Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Zogo posted:

Can you elaborate on where those two terms diverge and converge?

Here's the thing I remember seeing many years back: https://tubitv.com/tv-shows/327694/gallagher_we_need_a_hero
Are the first six minutes apolitical?

An important thing to remember here is that getting yourself riled up and making fun of the hypocrisies and odorousness of famous people is not necessarily an ideological critique. A critique of ideology is, at its most basic, an articulation of a moral vision, where one draws from the material realities at their disposal to identify overarching sources of wrongdoing that are not reducible to the cynical nature or actions of individuals, and to thus at least imply the framework for a solution. Now, of course, it's perfectly possible to have not only a completely truthful but, in the case of a comedian, incisively funny critique of individuals. But there is no continuity between simply critiquing individual behavior and the manifestation of a moral vision. Indeed, a foundational aspect of the so called 'apolitical' individual is that they themselves do not conceive of there being anything beyond the individual. Hypocrisy and injustice are just the result of unalterable 'human nature,' and from this standpoint we only ever arrive at a reactionary conclusion.

It's not so much that the terms are distinct. It's that one is the preamble to the other. The Stranger article calling Gallagher 'apolitical' is not necessarily them being ignorant of his political material. (Though they very well may be just bullshitting based on their memetic knowledge of Gallagher and not any critical research.) It's accurately identifying these bits as just part of a spectacle that is primarily there to give people catharsis, to give them individual clowns to mock and jeer at, while ultimately reframing from identifying an alternative to the status quo that these individuals ostensibly represent. Really, Gallagher's whole act is comedy-as-catharsis distilled. He literally amps himself up to just start smashing things, to take all of this atomized agony and resentment with no clear direction and dispel it in a violent spectacle. But the problem is that breaking things only goes so far. The energy has been dispelled, but the thing that creates that energy remains. The apolitical becomes the reactionary when the pathological drive for catharsis meets the obstacle of all of these inherently flawed humans now suddenly having the audacity to think that there is a moral vision that can fundamentally change people's lives for the better, and that you/Gallagher, need to change some fundamental aspect of yourself in order to be a part of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Zogo posted:

Sarah Silverman: Louis C.K. Masturbated “In Front of Me” with Consent
https://decider.com/2018/10/22/sarah-silverman-louis-ck-masturbated-consensual/

Strange that the article mentions him being mainly apolitical in earlier years. I remember him roasting US presidents, US political families and UK royalty with vigor in his 1992 special. He even had statues of politicians up on stage and was walking up to each of them and screaming at them before smashing stuff with the sledgehammer.

"Those clowns in Congress! What a bunch of clowns!" is not really controversial political commentary.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Silverman's whole thing seems to be less about defending Louis and more wrestling with her own part in it. She's just done it very openly instead of the passing "it's complicated" stuff people like Colbert and Jon Stewart have said. Even the "he masturbated in front of me and it was ok" came with "but we were equals and that's totally different from what happened with these women who he had power over". It just all seems like her wrestling with her idea of her friend and this new reality that he's a predator and the human discomfort that such a thing creates. But I haven't heard her call into question to the accusations or suggest he was innocent.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

To say you are apolitical is functionally identical to saying that you are fine with the status quo and the massive amounts of reactionary terror that is a part of it, because you don't give enough of a poo poo to try and fix it.

More or less. And eventually you find out that "apolitical" stars are actually very political, just not in a way that will help their careers if it is widely publicized.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Sodomy Hussein posted:

More or less. And eventually you find out that "apolitical" stars are actually very political, just not in a way that will help their careers if it is widely publicized.

I can't remember any examples off the top of my head but I've seen celebrities/performers say something like "sure, yea I have political opinions like anyone else but my livelihood depends on maintaining a wide fanbase and so I prefer not to speak publicly about those opinions".

It's still a cop-out but at least it's a more honest cop-out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

And while it's not necessary to make everything about politics generally, performers who claim to be apolitical and then mysteriously defend every lovely loving thing are the worst.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Here, this song will explain things https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfhy_P5R9r8

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Variety posted:

National Geographic Channel has pulled its long-running Neil deGrasse Tyson chat show “StarTalk” off the air, at least for now, following allegations of sexual misconduct against the famed astrophysicist. “StarTalk” will remain on hiatus as a Fox Networks Group investigation into the multiple claims continues.

