a character is going to be pleased/pissed off about because there are general spheres of topical reactivity. The game does still allow (and we occasionally use) basic attitude adjustments without topic tags. Like if you just tell a character, "I hate your guts," most players would not be surprised to see a negative reaction from the character in question.

And yes, you can disable the display of topics in conversations if you don't want to see them, which sort of answers your second to last question -- without the use of explicit topics and markers in conversations, the party dynamics are not as apparent as when writers simply arbitrarily mark lines and the player has to read between the lines.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

An example of where the player used to be able to massively accelerate a confrontation between Pallegina and Xoti was Pallegina's hub. If the player champs at the bit to drill down into all of Pallegina's opinions on faith and the gods, Xoti maxes out her confrontation threshold before you're even halfway through the conversation. That was obviously way too aggressive, but that's what I mean by it being a matter of tuning and giving the player the options to steer away from topics.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My main beef with the relationship system is that it's easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for me to get any dick from Aloth.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

wiegieman posted:

It would work fine, but it's not really a low magic setting. Even Eder has magical power, he just uses it to hit people really hard.

yeah, unless im mistaken everyone on eora can work some kind of "magic" by drawing upon their soul essence, just sometimes in ways that aren't being a nerd in a robe which usually requires some extra book learning to really make things pop

except for ciphers who apparently weird everyone out cause they're just born that way

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

rope kid posted:

An example of where the player used to be able to massively accelerate a confrontation between Pallegina and Xoti was Pallegina's hub. If the player champs at the bit to drill down into all of Pallegina's opinions on faith and the gods, Xoti maxes out her confrontation threshold before you're even halfway through the conversation. That was obviously way too aggressive, but that's what I mean by it being a matter of tuning and giving the player the options to steer away from topics.

Out of curiosity, did you and the designers have discussions about the complexities of their dialogue and outlooks and adding nuances to it? Let's use everyone's favorite topic: the RDC and Maia's pro-Rauatai outlook. While you do have conversations about their wetwork assassination poo poo, you still don't convince her that Rauatai is being pretty poo poo-rear end suck to the rest of the world by being an imperialist superpower who is just out there to conquer. Unlike Kana, who seems equally devoted to Rauatai in Pillars 1, your conversations with him can drastically change his outlook and attitude but still love his homeland. In this case, convincing Maia that what the RDC is doing in Deadfire may be good for short term gains but in the long run, their expansionism may unite the known world against them and they'd be utterly crushed. You know, like real world parallels. So in by doing that, you can poopoo the RDC's mission with her in the party but won't receive negative points with her.

Was that ever a conversation at some point? Or was it just a quick thought before realizing it would be kind of a programming nightmare and a complete vacuum of resources?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xae posted:

Shadows Under Neketaka

Did they ever explain what the Watershapers did to lose Ondra's favor?

It's genuinely kind of unclear.

On the one hand it MIGHT be that they stopped protecting the luminous adra since that was Their One Job but they only stopped after the Gods nuked Ukaizo for completely unrelated reasons (burying the secret). There's also some evidence, based on how Tekehu finds the "secrets of Watershaping" in Ukaizo that to some degree it's like ATLA waterbending and that there are forms and poo poo?

It's not super clear.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I think i'll go Huana and have VTC keep a research base. How do I get the VTC to not be Rivals of the Huana? Just have a diff faction at the 2nd highest reputation?

Next play through I'll try the VTC route and try and be as easy on Huana as possible

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Truecon420 posted:

I think i'll go Huana and have VTC keep a research base. How do I get the VTC to not be Rivals of the Huana? Just have a diff faction at the 2nd highest reputation?

Next play through I'll try the VTC route and try and be as easy on Huana as possible

Yeah. Get the Principi or the RDC higher than the VTC and you're golden.

I'd genuinely say that "side with the Huana, VTC not rival, Castol still in good graces with VTC" is the best possible ending. Because while the VTC mostly withdraws in terms of aggressive expansionism, Castol manages to remain in the archipelago as an ardent supporter of animancy for animancy's sake. And he is completely fine with that.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Hail Abydon, bitches. We replaced Skaen with this newfangled falling blade.

If Pillars 3's god-plot is helping Abydon build the God Cleaver and getting Woedica's bitch-rear end neck in that thing, I'll buy three copies.