The timing of the allegations put Nat Geo in a tough position. Not only had it just promoted the return of “StarTalk,” but its much-anticipated 13-episode series “Cosmos: Possible Worlds,” the latest edition of the “Cosmos” revival hosted by Tyson, is set to premiere on March 4.

“Cosmos: Possible Worlds” will also air on the Fox network, premiering on March 3, the night before its Nat Geo launch. With just two months before air, it would be virtually impossible for Fox and Nat Geo to replace Tyson on “Cosmos.” Not only does he narrate the series, but he’s incorporated on-camera throughout the show. Nat Geo has touted the fact that “Cosmos: Possible Worlds” will air as a global event on National Geographic in 172 countries and 43 languages, making it an important centerpiece for the network. Should Fox and Nat Geo opt to part ways with Tyson, it would require time and effort to recut the show with a new host (such as, say, executive producer Seth MacFarlane).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

*Picks up red phone*

"Get me Plummer."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

K. Waste posted:

The apolitical becomes the reactionary when the pathological drive for catharsis meets the obstacle of all of these inherently flawed humans now suddenly having the audacity to think that there is a moral vision that can fundamentally change people's lives for the better, and that you/Gallagher, need to change some fundamental aspect of yourself in order to be a part of that.

Thanks, I see what you mean now.

K. Waste posted:

But the problem is that breaking things only goes so far. The energy has been dispelled, but the thing that creates that energy remains.

I'd like to think there's still a market for a comedian to scream at a statue of Trump and smash stuff with a sledgehammer. The problem is Gallagher is too old to aggressively smash watermelons any longer. :smugmrgw:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just listened to a podcast of stand-up comedians talking and the scene in LA comedy clubs at this point is 80/20 for/against Louis coming back, but with pretty much everyone saying this new set is not the first step he should have taken after a year of radio silence.

They also provide an anecdote where Janine Garafalo was in attendance at the film festival where he JO’d at those two women and she says she remembers sitting in the green room when they came downstairs and told everyone what had just happened and everyone just laughed and laughed because it was so gross and weird. At the time everyone was treating it like a funny story. She routinely stands up for Louis CK now, very firmly in the “it was a different time and he’s a very different person now” camp.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I just listened to a podcast of stand-up comedians talking and the scene in LA comedy clubs at this point is 80/20 for/against Louis coming back, but with pretty much everyone saying this new set is not the first step he should have taken after a year of radio silence.

They also provide an anecdote where Janine Garafalo was in attendance at the film festival where he JO’d at those two women and she says she remembers sitting in the green room when they came downstairs and told everyone what had just happened and everyone just laughed and laughed because it was so gross and weird. At the time everyone was treating it like a funny story. She routinely stands up for Louis CK now, very firmly in the “it was a different time and he’s a very different person now” camp.

It's almost like the stand-up comedy scene is awful...

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
It’s almost like everywhere is awful and people are poo poo. Everyone is anti harassment/rape/assault until it was someone they knew, then suddenly it’s “you don’t know the full story she was begging for it and now his life is over”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bust Rodd posted:

this story does not make me feel better about Louis CK but it does make me feel worse about Janeane Garofalo

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

teacup posted:

It’s almost like everywhere is awful and people are poo poo. Everyone is anti harassment/rape/assault until it was someone they knew, then suddenly it’s “you don’t know the full story she was begging for it and now his life is over”

What's George Takei up to these days anyway? Remember when he was one of the first accused and this very thread was all 'wait and listen' because he was on 'their' side? Hilarious.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Cyberpope v2 posted:

What's George Takei up to these days anyway? Remember when he was one of the first accused and this very thread was all 'wait and listen' because he was on 'their' side? Hilarious.

hm yes i wonder what he's up to

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
What a nice guy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I appreciated the insight into the situation. The LA comedy scene is slowly cannibalizing itself due to a war between SJW/Safe Space Crusaders and the old guard “you can’t tell me what is/isn’t funny” and it’s pretty interesting how many people that publically called Louie out and took a stance on him had actually known about it for years.

Tig Notaro was specifically called out as having known all about Louie the entire time he was funding her show and helping her become more established and then ditched him and took a stand only when it was convenient to do so.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm intrigued. Which podcast was this, and which episode?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The last Your Mom’s House w/ Ari Shaffer as a guest. Any single given episode of this podcast would probably cause a 20 page derail, but we all know how Goons feel about comedy podcasters lol

E: Episode 456

Double: Whoa i forgot this episode also covers their views on Hardwick (guess how that goes)... comedy podcasters indeed

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 5, 2019

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://twitter.com/thespookgod/status/1081061832746356736

😬

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Isn’t it weird how black teens getting publicly abused and molested and groomed by Drake and R. Kelly and Morgan Freeman just never seems to matter as much as white women getting molested...

I mean it’s common knowledge that R. Kelly keeps underage sex slaves locked in a mansion. There are huge investigative reports into it. He’s still making music. Freeman’s granddaughter was murdered by boyfriend because she’d been groomed into sex by Freeman, uh he’s fine nothing happened to him. This is like the 3rd “Drake hangs out with teenage girls and does creepy poo poo” tweet I’ve seen this year, but he’s got more money than god so lol at anyone giving a poo poo this decade.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
What's the Freeman thing about?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
His granddaughter was murdered by her boyfriend and he claimed it was because she came out and told him that Freeman had been having a sexual relationship with her since she was a teen. After that happened a bunch of reporters came out and were like “Freeman has always been a totally inappropriate creep, here’s some examples”

The New York Post has literally a dozen articles about from the last year.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
We’ve known about drake for ages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goouXtnDLcI

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Drake also has a really creepy relationship with Millie Bobby Brown that smacks of a grooming attempt. Like the guy is one of the most open predators out there but somehow nobody gives a poo poo.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

Like the guy is one of the most open predators out there but somehow nobody gives a poo poo.

Surely nothing to do with Drake being incredibly powerful in the industry.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Can't wait to find out Drake's verse on "Poetic Justice" is about like a fourteen year old or something

Mostly because that's the only Drake I've ever heard, I literally associate him with the "no/yes" meme more than I do... anything else he's ever done, actually, I never watched Degrassi either

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Drake also has a really creepy relationship with Millie Bobby Brown that smacks of a grooming attempt. Like the guy is one of the most open predators out there but somehow nobody gives a poo poo.

Pusha T gives a poo poo. He gives all the shits.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alhazred posted:

Pusha T gives a poo poo. He gives all the shits.

c'mon Surgical Summer part 2 with a beat interpolated from Thank Heavens for Little Girls, i need this

edit:
"You are fondling a child, let that girl go home
Polaski motherfucker playin' doctor oh noooo"

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 7, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

The last Your Mom’s House w/ Ari Shaffer as a guest. Any single given episode of this podcast would probably cause a 20 page derail, but we all know how Goons feel about comedy podcasters lol

Double: Whoa i forgot this episode also covers their views on Hardwick (guess how that goes)... comedy podcasters indeed
Yeah LA comedians who have made it circle the wagons to protect their own interests. They are hardly beacons of moral character. And because they are of an older generation and suck, their political views are never going to evolve to include- well sheev, anything new. Empathy for non binary folk, changing gender norms, etc. For them, sex outside of marriage, listening to Bill Hicks and vaguely gesturing about the man was virtue signalling enough and thats what their audience and reference group respond to so like-ffffffuck it. Its just generational shift continuing. The kids pulling fingers at the back of the assembly hall are now the teachers at the front. So they aren't going to be cool or chill to the new kids because then it acknowledges change which ironically makes them exactly how they saw the brat pack, etc.