Skaen goes on too, he's totally a cop posing as an anarchist.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

Yeah. Get the Principi or the RDC higher than the VTC and you're golden.

I'd genuinely say that "side with the Huana, VTC not rival, Castol still in good graces with VTC" is the best possible ending. Because while the VTC mostly withdraws in terms of aggressive expansionism, Castol manages to remain in the archipelago as an ardent supporter of animancy for animancy's sake. And he is completely fine with that.

Thanks! And from everything I've read, that sounds spot on. Also based on what I read, Hieronymous Alloy may be right about VTC ending being the most optimal for handling the global threat itself. That said, i'm sure for poe3 multiple endings to poe2 would handle it well (maybe some better than others). Also, the VTC ending hinted at some downsides to the global threat countering efficiency

Truecon420 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 8, 2019

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Truecon420 posted:

Thanks! And from everything I've read, that sounds spot on. Also based on what I read, Hieronymous Alloy may be right about VTC ending being the most optimal for handling the global threat itself. That said, i'm sure for poe3 multiple endings to poe2 would handle it well (maybe some better than others). Also, the VTC ending hinted at some downsides to the global threat countering efficiency

The issue with the claim that the VTC is optimal to handling the global threat is that while that's POSSIBLY true (they certainly have the capacity)...the VTC are a plutocratic oligarchy.

How well has OUR plutocratic oligarchy handled the issue of global warming, a similarly apocalyptic but long term threat :v:

Now, recall that the VTC has largely been grinding up luminous adra for bath salts. Yeeeaaahhh...Castol is a (mostly) good dude but he's an idealist and it's a mistake to view him as representative of the VTC as a whole. I suspect that having him in the Deadfire without the responsibility of being the hand of Vailian dominance and colonialism might be better in the long run.

Edit: It's easy to forget how close Castol comes to being ousted in favor of a "completely rape and pillage the region" alternative.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 8, 2019

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Out of curiosity, did you and the designers have discussions about the complexities of their dialogue and outlooks and adding nuances to it? Let's use everyone's favorite topic: the RDC and Maia's pro-Rauatai outlook. While you do have conversations about their wetwork assassination poo poo, you still don't convince her that Rauatai is being pretty poo poo-rear end suck to the rest of the world by being an imperialist superpower who is just out there to conquer. Unlike Kana, who seems equally devoted to Rauatai in Pillars 1, your conversations with him can drastically change his outlook and attitude but still love his homeland. In this case, convincing Maia that what the RDC is doing in Deadfire may be good for short term gains but in the long run, their expansionism may unite the known world against them and they'd be utterly crushed. You know, like real world parallels. So in by doing that, you can poopoo the RDC's mission with her in the party but won't receive negative points with her.

Was that ever a conversation at some point? Or was it just a quick thought before realizing it would be kind of a programming nightmare and a complete vacuum of resources?

There are plausible character reasons for this difference between the characters. Kana is a historian and scholar who's regarded as somewhat eccentric; Maia is a soldier willing to shoot civilians to advance her government's political agenda.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kana is 200% the bleeding heart liberal of Rauatai. :v:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Yeah, while she's not as in your face about it, Maia is definitely as pro Rautai as Pallegina is Pro VTC.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
What game are you playing? She's in your face and extra smug about it. It got so bad i benched her.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If the last five pages have taught us anything it's that we NEED the next patch right now I don't care if the narrator isn't back from vacation to record her lines yet and you haven't figured out a diplomatic way to say there actually is no turn-based mode and never was Obsidian PLEASE put the next patch into beta NOW

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

andrew smash posted:

What game are you playing? She's in your face and extra smug about it. It got so bad i benched her.

Yeah if anything Pallegina isn't as in your face about it.

You don't see Pallegina going "HAHA WE GONNA VIOLENTLY SUBJUGATE YER CULTURE :haw:" to the Queen. Or crowing about killing a bunch of people for defending themselves from invasion, to a shopkeep.

Pallegina keeps her massive nationalism boner slightly more under wraps.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

My PotD No Blessings run seemed to hit a pretty severe dead end at the Splintered Reef, but then I swapped in Xoti and it was easy. Moral of the story: use Priests, they are your friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Xalidur posted:

My PotD No Blessings run seemed to hit a pretty severe dead end at the Splintered Reef, but then I swapped in Xoti and it was easy. Moral of the story: use Priests, they are your friends.

Yep! Priests and Paladins are extra good there