The cultural of sexual assault in show biz runs strongly here in NZ. A prominent music scene dude who was 20 years senior to everybody else at the $10 gig was---- whoa! https://thespinoff.co.nz/society/11-04-2016/i-will-come-forward/
^ This is our lovely vice and investigating Andrew Tidball is what lurched the spinoff into relevance. i wish it would lurch off and die.
I also have close friends in the Auckland theatre scene who say at least one central figure has been abusing his power for a while but its an open secret and its really frustrating being just on the edge of knowing this stuff because I can't really do anything about it but if I knew a bit more (like his name) I could actually do something but thats probably what everybody says and the power these men have to shush everybody else would probably somehow work on me because what about my character makes me more likely to be courageous like that? I don't know.
e: bonus dude: https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-star-feminist-author-accused-of-preying-on-underage-girls i used to love his shtick and thank goodness i grew out of new sincerity/ the lovely indie poetry scene because that pit is just a sadness.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 7, 2019

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

i found this episode on Youtube and found the clip where they start talking about "Social Justice Warriors" and now if you killed everyone who walked in the back-door to a comedy club in LA who was over 40 you might lose some good people (I'd send a note to Patton to stay away for a while) but boy you might make comedy a whole lot better

edit: and man skipping around overall it's like a loving bad Howard Stern impression. talking about "hogging" and weird poo poo about "transsexuals" and farting in front of your girlfriend and it's just sad

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Patton "Joss Whedon is my best friend IRL" Oswalt, you say?

no one is safe, kill all your heroes, patiently wait to be told what is funny

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

i just got a memo in from SJW Headquarters with an update to the "What Is Funny?" list

spoilers: it specifically says you can go gently caress off

edit: also for anyone who missed the memo the new meme animal is the Echidna. please update your memeing accordingly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Literally every time a friend has suggested a comedy podcast to me its inevitable ended with me being grossed out by a podcast that was like 50% gross sexual stuff and misogyny and results in an uncomfortable talk with my friend.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This is obvious news but for the sake of the thread’s chronicle I just thought it should be mentioned that Hollywood, who totally sympathizes and cares for the people speaking up for the #metoo movement, last night gave a “Best Picture” award to a film directed by a pederast who left production halfway through.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pirate Jet posted:

This is obvious news but for the sake of the thread’s chronicle I just thought it should be mentioned that Hollywood, who totally sympathizes and cares for the people speaking up for the #metoo movement, last night gave a “Best Picture” award to a film directed by a pederast who left production halfway through.

A movie that, according to the reviews, was pretty average and got most of Freddie Mercury's story wrong for the sake of creating a dramatic film narrative anyway. There's no way that decision wasn't something made behind the scenes, likely with dollars or favors exchanging hands.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Oswalt tells a great story about how easily comedians lose it. It was on his blog. It's not surprising that he'd be susceptible to it. He'd just be a bit more aware of it happening.

I mean, he was also the guy who coined the terms 'brocialist' and 'brogressive' which refer to someone who's progressive right up until it inconveniences them. If this was a novel, that irony would be too on the nose.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

A movie that, according to the reviews, was pretty average and got most of Freddie Mercury's story wrong for the sake of creating a dramatic film narrative anyway. There's no way that decision wasn't something made behind the scenes, likely with dollars or favors exchanging hands.

Ehhh, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is weird and makes weird off-the-wall choices all of the time. All this probably means is that Rami Malek agreed to do go to all of the meals with members they have and was very charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

STAC Goat posted:

Literally every time a friend has suggested a comedy podcast to me its inevitable ended with me being grossed out by a podcast that was like 50% gross sexual stuff and misogyny and results in an uncomfortable talk with my friend.

About the only comedy podcasts I can listen to are the McElroy Brothers'.

graventy posted:

Ehhh, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association is weird and makes weird off-the-wall choices all of the time. All this probably means is that Rami Malek agreed to do go to all of the meals with members they have and was very charming.

With the Globes, the reason they do some weird poo poo is because it's been extensively well-documented that the awards are bought and paid for. The HFPA is a group of 80-some people who live in southern California, several of whom have said in interviews, on condition of anonymity, that it's an open secret among the membership that the winners go to the studios who do the best job of wining and dining them.